eliza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • why_joining:
    need help & support - withdrawing from Cymbalta

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

Hi Everyone,

My skin just started itching like crazy. I feel like things are crawling all over my body. Is this a symptom of withdrawal? What can I do to stop this? This is horrible. I knew about Cymbalta and side effects when I started the medicine due to Fibromyalgia, but I wasn't aware of withdrawl symptoms. I was a mental health counselor years ago and I remember addicts going through this from various drugs. Why is Cymbalta doing this? This stuff should be taken off the market. I hope no one else ever experiences what I'm experiencing. (Eliza)

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:31 PM

Hi Everyone,

My skin just started itching like crazy. I feel like things are crawling all over my body. Is this a symptom of withdrawal? What can I do to stop this? This is horrible. I knew about Cymbalta and side effects when I started the medicine due to Fibromyalgia, but I wasn't aware of withdrawl symptoms. I was a mental health counselor years ago and I remember addicts going through this from various drugs. Why is Cymbalta doing this? This stuff should be taken off the market. I hope no one else ever experiences what I'm experiencing. (Eliza)

Dear Eliza:
I have also experienced severe itching while weaning. After several weeks it went away.

Check this site http://www.elevatedl...et/symptoms.php
It says that when liver enzymes are high, one can have itchiness. I quote a paragraph from that site:

"Itching may occur, as the substances that are normally dealt with by the liver are not taken care of, and eventually build up inside the body. As they remain in the bood and skin, itching may appear as a symptoms. This is medically known as pruritis".

regards
Cookie

#3 jennyo1960

jennyo1960

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia
  • why_joining:
    i have had some horrible side effects with cymbalta

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:22 PM

Dear Eliza:
I have also experienced severe itching while weaning. After several weeks it went away.

Check this site http://www.elevatedl...et/symptoms.php
It says that when liver enzymes are high, one can have itchiness. I quote a paragraph from that site:

"Itching may occur, as the substances that are normally dealt with by the liver are not taken care of, and eventually build up inside the body. As they remain in the bood and skin, itching may appear as a symptoms. This is medically known as pruritis".

regards
Cookie

i live in west virginiai just turned 50 in september and i think i may be slowly dieing from cymbalta i started taking it after yrs of depression unsuccessfully treated with other drugs ive taken it for 2 yrs after a hospital stay for the past yr ive been so nauseated and had right side rib pain my enzymes slowly went up my endocrenologist wanted to put me on colesterol meds but he had to do a sonogram first they did the sonogram i had gall stones a fatty pancreas and what they thought was a fatty liver well i had my gall bladder out the 25th of october he took pictures of my liver it turnes out i have CIRRHOSIS now and it took 2 and a half hours for me to wake from the anesthesia i could here everyone but couldnt talk or wake and my oxigen went real low all i think is i came close to death after that i went to my phyciatrist and told her i have to go off of this medicine the first 10 days i took 60 mg instead of 90 the next 10 days i took 30 mg instead of 60 the next 10 days i took 30mg every other day its driving me nuts i have horrible brain zaps i think some could be seizures im still nasuated from waking to sleep if i get any sleep im an insomniac now and im itching all over my body but no rash it may be my liver i fought for yrs to not be in this world from depression isaw my 16 yr old dead in bed had post tramatic syndrome lost my husband of 25 yrs to another woman but now i thought i was over the suicidal thoughts and was going to live but i dont kno how long i have with cirrhosis i cant believe it .i saw you on a discussion about cymbalta im looking for someone to fess up to the dangers of this terrible drug i cant work now and i only make 400 dollars ssi i cant hardly live like this i kno they have law suits reguarding cymbalta i may need a transplant i just wanted someone to kno my pleight i dont mind if you show this letter to anyone else this is the most i have typed in a long time my eyes r drifting as i get zapped while i type please if you could write me back id appriciate it sincerely virginia gue OH P.S. I DO NOT DRINK OR TAKE PAIN PILLS NOT EVEN GALLBLADDER SURGERY

#4 Nevergivingup

Nevergivingup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:32 PM

Hi Eliza, I've been withdrawing from cymbalta for about 6 weeks & I'm now 4 days without taking any of them. I saw your problem with itch skin & thought oh my goodness someone else is having the same problem. It's driving me crazy. I thought I must have fleas. The only way I get any relief is having a shower using a body brush & soapfree body wash. I then moisturise my whole body. I've also suffered with sweats so it's probably a combination due to the skin to the toxins coming out of the body. If you have any ideas that have helped please tell. How long has it been for you, the itching? Are you taking any cymbalta at all? I'm hoping it will get better the longer it is that I'm no longer taking it. Awful drug. Cheers! M.

#5 SunnyM

SunnyM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:18 AM

I too am having horrible itching problems. My neurologist put me on Cymbalta when I was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome last April. He said at the time it was because it helps with neuropathic pain (which it does), but has since told me that he didn't want me to be "unhappy" during the long recovery period from GBS (about 18 months.) I began weaning off , from 60 to 30 mg a day, in August, then to 30 every other day in September. I quit it this month. Bouts of crying, lack of energy, wanting to sleep... but the worst is this itching, which started a week or so after I quit the stuff. I am so glad to know it will go away! I hope all of you who are struggling with getting off the medication will get better soon. Cymbalta is NOT a drug I'd recommend to anyone!

#6 lopezbe

lopezbe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:19 PM

This is a terrible drug! I tried once before to get off but was not successful. I'm trying again. I know I'm very emotional because of the withdrawal but it brings tears to my eyes to read some of the postings on this blog. So many people suffering from this stupid drug. I have developed a red rash on my face. My entire body itches as if I had loose scalp hair all over it. I shower and scrub with antibacterial soap to no avail. I use expensive lotions. No success. Even my eyes itch! My lips feel as if I ate 2 bowls of highly salted popcorn. I have acne clusters all over my body. I was on 60mg of Cymbalta for 6 years! I started weaning in August 2011. went from 60 mg to 40 mg then 20 mg every other day. When I started 20mg every other day, the symptoms worsened. I can't work because I deal with the public and I don't want to lose my job because I "went off" on a customer. It was bad enough that I cried at work constantly. I came very close to divorce because I'm so edgy. I am a strong Christian woman and I know that God will heal me. I'm determined to stay off these drugs because they have started to damage my liver. Today, I contacted all the people I could from my church and just asked them to pray for me. I need to be saturated in prayer. One of the ladies from my church suggested I take Omega 3. I don't have any but I had purchased some vitamins for my severe dry eyes (another symptom). I took one of those vitamins today and the difference was immense! Really took the edge off. The itching is still there but I'm praying for that to subside soon. Even my eye lids itch!

#7 madbookworm

madbookworm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:33 AM

Today has been my second full day of quitting cold turkey. So far, my worst symptom (and I don't even know if it IS a symptom) has been pretty nasty diarrhea.

But I have had the itching too, especially at night. And it's EVERYWHERE - the insides of your ears, your eyeballs, just unbelievable. I have used liquid Benadryl gelcaps for the itching and they have helped a LOT. I recommend them highly.

Good luck, everybody.

#8 wendyday25

wendyday25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:32 AM

I too have severe itchy skin. there are big patchs broken out all over me. I just started coming off cymbalta this week. This is an intense reaction I believe from where it is leaving the nerves. I have neuropathy so, I know pain too. This is the worst drug that I have ever seen. Suicidal thoughts, and everything.

#9 wendyday25

wendyday25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:37 AM

This is a terrible drug! I tried once before to get off but was not successful. I'm trying again. I know I'm very emotional because of the withdrawal but it brings tears to my eyes to read some of the postings on this blog. So many people suffering from this stupid drug. I have developed a red rash on my face. My entire body itches as if I had loose scalp hair all over it. I shower and scrub with antibacterial soap to no avail. I use expensive lotions. No success. Even my eyes itch! My lips feel as if I ate 2 bowls of highly salted popcorn. I have acne clusters all over my body. I was on 60mg of Cymbalta for 6 years! I started weaning in August 2011. went from 60 mg to 40 mg then 20 mg every other day. When I started 20mg every other day, the symptoms worsened. I can't work because I deal with the public and I don't want to lose my job because I "went off" on a customer. It was bad enough that I cried at work constantly. I came very close to divorce because I'm so edgy. I am a strong Christian woman and I know that God will heal me. I'm determined to stay off these drugs because they have started to damage my liver. Today, I contacted all the people I could from my church and just asked them to pray for me. I need to be saturated in prayer. One of the ladies from my church suggested I take Omega 3. I don't have any but I had purchased some vitamins for my severe dry eyes (another symptom). I took one of those vitamins today and the difference was immense! Really took the edge off. The itching is still there but I'm praying for that to subside soon. Even my eye lids itch!

I too am a stronger believer in God. I have understand where you are coming from. I could not hardly attend church because of this drug. I would have outburst like you at church or the store. Please remember that we need to pray for each other to get healed. It does bring tears to my eyes reading this stories. yours is one that I can really relate too. I had severe suicidal thoughts while taking this drug. It is very dangerous. Everyday while on it I didnt want to live. However, I go to church too and I don't want to die or harm my self. So, I know it is this medicine.

#10 feelincrappy

feelincrappy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

I am just reading this, I know it's been awhile since you posted, but my eye dr. told me the Omega 3 is good for dry itchy eyes. Also try Benadryl. That can also help you sleep if you have trouble. :)

#11 ESSIE

ESSIE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDelaware
  • why_joining:
    Would like to talk with others with same problems.

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

Oh my gosh !I actually scratch so much I bleed .People look at me like I have bugs or something.Did not know cymbalta could cause this.I sympathize with you.Thanks for alerting me..... :rolleyes

#12 depressedmom2

depressedmom2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:01 AM

I am having this issue too!!! I was on 90 mg for several months (say maybe7) and did well ON the drug. My insurance stopped covering it and i was forced into a withdrawal with no warning when i ran out of pills and couldn't get new ones. The itching just started last night but was bearable. Now, 1 week to the day that i took the last one, i am coming OUT OF MY SKIN. It is 2am. I have taken Clonopin, Benedryl and CANNOT stop itching. EVERYWHERE. I had no idea there were going to be MORE symptoms of coming off of this crap. I tried to sleep ( i keep my room very cold due to night sweats) but kept twitching, kicking jerking, etc. And the ITCHING.... ARRRRGGGGGG . I just want to scream. I am crying as i type. I am so miserable. I am so tired. I have two young children, girl 9 and boy 10. My son has MAJOR behavior issues (ADHD/ODD/mood disorder) and i cannot deal with me and him at the same time. I have had suicidal thoughts. Today had been a decent day. Now i feel like i am back to ground zero. Losing my mind slowly. I am itching so bad i just want to take a knife to my skin and scratch. If the Benedryl isn't helping what else will?????

#13 plezhelp

plezhelp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • why_joining:
    life is not about what happens on the outside, it's how we percieve it on the inside.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

@ depressedmom2 - has anyone responded with other remedies?? i cannot say what will work for you but i continue to try different things = being open to change as the fkn side-effects change too! the best thing i am still doing is tepid Epsom-salt baths with baking soda, and apple cider vinegar - which has helped a lot with the itching; i have no idea which one of those things are the best/better 'healing' but know that they are all currently helping me. benadryl was helpful but only for awhile then my body just overrides it, its like my body is saying "enough...no more garbage plez!" pain meds are virtually useless to me right now - my body is at war with the fkn poison cymbalta and i think the cymbalta is covertly making all other meds useless = maybe it was a replacement for narcotics...the greedy bastards backassward way of getting in on the illicit drug-war-games!
the other thing i have/will use a lot in my baths is chamomile tea = i steep a couple bags and add to the water - and drink lots of the stuff too! just try to sit in it for at least 30/40 minutes = your body needs the time and its very soothing..mentally and physically. i try to wear only natural fibres {lots of t-shirts and cotton wrap skirts, pj pants are a staple for me lately too} no jeans for me as sweating of any kind sends me deep into the itchy-abyss. i have to watch my dairy intake, and sugar {i demand dark chocolate almost daily!} but these things can exacerbate the itching = FOR ME! i just recently learned that 'vanilla' is now something i am currently allergic to (i get headaches) b4 this shit i was virtually indestructible, guess it's now my turn to "take care of me!"
my only other advice is to treat yourself like this IS happening to one of your children = be patient and very kind and compassionate to yourself; remember the great saying "if momma aint happy...aint no body gonna be happy!"
keep us posted - be open to trying different things and finding out what works best at the time.
sorry and welcome to cymbalta-hell-games!

#14 sleepbaby17

sleepbaby17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

I too have severe itchy skin. there are big patchs broken out all over me. I just started coming off cymbalta this week. This is an intense reaction I believe from where it is leaving the nerves. I have neuropathy so, I know pain too. This is the worst drug that I have ever seen. Suicidal thoughts, and everything.

That's how it felt for me. The onset came randomly out of nowhere and dropped on me like a bomb. I was enjoying a very peaceful sleep (the first I have had in months) and then bam! I woke up out of my sleep in a panic. I blamed it on bugs or something that might have got into my room and was biting me all over. I kept waiting from some type of bump or bite mark to pop up but it didn't. So after a few days of this, it calmed down but started to flare up whenever I tried to sleep. 

It makes a lot of sense to me that it has something to do with my nerves since depression deals with a chemical imbalance of hormones in the body. It keeps me from scratching as much. I try to just rub the spots that's bothering me if I can resist. 

#15 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

The itchies are a normal symptom of withdrawal. Get some Benadryl or an antihistamine meant for skin allergies and it will go away

#16 pawestiegirl

pawestiegirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:23 AM

So glad I found this website. I've been itching all over for about a week. It suddenly dawned on me that it could be the withdrawal of Cymbalta. Now I feel better -- well, except for the itching!

#17 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:45 AM

Welcome PWG

How much Cymbalta were you taking and are you now completely off it?

#18 pawestiegirl

pawestiegirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:42 AM

I have been on 60 mg for about 15 months. It's not doing anything for me and I didn't realize the dangers or the problems with withdrawal. This past week, I was taking 60 mg every other day on doctor's orders. Today I pick up a prescription for 30 mg that I'm supposed to take every day for a week, then every other day. She's only prescribing 20 capsules. So, far, the itching is my only symptom, though I do have swelling in my abdomen -- going for a Cat Scan today. I hope this stupid med didn't do a lot of harm. 

#19 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:35 AM

Your dr, like so many others, is making a mistake. The every other day thing usually makes the withdrawal much worse. You have been lucky. Cymbalta has a 12 hour half life. So by taking the med every other day you jack up your Cymbalta level one day and drop it like a rock the next. The normal technique is to open your capsule and count the beads in it. There is usually around 300 beads. Then each day you remove 3 beads more. This provides a nice slow withdrawal. HOWEVER, given how little withdrawal you have had at this point I would consider staying on your current track. You may be one of the lucky ones that has little problems. Time will tell.

#20 Liz2017

Liz2017

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:26 AM

I did a Google search for "itchiness from SNRI withdrawal", and this was the second result to pop up.  

SO GLAD I found this thread!  I'm on day six, and couldn't sleep because of the itchiness.  I thought it was fleas; our poor dog has had a terrible time with them lately.  Glad to find out it's not just me!  

I can't believe that this stuff is as hard to get off of as Paxil.  (This is my second time getting off an anti-depressant.)  

I was taking it as a replacement for Paxil, which I had taken for years with no ill effects.  The Paxil stopped working, so I asked my doc for some suggestions, and she suggested Duloxetine.  But it's been nothing short of a nightmare.  Literally.  I'm NOT a suicidal person, but this stuff made me want to jump off a building it made me feel so horrible.

I'm also a Christian.  I asked for prayer from a FB Christian group I'm a part of.  (I'm not a fan of letting people know what's going on with my medications if I have to see them often; it gets old having to explain it all.)  After this, I'm going to try and stay off of all of it unless there's some kind of serious emergency.  :/  This just isn't worth it.  

My doc was the one who recommended I stop taking it entirely.  I don't know if tapering off would have been a great idea for me if it would have made things WORSE instead of BETTER.  I'm scheduled to see an actual psychiatrist on the 26th, which is still a couple of weeks away.  If I make it through this without ending up in the psych ward first.  >_<  

#21 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:28 PM

Hi Liz 2017,

Welcome to the forum. Paxil and Cymbalta are the worst to withdraw from. There is another one which I can't remember the name.

You got off Paxil, you can get off Cymbalta. Of course, cold turkey is never recommended except when the drug is doing you real harm. Which I think that it's the case for you.

To help you with the itching, the anxiety, Benadryl is real good. You may need a benzo to help you through this. Fishinghat will come along with other suggestions.

Come back anytime, we are here for you always.

#22 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:46 PM

Gail, I think you have me confused with someone else...I was never on Paxil and have been off Cymbalta for almost 4 yrs now.

I also have never had an itching problem...Remember you,Tara and myself?? You have me really confused now - I have not been on line for a bit as we had Irma  here and I have been busy.

Remember me???  I am TryinginFL (TFL)

Liz (in FL) ;)

#23 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:37 AM

Hi sweet Liz, sure I will always know who you are.

I was responding to Liz 2017, a new member. Sure got your attention here! Love xxx

#24 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

Hi Liz and welcome to the site.

Hi to TFL as well (alias the 'other  Liz, lol).

Going cold turkey is risky. The FDA has issued warnings about this including suicide, seizures and many other bad effects.

The benzos are effective typically but are very addictive with a bad withdrawal. You might consider trying hydroxyzine or clonidine. Both are typically effective and do not have withdrawal.

Many of us on here are Christians and as I one I will pray for you as well. God bless.

#25 Baronne

Baronne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 01:42 AM

On Sep 4, 2021, I completed a 4.5 year brutal, agonizing taper off of 60 mg of Cymbalta.  During the last three years of my taper, I had and still do have widespread itching resulting in bloody rashes and sores that take months to heal.   The itchy patches migrate to different parts of my body leaving scars behind.  My dermatologist prescribed Triamcinolone cream which was useless. I have found absolutely nothing that helps, even Benadryl tablets or topical cream.  One of the itchy sores on my upper arm developed into a lump which turned out to be squamous cell carcinoma which the dermatologist removed.  

The itching is somewhat better since being off the drug completely, but it's still raging and wakes me up at night.  I scratch all the time like a dog with fleas.  I've been cleaning blood stains off my sheets, gowns and clothing daily for three years.  I do wonder if Cymbalta has caused some kind of permanent neuropathic or autoimmune skin disorder....I guess I'll just have to wait and see.  

#26 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 October 2021 - 07:29 AM

Baronne

Have you tried diaper rash cream? Many members have found it useful for their itching. Also, most members with itching find there symptoms slowly improve over the 6 to 8 minths after their last dose so hang in there.

#27 Baronne

Baronne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 01:53 PM

Baronne

Have you tried diaper rash cream? Many members have found it useful for their itching. Also, most members with itching find there symptoms slowly improve over the 6 to 8 minths after their last dose so hang in there.

Thanks, fishinghat.  I've tried every kind of remedy and nothing helps.  It's truly bizarre and so very disrupting to one's life. 

#28 Baronne

Baronne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 02:49 PM

I completed a 4.5 year slow taper off of Cymbalta on Sep 5, 2021 and at 11 months off am still having severe itching, spontaneous diffuse scabbing and migrating, itchy bloody rashes and scabbing all over my body.  The large areas of itching, scabbing and bleeding park in certain areas of my body for several weeks before disappearing and then reappear in different places.  It appears that Cymbalta triggered an autoimmune reaction that seems to be permanent.  Nothing helps including OTC diaper rash cream, Benadryl, etc nor does any prescription cream or topical application.  The dermatologists are completely clueless and are of no help, whatsoever.  I'm wondering if there are others who are years off Cymbalta but continuing to have these hideous symptoms.  

I also continue to have akathisia, fear, terror, insomnia, personality disintegration, depersonalization and anhedonia.  At age 69, I've lost all relationships as friends and family have given up on me since the nightmare has gone on for so many years.  They are worn out and have no understanding, patience or compassion left.  It's odd how such people are so compassionate towards those with chronic physical illnesses that they can understand, such as Parkinson's and multiple sclerosis.  However, invisible conditions such as chemical brain injuries from antidepressants are completely out of their range of grasp as they don't believe that drugs they've been brainwashed to believe "help so many people" can do such harm.  So, they just give up on those of us so afflicted and move on to those with traditional physical illnesses whom they can believe and understand.  

#29 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 August 2022 - 04:13 PM

Hi Barrone

I do not know of any members who has suffered the itching for as long as you have.

As far as the rest of the symptoms I am not shocked. While very unusual I have seen members go as long as 3 to 5 years for [peripheral neuropathy and/or tinnitus to resolve. I remember reading various research articles on antidepressant withdrawal where researchers not that it can take nerves around 2 years to stabilize after the last dose.  Don't give up hope yet. There is still improvements that can be made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users