• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LunaSea

LunaSea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:06 PM

Hello... first I'd like to thank everyone for this site... from what I've read... I no longer feel alone in this 'struggle' thank you all...
I am having to quit cymbalta cold turkey as my DR no longer has the samples... gotta love that...
I tried weening myself off a few months ago without talking with my DR first... bad move...
now I am scared... I am having "head pings" as I called them... again regularly... I am somewhat 'relieved' (& that's not a good thing) that others have felt this... I thought my brain was going to explode... & sometimes it's like someone is putting an electric shocker to my head & my whole body & being jolts... Has anyone had this experience? Its quite scary... does anyone know how long this will last? has this now screwed up my brain chemistry for good?
how on this earth are these "pharmacists" allowed to make this crap!?! I am having worse withdraw from this than any drugs I've ever done... alcohol included... It is very upsetting to me... Like we don't all have enough to worry about... now we have to worry what the hell were being prescribed to "make us better"! & they wonder why we self medicate...
ugh... sorry for the rant...
I'm very confused... I think tomorrow I will go buy some benadryl & see if that will help me...
I"m also going to a health food store this weekend to try some herbal supplements...
If anyone has any advice on what do to or take please let me know... as I'm not able to 'ween' myself off this time... do I just have to 'grin' & 'bear' it???
the other meds I'm currently on are geodon & xanax... I wonder if I should cut them out too?
I "can't" get into see my DR until next week... I'm truly tired of all this mixing & matching to help me be "normal"
hahaha...

#2 basketballmom

basketballmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:26 PM

Hang in there. it will get beter even though it sure doesn't seem like it now. I was just like you and thought I was going crazy. I was so relieved to find this site and know I wasn't losing my mind. Everything you have described sounds like what I've dealt with. I'm a little more than a week (closer to a week and a half) off cymbalta and today I felt better. Day 6 was great and I thought everything was getting better...then it hit the fan so to speak and I had two days where the brain shocks were so bad I wouldn't attempt driving (after two near misses the day before) and I was having the vivid dreams and hallucinations (I'm assuming since I was awake and was hearing the TV when it wasn't on). Today was much better (even though I did not sleep last night at all b/c of the dreams) I was able to go back to work and conduct classes in a way that my students couldn't tell anything was wrong (hopefully). :)

I have been on a natural supplement called Reliv for about 5 weeks now and I have to say I truly believe it has helped lessen these horrible side effects and is also lessening the total time it will take me to get over the whole thing. Reliv is not sold in stores. You can get it online at Reliv.com The company is over 20 years old and there are lots of testimonials on the website. A close friend of mine got me hooked and I'm starting as a distributor now trying mainly to start helping my family and friends. Check out the website and see if you think it might help. They have a $ back guarantee so if you're not satisfied you will get a full refund.

Hang in there. Hope the benadryl helps. It helps me somewhat. Stay connected to the site...it helps to hear other's stories.

#3 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:34 PM

Even if your doctor doesn't have samples, will he not write you a prescription? I find it hard to believe that he would not have ANY samples, and you really should be working with him to get off of this. As for not being able to get in to see him, have you spoken to his nurse to let them know you are out? What about going to a walk in clinic? What is your current dose? I would really try to find someone that could give you a sample. (Shoot, if it wasn't illegal I'd send you the rest of mine!)

Having said that, there are supplements that may help ease what you are going through. Omega 3 supplements are good, but you want to get a good one, not some $2.98 version, because there is a difference in how it is made and thereby how effective it is. Health food stores also sell protein powders that can at least address the nutrion side of things.

Benedryl has been helpful for many people. I am one of the freaks of nature that gets jittery and not tired on it, so it didn't help me much, but I think it does help more than not. Others have also mentioned using dramamine.

If you go into the section called weaning from Cymbalta, you will see a lot of posts with ideas that people have used that have worked for them.

As for the other meds that you are on, is there a reason you want to stop taking them? I would work with your doctor on that as well.

Again, it is far safer and comfortable to wean and not go cold turkey. Please post and keep us updated, and know that we will be here to help you along the way.

#4 1sickpuppy

1sickpuppy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:32 AM

That's awful! Are you having to rely on samples because of the costs?

#5 LunaSea

LunaSea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:10 PM

Thank You All for your replies & support, advice & care... I am "going thru it" right now... Sick... MAJOR head pinging... freezing then hot... crying for no reason... & anger has come back...
it's like all this so called "take this pill or pills... they will help you feel normal again"... DRUGS... just shoved down what I was "feeling" & now its ALL coming flying back up... 2 yrs later.... my dosage was 60 mg...
Unfortunately at this time with no health insurance... I am under the "care" of 'mental health care' a county run facility where they really don't 'care'...
so I am off cold turkey... still taking the xanax & the geodon to sleep... these scare me now too...
They (my DR is one of the many at this facility of which I've grown to like & trust... not so much anymore...) had not one sample to give me... nor would they write me a prescription to where even if I had the $$$ I could get more... however... no matter how hard it hurts & how bad I feel... I'd rather self medicate... as scary as that even is...
this is all of what I will try to discuss with my DR on Wednesday morning... in the "alloted 15 minutes" I get... I have no clue what she will say or advise... & to be quite honest I don't know what to believe or trust anymore...
I do believe there must be some natural forms of something that will help me to be "normal"... I was given some of the omega 3 fish oil caps... started those yesterday... (I'm not sure of the quality as my landlord had a bottle & gave me a bunch of vitamins & supplements to help me get thru this...) as far as benedryl.. I don't know... I tried Tylenol PM one time & it kept me up all night... so I'm probably one of the many other 'freaks of nature' out there... hehe... thank you for that...

So what if my DR tells me I need to keep taking this cymbalta??? it will be a full week on Wednesday being 100% off of it... I have read here it can take 2-3 weeks... I have to work & function just like everyone else does... in order to pay the bills... & hopefully soon be able to afford some sort of "health insurance"... (only in America...)
They were giving me samples as I had lost my job because of being depressed & anxious... I actually have one 30 mg pill that I thought of opening & just taking the little micro pills... but that would be dragging this out longer... I'd rather just be done with it... I want off because of reading & doing research & learning of all the horrible side effects of "coming off these"... one thing I've definitely learned of these 'people' (our so called DR's, well at least in my situation) is they are in it for the $$$... not in helping humans get "better" ( I'm sure there are those who genuinely care... but you have to be making just as much $$$ as they do to be able to afford seeing them...)
sure these psych drugs help initially... but we truly have to do the research now & see EXACTLY what these 'drugs' are doing to our minds & bodies...

#6 1sickpuppy

1sickpuppy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:46 AM

Are you feeling any better now?

#7 LunaSea

LunaSea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:41 AM

updating... I am feeling MUCH better now... the head pings have subsided alot... only under stressful situations do they come back badly... otherwise just random head pings... my mood swings are getting a little better...
I saw my dr & she is keeping me off the cymbalta... she upped the geodon (of which I found a site very similar to this one on that & the withdraw from that I read is very similar to coming off cymbalta...) to 1 in the am & 2 at night at 40mg... I've only been taking 1 at night... (2 at night if I cant sleep on just 1... as I don't ever want to go thru this kind of withdraw ever again...)
I have also been accepted into a program called DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) I start this in 3 weeks...
I have been taking the omega3 fish oil pills & vitamins as well & that seems to have helped alot...
my dr is seeing me in 2 weeks to see how I'm doing off the cymbalta... as of right now... I am happy to report I'm doing ok... not great... but ok which is a huge step from when I first went off...
I will continue to update here & try to help others here... as if it were not for this site I don't know what I would have done...
So again, I thank you all so very much =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users