Photo

Can These Symptoms Still Be From Withdrawl?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 merrymumsie

merrymumsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    still have withdrawl symptoms

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:51 PM

yes, you read that right: I am still experiencing debilitating symptoms 10 months after going off cymbalta. Last Sept. (mid month) I took my last pill. I was originally taking it for tiredness/weakness... not depression.

I was on it for only a couple months, then went off fairly quickly (I was told to taper off but only 60, 30,then 0-- over 2 weeks)... within days i thought i was dying. Figured out it was the withdrawl (i didn't know about the possibility) but didn't restart the meds. I thought I was nearly through the worst of it... WRONG! I had major zaps, fatigue (in bed/sleeping 20 hrs/day), very bad pins/needles&pain in limbs(hands,arms, legs - too the point where i could bearly feed myself/ walk etc), memory loss, dizziness, visual pain/light sensitivies... so many things... <_<

Things have improved over the months - but not by much -- I still sleep a ton, am super fatigued by the slightest effort (unload the dishwasher), dizzy, unsteady, and still have the peripheral neuropathy (pins/needles/pain in limbs)...My symptoms get worse if I am stressed, or if i exert myself much. I 'pay for it' if I do 'too much' --example: if I go somewhere with my kids --like take them to a movie/dinner.
I can't do housework, shop, or look after my kids on my own (on a whole day/daily basis )
I feel like i have MS or something (my doctor is having me tested for that)
I am NOT depressed...
CAn these symptoms STILL be from the withdrawl? any ideas for me? thanks ! :)

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:11 AM

Dear Merrymumsie:
Maybe I am not the right person to give you an answer, because I am still on cymbalta. I started weaning 11 weeks ago.

Thank you for posting after 10 months of quitting and giving us this feedback (although not a good one).

Why would the doctor prescribe cymbalta for tiredness? if it is used for fibromyalgia or depression?

Concerning your question, asking if what you are feeling right now are still withdrawal symptoms, these are my comments. I am not a doctor, but what I do to know if a symptom is withdrawal or not, I try to think about how I felt in the past, before cymbalta was prescribed. If I had a certain symptom before cymbalta, then is the initial illness coming back. If it is a new symptom, then I think it is withdrawal.

From what you mention, I think the fatigue you are having is the returning of your initial illness, the one for which cymbalta was prescribe. The rest: dizziness, pins & needles sounds like withdrawals. However it is so weird that you still have these symptoms after 10 months.

What does your doctor say???? besides getting you checked for MS?

hugs
Cookie

#3 PacificTreeFrog

PacificTreeFrog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

Merrymusie:

2+ year off after only 35 20 mg doses (3 wks on, 5 wks weaning) still have what seem to be residual symptoms: fatigue, anxiety, hostility, some suicidal thoughts, peripheral neuropathies, acute back and leg pain, unsteadiness, chills and sweats, etc. Must pace myself to get anything done, generally there's backlash pain and exhaustion. So little gets done. Thank God I'm retired, single, don't have a family, relationship, or job to worry about.

How are things for you now? What have your doctors had to say about these long-term debilities? Please let me know how you're doing now and what you have learned.

Thanks, and all the best.

#4 maudelady07

maudelady07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • why_joining:
    I am joining because Cymbalta has ostensibly ruined my life because of the withdrawal symptoms. I am trying to cope and would like to help others cope.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

MerryMusie: There are a couple of YouTube videos I was watching today...people basically just vloging about their symptoms. However, if you search "cymbalta withdrawl" on YouTube there are a couple of videos of people still having long-term effects, one woman is two years off the Cymbalta and is still having symptoms.  Best to you and you are not alone in your struggles.

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

Merrymumsie, apparently it can be from 10 months ago. I just posted (on Cymbalta in the News) about some ssri research that showed around 15% of those who go through withdrawal experience symptoms for up to 1 year after discontinuation of the ssri.

#6 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Yes this can be withdrawals and it can also be from taking cymbalta. There are others like Heartfeathers, tomitsu and gargan who are still dealing with issues created from taking it. I was reading not too long ago about possibly permanent changes in brain caused by antidepressants. If you google it there is a surprising number of articles concerning it (or maybe not so surprising after experiencing Crapalta).

Another avenue that should be investigated. Now if only someone with some influence would get interested in what this drug does to people.

#7 tomitsu

tomitsu

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:58 AM

I'm 1 year and 7 months from being off cymbalta and I was on 60mg for about 6 years. I'm still going through crap. I also lost like 35 -40 lbs after I stopped cymbalta. Cymbalta as you all know - was killing me while I was taking it and its still trying to get me and I've been off of it for 1 yr 7 months! I'm very angry and all I want is my life back.

#8 getbacktoactive

getbacktoactive

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

Merrymumsie,

I can absolutely relate - I'm having many similar symptoms. I'm in the process of getting a thorough workup (rheumatologist, allergist, etc) to rule out anything organic. I'm fairly sure it's due to the Cymbalta, but doctors have assured me that's impossible. It sucks to feel so sick with no real relief. I highly recommend supplements (see my supplements list on the nutrition board), Sea Bands for the vertigo, and lots and lots of rest. Hang in there, I'll be thinking about you.

#9 Heartfeathers

Heartfeathers

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • why_joining:
    I no longer trust the medical profession and I will NEVER take another prescription drug again! NEVER!!

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

If you wean off too fast you WILL suffer protracted withdrawals.  I'm coming onto 2 years of this battle.   DOCTORS HAVE NO FREAKING IDEA ABOUT THIS DRUG. THEY LISTEN TO THE DRUG REPS.   I wish they all had to take this poison and then TRY to come off.   

#10 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

Hi Heartfeathers

So that is what I did wrong and yet I went much slower than what the doctor figured it whould take (but then he is a Moron anyway). I would love him to have to take this garbage but then with his luck he would probably be in the 80% of those who have few side effects when stopping.  Maybe if we put them on a dose of 90 or 120mg a day and then had them go every second day and then every third day or cold turkey it would have the desired effect.

I would like him to have to deal with a totally messed up thought process like me all because he didn't bother to take the time to do the evaluation he was supposed to do before starting me on that crap.

I am having a very angry day today because I am so sick and tired of feeling either sad, angry, depressed and/or ill. I didn't have to deal with these kinds of things much before I took Crapalta. That freakin Moron had the nerve to say to me that maybe I was like this before as he couldn't know for sure as he hadn't been my doctor for that long. (4 freakin years the Moron has been my doctor).

I wonder if this ever will end. I wonder if I can sue my doctor.

#11 Heartfeathers

Heartfeathers

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • why_joining:
    I no longer trust the medical profession and I will NEVER take another prescription drug again! NEVER!!

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:29 AM

You have 2 years from your last dose to sue, I'm told.   Do it.     Also, don't believe that 80% have no problem getting off.  Someone pulled that number out of their azz.

#12 rebound

rebound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:40 AM

yes, you read that right: I am still experiencing debilitating symptoms 10 months after going off cymbalta. Last Sept. (mid month) I took my last pill. I was originally taking it for tiredness/weakness... not depression.

I was on it for only a couple months, then went off fairly quickly (I was told to taper off but only 60, 30,then 0-- over 2 weeks)... within days i thought i was dying. Figured out it was the withdrawl (i didn't know about the possibility) but didn't restart the meds. I thought I was nearly through the worst of it... WRONG! I had major zaps, fatigue (in bed/sleeping 20 hrs/day), very bad pins/needles&pain in limbs(hands,arms, legs - too the point where i could bearly feed myself/ walk etc), memory loss, dizziness, visual pain/light sensitivies... so many things... dry.gif

Things have improved over the months - but not by much -- I still sleep a ton, am super fatigued by the slightest effort (unload the dishwasher), dizzy, unsteady, and still have the peripheral neuropathy (pins/needles/pain in limbs)...My symptoms get worse if I am stressed, or if i exert myself much. I 'pay for it' if I do 'too much' --example: if I go somewhere with my kids --like take them to a movie/dinner.
I can't do housework, shop, or look after my kids on my own (on a whole day/daily basis )
I feel like i have MS or something (my doctor is having me tested for that)
I am NOT depressed...
CAn these symptoms STILL be from the withdrawl? any ideas for me? thanks ! smile.gif

Omg! I thought I was almost through this! 6 moths to date and all of the symptoms like zapps, dizziness,etc. have stopped but the fog still lingers. Organising my house is impossible I'm so glad my youngest child is almost 15 as I could not cope with a small child. I was once house proud and a clean freak and now I can barely motivate myself to shower on alternate days. I don't even talk about it to my family anymore or my doctor as I know they're sick of hearing it and I truly doubt they believe what I say... I've truly reached the end and find myself desperately exhausted by this poison, out is looking like a good option because I can't deal with this nightmare any longer, the thought of exceeding a year is unbearable...

#13 Cloudy513

Cloudy513

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEast coast
  • why_joining:
    Somewhere to vent and find information regarding withdrawal.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

I just finished weaning myself off last month. I now never know how my day will go from hour to hour. The head zaps have let up some, but the pain zaps throughout my body are debilitating! When I was on the cymbalta all I did was sleep and stay drenched in sweat. Now I can stay awake, but if hurts so much to move around it's not worth it. I lay in my recliner most days waiting to get my life back. I couldn't believe I was still in so much pain so looked up this forum to see what others are experiencing. Depressing to hear how long this can last. I have started rubbing myself down with Vic's vapor rub all over my arms, shoulders and back with a lotion applicator. It at least helps with my comfort level while I sit I my recliner.

#14 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:39 PM

Hi shantessa, welcome! So glad you found us .... Lots of support, information, humor and positive stuff to be found and shared here ...I'm 9 wks off, cold turkey due to loss of insurance .... Good days outnumber the bad days for me now... But man, when it gets bad, it's beyond description.... Today was great, for example, but tonight I've got red hot pokers in my eyeballs .... Optic nerve, I guess ... Anyway, I can't keep my eyes open long enough to type much, just wanted to greet you and let you know you're not alone.....

Are you taking nutritional supplements and eating the foods that help?

You'r Vic's rub idea is one I haven't heard ... ! Would Epsom salt baths or soaks be helpful? The magnesium, in Epsom baths and as a supplement, help my muscle pain a lot ....

Hang in there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users