darren44

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAustralia. South Australia.
  • why_joining:
    I want to get off of this stuff.

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:48 PM

I am having a bad reaction to the 60mg dose.
I convolse when ever I try to sleep or are tired (most of the time)
Saw my GP and he said I should stop straight away.
Asked him about the withdrawal symptems of this and he said there were none.

What rubbish I told him I feel it if i miss a capsual for 1 day.
He said I was incorrect.

Going for blood test and MRI.

cheers

#2 kathyl

kathyl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
  • why_joining:
    Recovering from withdrawals from Cymbalta 2010. Currently 2015

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:02 PM

You know that withdrawals are real and we know they are real. That is what matters. I was taking 60mgs when I started weaning. I am on day 38 now with cold turkey around day 21 and am feeling much better due to taking fish oil, vitamin E, apple cider, travel sickness pills (over the counter) and my dr gave me anti nausea pills. I also was deep breathing through the brain zaps.

I don't have the Zaps, nausea, dizzyness, or confusion anymore.

I can tell you to believe and never give up.
Kathy

#3 darren44

darren44

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAustralia. South Australia.
  • why_joining:
    I want to get off of this stuff.

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:59 PM

You know that withdrawals are real and we know they are real. That is what matters. I was taking 60mgs when I started weaning. I am on day 38 now with cold turkey around day 21 and am feeling much better due to taking fish oil, vitamin E, apple cider, travel sickness pills (over the counter) and my dr gave me anti nausea pills. I also was deep breathing through the brain zaps.

I don't have the Zaps, nausea, dizzyness, or confusion anymore.

I can tell you to believe and never give up.
Kathy

day 7 of cold turkey. going ok. a bit down, short tempered. still have the convolsions.
9 days off of this stuff. really light headed yesterday. to day im tired and feel like throwing up all the time. I still convulsions and they are driving me crazy.

#4 maddysalome

maddysalome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:
    I've been on antidepressants since I was 14 years old for OCD and severe anxiety. I'm now 23. I felt like I was just floating through life and wasn't experiencing true human emotion. It's now nine years later and I'm not even sure If I need this drug, so I've decided to stop numbing myself. But what's scary is that I don't know what normal feels like...

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:46 PM

I talked to my doctor about getting of Cymbalta. I was taking 60mg and he told me to just try taking 30mg for a week then stop cold turkey. WTF. Taking the 30mgs sucked...but do you know what sucks even more? ZERO. He has no idea what it feels like and it makes me angry that he was so nonchalant about it...and who the hell was this pediatrcian that was so eager to write this prescription out to a child?!

#5 purplemusic

purplemusic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

I talked to my doctor about getting of Cymbalta. I was taking 60mg and he told me to just try taking 30mg for a week then stop cold turkey. WTF. Taking the 30mgs sucked...but do you know what sucks even more? ZERO. He has no idea what it feels like and it makes me angry that he was so nonchalant about it...and who the hell was this pediatrcian that was so eager to write this prescription out to a child?!

I agree... 30mg sucks and zero is worse! My doc said the same thing about reducing the amount, but she told me to do it differently. She suggested alternating days for a month at a time; 60mg one day then 40mg the next. I actually did just fine the first month without feeling a thing. The next month, I did 40mg one day and 20mg the next. Again, no problems for a whole month. Since 20 is the smallest mg, she suggested 20mg one day and zero the next. I tried this for a week and felt horrible. Find this site looking for some help and read about counting beads. I've started taking 18 beads out of a 20mg capsule and I'm doing fairly well. Experiencing some discomfort but nothing compared to zero. I will try this for a week or two and see how it goes, then maybe try taking more beads out. I'm going to do this last step S L O W L Y. Anyway....it horrifies me to think that a pediatrician was going to give this to a child! Our pediatrician prescribed some meds for my youngest son that he should have never taken. I still love him dearly, he is a great man. But doctors today need to do more research on drugs before just giving them out to anyone. Speaking of your doctor being nochalant....I was experincing menstral migraines and told my OBGYN. He prescribed birth control for 3 months at a time so that I would only have 4 migraines a year. Like an idiot, I did this for several years, going in every year for my physical asking him to test my hormone levels. He was not interested. I started seeing an allergy doctor who is natropathic and I told her about it. She tested EVERYTHING! She took me off the bc and started me on .1cc of DHEA cream. I haven't had a headache for a year now. Drugs, drugs, drugs, is all the medical society can think of using. Hope you're doing better. I'm still in the weaning process, but looking forward to being rid of this drug forever.

#6 TXcounselor

TXcounselor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    On Cymbalta for about a year for peripheral neuropathy. Withdrawal from the drug has been hellish and life-changing. Need support and want to support others.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

I know it has been awhile since anyone posted here, but it looks like people still view it from the view count. After reading forums and finding out I'm not alone in these horrible withdrawal symptoms, I called my neurologist who prescribed Cymbalta and he said people don't have a problem getting off of it...there is no withdrawal. It's like he told me there was no such thing as the boogeyman and I am sitting right next to the boogeyman (and he's MEAN). What's interesting is I talked to 2 pharmacists about weaning (since I got no advice from the neuro who doesn't believe in the boogeyman) and both agreed that getting off of Cymbalta can be terrible. One said my brain doesn't know how to function without it, but it will relearn in 2-4 weeks. Why do the pharmacists know about this but the doctors don't?!?!

I ended up calling a doctor friend who explained that trying the every-other day weaning method I was trying causes peaks and valleys in my brain and weaning daily would be better. He suggested going from 30mg daily to 20 daily for about 5 days, then opening capsules and dumping some out to make roughly 15 mg for 5 days, then 10mg for 5 days (it doesn't come in smaller doses than 20, which is a whole other forum...damn you, Eli Lilly). He said my doc probably denied "Cymbalta withdrawal" for 2 reasons - one is that the Cymbalta reps tell the docs that there is no withdrawal so the docs probably don't know about it or hear enough about it to know it exists and how horrible it is; also, he objected to the term "withdrawal", for reasons I still don't understand. Basically, semantics. Maybe "sheer hell" is a more clear term.

Good luck to everyone sitting with the boogeyman right now. Don't let your doctor tell you it doesn't exist.

#7 Guest_crushynn_*

Guest_crushynn_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

I know it has been awhile since anyone posted here, but it looks like people still view it from the view count. After reading forums and finding out I'm not alone in these horrible withdrawal symptoms, I called my neurologist who prescribed Cymbalta and he said people don't have a problem getting off of it...there is no withdrawal. It's like he told me there was no such thing as the boogeyman and I am sitting right next to the boogeyman (and he's MEAN). What's interesting is I talked to 2 pharmacists about weaning (since I got no advice from the neuro who doesn't believe in the boogeyman) and both agreed that getting off of Cymbalta can be terrible. One said my brain doesn't know how to function without it, but it will relearn in 2-4 weeks. Why do the pharmacists know about this but the doctors don't?!?!

I ended up calling a doctor friend who explained that trying the every-other day weaning method I was trying causes peaks and valleys in my brain and weaning daily would be better. He suggested going from 30mg daily to 20 daily for about 5 days, then opening capsules and dumping some out to make roughly 15 mg for 5 days, then 10mg for 5 days (it doesn't come in smaller doses than 20, which is a whole other forum...damn you, Eli Lilly). He said my doc probably denied "Cymbalta withdrawal" for 2 reasons - one is that the Cymbalta reps tell the docs that there is no withdrawal so the docs probably don't know about it or hear enough about it to know it exists and how horrible it is; also, he objected to the term "withdrawal", for reasons I still don't understand. Basically, semantics. Maybe "sheer hell" is a more clear term.

Good luck to everyone sitting with the boogeyman right now. Don't let your doctor tell you it doesn't exist.

Maybe that is my problem. I am taking 30mg every 4th day when I should be opening the capsules & counting beads daily. Can anyone tell me how to do this????

#8 Heartfeathers

Heartfeathers

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • why_joining:
    I no longer trust the medical profession and I will NEVER take another prescription drug again! NEVER!!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

Maybe that is my problem. I am taking 30mg every 4th day when I should be opening the capsules & counting beads daily. Can anyone tell me how to do this????

The way I understand it..is you just open the capsule up and take some of the beads out of it. Count the ones you take out and increase the amount taken out each week (or however long you want to wait)

I have been on 30 mgs for about 3 weeks now and it is STILL hell. My behavior is totally the opposite of how I am... I wonder how many people are in prison for things that happened while they were withdrawing from this fucking crap!!
(see, I used the F word! I never do..but FUCK cymbalta and the Dr. it rode in on!)

#9 kzap

kzap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationWentzville , Mo
  • why_joining:
    Glad to know i"m not alone or crazy

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

You sound like me 2 days ago. I couldn't stop crying then I was so mad and mean. I emailed my Dr and he ordered a 5day supply of xanax 3xs/day for me. I was some better yesterday and I actually feel a lot less sad and hostile today. I'm still on edge and have aches,pains, brain zaps but not as foggy today. I'm going to save my few xanax for really bad days. I had ordered "Calms Forte"& got it in the mail today. I just took one to see what they do. They are supposed to be Homeopathic. I'd much rather take natural things instead of getting hooked on something else ie xanax. I'll let you know how I do. By the way I'm on day 7 w/o cymbalta.

If you have anything to help you calm down a little, take it today. May God Bless you and keep you safe, :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You sound like me the day before yesterda

#10 TXcounselor

TXcounselor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    On Cymbalta for about a year for peripheral neuropathy. Withdrawal from the drug has been hellish and life-changing. Need support and want to support others.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

I do think that an every other day or every few day approach is a bad idea...I know this from experience and a doctor friend (not my doc) told me that was a bad idea since it would keep the withdrawal going. I got two of those little condiment cups and dumped out the pill contents, then dumped the cups back and forth until it looked like each had half, then I threw half away and put the other half back in the pill. I do hear about people counting balls, but I didn't have the time or patience for that. Maybe it depends on how sensitive your body is and how exact you want to be.

I was on 30 mg for a year, so titrating down over a month was tough but doable. I supposed if I had been on a higher dose, I would have taken longer to get off. After 26 days off after the month-long titration, I feel pretty good. Almost normal. Hang in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users