#1 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:
    I wish to stop taking cymbalta with the least amount of side effects possible

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:47 PM

4 months on 30 mg Cymbalta for anxiety. Plan to wean off this time, as cold turkey made me teeter between bouts of being one touchy hostile bitch and uncontrollable crying jags with no apparent cause. I also had a constant feeling of hopelessness and some suicidal thoughts.

I am beginning this taper tomorrow, with the plan to bead count down 10 percent a week if withdrawal isn't too problematic.

The reasons I decided to stop taking cymbalta:
1. 12 pound weight gain despite no change in eating
2. Constant fatigue
3. Inconsistent sleep patterns (some days I sleep 3 or 4 hours, some days more)
4. Constipation (although this has gotten a bit better over time)
5. "foggy" thought pattern and disinterest in anything
6. Dry, brittle hair
7. Due to divorce, I lose my insurance in 2-1/2 months

When I attempted to quit taking my cymbalta cold turkey I made it one week. The first couple of days went by without incident. Then everything went straight to heck. I felt that nothing in life would ever get any better and started to visualize different ways to kill myself. After considering several different methods, and going over the many reasons why it would be a very bad idea to commit suicide, I decided that I was WAY too tightly wound! I had a couple of rum and diet cokes, talked with a friend, and mellowed out.

My history:
1. ADD, I take ritalin 10 mg two-three times daily
2. Anxiety
3. Depression
4. Numerous allergies, I take hydroxyzine at bedtime for them
5. Asthma
6. I used to take both xanax and ambien, and had pretty hefty withdrawal effects when I stopped taking them.

I am also planning to review my plan with my family, friends, and a few trusted coworkers. This way, they can help me monitor how well I am doing and assist me in changing my plan as needed due to adverse withdrawal effects.

I will also be using benadryl as I have read at this forum of its benefits to some.

I hope to update here daily how its going along the way, and pray to God that I can get off this medication without killing someone! ;) Which makes me wonder... has anyone murdered someone coming off cymbalta? I wonder how well that would work as a legal defense? Scary!

KrisAnn

#2 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:28 PM

4 months on 30 mg Cymbalta for anxiety. Plan to wean off this time, as cold turkey made me teeter between bouts of being one touchy hostile bitch and uncontrollable crying jags with no apparent cause. I also had a constant feeling of hopelessness and some suicidal thoughts.

I am beginning this taper tomorrow, with the plan to bead count down 10 percent a week if withdrawal isn't too problematic.

The reasons I decided to stop taking cymbalta:
1. 12 pound weight gain despite no change in eating
2. Constant fatigue
3. Inconsistent sleep patterns (some days I sleep 3 or 4 hours, some days more)
4. Constipation (although this has gotten a bit better over time)
5. "foggy" thought pattern and disinterest in anything
6. Dry, brittle hair
7. Due to divorce, I lose my insurance in 2-1/2 months

When I attempted to quit taking my cymbalta cold turkey I made it one week. The first couple of days went by without incident. Then everything went straight to heck. I felt that nothing in life would ever get any better and started to visualize different ways to kill myself. After considering several different methods, and going over the many reasons why it would be a very bad idea to commit suicide, I decided that I was WAY too tightly wound! I had a couple of rum and diet cokes, talked with a friend, and mellowed out.

My history:
1. ADD, I take ritalin 10 mg two-three times daily
2. Anxiety
3. Depression
4. Numerous allergies, I take hydroxyzine at bedtime for them
5. Asthma
6. I used to take both xanax and ambien, and had pretty hefty withdrawal effects when I stopped taking them.

I am also planning to review my plan with my family, friends, and a few trusted coworkers. This way, they can help me monitor how well I am doing and assist me in changing my plan as needed due to adverse withdrawal effects.

I will also be using benadryl as I have read at this forum of its benefits to some.

I hope to update here daily how its going along the way, and pray to God that I can get off this medication without killing someone! ;) Which makes me wonder... has anyone murdered someone coming off cymbalta? I wonder how well that would work as a legal defense? Scary!

KrisAnn

The diary is a great idea; also, congratulations on sharing with family and close friends - it can ONLY help.

Just be aware that even those of us who didn't have anxiety and asthma before taking cymbalta, had problems with anxiety and difficulty breathing during withdrawal, so try not to panic, and just keep telling yourself that it's your poor brain trying to get back to normal, and not the REAL you.

I've wondered about the murder, too. Crumbs I could have been capable of it.

At least you've had those awful symptoms to compare with, and will hopefully feel a lot better than you did, even if you still get SOME symptoms.

regards, Maureen.

#3 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:30 PM

Dear Krissan:
Your taper plan sounds great. Drops of 10% a week. It is good that you are already at 30mg. (I had to start tapering at 60mg).

Yes, uncontrollable anger and crying are withdrawal symptoms I´ve experienced. Hopelessness is not constant for me, comes an goes with my mood swings.

I also gained weight (52lbs!!!!!). And sleep too much in the morning.
One thing that has happened since I started weaning is that my hair is falling, big time!

I agree with maureen. I am one who has had problems with breathing while weaning (I have no history of asthma). So if symptoms of asthma get worse do not panic!

I am so sorry to hear that you had this horrible suicidal thoughts when quitting cold turkey. But please, stay strong, things DO get better.

Now that you mention all the meds you are taking or took in the past: ritalin, hydroxyzine, xanax and ambien. I have two comments.
The first is that it seems you were taking many meds at the same time. One has to be very careful because cymbalta seems to have interactions with many meds.
I found this page useful to check when a prescribed medicine had interactions with cymbalta (www.drugs.com). Since had a bad experience once, when i took a medicine for flu and cymbalta. It was horrible. I felt drugged.

It is GRRRREAT that you are reviewing your plan with family, friends and coworkers!!!! WOW, it is so nice you have this net of support of trusted people, even at work! I wish I had that! Remember you also have us at this site to help you and vent.

Keep us updated on your progress
hugs
Cookie

#4 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:35 AM

Day One

Hello everyone!

Today was my first day tapering down my cymbalta. Actually mangaged to sleep a few extra hours today, which was very nice! Im excited to get off this medication, but anxious about it as well because I do not want to have the crazy mood swings like when I stopped cold turkey last time. However, I do feel a lot more at ease knowing I can add a few beads if needed to stabilize.

:) KrisAnn

#5 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:32 AM

In response to the combination of medications:

I was prescribed ambien about 2 years ago when I first became separated and was having a hard time sleeping. After a year of that I was having a lot of erratic behavior and weird side effects when taking it, and my Dr decided I should stop taking it. Two weeks of horrible withdrawal symptoms including auditory and visual hallucinations, etc.

About 5 months ago my Dr decided I should stop taking my xanax as it is extremely habit forming and I had been on it for about 6 months. I had erratic mood swings and inability to sleep as withdrawal symptoms, so the Dr started me on Cymbalta.

So I was never on all the meds at one time. I do seem to have a difficult time withdrawing from various meds. I think I'd rather be anxious then go thru this hell ever again.

Damn Sin-balta

KrisAnn

#6 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

Day 2

Tapering down 10% from starting dose of 30 mg
Starting weight was 180 pounds :(
Todays weight: 178.8

I need to refill my hydroxyzine (for seasonal allergies) so I did not take that at bedtime as usual.

Took 27 mg cymbalta and 50 mg benadryl at bedtime. I slept 8 1/2 hours. Today I feel TIRED, but not as "lethargic". Brain feels foggy. VERY nauseaus. In retrospect, eating a hershey candy bar for breakfast was probably not the best choice, but it doesnt usually make me feel like I'm gonna vomit.

The city water guy stopped by to remind me that I need to pay my water bill in the next hour or they will shut my water off and charge me an extra 50 dollars to turn it back on. I am currently trying to summon the energy to go do that. I have not taken my ritalin yet, need to do that.

My 8 year old son is adhd, has severe anxiety, and becomes somewhat ocd at times. Generally, he is able to stay focused and does not become obsessive on his ritalin. Today, however, was a bad day. He was very obsessed with concerns about bee stings and was repeating over and over in an angry voice that he "cant play outside because a hornet will sting me!" He took his normal dose of ritalin today. I was able to calm him down and remind him that if he became too angry he should come inside and not become violent with his friends. An hour later he stomped in angry and almost in tears and reported "they WONT follow the rules of our game, so I told them all to GO HOME!" I gave him a benadryl, congratulated him on handling the situation in a nonviolent way, and layed him down to rest and watch cartoons til the medication kicks in.

I havent taken a shower in 4 days. Usually, I shower every day. I just dont care. I hope this damn apathy ends soon. I am going to pay the water bill now and then shower.

KrisAnn

#7 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:16 PM

Dear KrisAnn:
It´s good that you were not taking all the meds at the same time.
I am sorry about the horrible w/d symptoms of ambien. I also experienced auditory and visual hallucinations when I took another medicine.

Eating candy is not a good idea. In general sugar (artificial) is not good for mood, it gives instant ups followed by a down. If you want something sweet you can eat grapes or bananas.

Yes, I now what it feels, not to have the energy/motivation to take a shower. However I think the longest I´ve been without showering has been 2 days ;)

hugs
Cookie

#8 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:15 AM

Day 2

I need to refill my hydroxyzine (for seasonal allergies) so I did not take that at bedtime as usual.

Took 27 mg cymbalta and 50 mg benadryl at bedtime. I slept 8 1/2 hours. Today I feel TIRED, but not as "lethargic". Brain feels foggy. VERY nauseaus. In retrospect, eating a hershey candy bar for breakfast was probably not the best choice, but it doesnt usually make me feel like I'm gonna vomit.

The city water guy stopped by to remind me that I need to pay my water bill in the next hour or they will shut my water off and charge me an extra 50 dollars to turn it back on. I am currently trying to summon the energy to go do that. I have not taken my ritalin yet, need to do that.

My 8 year old son is adhd, has severe anxiety, and becomes somewhat ocd at times. Generally, he is able to stay focused and does not become obsessive on his ritalin. Today, however, was a bad day. He was very obsessed with concerns about bee stings and was repeating over and over in an angry voice that he "cant play outside because a hornet will sting me!" He took his normal dose of ritalin today. I was able to calm him down and remind him that if he became too angry he should come inside and not become violent with his friends. An hour later he stomped in angry and almost in tears and reported "they WONT follow the rules of our game, so I told them all to GO HOME!" I gave him a benadryl, congratulated him on handling the situation in a nonviolent way, and layed him down to rest and watch cartoons til the medication kicks in.

I havent taken a shower in 4 days. Usually, I shower every day. I just dont care. I hope this damn apathy ends soon. I am going to pay the water bill now and then shower.

KrisAnn

Hope you're feeling better after a shower, and getting the bill paid. It can be overwhelming letting everything get behind, which I'm well familiar with. One way to tackle it is to have an objective for the different areas of your life WRITTEN DOWN; when you wake in the night with things worrying you, that is the FIRST thing you write down the next morning. Everything looks so much better in the light of day, and with other distractions it's easy to push the scary things to the back of our mind, and it's sooooo easy to let the days drift on.

So you have your list: Financial / House maintenance / Kids / Personal etc etc.

House maintenance may be something as simple as getting the rubbish out.
Financial may be as simple as paying the most overdue bill.
House maintenance may be as simple as tightening a screw.
Kids - well, kids are never simple, but they're lovable (when they're asleep).

None of these things take more than five minutes, but they're the things which pile up and overwhelm us.

The sense of satisfaction you'll get out of being that little bit further ahead each day will help, too.

cheers, Maureen.

p.s. Do as I say, not as I do. :)

#9 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:52 AM

Day 2

KrisAnn

KrisAnn, Why did you give your son Benadryl? I missed what that was for. I know he has some other troubles and meds for that. I just didn't know what the Benadryl was for.

Deb :)

#10 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

KrisAnn, Why did you give your son Benadryl? I missed what that was for. I know he has some other troubles and meds for that. I just didn't know what the Benadryl was for.

Deb :)

Deb:
My son is adhd, has anxiety, ocd at moments, and selective mutism. He is a special little guy. I gave him a benadryl because when he gets too overwhelmed with his anxiety it is the easiest way to bring him down. I don't like using it unless necessary because its pretty sedating.

KrisAnn

#11 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

Day 3

Took 27 mg Cymbalta at bedtime, hydroxyzine, and 2 benadryl. Slept 7 1/2 hours.
Weight today: 178.4 (down 1.6 pounds)

I am still pretty nauseas today. Allergies are definately worse. I can't tell if the nausea is from sinus allergies or cymbalta withdrawal. More fatigued today, but I did clean the house for about 30 minutes.

Two children are home sick today, so I had to change my plans for the evening :( Need to start working on paperwork for divorce, bankruptsy, and pay bills. Also need to figure out where Im going to be living after divorce is final. So I am a bit anxious tonight, but nothing I can't handle so far. lol I wonder why I have anxiety?? ;)

One more night at work then have 2 days off! :)

Going kayaking on Sunday morning and then fishing with my children. :)

KrisAnn

#12 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:19 PM

Dear KrisAnn:
It sounds like you have a lot of things to solve (paperwork for divorce, bankruptsy, and pay bills). I am so glad to hear your phrase “nothing I can´t handle so far. Lol”…..It is good that you have sense of humor, and a sense of control. If you suffer from anxiety these days is understandable
Great that you are going kayaking!!! sounds fun! it is a way to release stress.

Concerning your kid, I didn´t know what -selective mutism- was. I checked it out on the internet. And realized I´ve had something similar all my life. However I was never given that "diagnosis", I am just "shy" in certain circumstances.

I just hate how everything in this modern world has a name, diagnosis, and is considered an illness, when people can lead a normal life having these "diagnosis".
I have a friend who has ADHD, he is a succesful, marketing manager at a food company. Is married and has beautiful kids.

hugs
Cookie

#13 I am who I am

I am who I am

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:34 AM

I like your idea of an online diary- I feel like we have a lot in common as far as our past. I just started a post as well, titled 'please help'. Keep up the good work- I'll be checking in on you and really wishing you the best. WE CAN DO THIS!!!

Also- Maureen- GREAT IDEA for a daily task list!! I've been working on journaling, but I think a list of a few small things on a list each day will really help too! Thank you!

#14 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:45 AM

Cookie: It took a very long time to get the diagnosis of selective mutism for my son. Its basically a severe form of social anxiety. When he was a toddler people would approach us and say "what a nice little boy" as he cowered in the bottom of the shopping cart. Other little boys were always trying to jump out of the carts and race around, but my son was terrified of the world. He has been in special ed classes since he was 3. He would not talk in school until he was 7. Even if he had to use the bathroom, he would wet himself rather than ask for permission to go to the restroom. He freezes in different physical positions when anxious in public. You could literally pose him in whatever position you want, and he wouldn't move. He also makes animal noises when he gets too nervous in public, generally meowing.

Sometimes my heart breaks for him. The first time he answered a stranger asking "how are you today?" I cried.

His adhd actually makes it better. He's so hyper he has a hard time not being hyperverbal at times. It has really helped him come out of his shell. Thats how I picture him.. like a tiny new baby chick emerging from his shell. And I am there smiling down at him, so he knows the world is not so scary after all. :)

KrisAnn

#15 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:50 AM

I like your idea of an online diary- I feel like we have a lot in common as far as our past. I just started a post as well, titled 'please help'. Keep up the good work- I'll be checking in on you and really wishing you the best. WE CAN DO THIS!!!

Also- Maureen- GREAT IDEA for a daily task list!! I've been working on journaling, but I think a list of a few small things on a list each day will really help too! Thank you!

Thanks I am! And welcome to the forum! :)

Being ADD I am generally a list-maker too, as it is one of the coping mechanisms I use to stay on task. However, I am so overwhelmed right now at times that a list of things I need to do is almost unbearable to look at. It will pass and I will go back to my list making again :)

KrisAnn

#16 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:02 AM

End of Day 3

One more hour of work, then I am off for the weekend. It has been a long week. I am very tired. I look exhausted. Everyone keeps telling me that. My brain is foggy, despite my ritalin. It is hard to focus for long. I am a little anxious, though this has benefited me in that I am finally motivated to accomplish some to the things I have desperately needed to get done.. like paying bills and figuring out a plan for how much I will be able to afford to pay for rent when I am forced to move in a few months.

I am sad and tearful at times. I do not feel depressed or suicidal though. And I do not feel angry. I feel deep and emotional. I am going to write some poetry this weekend. I write better stuff when I feel this way. I don't know why.

A coworkers husband committed suicide last night. I feel sad for his children and family. I am glad that my children arent dealing with that because it has been close a number of times. It makes me see how torn apart they would be.

Today when I wake up I will focus on finishing my laundry washing.

KrisAnn

#17 I am who I am

I am who I am

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:04 AM

Wow KrisAnn- what a day for you. Sometimes the only thought that has kept me going is.. "It will be ok.. It will be ok". It always turns out to be that way- and maybe it is mostly a meditative measure, but that thought is basically a mental deep breath for me. I wish I could hug you right now.

I also need to tell you about how much reading about your son means to me.. the way you describe him and tell a story about a situation... there is so much love. WOW! Being a 'motherless daughter' (yes, that is an official name for us), I pick up on things like that so much more now. Even through the negatives.. you see and celebrate the positive. That is so wonderful. It shows that you are truly a good person and all o fthe good that you want to do for your children.

My counselor is college made me start a daily... journal/check list. Keeping track of my sleep, my eating habits, etc. One of the things she had me start doing was that I needed to do one nice thing for ME every day. I am a giver. I always have been. I missed my train the other night because I helped a man carry his stroller down a flight of stairs. If I have left the house that day, I know I will do at least 3 things like that to help other people. I can't help it.. I don't think about it- I just see them need help and I react. The journaling helped show me how little I did for myself. There were days where I couldn't write anything in that area because I hadn't done anything special or nice to myself. So, I worked on it then, and am better about it now.. but I wanted to tell you about this as it sounds like something you could use. Try it for a week straight. Some days I would get all the way to the end of the day and have forgotten to do something, so would stop to pick a flower at the park and put it in a vase when I got home. Or buy myself a mocha. It has to be something special, not expensive though.

I'll be thinking about you today. Also- I know those lows.. the poetry lows. They suck and feel depressing.. but also are part of the process. Embrace them.. think of the amazing things that you will write!! Yes, the thoughts can be scary... but instead of acting on them or letting them bring you down... just write it down or doodle about it. I read something once... it was back in high school, someone had written about being on anti-depressants.. "I may not feel my extreme lows anymore.. but I also don't feel my highs". For me, that is one of the things I hate most about Cymbalta and anti-depressants as well. They make you "middle".. sometimes even zombie like. There were days when I could've felt happier or sadder- but didn't due to this medication. I don't want to feel low/sad... but I think it will be worth it for me to feel my highs/happy again.

#18 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:00 PM

Cookie: It took a very long time to get the diagnosis of selective mutism for my son. Its basically a severe form of social anxiety. When he was a toddler people would approach us and say "what a nice little boy" as he cowered in the bottom of the shopping cart. Other little boys were always trying to jump out of the carts and race around, but my son was terrified of the world. He has been in special ed classes since he was 3. He would not talk in school until he was 7. Even if he had to use the bathroom, he would wet himself rather than ask for permission to go to the restroom. He freezes in different physical positions when anxious in public. You could literally pose him in whatever position you want, and he wouldn't move. He also makes animal noises when he gets too nervous in public, generally meowing.

Sometimes my heart breaks for him. The first time he answered a stranger asking "how are you today?" I cried.

His adhd actually makes it better. He's so hyper he has a hard time not being hyperverbal at times. It has really helped him come out of his shell. Thats how I picture him.. like a tiny new baby chick emerging from his shell. And I am there smiling down at him, so he knows the world is not so scary after all. :)

KrisAnn

KrisAnn, This post made me cry. Your son is so lucky to have a wonderful understanding Mother like you. I'm sure it hasnt been easy and we all have had regretful behavior in our pasts but you sound so centered when it comes to him. He is turely blessed to have you for a mom.

I'm glad there is something as harmless as Benidryl that can help him cope with these situations.

Deb

#19 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

KrisAnn

Dear KrisAnn:
Your son is lucky to have you as a mom. Every person on this earth is very special, and has qualities. I am sure he is an adorable child.
I would have cried too the first time he answered a stranger asking “how are you today” after all you described.
I am so glad that the “baby chick is emerging from his shell”.
Hugs
Cookie

#20 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

Day 4

Thank you All for your wonderful comments! :)

Took 27 mg Cymbalta, 2 benadryl, and hydroxyzine before bedtime. Slept 6 1/2 hours. Could have slept forever but it is my day off and I don't want to waste it sleeping. Thus is the reality of a graveyard shift employee. ;)

Woke up feeling ACHY in my joints, especially my hands. That is new. Took a couple of ibuprofen. I am tired/fatigued. Decreased appetite (thats new also) and some nausea, although it is much better today. I am in a pretty good mood today, feeling optimistic.

Weight: 178.2 (down 1.8 pounds) :D

Oldest son came and took his siblings to see Despicable Me this afternoon so I have a rare few hours alone. Its strange how quiet the house seems when everyone is gone, even though the TV is on. I am blessed with 5 wonderful, caring children. Even though the eldest is 21 and lives an hour away, he still comes home frequently to help me and do fun things with his brothers and sisters.

Being a single Mom is tough, my children make it almost easy. I am a lucky, lucky girl.

KrisAnn

#21 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:41 AM

Day 5

Journaling a little late today, its been a busy busy day

weight: 177.4 (down 2.6 pounds)

Took 27 mg of cymbalta, 50 mg benadryl, and my vistaril, plus 1000 mg of tylenol at midnight before bed AND two aleve at 4 am due to unbearable muscle spasms in my legs :(

slept 4 hours :(

Last night I was a little irritable and having a tough time with repetitive noises. That makes being a single mom with an 8 year old who had another 8 year old staying overnite a little rough. 8 year old boys are noisy, happy creatures! ;)

Today I feel foggy, slow thought process, confused. My focus is terrible. Bad nausea all morning and afternoon. And fatigue.. lets not forget fatigue. Too out of it to be irritated today. No anxiety so far.

Crappy weather changed kayaking plans so went for a ride on harley instead, which worked better anyway cuz of how Im feeling. Funny thing was, we have been riding all spring and summer, but today I asked my boyfriend "whats wrong with your bike?" and he said "what do you mean?" I said "its all shaky and making a weird sound" He listened to it for a while and said "ummm.. I don't think thats my bike, I think maybe its just you." lol He's so sweet. :) After riding for a little bit I realized I maybe had vertigo and my ears were popping. Haven't had that before. Took one of my ritalin, and about an hour later I felt almost normal.

Im thinking that I am going to stay on the 27 mg til the withdrawal symptoms are a little more tolerable. Maybe another 4 or 5 days.

On a positive note my hair is not falling out as bad and I am losing weight. Perhaps I will not be bald and fat after all :P

KrisAnn

#22 I am who I am

I am who I am

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:50 PM

You sounds great today! That is so wonderful!

I agree and am doing the same with my weaning, waiting a day or two after the withdrawal symptoms have gone away or at least are more mild. I think that as you get to lower and lower doses, the withdrawal effects will be more severe. Ick.

I went and saw Despicable Me last night and thought of you! :)

#23 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

Day 6

Took 27 mg Cymbalta, 50 mg benadryl, and hydroxyzine before bed. Slept 7 1/2 hours.
Weight: 178

Today I am TIRED! No dizziness, confusion, nausea today so far. But I have zero energy. Can barely keep my eyes open. I think I might go back to bed for a little while.

Only one load of laundry left to dry, so I did accomplish something this weekend! This week I need to balance my checkbook and pay bills.

KrisAnn

#24 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:21 PM

Day 7

Took 27 mg cymbalta, 50 mg benadryl, 1 hydroxyzine before bedtime
slept 8 hours :)

weight: 178

Today I am tired, but not exhausted. Otherwise I feel very good so far. Going to fair parade this afternoon with my children :) Laundry is all done for the week :)

I am going to decrease my cymbalta starting tomorrow and see how it goes.

KrisAnn

#25 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:36 AM

Day 7 1/2

Vertigo reared its ugly head late afternoon, along with nausea and fatigue. Hands were shaky and a hard time focusing. And lets not forget about diarrhea! And achy muscles and joints. Took 50 mg of benadryl and went back to bed for a couple hours. Woke up feeling much better.

Despite the withdrawal symptoms thus far, still beats cold turkey hands down! I am starting to take control of my life again and actually my living room is clean for the first time in months. The dishes are all washed. My laundry is finished and the grass has been mowed. Unfortunately, I have about 800 dollars due in bills and only 200 dollars in the checking account.

It is long past time for me to go to bed. My babies are sound asleep, the cat is curled up on the couch. It is quiet and dark as the world sleeps. Yet here I sit, alone and tired but unable to shut my brain off long enough to fall asleep.

KrisAnn

#26 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:56 PM

Day 8

24 mg Cymbalta, hydroxyzine, 50 mg benadryl

Slept 4 hours :blink:
Weight: 177.4 :)

I am DRYYYY today. Tired. A little bit achy, but not as bad as usual. Stomach is queasy, decreased appetite.

I am happy that though I am having withdrawal symptoms, they are mostly physical and not emotional. I would much rather go thru this than the insane mood swings I had when I tried to stop cymbalta CT. I would rather have nausea than RAGE. Most of the time I just don't feel good but I can handle that.

The fair is in town, I am looking forward to wandering around thru the buildings and eating a funnel cake! :)

KrisAnn

#27 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

Dear KrisAnn:
Keep on fighting!!...
You are right, I prefer having the physical symptoms than the emotional ones.
I do not dare to go cold turkey though. I´ve been weaning slowly because "supposedly" the withdrawal symptoms are going to be less, because the brain will adjust little by little.
hugs

KrisAnn[/font]
[/quote]

#28 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:57 PM

[quote name='cookie' date='14 July 2010 - 07:46 PM' timestamp='1279136780' post='14085']
Dear KrisAnn:
Keep on fighting!!...
You are right, I prefer having the physical symptoms than the emotional ones.
I do not dare to go cold turkey though. I´ve been weaning slowly because "supposedly" the withdrawal symptoms are going to be less, because the brain will adjust little by little.
hugs

[/quote]
[/quote]

Thanks Cookie :)

Im hoping this week goes as well as the first week did :)

KrisAnn

#29 JustJulz

JustJulz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:
    support and information to become a healthier Me

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

Hi, I noticed that you said recently that your hands are really achy- is that still happening? My hands are also extremely sore these days, and I'm not doing anything to make them that way. I wanted to blame it on the weather... but do you think Cymbalta can be affecting our joints too?

I'm going to keep reading your daily diary- it helps to have your experiences to compare to, so I don't feel like I'm in this alone. Thanks for posting and keep up with your plan.

#30 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:18 PM

Hi, I noticed that you said recently that your hands are really achy- is that still happening? My hands are also extremely sore these days, and I'm not doing anything to make them that way. I wanted to blame it on the weather... but do you think Cymbalta can be affecting our joints too?

I'm going to keep reading your daily diary- it helps to have your experiences to compare to, so I don't feel like I'm in this alone. Thanks for posting and keep up with your plan.

Thanks Julz! :) Its super helpful for me to post on a daily basis. Ive been a bit "arthritic" for about 5 years or so. I notice it when I do repetitive things like peel potatoes, etc.. in the joints of my fingers. Or when I pull weeds from the garden. But never like this. Yes, I am certain it is the cymbalta. They prescribe it for fibramyalgia, so it seems to make sense that it could cause joint achiness...

I have been taking 800 mg of ibuprofen once a day when I need to for the achy joints and it helps a lot. I also did some research at the following link and picked up a multivitamin today: Achy joints and vitamins that help

KrisAnn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users