RickWC

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:07 AM

I saw my dibetic doctor's assistant on Tuesday. She is very nice but just doesn't seem to get it. I went one week at 1/2 dose of Cymbalta of 30 mg and now this week, I have been taking 30 mg every other day. Things have been going ok but here is the deal.

I am currently taking Methadone for a buldging disk, Prozac to help with Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms, and now have been prescribed Neurotin for diabetic nerve pain (what I started taking Cymbalta for to begin with). With this coctail of drugs, I am obviosly getting side effects and the assistant is concerned about drug interactions. God Bless her for caring because my GP just hands out prescriptions and doesn't even take the time to talk to me about effects.

Because of her concern of effects, the assistant changed by withdrawal plan to 30 mg every 3 days and says I'll be clean from Cymbalta in 2 weeks. I voiced my concern that this is going really fast and may not be possible and she acted like I had no choice. Just do it and get on with life seemed to be her opinion. How hard can it be to just stop taking this little pill, anyway?

Then she said something that drove home the fact that she doesn't understand. She asked why I would want to get off Cymbalta to begin with. Then she said that if I wasn't willing to get rid of it in 2 weeks, then I should just keep taking it and get rid of one of the other drugs. Let me say that I want to get rid of all of the drugs eventually but I've been here before and I know that Cymbalta will be the hardest one to give up.

Sory to ramble on. It's just that I know many of you understand how hard this is.

#2 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:
    trying to get this toxin out of my body!

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:06 AM

Rick.....

You are correct.......they just don't get it. Like you WANT to be on this pill and are purposefully prolonging the weaning process because it's great. :angry:

"Aren't willing to give up Cymbalta"........WTH? I would have given up this junk in a heartbeat if my body and brain didn't fall apart each time I try.

Hang in there......we get it!

#3 RickWC

RickWC

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:16 AM

Going 1 day at 30 mg and then 2 days at 0. Today is the end of my 2nd day at 0. I felt fluish yesterday and very strange today. Wish me luck.

#4 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:28 AM

Going 1 day at 30 mg and then 2 days at 0. Today is the end of my 2nd day at 0. I felt fluish yesterday and very strange today. Wish me luck.

Rick-

So today you get to take a 30mg?

#5 RickWC

RickWC

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:40 PM

Yes, 30mg today then 0 on Saturday and Sunday again. If things seem ok, I may extend it to 0 for 3 days next time.

#6 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:23 PM

Yes, 30mg today then 0 on Saturday and Sunday again. If things seem ok, I may extend it to 0 for 3 days next time.

How are you feeling today after taking the 30mg yesterday?

#7 RickWC

RickWC

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:22 PM

Been gone for a few days but still feeling ok. TAking 30mg Friday seemed to affect me more then the previous 2 days at 0. I'm on day 2 of 0 again and don't feel much for withdrawal symptoms. I've got 2 doctors, one for diabetes and the other for every thing else. Between the 2 of them, I seem to be on all kinds of RX meds right now. Maybe that's what is killing the sympoms. I'm thinking of just staying at 0 cymbalta until I start feeling something bad.

#8 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:51 AM

Great news that you are feeling good Rick! :D

#9 RickWC

RickWC

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:51 PM

I haven't posted in a few days because there really hasn't been much to say. I am now on day 2 of my 5 day stage (4 days at 0 then day 5 at 30mg). My withdrawal symptoms are still mild compared to the time I went cold turkey. Anger and agitation seem to be getting worse. I have been layed off over the holidays and spending a lot of time at home, resting and alone. I have noticed that when I go out to the store, I start feeling paranoid and really pissed off. I want to yell at people for just looking at me.

#10 RickWC

RickWC

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

Day 4 at 0mg and I'm feeling fair. The depression is worse and the anger is growing but neither are constant. No brain zaps, thankfully. I can take 30mg tomorrow but am unsure if I will. With the withdrawal symptoms being as mild as they are, I may just try going cold turkey from now on. Wish me luck.

#11 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:41 PM

Day 4 at 0mg and I'm feeling fair. The depression is worse and the anger is growing but neither are constant. No brain zaps, thankfully. I can take 30mg tomorrow but am unsure if I will. With the withdrawal symptoms being as mild as they are, I may just try going cold turkey from now on. Wish me luck.

Maybe you could take less than 30mg tomorrow? It would be taking something....but not the full dosage. If you are feeling pretty good though I would just keep going. You are so close to the end now!

#12 RickWC

RickWC

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

Maybe you could take less than 30mg tomorrow? It would be taking something....but not the full dosage. If you are feeling pretty good though I would just keep going. You are so close to the end now!

I never messed with the counting balls to reduce the dose. I just decided to go one more day at 0 so today makes 5 days without any Cymbalta. The anger and depression is worse. Plus tingling and itching. But I'm not getting the brain zaps or the disabilataing depression that I was so afraid of.

I hope I'm close to the end as you say. I appreciate your support. I've been off work for the past 3 weeks due to a holiday shutdown and I go back to work tomorrow. Everything may change then.

#13 RickWC

RickWC

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

Hi,
I just wanted to add to the conversation since I was searching online today for Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms. I had suffered for many years with anxiety/panic and depression. I had taken nearly every pill known to exist with no real relief! When Cymbalta came out I immediately called my doctor for a script. It was like a miracle drug for my anxiety and depression. The weight gain however was horrible. After about 3 years I weened off the Cymbalta and the Xanax with no real withdrawal problems. I was completely free from any of those types for drugs. The weight dropped off so fast and I had soon lost 75 lbs. Last Spring I started experiencing some depression having separated and immediately went back on the Cymbalta I have now gained back 40 lbs and am more depressed about the weight gain than I was with the slight depression I was having. I also have been suffering a constant headache since May of last year. Have any of you experience bad headaches? I have now been completely off the Cymbalta for 6 days and have withdrawal like I never had when I had taken it before. My whole body aches and I'm groggy all the time. I will break out in tears for no reason. I have a kind of buzzing in my head sort of like tinnitus. My hands are kind of tingly too. Are these the same kind of withdrawal you are experiencing also? I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is withdrawal or something else. I'm sure these symptoms will go away eventually and am confused as to why I didn't have them the first time I went off it. Unfortunately I still have my headache but hope it is a symptom too that will go away in time. I have to say good luck to all the others out there going through this withdrawal because it is horrible! I will keep you all in my thoughts!

I've slowly put on weight over the time I've been on Cymbalta and have lost a few pounds since I started weanting off of it. But am unsure if it is related to Cymbalta or not. I have heard that others do have weight related issues when taking this drug. I'm also not sure why you didn't suffer any withdrawal the first time you quit Cymbalta but I think there are a lot of variables involved. One major factor may be the other drugs you are taking at the time.

The first time I quit was by accident. I ran out of Cymbalta and missed my daily dose 4 days in a row. It was pure hell with all of the symptoms you are describing plus more. The buzzing in your head is what we Cymbalta addicts call the brain zaps and I had them. I also would break down and cry for no reason and get extremely angry. Plus some horrible dreams. I remember getting my RX refilled and took 60 mg and felt better almost immediately.

This time I quit on purpose and I have done it slowly with other medications to help ease the suffering. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms but they never got severe like I feared. About a year ago, I was suffering from depression and was prescribed Welbutrin by a psychiatrist. When the Welbutrin didn't seem to help, the doctor kept me Welbutrin and increased my Cymbalta dose from 60mg to 120mg. I did this for 3 months but the drugs weren't helping and the doctor wasn't helping either. I stopped seeing the doctor, stopped taking the Welbutrin, and cut the Cymbalta back to 60mg and had no withdrawal at all.

Good luck.

#14 RickWC

RickWC

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:51 AM

It is now the end of day 8 Cymbalta free. I'm itching and scratching like crazy. I also went through serveral periods of extreme anger and depression for no reason. Other then that, I'm hanging in there. Still not brain zaps.

#15 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:18 PM

It is now the end of day 8 Cymbalta free. I'm itching and scratching like crazy. I also went through serveral periods of extreme anger and depression for no reason. Other then that, I'm hanging in there. Still not brain zaps.

Benadryl maybe???

#16 RickWC

RickWC

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:36 AM

I had to look it up so I guess I'm done with this drug. Today is day 15 Cymbalta free. Considering that I am on Prozac, a drug for diabetic neuropathy, and a pain killer for a bulging disk in my back, I have a lot of symptoms. But other then being very quick to get angry, I don't seem to have any Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms.

#17 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:44 AM

I had to look it up so I guess I'm done with this drug. Today is day 15 Cymbalta free. Considering that I am on Prozac, a drug for diabetic neuropathy, and a pain killer for a bulging disk in my back, I have a lot of symptoms. But other then being very quick to get angry, I don't seem to have any Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms.

Nice that at least you don't have to deal with 'balta withdrawals. It's always something isn't it?

Way to go on being 15 days free! :)

#18 Stephc

Stephc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have made several attempts to get off Cymbalta, and no one other than those who are suffering like me know what I am going through.

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

I saw my dibetic doctor's assistant on Tuesday. She is very nice but just doesn't seem to get it. I went one week at 1/2 dose of Cymbalta of 30 mg and now this week, I have been taking 30 mg every other day. Things have been going ok but here is the deal.

I am currently taking Methadone for a buldging disk, Prozac to help with Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms, and now have been prescribed Neurotin for diabetic nerve pain (what I started taking Cymbalta for to begin with). With this coctail of drugs, I am obviosly getting side effects and the assistant is concerned about drug interactions. God Bless her for caring because my GP just hands out prescriptions and doesn't even take the time to talk to me about effects.

Because of her concern of effects, the assistant changed by withdrawal plan to 30 mg every 3 days and says I'll be clean from Cymbalta in 2 weeks. I voiced my concern that this is going really fast and may not be possible and she acted like I had no choice. Just do it and get on with life seemed to be her opinion. How hard can it be to just stop taking this little pill, anyway?

Then she said something that drove home the fact that she doesn't understand. She asked why I would want to get off Cymbalta to begin with. Then she said that if I wasn't willing to get rid of it in 2 weeks, then I should just keep taking it and get rid of one of the other drugs. Let me say that I want to get rid of all of the drugs eventually but I've been here before and I know that Cymbalta will be the hardest one to give up.

Sory to ramble on. It's just that I know many of you understand how hard this is.

I am so sorry you are going through this. My doctor doesn't get it either. I got asked the same question..why did I want to go off. The cost has gone through the roof, I am "mentally" in a much better place than 4 yrs ago in my divorce, my liver functions have gone way down..why wouldn't I want to get off. Her "fix" was to wean me down to 30 mg then put me on 75 mg effexor. That drug has horrible side effects too.. So, in a desperate attempt to get the buzzing in my brain to stop, I broke open a capsule and swallowed 1/4 the granules. About 4 hrs later, the buzzing is beginning to subside. God bless you in your attempts to get off. It does seem quick to get you off in 2 wks. I hope you have success. We are all here for you.

#19 RickWC

RickWC

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:45 PM

Day 28 Cymbalta free and I don't know if I'm there yet. Since I started weaning off Cymbalta, I have started taking Prozac to relieve the withdrawal symptoms, Neutrontin for diabetic neuropathy which is why I started taking Cymbalta to begin with, and Methadone for a buldging disk in my neck. I basically withdrew from Cymbalta while in Zombi Land from all the other drugs. About a week ago, I realized that I wanted out of this place and wanted to be able to think clearly again. I started cutting back on the Neurontin and haven't taken any for 3 days. I dropped my Prozac dose from 40mg to 20mg about 3 days. Yet after doing this I still don't feel right. Last night, I started feeling really anxious and paranoid and I thought the Cymbalta withdrawal was back but it was a low blood sugar instead.

All of the side affects messed me up so bad that I started missing time from work and got fired today for poor attendence. Now I have to wonder if I would have been just better off staying on the Cymbalta.

I know I haven't been on the forum much because I have been Cymbalta free for awhile but I realize that I miss the support and caring that I felt when I was here a lot.

#20 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:30 AM

Day 28 Cymbalta free and I don't know if I'm there yet. Since I started weaning off Cymbalta, I have started taking Prozac to relieve the withdrawal symptoms, Neutrontin for diabetic neuropathy which is why I started taking Cymbalta to begin with, and Methadone for a buldging disk in my neck. I basically withdrew from Cymbalta while in Zombi Land from all the other drugs. About a week ago, I realized that I wanted out of this place and wanted to be able to think clearly again. I started cutting back on the Neurontin and haven't taken any for 3 days. I dropped my Prozac dose from 40mg to 20mg about 3 days. Yet after doing this I still don't feel right. Last night, I started feeling really anxious and paranoid and I thought the Cymbalta withdrawal was back but it was a low blood sugar instead.

All of the side affects messed me up so bad that I started missing time from work and got fired today for poor attendence. Now I have to wonder if I would have been just better off staying on the Cymbalta.

I know I haven't been on the forum much because I have been Cymbalta free for awhile but I realize that I miss the support and caring that I felt when I was here a lot.

Rick-
I am SO sorry to hear that you lost your job. Is there any way that you can get disability support or any other additional support?

#21 RickWC

RickWC

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:05 PM

Rick-
I am SO sorry to hear that you lost your job. Is there any way that you can get disability support or any other additional support?

I am not disabled and don't know of any other support right now. I lost my insurance as of termination which makes things really dificult but I'm trying to stay positive. I haven't been unemployed for 22 years and it's a hard thing to take. Thankfully the Cymbalta withdrawal seems to be behind me because I'd hate to have to go through that with no medical help. I've also skipped the last 3 doses of Methadone without feeling too much effect. I was only taking a small dose for about 40 days so hopefully I won't experience too much withdrawal. As of now, I'm just going to take the Neutrontin which will hopefully cover the back pain and the neuropathy.

I guess the hardest part is that I live alone and we are going through a blizzard here so I'm stuck at home. It would be nice to have a shoulder to cry on right about now.

Rick

#22 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:26 PM

I am not disabled and don't know of any other support right now. I lost my insurance as of termination which makes things really dificult but I'm trying to stay positive. I haven't been unemployed for 22 years and it's a hard thing to take. Thankfully the Cymbalta withdrawal seems to be behind me because I'd hate to have to go through that with no medical help. I've also skipped the last 3 doses of Methadone without feeling too much effect. I was only taking a small dose for about 40 days so hopefully I won't experience too much withdrawal. As of now, I'm just going to take the Neutrontin which will hopefully cover the back pain and the neuropathy.

I guess the hardest part is that I live alone and we are going through a blizzard here so I'm stuck at home. It would be nice to have a shoulder to cry on right about now.

Rick

Blizzard here too. At least there's no pressure to go out and do things. Relax and rest.....that's my plan for tomorrow!

#23 RickWC

RickWC

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:48 PM

Well, the blizzard is past. I had drifts about 24-30 inches high in my driveway. Not much for resting and relaxing but I tried. I'm at day 30 Cymbalta free and 3 days with no Methadone. Surprisingly the pain has not returned like I feared but I am feeling very anxious and depressed. I don't know if this is because of the job loss or because of some type of withdrawal or a combination of the above.

Tomorrow is a new day and I'm trying to stay positive. Thanks for all of the replies, Pam.

#24 Adelerty

Adelerty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:56 AM

There are still a lot of physicians out there who either do not believe in Fibromyalgia or don't want to treat patients that have it. They should be fired. But, you also need to follow up with a letter to your insurance company with an objective complaint about how you were treated.

If you want to locate a fibro-friendly doctor, go to the National Fibromyalgia Association website. There is a list of providers for each state. Take care.

Brainalin - Memory Vitamins | Brain Supplements | Memory Supplements

#25 SMay

SMay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

I quit my daily doses of Cymbalta 60mg, Ambien CR 12.5mg, Neurontin 3 GRAMS!, Morphine 300mg, Fentanyl 50mg, and Oxycodone 200mg, all cold turkey last week after years of being on them. It has been by far the most horrible thing I've gone through but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Granted my Dr. dropped me as a patient for doing it but I'm living proof it can be done.

I couldn't agree more that Dr.'s just don't get it. I have Neuropathy and Failed Back Surgery Syndrome and they just can't imagine why I would want to stop taking so much medication. I'm starting the trial for the Neuro Stimulator implant next month and I really hope it works. Living life with a pocket full of pills every time you leave the house is not a way to live in my book.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users