#1 geoff

geoff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:
    need help and advice on withdrawl

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:32 AM

Hi - I have been on Cymbalta for many years - over 10 yrs and its time to come off these addictive drugs now. I was on 90mg up until July 2010. I then weaned down to 60mg for 4 months. no real bad reactions yet. I then reduced down to approx 50mg for about a month (by counting out the beads) - again no real reaction.
A month ago I went down to 30mg - and this is where the problems began. About a week ago I started to feel like my head was in a vice and felt mega depressed. I know I must come off these drugs slowly and due to stay on 30mg for a few months at least before even attempting a further reduction.
I would love to hear from anyone going through the same experience - especially anyone who has managed to come off these drugs altogether.
Its hard to explain just how bad the withdrawl from cymbalta is.
I really cant see any benefit to staying on cymbalta. or any anti depressant, for over a decade as no-one really knows what the long term affects are. I want to be free of these drugs!!!
thanks
Geoff

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:24 PM

Dear Geoff:
You have been on cymbalta for 10 years??? Cymbalta was launched in 2004.
I am not a doctor but it sounds like you have been doing a smart slow weaning.
I have also been weaning slowly starting from 60mg. It also happened to me when I got to 20mg that things got very difficult. What I did was to stay on that dosage for a longer period of time (7 weeks) before doing any further drop. Then when I was symptom free, I kept on doing small drops.
I feel the same way as you. I´ve been taking antidepressants for many years, and I haven´t seen major benefits, and I am scared because I do not know the long term effects.

#3 geoff

geoff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:56 AM

Dear Geoff:
You have been on cymbalta for 10 years??? Cymbalta was launched in 2004.
I am not a doctor but it sounds like you have been doing a smart slow weaning.
I have also been weaning slowly starting from 60mg. It also happened to me when I got to 20mg that things got very difficult. What I did was to stay on that dosage for a longer period of time (7 weeks) before doing any further drop. Then when I was symptom free, I kept on doing small drops.
I feel the same way as you. I´ve been taking antidepressants for many years, and I haven´t seen major benefits, and I am scared because I do not know the long term effects.

Thanks for your reply - sorry not been on cymbalta for 10 years - but have been on one kind of Anti depressant or another for over 18 years now. think i have been on cymbalta for at least 5 years now. Have you managed to get off medication for good now?? and if so how do you feel?? I think i will stay on 30mg for at least a few months until winter is over and may try to reduce again in spring time.
when you read up on these drugs on internet its amazing anyone actually starts taking them. but i guess we are all part of the marketing machine that promotes them.
hope to here back from you
thanks

#4 geoff

geoff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:57 AM

Geoff.......sounds like things are getting rough. I have been there, it is no picnic. What is it they say "when you are going thru hell......just keep walking! Have you considered taking Prozac to take the edge off, or going to a chiropractor or alternative practioner for assistance......I did all these thing myself. Hang in there, in the end it will be worth it.

thanks - its just good to know you are not on your own with this.

#5 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for your reply - sorry not been on cymbalta for 10 years - but have been on one kind of Anti depressant or another for over 18 years now. think i have been on cymbalta for at least 5 years now. Have you managed to get off medication for good now?? and if so how do you feel?? I think i will stay on 30mg for at least a few months until winter is over and may try to reduce again in spring time.
when you read up on these drugs on internet its amazing anyone actually starts taking them. but i guess we are all part of the marketing machine that promotes them.
hope to here back from you
thanks

Dear Geoff:
I am still on the medication. I have been weaning slowly for 8 months. I am at a very low dose now. Since weaning I´ve had a long list of emotional and physical symptoms (the physical are all new to me). While on the medication, I was emotionally numb, I didn´t cry for 5 years, didn´t care for anything. Now I am starting to "feel". Even though one of the withdrawal symptoms is confusion, my mind -in general- feels more clear and clean than before. Confusion comes and goes
I totally agree on staying on a dosage during winter. I am doing the same.

#6 geoff

geoff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:56 AM

Dear Geoff:
I am still on the medication. I have been weaning slowly for 8 months. I am at a very low dose now. Since weaning I´ve had a long list of emotional and physical symptoms (the physical are all new to me). While on the medication, I was emotionally numb, I didn´t cry for 5 years, didn´t care for anything. Now I am starting to "feel". Even though one of the withdrawal symptoms is confusion, my mind -in general- feels more clear and clean than before. Confusion comes and goes
I totally agree on staying on a dosage during winter. I am doing the same.

Hi - nice to hear back and glad you are feeling some benefits such as a clearer and clean mind. I have found myself getting emotional much more easily now since my reduction - but maybe not such a bad thing for the long term recovery of getting off, and staying off, these drugs. let it out! I hope to level out on 30mg over the coming months. i never find x mas easy though as am a single bloke.do u mind if i ask your name? this site is great for support and makes you realise the scale of the problem getting off these drugs. all the best geoff

#7 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:43 PM

Hi - nice to hear back and glad you are feeling some benefits such as a clearer and clean mind. I have found myself getting emotional much more easily now since my reduction - but maybe not such a bad thing for the long term recovery of getting off, and staying off, these drugs. let it out! I hope to level out on 30mg over the coming months. i never find x mas easy though as am a single bloke.do u mind if i ask your name? this site is great for support and makes you realise the scale of the problem getting off these drugs. all the best geoff

Dear Geoff:
Yes, since I started weaning I also got emotional more easily. I would see a movie or TV commercial and would start crying (this is so unlike me). I would also become irritable and angry easily. Laughter was also something hard to control.
I think it is the body getting used to the new dosage.
Cookie

#8 geoff

geoff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:25 AM

Dear Geoff:
Yes, since I started weaning I also got emotional more easily. I would see a movie or TV commercial and would start crying (this is so unlike me). I would also become irritable and angry easily. Laughter was also something hard to control.
I think it is the body getting used to the new dosage.
Cookie

Hi Cookie

Hope u survived xmas and new year! hows your withdrawl coming along?? had a few really rough days on 30mg. been on this dose about 6 weeks now and no plans to reduce for a good few months yet.
hope all is ok
geoff

#9 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:57 PM

Hi Geoff:
Yes, I survived xmas!!!! I stayed on same dosage for holidays. I had very good days and very bad days. The bad days were during PMS. I am down to 3mg. I am increasing exercise to reduce anxiety and improve mood.
Happy New year full of energy, happiness, health.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users