Photo

Omg How Long Are These Symptoms Gonna Last?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 krissym71

krissym71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    i want to feel connected with other people experiencing the same symptoms as me

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:57 PM

its been exactly a week without it after being weaned from my doctor... I have brain zapps like every few minutes, dizzy, diarrhea, muscles aches and i feel like I'm goin to rip someones head off! How much longer does this last? Will i ever be normal again? Like before this stupid drug. I cannot believe how toxic this drug is!! HELP!! how long is withdrawal gonna take? thank goodness for this website...

#2 kathyl

kathyl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
  • why_joining:
    Recovering from withdrawals from Cymbalta 2010. Currently 2015

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:49 PM

its been exactly a week without it after being weaned from my doctor... I have brain zapps like every few minutes, dizzy, diarrhea, muscles aches and i feel like I'm goin to rip someones head off! How much longer does this last? Will i ever be normal again? Like before this stupid drug. I cannot believe how toxic this drug is!! HELP!! how long is withdrawal gonna take? thank goodness for this website...

I don't think anyone knows how long. I only know that I believe that I will get healthy. I have good days and not so good days. One thing I do know is that no matter how sick you feel, do not give up. Promise yourself that you will take a walk or call a friend no matter what. Do not give up.
Keep going and believe. I also am going to start taking Omega 3 and vitiman E today. I hope this will help with the withdrawals.
Good Luck and we are all with you in spirit.

#3 Sandlion

Sandlion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:
    Pregnant and going off Cymbalta cold turkey (on doctor's advice). Want to know about others' experiences with this process, as my doctor told me there would be no side effects.

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:07 AM

Timelines can vary greatly from person to person, but when you quit the drug altogether the worst symptoms last for a couple of weeks and things improve from there. Just know that you are not alone, and those terrible side effects you describe are pretty normal (unfortunately!) It's such a horrible process, but just remind yourself each day that this WILL end! For me (cold turkey from 60mg) the worst was over by day 14 and I tended to have better days, with the odd bad day, after that.

I took fish oil/other Omega 3 and also found that Gatorade helped -- maybe it's the salt replacement after all the nightsweats. Also found that brainzaps got worse when I went for more than a couple of hours without food, so small healthy snacks can be useful (after the nausea and the stomach cramps go away, that is!)

Best wishes to you!

Sandlion

#4 AllyC

AllyC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    I am having terrible withdrawal symptoms from cymbalta.

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:29 AM

I just found this site and I feel so relieved. Everything that I have been experiencing I see everyone else has felt too. But I am also so angry at my dr. I called and left a message with her nurse explaining what was happening to me and she had no clue what I was talking about. She didn't even bother to talk to the dr. She said " you are going to have side effects when you take those kind of drugs." I felt like a junkie or something. How can they be so misinformed?? I am on day 13 and crawling out of my skin. I am so scared to interact with anyone because I might bite their head off or get embarrassed when I zone out. Anyway this is my first post and I am so happy to read everyone elses comments!

#5 NotWaving

NotWaving

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • why_joining:
    Day 3 no cymbalta after being on it for about 18 months, other AD's for 6 years before that.

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:29 PM

I just found this site and I feel so relieved. Everything that I have been experiencing I see everyone else has felt too. But I am also so angry at my dr. I called and left a message with her nurse explaining what was happening to me and she had no clue what I was talking about. She didn't even bother to talk to the dr. She said " you are going to have side effects when you take those kind of drugs." I felt like a junkie or something. How can they be so misinformed?? I am on day 13 and crawling out of my skin. I am so scared to interact with anyone because I might bite their head off or get embarrassed when I zone out. Anyway this is my first post and I am so happy to read everyone elses comments!

The reaction you got doesn't surprise me at all, unfortunately.
Doctors seem to be (1) in complete denial, (2) lying through their teeth, or (3) dangerously uninformed when it comes to this damn drug.
I HATE what coming off it is doing to me (and a hundred other people on this site)!!!
Seriously, how could they NOT TELL US it would be like this? I would NEVER have tried it in the first place and I'm sure almost everyone else feels the same way!
I know my intense anger right now is just a withdrawal symptom but I still can't calm down!
And let's not even mention the crying spells and random bouts of hysterical - sometimes inappropriate - laughter.
HOW COULD THEY NOT TELL US ?! Do the people who make this crap know what it does?! I feel like a damn heroin junkie :'-(

#6 Yoda

Yoda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    I took Cymbalta for 3 years. Suddenly I experienced Serotonin Syndrome. I tapered off of Cymbalta slowly and have been off it completely for 3 weeks.

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:24 PM

In early August I went from 30 mg of Cymbalta to 40 mg. That's when the Serotonin Syndrome kicked in, except no one knew what it was. I went to 4 doctors and 2 ER's and finally figured it out myself. One doctor even thought I was faking it!?! One ER said it was "psychological." When your blood work is good and your EKG is good, they can't think outside the box. Then the taper started. October 14 was my last dose of 10 mg. of Cymbalta. My doctor had me add 10 mg. of Prozac the last few days so I would not completely stop an SSRI. I take Omega 3 Fish Oil, Vitamin C and B's (in the form of Emergen-C) 3 times a day, which had really helped. Eating several small healthy meals is a must. Ativan has been added to the mix. My psychiatrist has admitted he wasn't familiar with this, but rolled up his sleeves and said, "Let's figure this out together."

The night sweats also seem to be day sweats as well. Anyone else have this? I completely relate to the rage, then manic laughter. Thank goodness my co-workers have known me for four years. They are supportive and willing to listen. Getting through the workday is truly a challenge.

Today was so busy, I didn't get lunch. Big mistake! Nausea and dizziness were 10x worse. Had to miss my daughter's Fall concert tonite. That has never happened.
Let's all keep each other posted and hang in there together. We are on a horrible journey together, but not alone.

By the way, I'm an RN!

#7 Jenny

Jenny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    I read some posts and would like to respond and get others advice

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

I just found this site as well and almost cried. I had talked to a few people that had been on antidepressants in the past to find out exactly "how long am I going to feel like this"?

I have not been on the drug for a long time, around 9 months. Orignally for unexplained pain in my back, sacrum and hips. No real explanation except for the Fibromyalsia excuse.
When I took the first 3 months of 30mg, doctor bumped me up to 60mg for 1 month. After that, I thought I wanted to see if it was helping my back pain as I was in physio and chiro for the last year as well. So I just stopped taking it...not even really on purpose. I ran out. By day 4 I was aware that I was not myself. I thought I had an inner ear infection. When I moved my head it was swimming. Definitley like taking some illegal drug! I also was crawling out of my skin. I called it the Itchy Scratchy show! I actually tore my skin open as it felt like bugs crawling on my skin. My face and arms the most....so I am sure it looked like I had some different kind of addiction! LOL
So I went back on the 30mgs when I realized what was happening, then talked to my doctor..who suggested 1 30 every other day...then wean it out even more. So far, I cannot get passed day 3 or 4! I start to swim in the head, get extremely exhausted. So I take the pill. I have read on here of people splitting the capsule open to take less than 30..that may help. I am not sure if I am hurting or helping myself by taking it when the symptoms come back but again, like I have read-we need to keep our jobs through this. I DID have to talk to my boss about it, but she knows about my back etc so it was no suprise when I told her what was happening to me.

So glad to have found this site. I did not think I had emotional problems before but I sure do now. Very bitchy from time to time....no fuse at all and no filter! I just say what I feel! lol.

I want this to be over so bad as it is affecting my relationship with my fiance. I have 2 teenagers (not his) and we are having a tough time with them...so when we get talking I take it as "attacks"! We end up fighting! I need this to be over!

I like some of the suggestions that I have found on here and plan on hitting the natural store tonight!

Thanks

#8 Elaine

Elaine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • why_joining:
    I want off CYMBALTA yesterday but am doing a slow withdraw

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:40 PM

My doctor is weening me off cymbalta by having me take 60mg every other day while taking 10mg Zoloft in between. It has been 6 days since I started this! Starting last night I couldn't quit crying. I have exploded at my teenage daughter and at work today already..followed by hysterical crying, I feel like I can't !stop. I have brain buzzing and my head is swimming, loud noises bother me and I'm very anxious. I had to go tell my boss today after I flipped out over nothing. I don't know if I can make it through the workday??? I am a single mom and have other stresses beside what this drug is doing to me. I'm glad to find this website, I had no one that would understand what I am going through

I would totally stop that type of weaning and go with counting beads or weighing the capsules. I used a scale that weighed in micrograms and am now down to 7 beads today and my last dose will be Friday. I have also been following the program for withdrawal from www.pointofreturn.com. During my withdrawal I have only had a few minor symptoms such as diarrhea, tight muscles in neck and a small amount of anxiety which has passed. I take fish oil, magnesium, vitamin D3, B complex, tart cherry extract, amino acids, a whey protein powder to promotoe glutathione production and maintain a clean diet free of all stimulants and toxins. NO white flour, sugar, MSG, coffee, tea, artificial sweeteners, red meat only once per week, organic food wherever possible. Of course there are times when I can't avoid some of those things but I now notice a difference when I do eat them.
Try making some of these changes and see if you notice any improvements.

Best wishes,
Elaine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users