• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 wlraz

wlraz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • why_joining:
    To share information as I have benefited so much from the posts of other members.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:37 PM

Hi everyone,
I am trying to post this on as many websites as I can that deal with Cymbalta withdrawal (or Eli Lilly's preferred - Cymbalta Discontinuation Syndrome -which I think is crap!) Anyways, I was placed on 60mg of Cymbalta daily about 5 years ago for the treatment of pain resulting from Fibromyalgia. At the time, there was no mention of the severe side effects of the drug or of the horrible withdrawal symptoms when trying to discontinue the drug.
Like many others, this drug was what I believed to be a God-send in helping to control my Fibro. It took quite a while for me to realize that the negative health issues I was having subsequent to starting the drug, like dizziness and fainting, low blood pressure and migraines were related to use of the drug. I was so constantly at the doctor's office for problems which seemed to have no answers that the doctor began to perceive me as a hypochondriac. Finally, after many years of searching, I came across a doctor who is gaining a great deal of notoriety in his discovery of a parasite (actually a protozoan) that causes Fibro and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. The testing is done differently than regular blood tests used (which kill the parasite) and sure enough I had a picture of this bug, in my body, wreaking havoc. The treatment was easy, healthy for my body and with exception of a low dose antibiotic, prescription drug free.
I started the treatment and noticed some improvements but not as big as I had expected. It was at this time that I considered that maybe Cymbalta was doing more harm than good and as it was prescribed for the treatment of FMS and CFS, I would not know if I was getting better unless I went off of it. So I decided to discontinue the Cymbalta. I went cold turkey for 7 days - I can't imagine anything closer to Hell. I became violently ill, diarrhea, nausea, migraines, vomiting every time I even thought about food, horrible rage with violent thoughts, suicidal tendencies (none of which I had ever had prior to Cymbalta), horrible closing of the lungs that no asthma medication could touch -I could barely breath, and I truly felt like I was going insane. I begged my husband to pay the ridiculous $150.00 price tag to get me back on the medicine. Sure enough within 5 hours of taking a dose, I was better.
Just an aside - I got in a bad car accident in 2006 when a woman who was texting t-boned my vehicle at an angle and sent it flying into a 4 foot in diameter pole. The doctors treated me with morphine which they eventually increased to 90 mg a day. The doctors told me I would be handicapped the rest of my life and would never be able to walk without assistance again. After 8 months of the drug, I decided I was not going to give up on me as the doctor’s had and I cold turkeyed the morphine (legal heroin.) I got sick for about 8 days – getting better as each day passed. I MUST TELL YOU THIS WITHDRAWAL FROM HEROIN WAS NOTHING COMPARED TO THE CYMBALTA WITHDRAWAL – NOTHING!!!!
Back to the story, I decided that again I was going to get off the Cymbalta about a week later, now pissed that this medication had total control of me. I did my homework this time, I was going to taper off the med. Unfortunately, my new insurance company had a different idea, they weren’t going to cover the Cymbalta, so I was looking at cold turkey again, this time. I researched for the last 4 days that I had left of the Cymbalta while my head was still clear. I came up with a combination of supplements, vitamins and one OTC med and a schedule for how I was going to take them, based on their reported benefits.
IT WORKED!!!!
I am on my 10th day cold turkey and I am able to function, think, my energy is coming back, I have normal human emotions again (no anger, rage, homicidal or suicidal thoughts or physical ailments.) I have a sense of humor and am starting to get back interest in the people and things that I so enjoyed before!
****I must note, however, that I was not on Cymbalta for depression. I do not have depression now, because I did not have it prior to taking the medicine. For those of you who are on an SNRI or a SSRI for the treatment of depression YOU MUST do any discontinuation of a medicine under the treatment of a doctor!!!! I am not a doctor, I am not prescribing any treatment, I want only to share with others who are suffering, the things that helped me get through this chaos with minimal symptoms.**** I am not selling anything, I won’t even tell you what brands of vitamins and supplements that I used, only the dosage and timing.
Before I do, I would like to thank all the wonderful people who shared their experiences on the different Cymbalta withdrawal websites. I was able to compile this list with their suggestions …Oh and thank you to the nice man who worked at Sprouts who gave me the final piece to my puzzle.
Here it is:
Before you stop the medicine, take 1600-2000 mg Omega 3 fatty acids daily (I take Atlantic Salmon fish oil) daily (I take one AM and one PM 1000 mg) for about a week. Make sure you have all supplements ready to go on the day you will miss your first dose and start taking them on that day.

AM supplements
OTC –anti-nausea, anti-dizzy ( I used generic Dramamine) – every four hours or as prescribed on the bottle (mine was 50mg Dimenhydrinate every 4 hours). I did not get up during the night, just took it first thing in the morning before I even thought of eating.
After anti-nausea has kicked in you should be able to eat a little something. After you have done so, take these supplements:
Vitamin C - 1000 mg
Vitamin D3 – 1000 IU
B 50 Complex
B-12 – 1000 mcg

5-HTP – 50 mg
15 mg of L-Dopa - you may have difficulty finding anything that is just L-Dopa, mine was called Mucuna which is an herbal supplement (referred to as a nervine tonic) that contains the 15 mg L-Dopa
Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc Complex – (1000mg Cal, 500mg Mag, 90mg Zinc) – make sure you take the recommended dose on the package as my supplement requires 4 caps to get the total amount of each supplement – I take 2 in the AM and 2 in the PM
Omega 3 – 1600-2000mg – taken 1 gel cap in the morning and 1 in the evening

During the Day
Continue to take OTC dizzy med FAITHFULLY do not miss a dose, do not be late – YOU WILL PAY FOR IT 

Evening before bed
Vitamin E – 400 IU
Evening Primrose Oil – 500 mg
5-HTP – 50 mg
Calcium, Magnesium,Zinc Complex
Omega 3
OTC – dizzy meds – helps you sleep too!

Additionally
Drink at least one G2 Gatorade a day – stay away from the full sugar version, leads to a higher chance of diarrhea. I drink one 32 oz bottle every day plus tons of water!!
Eat lots of fruit and vegetables because although you may have loose stools, it helps to remove remnants of the drug that cling inside the colon and in un-evacuated feces.
Drink fruit juices – the fresher the better
Stay away from caffeine – dehydrates and may also increase diarrhea
Cigarettes /nicotine – will make you nauseous sometimes even after taking the anti-dizzy OTC
Take time off from work if you can so you can rest plenty and when your body needs to.
I am on day 10, I have had very few withdrawal symptoms and today made it a whole day without the generic anti-dizzy med.

If you want to know the reasons I chose these supplements, let me know. I don't want to bore people with the science if they are desperate just to get at an answer.

#2 wlraz

wlraz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • why_joining:
    To share information as I have benefited so much from the posts of other members.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

exactly what are you taking 2,000 mg of for 2 weeks?

Hi Dawn,

Sorry, don't know how I missed that - 1600-2000 MG Omega 3 Fatty Acids - I take mine in the form of Atlantic Salmon fish oil. These are the reasons why I added it to the list.

1. Freedom from pain and inflammation. Omega 3 fish oil fatty acids, particularly EPA, have a very positive effect on your inflammatory response. Through several mechanisms, they regulate your body's inflammation cycle, which prevents and relieves painful conditions like arthritis, prostatitis, cystitis and anything else ending in "itis."

2. Better brain function and higher intelligence. Pregnant and nursing mothers can have a great impact on the intelligence and happiness of their babies by supplementing with omega 3 fish oil with DHA. For adults, fish oil improves memory, recall, reasoning and focus. You'll swear you're getting younger and smarter.

3. Feeling better with much less depression. Making you smarter is not all that fish oil does for your brain. Psychiatry department researchers at the University of Sheffield UK, along with many other research studies, found that fish oil supplements "alleviated" the symptoms of depression, bipolar and psychosis. [Journal of Affective Disorder Vol. 48(2-3);149-55]

I hope this helps you! Thanks for pointing out the error!

#3 wlraz

wlraz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:19 PM

I am on day 8 after weaning from 60-30- nothing. Thank God for you guys! I thought I was crazy! I too am having flu like symptoms and already had a flu vaccine, night sweats, problems with my brain buzzing, feeling anxious! I was taking it for nerve pain associated with RSD/CRPS and have done so well with it! I'm gonna stay the course but really appreciate your taking the time to share. I'll do the same.
Any ideas about natural remedies for the nausea other than OTC meds?

Hi Holly,

For nausea there are two ways to go if you are trying to stay the natural route - In the past I have used the homeopathic Nux vomica for nausea but more effectively I used the naturopathic ginger. The only thing I could not find was a truly effective naturopathic remedy for was the dizziness that is why I resorted to the OTC.

Good luck, Holly, you will be in my thoughts and prayers!

#4 wlraz

wlraz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:21 PM

WHAT VITAMIN DO YOU MEAN HERE? YOU DO NOT GIVE A NAME. Before you stop the medicine, take 1600-2000 mg daily (I take one AM and one PM 1000 mg) for about a week.

Sorry, don't know how I missed that - 1600-2000 MG Omega 3 Fatty Acids - I take mine in the form of Atlantic Salmon fish oil.

#5 wlraz

wlraz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:57 PM

thank you for these posts!! your information and openness are a blessing !!!

Have been on Cymbalta for 5+ years - while had a positive impact to my 'issues' in the beginning, now over long term use I have developed muscle stiffness plus a variety of the nastier long term use side effects ... yuck!! Am ready to break free.

Going to give your 'recipe' a try .... Will check back in to let you know how it goes ~ Again, Thank you !!!

Good luck! I wish you all the best! You will be in my thoughts and prayers!

#6 wlraz

wlraz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:01 PM

Thank you for the last tip. For the past 3 years I have been on celexa, prozac and for the past 6 months cymbalta for Fibromyalgia and I was not depressed or have a history of depression. My muscle stiffness is terrible. Want to feel like "myself" again and not that drugged feeling. I want to take the natural route with vitamin supplements and I have started a exercise routine. Your posting lifted my spirits and made me feel like I am not alone. THANK YOU!!!! A naturopath doctor told SAM-E is a good vitamin to take when weaning off a anitdepressant or used in place of a anti-depressant if you have a syndrome like Fibromyalgia. Have you heard of that?

I have heard of SAM-E and considered taking it or using it instead of the 5-htp, the only reason I didn't was the price. It is kind of expensive and we just don't have the money right now. Thank you for the suggestion though!!

#7 Genna13

Genna13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    Weaning off Cymbalta and seeking support

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:24 AM

Hello!
I am doing something very similar, with a few additions, but am weaning off slowly-- 60mg, 12 months. Into month 6 and the supplementation is a lifesaver. I DO HAVE WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS but everyone is different. The most important thing in my mind is the fact that these supplements really alleviate the pain of the process and make life bearable.
Thank you! So glad you are sharing!
Genna

#8 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:19 PM

Hello Wlaz:
I have taken cymbalta for 5 years for severe Depression. I weaned slowly for a year and now I have chronic fatigue symptoms. You mentioned something in one of your posts about chronic fatigue caused by a parasite. What kind of tests measures this? I don´t know if the chronic fatigue symptoms are due to cymbalta withdrawal or and underlying chronic fatigue that hasn´t been diagnosed?

#9 brainzaphell

brainzaphell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

Does the dramamine help with the brain zaps?

#10 bigmamma

bigmamma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:57 AM

Hi- I am new to this site and read your post with great interest! I have been reading more and more about CFS lately and trying to find the link between my many symptoms (depression, muscle and joint aches, fatigue, brain fog, etc) and CFS. I know I have tested positive several times for an active Epstein Barr viral infection which is why I have bouts of extreme fatigue. I am in the process of weaning off Cymbalta and will do my best to manage my depression with supplements and light exercise. My doctor advised me to not exercise strenuously because that seems to trigger another round of an active EBV infection. I've been through every blood test out there to identify the source of my health issues and other than EBV, everything comes back normal (thyroid, iron, blood count, etc.) I've never considered a parasite or protozoa. Can you share more about your findings and the name of the doctor conducting research about this? If there is a specific test that does not contaminate the results of the test, I would love to know more. Thank you for sharing! This is the kind of sharing that helps us all.

#11 medicgipson

medicgipson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:34 PM

I am on day 9 of being cymbalta "free" after being on 60mg for 4 years. I quit cold turkey (which my PCP advised me to do stating I should "be fine" if I start replacing it with the Wellbutin the same day). I have been to hell and am on my way back. My biggest symptoms have been the dizziness and brain zaps. I took the advice of adding Omega-3 suppliments. I have tried Bonine and Dramamine for the dizziness with improvement to symptoms noted. I did notice that I had a couple of days that my symptoms were much less apparent, so I tried thinking back to remember what I had done differently on those days. There were two thing; the first was that I had taken benadryl the night before (to help me sleep) and second was I had taken an Alieve cold and sinus those days. So, I am not sure what the the reasoning is for this, but I thought that I would share it. I intend to investigate and research further...there MUST be something to help with these horrible, crippling symptoms. As I type this, I have had about 20 brain buzzes! (Mostly when I abruptly change my line of vision). So if there is any neurologists on here that can explain the whats, whys, and what to do to stop these things....your expertise would be MUCH appreciated!

#12 thisisbananas

thisisbananas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:19 PM

Thank you so much.

I had my 60mg of Cymbalta changed this past Wednesday. I'm also in the induction phase of Atkins, so when I started getting really sick to my stomach, then started throwing up, getting the shakes, numb fingers, etc. etc. yesterday, I thought I had low blood sugar. I ended up having some orange juice and a few crackers and then slept for 14 hours straight. I woke up today feeling like I had a hangover.

Then I started doing research.

I cannot believe I was put on this garbage without being told this ahead of time.

But I am definitely going to try the dramamine.

#13 wlraz

wlraz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:29 AM

Hello Wlaz:
I have taken cymbalta for 5 years for severe Depression. I weaned slowly for a year and now I have chronic fatigue symptoms. You mentioned something in one of your posts about chronic fatigue caused by a parasite. What kind of tests measures this? I don´t know if the chronic fatigue symptoms are due to cymbalta withdrawal or and underlying chronic fatigue that hasn´t been diagnosed?

Hi there,

Sorry, I lost my password and couldn't figure out how to get back on here. Anyway, the doctor that I saw for the test is Dr. Stephen Fry. He is in Scottsdale, AZ and he studies diseases caused by protozoa and parasites. It is his belief that Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia are the same disease and that they are caused by a protozoa contracted when the subject was bitten by either a mosquito or a tick, much the same way as someone contracts Lyme's Disease or West Nile Virus. He owns Fry Laboratories in Scottsdale. When I saw him last he put me on a little to no fat diet (less than 15 mg of fat a day). He was right, the Fibromyalgia pain has subsided as long as I stick to the diet. I am still waiting for my energy to come back, however. When I have the money, I will go back for another visit to see if there he has any suggestions for the fatigue.
By the way, the test is a blood test which is run with a different protocol using a rare microscope. It is pricey. However, he was able to confirm the protozoa was in my system (I even have a picture of the little bugger). Unfortunately, there is no way to kill the bug, just put it into dormancy with the low fat diet.

Good luck!! I hope some of this helps.

#14 wlraz

wlraz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:31 AM

Hi- I am new to this site and read your post with great interest! I have been reading more and more about CFS lately and trying to find the link between my many symptoms (depression, muscle and joint aches, fatigue, brain fog, etc) and CFS. I know I have tested positive several times for an active Epstein Barr viral infection which is why I have bouts of extreme fatigue. I am in the process of weaning off Cymbalta and will do my best to manage my depression with supplements and light exercise. My doctor advised me to not exercise strenuously because that seems to trigger another round of an active EBV infection. I've been through every blood test out there to identify the source of my health issues and other than EBV, everything comes back normal (thyroid, iron, blood count, etc.) I've never considered a parasite or protozoa. Can you share more about your findings and the name of the doctor conducting research about this? If there is a specific test that does not contaminate the results of the test, I would love to know more. Thank you for sharing! This is the kind of sharing that helps us all.

Hi,

The doctor that I saw for the test is Dr. Stephen Fry. He is in Scottsdale, AZ and he studies diseases caused by protozoa and parasites. It is his belief that Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia are the same disease and that they are caused by a protozoa contracted when the subject was bitten by either a mosquito or a tick, much the same way as someone contracts Lyme's Disease or West Nile Virus. He owns Fry Laboratories in Scottsdale. When I saw him last he put me on a little to no fat diet (less than 15 mg of fat a day). He was right, the Fibromyalgia pain has subsided as long as I stick to the diet. I am still waiting for my energy to come back, however. When I have the money, I will go back for another visit to see if there he has any suggestions for the fatigue.
By the way, the test is a blood test which is run with a different protocol using a rare microscope. It is pricey. However, he was able to confirm the protozoa was in my system (I even have a picture of the little bugger). Unfortunately, there is no way to kill the bug, just put it into dormancy with the low fat diet.

#15 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

Hi there,

Sorry, I lost my password and couldn't figure out how to get back on here. Anyway, the doctor that I saw for the test is Dr. Stephen Fry. He is in Scottsdale, AZ and he studies diseases caused by protozoa and parasites. It is his belief that Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia are the same disease and that they are caused by a protozoa contracted when the subject was bitten by either a mosquito or a tick, much the same way as someone contracts Lyme's Disease or West Nile Virus. He owns Fry Laboratories in Scottsdale. When I saw him last he put me on a little to no fat diet (less than 15 mg of fat a day). He was right, the Fibromyalgia pain has subsided as long as I stick to the diet. I am still waiting for my energy to come back, however. When I have the money, I will go back for another visit to see if there he has any suggestions for the fatigue.

Thank you for the info. My fatigue subsided with acupuncture. I think there are different causes for fatigue. For example it could be former mononucleosis (chronic infection of Epstein Barr virus), it could be heavy metal toxicity or the protozoa you mention. It is very interesting the low fat diet that you mentioned

#16 mothergoosie1

mothergoosie1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:26 PM

I have just found this website and am already off of the drug, so would the Omega 3 meds still help?

#17 Optimistic

Optimistic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

wlraz,

I just joined the group and found your post to be very informative. I am definitely going to try this out. I wanted to see how long you felt the withdrawal symptoms, and how long you continued your regimen? How do you feel now?

My story is a long one that extends over the past 4 years starting with a car accident in 2008 (right after I got married, moved to a new city, and just started a new job). I will try to spare you all the details, but basically I had terrible whiplash that they just wanted to medicate. (NOTE: Prior to the accident I NEVER went to the doc. On rare occasions of the flu I went to walk in clinics, but never actually had a GP). I went to a new doc in the hopes of finding a new answer (other than pain meds) to my problem. He basically said that he thought that it was all in my head and I was depressed (which I was, bc I couldn't function like a normal person and had to live on drugs). I had never been depressed before in my life. He prescribed me Cymbalta. I took Cymbalta for 2.5 weeks, which started out fantastic, but quickly had terrible side effects. So he told me to just to stop taking them (he never said to wean). A couple of weeks after stopping, I felt like I was dying (literally). I couldn't eat or drink without throwing it up, I couldn't sleep, I couldn't do anything without debilitating pain, I would have the shakes (tremors), heart palpitations, and I would get to the point where I felt so anxious and overwhelmed my eyes would roll back in my head and it felt like my head was going to explode. I was in and out of the ER and gastroenterologist and of course everyone said I was "fine", but could possibly have IBS.

This continued for almost two months before I found my current doctor, who diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia. So, she prescribed me Cymbalta (again) for the fibro. After taking it, my symptoms stopped almost instantly. I never put two and two together that all of the extended health issues were caused by the Cymbalta, and of course I naively thought that doctors would not prescribe something that was bad for you. So I have been taking it ever since. After still suffering from chronic pain in my neck, shoulder, and upper back along with NO libido, stomach issues, clenching jaw (just to name a few), I decided I needed to get off of the Cymbalta. I have found other forms of therapy (massage, chiropractic, acupuncture) that have made a huge difference in my pain. I have come to the conclusion that Cymbalta is causing more of my problems than fixing them. I started to wean a little over a year ago. I was at 60mg and have been sitting at 20mg for the past several months. I started out weaning pretty fast, and it really affected my work. I felt terrible! The brain zaps, problems focusing, and memory loss were awful and caused me to be very unproductive at my job. Not to mention I felt like I had the flu which made it extremely difficult just to get out of bed in the mornings. It got so bad, I almost lost my job...I was even very honest with my boss prior to weaning and she was understanding at first, but then lost all compassion. So at that point I decided to stop weaning in order to keep my job.

I had recently been feeling very weak in my limbs (I can't play with or hold my nephews for more than a few min), I bruise easily, and I just feel SO tired and fatigued and I had gained about 25 lbs in 6 months (which was odd for me bc I have always been lucky to never fluctuate more than a couple of pounds since high school). I went to the doc about a month ago and I was diagnosed with hypothyroid (which I had been tested for before and was fine in the years prior). Even though my TSH levels were still considered normal, they had increased over a full point in the past year or so. I did some research and have read other stories, and there is evidence that Cymbalta slows down the pituitary gland which in turn slows down the thyroid gland. The reason I am mentioning this, is because you mentioned continued fatigue and I thought this might be something for you to look into.

With this new diagnosis, it just makes me want to get off of Cymbalta even more! I am pissed off and terrified all at the same time. I actually applied for a new job, and I have an interview next week! I certainly don’t want to start off on a bad foot (if I get hired). I feel stuck in a rut because I want things to change, but I am scared that it is going to affect me so bad that I can’t continue to do what I HAVE to do to get by. I am optimistic that I will get better, but maybe I am in need of encouragement and to hear from someone who has gotten off of it successfully and is living a happier life free of Cymbalta. If you have any additional tips or ideas that could help I would really appreciate your feedback!

#18 Demeanor37

Demeanor37

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

Yes, can you please tell me the brands of the supplements you used? I've tried using some of these already in combination with lower the dose day by day. But I am just so anxious to STOP this all together. I know so many advise NOT to do that.....but I most definitely prefer taking the supplements you suggest instead of more of that poison everyday.
Also, where do you find the 5 HTP and L-Dopa? My other question is that the dramamine I have says to only take 1 every 12 hrs...do you really take 1 every 4? I would have to say that so far the dizziness and nausea are the worst side effects for me so I do really want to eliminate those if possible.
THANKS for all the info!!!

#19 Dylan

Dylan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

Wlraz - thanks for all the great information. Even though I tapered very slowly, I'm getting subtle brain-zaps, stuttering and 'word-loss' (can't find the right words). I'm going to supplement to support my body/brain in this transition.

Thanks again.

#20 Lmbunl

Lmbunl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:27 AM

I was only on cymbalta for a month and started having side effects. Trying to wean off and those effects are horrible and was not warned by my doctor. I plan to try these supplements----thanks for the time you took to let us know. If I find anything else will definitely post

#21 Judy98

Judy98

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

Thank you for all of your research and for the regimen you came up with to ease the symptoms. I knew that Gatorade helped with the light-headed, "floating brain" feelings. You didn't explain why you thought Gatorade was needed, so I'm not sure if your reasoning is the same or not. I

#22 SamuelEvan

SamuelEvan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL
  • why_joining:
    I've gone cold turkey now for 3 days and I'm in hell. Looking for tips on detoxing.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

I'm going to try this. I had no idea the medicine was that damning to my stomach. No wonder I'm in hell.

#23 freeme2

freeme2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:35 PM

Gatorade is usually used to replenish your electrolytes loss (extreme diarrhea).

I give this to my kids when they are extremely sick with the flu to rehydrate them.

#24 mitsisue90

mitsisue90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:45 AM

Wlraz - thanks for all the great information. Even though I tapered very slowly, I'm getting subtle brain-zaps, stuttering and 'word-loss' (can't find the right words). I'm going to supplement to support my body/brain in this transition.

Thanks again.

Hi,
I "lose my words" too and i find i am often searching for a word that is on the tip of my tongue but I just cannot bring it to mind. I also get the stuttering but I had not heard of anyone else mentioning it. Thought it was just me. I am going to try the fish oil. I have been using the 'counting out the beads' method and have managed to get down to about half dose in about 6 weeks with no side effects.
Cheers M

#25 AJB40

AJB40

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

I'm on day 21 of a -7, -14, -21...etc. bead per day taper.  I have approximately 19 days to go before I'm Cymbalta free.  I've been taking Cymbalta 30mg once a day for 1 1/2 years for depression.  So far I've been averaging 1 HORRIBLE day per week.  Some moments are better than others, as well.  The brain zaps are very minimal, occasional nausea, facial tingling almost like numbness, occasional headache, loss of words (I will say something and it doesn't come out quite right or I'm not sure if I said it correctly), and mild mood swings.

I agree with everyone who have said they wouldn't have taken Cymbalta if they'd known how terrible it is to get off this stuff.  My Dr. had originally prescribed Lexapro but my insurance wouldn't cover it but they would cover Cymbalta instead.  (After I'd already taken 1 month of free Lexapro samples that the Dr. had given me.)

The supplements I've been taking are:

AM-

1 -  Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega D3 (1280mg Omega 3's and 1000 IU Vitamin D3

2 - I-Caps Multivitamins

1 - Spring Valley Co Q 10 (50mg)

PM

1 - Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega D3

2 - I-Caps Multivitamins

1 - Spring Valley Co Q 10 (50mg)

2 - Spring Valley Probiotic Multi-Enzyme Digestive Formula

1-  Benadryl

1 - Melatonin (5mg)

I wish I could take the 5-HTP but it advises not to take it while still on Cymbalta.  I will add it to my regiman once my taper is over.

#26 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

Sounds like a good plan you have AJB40

I can't find what all is in Spring Valley Probiotic Multi-Enzyme Digestive Formula other than it does have a milk and wheat so would be out for me with the milk but the Spring Valley Co Q 10 (50mg) sounds good

If you start getting headaches, try L-Theanine (make sure it is suntheanine) which Spring Valley also has and possibly an Amino Balance or eating raw Pumpkin seeds or unsalted peanuts.

Good luck and come back often to let us know how things are going

Take care of you

#27 AJB40

AJB40

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

Thank you lady2882Nancy!  I will try the L-Theanine and thanks for the tips!  Do you or anyone else know if anyone on Cymbalta taper has taken 5-HTP?  I'm worried about serotonin syndrome but then again I just found out I wasn't supposed to take cold meds with Cymbalta either and I've done that several times already!

#28 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

I haven't been able to can confirm whether anyone who took it was still on Crapalta or not. I'm being cautious as with all the problems I had with Crapalta and the side effects of getting off, I don't want to make it worse so am waiting til I can find out.

I was taking Crapalta in the morning and Amitriptyline at night and that is a conflict too.

I will post an answer when I get one. 

#29 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

Thank you lady2882Nancy!  I will try the L-Theanine and thanks for the tips!  Do you or anyone else know if anyone on Cymbalta taper has taken 5-HTP?  I'm worried about serotonin syndrome but then again I just found out I wasn't supposed to take cold meds with Cymbalta either and I've done that several times already!

Do you mean like Sudafed or cough medicine, i.e. Robitussin?  Well, either way, I did it numerous times!  Woops!  I always thought that taking psuedoephedrine while using Cymbalta had a strange stimulating effect...guess that's why.   :ph34r:

#30 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

GreenMachine - yes there is a warning about taking Crapalta with those kinds of meds lol

I am going to post in a new forum what I have found about 5-HTP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users