108 replies to this topic

#61 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:
    Will be helping my wife detox from cymbalta.

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:03 AM

11/11

Finally starting to stabilize..... she was able to make it thought the night without taking Benadryl. She still was "itchy", but it was tolerable. Will probably let the 20mg go another week or so to solidify the symptoms. Have a good weekend all......

Watchdog

#62 RickWC

RickWC

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:21 AM

RickWC-

Based on my experience with this (two years), I would say emphatically no. HOWEVER, one must keep in mind that we are all "different" in that our physical/chemical makeup differs slightly from person to person. I have heard of people being able to stop with minimal w/d effects, but these are few and far between. Since the cymbalta alters the chemicals in the brain, you need time for it to adjust to any change in dosage. People on cymbalta have found that the smaller the drop, the less pronounced the w/d effects are..... this seems to be especially true when you get down to the lower dosages ie; 20mg or less. Alternating days/dosage is also not good. Cymbalta does not stay in your system long enough to do this. You will essentially be withdrawing and reinstating every other day. Prozac in many cases seems to be helpful in the detox process. Your body will let you know what works and what doesn't. Take it easy and don't be in too big of a hurry, your mind will thank you for it!

Good luck!

Watchdog

Thanks for your advice and sharing your experiences. My physical/chemical makeup seems to be quite different from your wife. I am taking 60 mg a day and can easily skip 1 day with no symptoms except maybe my depression gets a little worse. It seems like Cymbalta has made me feel more depressed then I was before I started taking it.

As far as dosage, I don't notice much difference. About a year ago, I was seeing a psy doctor for depression and he put me on Wellbutrin. When things didn't get any better, he upped the dose. Things still didn't get better so he thought that the Cymbalta and Wellbutrin weren't balanced so he upped my dose on cymbalta from 60 mg to 120 mg. I tried this therapy for about 3 months and decided that the extra cymbalta wasn't doing any good so dropped back to 60 mg with no symtoms. A few months later I quit the Wellbutrin with no symtpoms as well.

Now I have been alternating between 60 mg and 30 mg but am not sure if there is a difference because I started taking Prozac on Tuesday. That has made me feel a lot different so it's hard to say if the drop in cybalta is affecting me. After saying all that, I'm still scared. I quit cymbalta cold turkey for 4 days due to some unplanned circumstances and it was a nightmare. I really don't want to go through that again.

#63 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for your advice and sharing your experiences. My physical/chemical makeup seems to be quite different from your wife. I am taking 60 mg a day and can easily skip 1 day with no symptoms except maybe my depression gets a little worse. It seems like Cymbalta has made me feel more depressed then I was before I started taking it.

As far as dosage, I don't notice much difference. About a year ago, I was seeing a psy doctor for depression and he put me on Wellbutrin. When things didn't get any better, he upped the dose. Things still didn't get better so he thought that the Cymbalta and Wellbutrin weren't balanced so he upped my dose on cymbalta from 60 mg to 120 mg. I tried this therapy for about 3 months and decided that the extra cymbalta wasn't doing any good so dropped back to 60 mg with no symtoms. A few months later I quit the Wellbutrin with no symtpoms as well.

Now I have been alternating between 60 mg and 30 mg but am not sure if there is a difference because I started taking Prozac on Tuesday. That has made me feel a lot different so it's hard to say if the drop in cybalta is affecting me. After saying all that, I'm still scared. I quit cymbalta cold turkey for 4 days due to some unplanned circumstances and it was a nightmare. I really don't want to go through that again.

RickWC-

It would appear that the Prozac is doing it's job. Usually bouncing back and forth between dosages has a detrimental effect. Be careful when getting in the lower dosages. Keep us posted.

Watchdog

#64 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:16 AM

11/13

Getting better....... marginally. The itching problem continues to improve, but is still lingering. Everything else is somewhat stable. The occasional memory/time gap happens every so often, but all in all, thing are OK. At least her head is reasonably clear. Dreams are an issue (vivid) but are manageable. Still at 20mg, will remain there for another week. Energy level continues to rise.... she is back doing things she enjoyed previously. It is good to see one can return to a life prior to cymbalta!

Take care....

Watchdog

#65 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:07 AM

Dear Watchdog:
I hope the itching gets better. I have also had memory gaps. Dreams are not an issue for me.

#66 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:40 AM

Dear Watchdog:
I hope the itching gets better. I have also had memory gaps. Dreams are not an issue for me.

Hi Cookie-

Yeah, the itching thing is not cool...... it is currently confined to her right arm at this time. Our MD checked it out yesterday, but was at a loss to explain it (imagine that). He is however, willing to work with us (her) to complete the detox process w/cymbalta. Spoke briefly with our family phamacist.... he said to take a 20mg dose every other day.... every third day.... etc., etc.. Misinformed. My wife is having a bout with pleurisy right now, so will not be reducing the dosage until that has cleared up. She is slightly more open to the possibility of another a/d to take up the slack when she stops the cymbalta 20's. She is still opposed to "splitting" the capsules. It's her call, will keep you apprised.

Take care

Watchdog

#67 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:08 PM

Dear Watchdog:
My itching comes and goes away. I usually feel itchy at night, mostly on my legs and hands. It is good that the MD is willing to work with you during this process. Keep up the strenght and support you are giving to your wife.

#68 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

11/29

Well, here we are..... today my wife has run out of her 20mg capsules. She does not want to further reduce the dosage prior to going off cymbalta completely. So......... tomorrow it begins. She has not been feeling all that great previous to this, so am bracing for the worst. We will see. Will keep you advised as this unfolds. Wish us luck, and keep her in your thoughts.

Thanks

Watchdog

#69 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:19 PM

Here we are.... day 3 off the cymbalta. My wife spent the night in the hospital for "non-cardiac" chest pains, as well as the usual nausea/body aches/vertigo, etc.. An extensive battery of tests showed some non-cymbalta related body chemistry issues which are treatable. She had previously "blacked out" twice at the doctors office (this is why she was hospitalized) for no apparent reason. Things are a little dicey right now. She is now at home, and seems to be better today. It is such a problem trying to ascertain what "ailments" are caused by the cymbalta detox, and which are medical in nature. It's enough to make you crazy. Will keep you up to date as I can.......

Watchdog

#70 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:03 PM

Here we are.... day 3 off the cymbalta. My wife spent the night in the hospital for "non-cardiac" chest pains, as well as the usual nausea/body aches/vertigo, etc.. An extensive battery of tests showed some non-cymbalta related body chemistry issues which are treatable. She had previously "blacked out" twice at the doctors office (this is why she was hospitalized) for no apparent reason. Things are a little dicey right now. She is now at home, and seems to be better today. It is such a problem trying to ascertain what "ailments" are caused by the cymbalta detox, and which are medical in nature. It's enough to make you crazy. Will keep you up to date as I can.......

Watchdog

Update;
Still having dizzy spells, and something new...... I will be talking to her for a couple of minutes, and she will look at me and say "have you been talking?". This is more than the usual tune out the spouse thing..... she is having trouble "comprehending" verbal communication, also, if she turns her head quickly, it is as if it takes a second or two for her "brain" to catch up. Good thing she is off work for a few days. Back later.....

Watchdog

#71 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:22 AM

12/4

Well, yesterday was a relatively good day. She was up and around, was able to get some shopping done, etc..
This morning, back to total body aches, and "flu" symptoms. Mood swings are a little fierce now too. Am keeping a low profile at this time. I hope this is the "storm before the calm" as it were.... it looks like she is gaining on the energy level once she is up and around. I imagine this will take some time to stabilize, as she did the 20mg to 0mg drop...... so far she is toughing it out. Back after a bit....

Watchdog

#72 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:20 PM

Dear Watchdog:
I read that your wife has been 4 days completely off the med. I read also that the first days were not easy but today she had a better day. I hope she has the strength to overcome this. Concerning verbal comprehension, I haven´t had that. What I have had, is that I do not remember words when I am speaking, so sometimes I have to stop talking for a few seconds until I find the word. I am down to 4mg. The previous week was horrible for me emotionally: depressed, dark, hopeless. But the past week was very good for me. I am going very slow, specially because of the christmas gatherings. I have people visiting and I want to be able to function and relate.
Keep me posted

#73 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:29 PM

Dear Watchdog:
I read that your wife has been 4 days completely off the med. I read also that the first days were not easy but today she had a better day. I hope she has the strength to overcome this. Concerning verbal comprehension, I haven´t had that. What I have had, is that I do not remember words when I am speaking, so sometimes I have to stop talking for a few seconds until I find the word. I am down to 4mg. The previous week was horrible for me emotionally: depressed, dark, hopeless. But the past week was very good for me. I am going very slow, specially because of the Christmas gatherings. I have people visiting and I want to be able to function and relate.
Keep me posted

Cookie-
Yep..... finally off the evil drug. I think today is day 5 or 6. I would say at this point, body aches are the worst symptom she is experiencing at this time. Mood swings are a little touchy, but she is aware of them, and able to "maintain" a level head. Her energy level is definitely improved, still working on the itching/sleep problem. But all in all, looks like we are headed in the right direction. Good luck on your continued journey, and I hope the Holiday season goes well for you.

Watchdog

#74 Hol

Hol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:
    I need advice and support from others who have suffered from stopping (and starting) Cymbalta. I never joined a forum and I would like to connect with others who may offer advice, support and hope.

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

Cookie-
Yep..... finally off the evil drug. I think today is day 5 or 6. I would say at this point, body aches are the worst symptom she is experiencing at this time. Mood swings are a little touchy, but she is aware of them, and able to "maintain" a level head. Her energy level is definitely improved, still working on the itching/sleep problem. But all in all, looks like we are headed in the right direction. Good luck on your continued journey, and I hope the Holiday season goes well for you.

Watchdog

#75 Hol

Hol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:
    I need advice and support from others who have suffered from stopping (and starting) Cymbalta. I never joined a forum and I would like to connect with others who may offer advice, support and hope.

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:51 PM

Watchdog,

First, I want to say that you sound like a wonderful husband and caring person.

I have severe itching and rash issues so I understand. I have taken Benadryl for years because I think it works the best for allergies, etc… However, my pain doctor wants me to stop taking Benadryl (not quite there yet). Too much, or being on it for so long, may actually make the symptoms worse. A nurse practioner also mentioned that it could actually raise histamine levels in the body. I just wanted to share. I tried Tavist, but I do not know if it worked. Of course, she could also try things like Claritin, Zyrtec, etc…

Here are a few good lotions/shampoos to help with the itching:

• Sarna – The original cools the skin as it has menthol. The one for sensitive skin does not contain menthol, but you can keep it in the refrigerator for extra relief. The original has a strong smell so it is best to use at home.
• CeraVe – This actually works as a time-released moisturizer. Thus far, it works better for me than Aveeno and other fragrance-free lotions.
• Selsun Blue (or a generic one) – I do not recommend using this every day, but it does cool down your scalp and body. Just make sure to follow up with a fragrance-free lotion.

P.S. Zofran is the best nausea medication. I have taken the eight mg ones as needed for years (my migraines and fibro make me nauseous). I also seem to have no side effects from that.

I hope your wife continues to do well.

#76 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:01 AM

Watchdog,

First, I want to say that you sound like a wonderful husband and caring person.

I have severe itching and rash issues so I understand. I have taken Benadryl for years because I think it works the best for allergies, etc… However, my pain doctor wants me to stop taking Benadryl (not quite there yet). Too much, or being on it for so long, may actually make the symptoms worse. A nurse practitioner also mentioned that it could actually raise histamine levels in the body. I just wanted to share. I tried Tavist, but I do not know if it worked. Of course, she could also try things like Claritin, Zyrtec, etc…

Here are a few good lotions/shampoos to help with the itching:

• Sarna – The original cools the skin as it has menthol. The one for sensitive skin does not contain menthol, but you can keep it in the refrigerator for extra relief. The original has a strong smell so it is best to use at home.
• CeraVe – This actually works as a time-released moisturizer. Thus far, it works better for me than Aveeno and other fragrance-free lotions.
• Selsun Blue (or a generic one) – I do not recommend using this every day, but it does cool down your scalp and body. Just make sure to follow up with a fragrance-free lotion.

P.S. Zofran is the best nausea medication. I have taken the eight mg ones as needed for years (my migraines and fibro make me nauseous). I also seem to have no side effects from that.

I hope your wife continues to do well.

Thanks so much for the advice on the itching remedies..... will pass then on this AM. The itching problem does seem to be getting better with each passing day. The biggest issues at this time are the body/joint pain, and nausea. The Zofran is keeping the nausea in check, and the Toradol is a help for the pain, but she is trying to stay away from it as much as possible so as to not cause other problems. A tough situation for sure. If I am not mistaken, she is about 1 week off the cymbalta now. Am looking forward to some of these symptoms ceasing soon.

Take care

Watchdog

#77 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:06 PM

Dear Watchdog and Hol:
Today I started itching badly on my forehead. I had not experienced that before. This was in the afternoon but then at night I developed a rash/redness on face. Right now I am very itchy. What do you recomend? Is there any danger if I do not take any pills for the rash???

#78 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:29 AM

Dear Watchdog and Hol:
Today I started itching badly on my forehead. I had not experienced that before. This was in the afternoon but then at night I developed a rash/redness on face. Right now I am very itchy. What do you recomend? Is there any danger if I do not take any pills for the rash???

Cookie-
My wife has had little if any luck with topical creams/ointments. The benadryl in tablet form worked best for her. Our new MD has prescribed a new topical solution, but she has yet to use it. I will find out what it is and let you know. Her rash has been confined to her right forearm only. Will post as soon as I have the info.

Watchdog

#79 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:31 AM

Now at ten days plus......

After much conversation with our MD, the mutual consensus is that many "apparently unrelated" symptoms may come and go while the body/brain normalizes. The hard part is to deal with those symptoms in a matter which will not create further problems down the road. As such, we have treated the outbreaks of rash/body sweats et al; with the absolute minimum of antibiotics, etc.. It is tedious, but we ARE inching ahead. Keep the faith, and realize, this drug can cause problems both mental and physical, that no one anticipated.

Watchdog

#80 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:30 AM

Now at ten days plus......

After much conversation with our MD, the mutual consensus is that many "apparently unrelated" symptoms may come and go while the body/brain normalizes. The hard part is to deal with those symptoms in a matter which will not create further problems down the road. As such, we have treated the outbreaks of rash/body sweats et al; with the absolute minimum of antibiotics, etc.. It is tedious, but we ARE inching ahead. Keep the faith, and realize, this drug can cause problems both mental and physical, that no one anticipated.

Watchdog

I just hope these symptoms go away an brain does normalize after a while

#81 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:53 AM

WOW!
A good day yesterday. Has been so long since I have seen my wife in such a good mood with energy to match, I almost wouldn't recognize her. I am very optimistic at this point. There is still some itching, and morning body aches, but it is definitely getting better. Even she made the comment that she "had not felt this good in a long time". Good to see her back. After so long on this drug, one starts to believe that maybe it's them and not the drug. I have seen otherwise, and there is hope!

Hang in there!

Watchdog

#82 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:30 PM

WOW!
A good day yesterday. Has been so long since I have seen my wife in such a good mood with energy to match, I almost wouldn't recognize her. I am very optimistic at this point. There is still some itching, and morning body aches, but it is definitely getting better. Even she made the comment that she "had not felt this good in a long time". Good to see her back. After so long on this drug, one starts to believe that maybe it's them and not the drug. I have seen otherwise, and there is hope!

Hang in there!

Watchdog

Dear Watchdog:
I am so happy to hear that your wife had a good day!!!!
hugs

#83 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:38 AM

12/15

Off to the MD's office....... body aches are a problem. The Toradol works, but it is short term. Still having issues with the itching as well. Going to see if anything long term can be done while we wait for these symptoms to dissipate. Will let you know what the outcome is when I return.

Watchdog

#84 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:32 PM

12/15

Off to the MD's office....... body aches are a problem. The Toradol works, but it is short term. Still having issues with the itching as well. Going to see if anything long term can be done while we wait for these symptoms to dissipate. Will let you know what the outcome is when I return.

Watchdog

Back again......
After 2 1/2 hours, and a shot of Demerol, my wife is floating right along. All kidding aside, the Doc is well aware of the pitfalls of trying to diagnose and treat a "symptom" of cymbalta detox. He told us it would not be a quick and easy ordeal, but he wants to be sure and find a medical/physical reason for her problems before treating them. He said he does not want to mask, or compound her symptoms by throwing drugs at them. I really like this MD. We have a blood panel scheduled to rule out several possibilities..... will let you know the outcome when I have good information.

Watchdog

#85 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:18 PM

Dear Watchdog:
It is good that you found a good MD. I totally agree on not masking the symptoms by throwing drugs, but to find a physical reason for her problems.
I hope she gets better each day

#86 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

12/21

Update;

Well..... so far ALL tests have come back negative. On one hand, this is good news. On the other hand, this is starting to solidify the assumption that the cymbalta (and recent cessation)is to blame for all of the current symptoms. There are still a few tests pending, but unless something shows positive, we are playing the "waiting game" to see if and how long it will take for these issues go away (if ever). The Doc seems to think at this time that her brain/body is basically in shock due to the loss of the cymbalta, and may take a couple of months to "right" itself. Sooooo, there it is. Will keep you advised.

Hang in there.... it IS getting better.

Watchdog

#87 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

Dear Watchdog:
I am glad all test came back negative. Yes, the body is in shock for the lack of medication.
I had a good week (emotionally) however, new symptoms keep on showing. The new symptom I have, is knee pain. Remember I took cymb for Depression, not Fibro or pain.

#88 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:31 PM

Dear Watchdog:
I am glad all test came back negative. Yes, the body is in shock for the lack of medication.
I had a good week (emotionally) however, new symptoms keep on showing. The new symptom I have, is knee pain. Remember I took cymb for Depression, not Fibro or pain.

Cookie-

Body aches, joint pain, extremity pain, even cramping of toes & fingers/hands seems to be associated with the cymbalta roller-coaster. The fibromialgia diagnosis for some is sketchy at best. Previous to taking cymbalta, my wife had no aches/pains to speak of. Have not really come across a "cure" at this time. My wife had to come off the Toradol, as it is just short term. She is currently taking a low dosage of Percoset as needed to lessen the body/joint pain. Some days are good, some not so good. As previously stated, we are just trying to ride out the cymbalta "storm"..... hopefully in a few weeks, we should start to see improvement.

Take care

Watchdog

#89 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:34 PM

Cookie-

Body aches, joint pain, extremity pain, even cramping of toes & fingers/hands seems to be associated with the cymbalta roller-coaster. The fibromialgia diagnosis for some is sketchy at best. Previous to taking cymbalta, my wife had no aches/pains to speak of. Have not really come across a "cure" at this time. My wife had to come off the Toradol, as it is just short term. She is currently taking a low dosage of Percoset as needed to lessen the body/joint pain. Some days are good, some not so good. As previously stated, we are just trying to ride out the cymbalta "storm"..... hopefully in a few weeks, we should start to see improvement.

Take care

Watchdog

Please keep me posted on her progress. I hope, you see improvements soon.

#90 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:06 AM

12/30

Hi to all-

Well, it's been another week. Not much new to report...... still having problems with the nausea, body aches/pains. Have been having issues with low energy as well, but I think this is due to the lack of sleep from nausea/pain. Although she won't be so quick to admit it, I believe things are improving (slowly), as she has been able to take less pain meds, and nausea pills and still function. Up until a few days ago, it was an ordeal just for her to get up and get moving. She works 3-11 at a hospital, so the ritual was work, come home and sleep (sporadically) until 1 hour before work..... you get the idea. As of late, she has been getting up at 8:30-9:00, and making it through the day. So, things are getting better. Just wish it wasn't taking so long. Even our new MD can't believe this process. If he wasn't seeing all the negative returns on her tests, he himself said he would not believe it! Cymbalta is (expletive) toxic pure and simple. I shudder to think what will be found out about this drug at a later date. One can only hope that ALL the symptoms will dissipate over time.

Here's to a better New Year......

Watchdog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users