#1 Jeanne

Jeanne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    trying to wean off of cymbalta

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:50 PM

I have to tell you that I read this forum last spring and found the following post that I'll paste below that totally helped me to wean with very little side effects. Sure I felt dizzy some days but didn't experience the horrible time that most experience. My sister went cold turkey and it was a nightmare for her. So I'm sure I would have experienced the same. I attribute my success to the supplements I took mentioned below and taking 7 less granuals a day. Also as a side note, I struggled with major depression until I found a doctor who told me that he could tell just by looking at me that I was low on progesterone. Once he started me on a natural compounded progesterone, I am 100% better. No more depression. And I haven't felt this normal in 10 years. I am finally able to lose weight without losing my motivation. I hope this helps somebody. Blessings, Jeanne

<< First of all, my background. I've been taking Cymbalta for a period of eight months. My prescribed dose has been 30mg daily. Before Cymbalta I was on Fluvoxamine (LUVOX) for about one year and for a brief stint (three weeks) Escitalopram (LEXAPRO). I was diagnosed as someone with great insurance. Just kidding, but that did make my psychiatrist happy: (no kiddding the first thing he always said to me when I walked in was, "Hello Michael, you're Value Options Blue Cross, right?" Haha. In any case, I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder with obsessive tendencies as well.

I weaned off LUVOX and LEXAPRO with almost no problems: a few dizzy spells and some brain zaps. But with Cymbalta, I tried to wean off at a rate of 10mg a week and I felt like I had the flu. Swollen glands, sore throat, headache, soreness all over, etc. I've been weaning off the drug much more successfully using the following method: Opening the capsules and removing a few granules more each day. Please read the post by "arieln" (12/22/07) She totally has the right idea here. Currently I am down to the equivalent of about 12 mg. a day and I feel fine. I occasionally get a headache but it's nothing an aspirin doesn't help with. For those of you that are curious I have found there to be approximately 280 granules in each 30mg. does. I have been removing 7 more each day for a rate of 5mg. less/ week. If symptoms recur I can slow to 3-4 granules less/ dose for a rate of 2.5mg. less/ week.
Anyway, the reason we all feel like crap is because of an effect Cymbalta creates called an "anticholergenic rebound." This means there has been an interruption in the production of the essential neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Hence, anything you can do to enhance or support acetylcholine production will assist in alleviating withdrawal symptoms. I almost never take vitamins regularly but I've been trying this and it appears to help so far. Here are a few daily vitamins that are helping me get through:

vitamins/ supplements directly related to acetylcholine production

B-Complex
Lecithin (has choline in it) 1200mg.
Lutein 250 mg. Find it in Centrum or a multivitamin for mature adults over 50.

vitamins/ supplements indirectly related

Vinpocetine 20mg. (increases dopamine which indirectly boosts acetylcholine)
Ginkgo Biloba 120mg. (increases blood flow in brain which supports creation of neurotransmitters)
St. John's Wart 600 mg. at night (increases acetylcholine by preventing its breakdown)

For Sleep

Melatonin 6 mg. at night

Please note that I am not a doctor or scientist and that this is simply the result of my own research. I have heard other things work for people as well like Benedril, Vicodin, other SSRIs, Xanax etc. But I'm really trying to get off of all drugs.
Diet is important too, so I've been trying to eat right and take a OMEGA 3-6-9 supplement. I've been eating foods that support acetylcholine production such as peanuts, almonds, spinach, wheat germ, and whole eggs. Beef liver is also a good source of choline but who wants to eat that! Thank you for reading this if you actually got to the end. I've been trying hard to understand what's happening to my brain and I hope I've found some useful information. I will continue to post until about two months after I'm totally off so that I can be objective about the effects of this method of withdrawal. See you next week.

Michael

#2 tuufy

tuufy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for all that info, I weaned at a rate of down to 20mg, then every other day, then every 2 days, I was getting the brain zaps between the 2 days, so decided to stop as I was going to have withdrawal anyway, I have now gone a week without a pill, I sleep about 4 hours a night, the brain zaps and visual affectations are the worst..................oh and the dizziness.

If my doc had told me that cymbalta was opiate based I would never have taken it. I didnt like the side effects of the tablet, but the side effects coming off are just as bad, if not worse, however this too shall pass! I have gone a week. I will keep going!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users