God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:57 PM

Dear Mikestoz:
It is so nice to you of doing research on the internet to help your girlfriend. I wished most families and friends did that.
It is shocking to hear, that your girlfriend had no signs of depression prior to cymbalta, and that cymbalta causes depression to people that take it for Fibromyalgia. I have suffered from Depression for several years, and it is a really hard illness to deal with. I can´t imagine, a mentally healthy person, suffering depression from taking a pill for physical pain.

I´ve had all the withdrawal symptoms that you mention. I also lost track of my words when speaking. Rage is one of the withdrawal effects of cymb. So you will have to be very patient, if you want to support your girlfriend. It is so sad to hear that this situation is ruining your relationship. But from what I´ve read, this situation should pass.
Wish you the best and keep us posted on your girlfriend progress and how you feel
hugs
cookie

#2 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:13 PM

My girlfriend quit taking cymbalta cold-turkey about 3 months ago. Things are not going well. The drug is supposed to be for fibramyalgia and depression. It helped her with the Fibramyalgia but the drug causes depression and other symptoms that are not desirable. She is growing increasingly irritable and confrontational. I have tried explaining to her that it is a symptom of the withdrawl but she is continually verbally attacking me. The Drx said that she is depressed but there were no signs of depression prior to taking or during the taking of Cymbalta.

Cymbalta withdrawls include night sweats, nightmares, lack of appetite, clumsiness, brain-zaps ( which I didnt understand while reading this forum, but has become clearer to me. Brain zaps to my G.F. are lack of concentration, headaches, confusion, loses track of her words in mid sentence.)

I am at my wits end. I love my girlfriend but her constant tirades of screaming and yelling at me or the absolute silent treatment is taking its toll
on our relationship. I do not know how much longer I could take of this. She is making me depressed. I am now screaming and yelling back as it is the only way that my words will get thru. I am a good person, but this is killing me. It is not in my nature to yell and this is hell.

The brain zaps we talk of are in addition to the things you mention. It's a bit like when you get a zap of static electricity, except it happens inside the brain. For most, it doesn't cause the other things, which are symptoms in their own right.

for me, they happened between several times a second at their worst, and a few times a day at best.

We've had a few on here trying to help their partner and it's a tough call. You're right that it's not sustainable in a relationship; you can only put aside your own needs for so long.

Does she know the relationship is under threat? Have you suggested seeking counselling, whereby YOU could mention your views to the counsellor and get their support, rather than it just being YOU who is trying to tell her what's happening.

One of the withdrawal side effects of Cymbalta can be something called 'depersonalization' which we only recognize once we're past that stage.

Another alternative is for you to go and see her doctor and tell them how concerned you are, and that it's going to end up being a deal breaker for your relationship.

Stay in touch here, if nothing else, at least we understand and accept what you're saying!

regards, Maureen.

#3 Doob

Doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCali
  • why_joining:
    Curently on day 6 of stopping "cold turkey"
    Just looking for some support.

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

The brain zaps we talk of are in addition to the things you mention. It's a bit like when you get a zap of static electricity, except it happens inside the brain. For most, it doesn't cause the other things, which are symptoms in their own right.

for me, they happened between several times a second at their worst, and a few times a day at best.

We've had a few on here trying to help their partner and it's a tough call. You're right that it's not sustainable in a relationship; you can only put aside your own needs for so long.

Does she know the relationship is under threat? Have you suggested seeking counselling, whereby YOU could mention your views to the counsellor and get their support, rather than it just being YOU who is trying to tell her what's happening.

One of the withdrawal side effects of Cymbalta can be something called 'depersonalization' which we only recognize once we're past that stage.

Another alternative is for you to go and see her doctor and tell them how concerned you are, and that it's going to end up being a deal breaker for your relationship.

Stay in touch here, if nothing else, at least we understand and accept what you're saying!

regards, Maureen.

hey Mike,
Has she been totally off the Cymbalta for this 3 month period?
Also is she on any other drugs? I have been Cym free for almost 60 days and I have had no wd symptoms for over a week.
Still get occassional brain zap and headache.
I almost lost my wife over the last year. Once I got off the cymbalata things are so much better.
Read, Learn and Share.

Doob
  • sandy63 likes this

#4 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:44 PM

Hi

My girlfriend stopped taking Cim about three weeks ago, but had tapered it some the few weeks before. She has experienced basically all of the physical signs of withdrawl as listed, and now she is saying she hates me and I was the reason she came off the medication. She is speaking occasional suicidal thoughts, but appears to be using these words as her anger. I refuse to argure with her, and called my counselor a trained Phsycologist, and she stated this si all normal and any yelling or anger back will only escalate matters and will not help her. So I am in it for the long run, even though I suggested she get back on the medication, she says there is no way she will get back on ever with all the side effects.

I too was at my wits end for a moment, and then I rememeber what love is all about. Unconditional and supportive. It is murder on me and her girls, but her girls are supportive of working through things. So I just have to keep my tougue and love her. I am helping her everyday by coming over and making sure dinner is made, and she can sleep. I put her on my gym membership so she can try to work out when she can, but even now she tells me she does not want me in her life at all, but prior to the medicine stopping she was maddly in love and wanted me 24/7 in her life.

It is absolutely crazy, but I know it and that helps.

Hang in there if you love her enough to help her get through. I would appreciate any and all prayers and advice.

Gary

Gary, in the year I've been posting here, there have been quite a few partners posting, out of concern for their partner. If you have a look around the site, using the search function too, you'll find some of their stories, which could almost be a rewrite of yours.

Sadly, it's a very common withdrawal effect. I nearly lost a good friend during withdrawal. He could do nothing right. He was at his wits end trying to say or do the right thing and all I could do was find fault and criticize.

One of the withdrawal effects is called 'depersonalization'; it's almost like someone else's brain has been put in our body. Things that were once lovely and familiar suddenly seem irrelevant. People's well intentioned words get twisted until it looks like they're the cause of the problem.

You're doing all the right things, and when she gets through this, hopefully she'll be able to look back and see what a rock you've been.

kind regards, Maureen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users