• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bratgirl

bratgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

In attempt to quit Cymbalta, I began taking it every other day for 12 days before quitting. Here are the symptoms I've been experiencing:

Sleep / Over Sleeping. Difficult to wake. I let myself sleep for two weeks and averaged about 18 hours per day. Just enough time to get up, eat a meal and go back to bed. I thought I'd be able to sleep it off, but found this difficult.

Difficulty Focusing occasionally and particularly after waking.

Skin Temperature. Either too hot or too cold. Wake up with heavy sweating, which is freezing cold and makes it hard to leave the warm wet covers!

Itching. I itch a lot in very odd places...like the palms of my hands, elbow & knee pits and the arches (ticklish part) of my feet. I get zero relief from scratching or lotion.

Dull Headaches. Off and on. Two Advil seem to relieve these pretty well.

Dizziness / Loss of Balance. I can just walk along and "woooooooo" -- all of a sudden, I'm catching myself.

Misjudging Distances / Accident Prone. I've been running into walls, bumping my shoulder, stubbing toes, burned finger on stove.

Mild Nausea after eating, but also experience constant hunger.

Acne. Not sure if this is related to stopping or restarting.

Emotional Outbursts. Not over inconsequential matters, but my reactions to upset were not "like me."

The above symptoms were not so problematic that would cause me to stop my detox from Cymbalta -- with the exception of the sleep & emotional outbursts. If sleep was not remedied in enough time, this would have become an issue. I'm an independent consultant and have the luxury of flex projects and schedule. Had I not had some down time available, constant fatigue would have become problematic most definitely.

The symptom that caused me to restart taking Cymbalta this time was at 2 weeks with no Cymbalta, I began having the emotional over-reactions / outbursts with yelling and uncontrollable crying. These outbursts were situational, revolving around unresolved / tender matters between my husband and me. For instance...

I asked my husband if he would "do me a favor" and bring me breakfast because I was so tired and didn't feel well. He began a lecture on how he didn't want to "enable" me, and that I should take better control of my health (as if I were a child). I started sobbing and became hostile and told him I'd think twice about ever doing nice things I do for him again -- like putting lotion on his hands when he asked or clipping his toenails. The unfairness of this situation -- moreover the lack of support and loving spirit especially when I was down infuriated me and consumed me with hate for him. When he finally quit and left, I cried myself to sleep and did not eat until supper time.

Also, I felt myself become obsessed with past problems over which I have little control and experienced strong feelings of anger, hate and fear (particularly of abandonment), guilt and shame. Suicide crossed my mind as a viable alternative, but such actions never come to fruition for me. I just like to entertain it as a way to imagine myself into a state of relief.

#2 cleveland904

cleveland904

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:02 PM

It is interesting that you say you are hot and cold, I have been having that too but I have also been having problems with my thyroid and thought that was the problem..very interesting. I'll try the Advil for my headaches. I'll be so glad to get this out of me. Were you put on this for depression or neroapathy? I have not had any emotional outbursts, I hope I don't.

#3 wandap

wandap

Busy Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:30 AM

I have had the same night sweats! Itching too! All of it. God I hope this gets overwith soon!

#4 mother5590

mother5590

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:37 PM

I have been on Cymbalta for over 2 years and other SSRI before that due to severe thoracic spine and nerve pain. I am also diabetic and have neuropathies.
Cymbalta worked very well for me. It really decreased my nerve pain and allowed me to live a fairly normal life with moderate amts of Narcotic rather than large amts. I did notice with even a few hours late on my dose I would wake up with severe nausea, vomiting and as well as a sever headache above my eyes. Nothing stopped these problems except to make sure I did not take the med late or run out of it. The middle of this month I ran out of Cymbalta because I had lost my SSDI "extra help" I weaned over the period of 7 days by reducing my dose but then because my copay for each pill was $6 I was having to choose between Cymbalta and food for my kids. Nothing compares to the Cymbalta. The previous 2 weeks I was having to transfer to a shorter acting Narcotic from the 3 day Duragesic Patch. It was bad but Cymbalta has been much worse. I think the hardest thing is not knowing if and when it will ever stop!!! My symptoms continue with nausea, vomiting , diarreah, Severe frontal headache, Brain Buzzes ( much like a Bug Zapper in the summer time or like someone else said laying in a pinball machine and feeling the plunger shoot in my brain, Dizziness, clumsiness, Uncontrollable Crying, IRRITABLE, ( yelling etc I have not done for years) Either not sleeping at all or over sleeping. IT has now been over 2 weeks and I do not find my symptoms to be improving. I am taking Zyrtec ( Benadryl makes me crazy and very sleepy) I am trying to walk, and am using Intensive herbal supplements to try to counter some of the side effects. I have been having the temp dysregulation as well but it has brought to my attention many things that I related to my pain or other medical issues that are actually related to the Cymbalta. I have been told that I have Gastroparesis as a part of Autonomic Nervous System Dysfunction I am now wondering if it is all a part of using SSIs, My stomach began gurgling for the first time in 2 years after I came off of this stuff.
ON another note. I filed Formal Complaints with Eli Lilly as well as the FDA. I do not expect anything to come of either of my complaints but if my ANS Dysfunction improves or many of my other pre weaning symptoms get better I am going to file a law suit against them I think that we should file a class action suit against them for our severe suffering. IS this going to end??? I have not found one person so far that can tell me that it ends. Eli Lilly could not tell me either. They just kept telling me that I needed to wean to prevent problems. I did wean and what I hear is that even very long weans do not change the symptomology of withdrawl syndrome.

#5 wandap

wandap

Busy Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:16 AM

From what I can tell weaning or not weaning does not matter. When you have no Cymbalta in your system you have these problems. I personally think that weaning off slowly might just make it last longer. How do you file a complaint with Eli Lilly? Can you go to a website? I'd like to tell them a thing or two myself. I signed the petition but would really like to send an email to a live human. Let them take this stuff and then stop. Then they can tell me how it feels!

#6 whatanightmare

whatanightmare

Busy Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:30 PM

I called Eli Lilly and they were NO help. All they would do was: 1) refer me to their website and 2) refer me to my prescribing doctor - who is NO help. They did show concern when I said I was going to file an FDA complaint online, but I wonder if that does any good. Does anyone know?

#7 tuke

tuke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:06 AM

Boy, I'm having some of this same stuff, and it helps that I'm not alone. Just a couple hours ago, I had a long, hard, loud cry over the fact that there are so many things I haven't done for my children over the years that I should have done. Talk about obsessing over past problems! I was transferring numbers from our old address book into a new one, and the sentimentality just put me over the edge! I don't think I ever cried that LOUD, even when someone died!

It's my 2nd day of no Cymbalta after weaning down. But it's weird. I tried to do the shopping, but I had to go to the bathroom all the time. It's like my whole body was dried out on the Cymbalta and now there's all this excess moisture everywhere, and I'm drowning. I'm sneezing, drinking, peeing, eyes watering,choking on saliva, etc. It's ridiculous.

What the hell? If only I had been created with just a touch of the good stuff it gave me without ever having to go through this.

#8 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:40 AM

Boy, I'm having some of this same stuff, and it helps that I'm not alone. Just a couple hours ago, I had a long, hard, loud cry over the fact that there are so many things I haven't done for my children over the years that I should have done. Talk about obsessing over past problems! I was transferring numbers from our old address book into a new one, and the sentimentality just put me over the edge! I don't think I ever cried that LOUD, even when someone died!

It's my 2nd day of no Cymbalta after weaning down. But it's weird. I tried to do the shopping, but I had to go to the bathroom all the time. It's like my whole body was dried out on the Cymbalta and now there's all this excess moisture everywhere, and I'm drowning. I'm sneezing, drinking, peeing, eyes watering,choking on saliva, etc. It's ridiculous.

What the hell? If only I had been created with just a touch of the good stuff it gave me without ever having to go through this.

Cymbalta is also prescribed for people with urinary incontinance(sp), so it is no surprise that you are having liquid oozing out of you, I am too! But, I'm on day 4 of 15 mg, and haven't had the night sweats in 2 nights, and I'm finally peeing normally again. I had a serious mental meltdown last Friday, and then on Sunday. My point is, I have to keep telling myself when I am having these extreme emotional moments, that it is the withdrawal, and not real. It helps to lie down if I can. Maybe this will help you too. I have also found that I am very caffeine sensitive, and have had to cut my intake dramatically, or my heart feels like it is going to expolode. Having done that, it seems to help with the emotions. I'm also taking an Omega 3 supplement, which I've read is helpful. I spent a lot on it, to be sure it was clean and free of metals, but I think it is worth it, and maybe something you could try as well.

Good luck!! (Oh, I had to chuckle at your WalMart story; that place does it to me while on Cymbalta, I'm going to be sure and stay away from there for awhile!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users