Flynn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    to get help

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:42 PM

Hi All,

I was put on the standard tapering schedule by my GP: I went from a daily dose of Cymbalta 60 mg to 30 mg daily for one month, then 30 mg every other day for a month, and then to zero mg. I'm on day 41 of being off the stuff completely, and I am still experiencing the following withdrawal symptoms:

* severe anxiety
* depression
* irritability/anger

These symptoms have not abated since I quit taking the meds. Are there any others out there who have experienced such a long withdrawal period? I'm scared to death to think that maybe this is how I am, and it doesn't have to do with withdrawal at this point. (I have been taking antidressants for probably 15 years and have stayed on them mainly because I figured I "probably needed them" and simply from force of habit.) I have a follow-up appt. with the doctor tomorrow, but I'm afraid she'll simply want me to start back up on either Cymbalta or another med, which I refuse to do.

Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thank you!

#2 CymHaltya

CymHaltya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • why_joining:
    2nd month of cold-turkey withdrawal from Cymbalta - thought it'd be ok by now
    Support Exchange

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:41 AM

Hi All,

I was put on the standard tapering schedule by my GP: I went from a daily dose of Cymbalta 60 mg to 30 mg daily for one month, then 30 mg every other day for a month, and then to zero mg. I'm on day 41 of being off the stuff completely, and I am still experiencing the following withdrawal symptoms:

* severe anxiety
* depression
* irritability/anger

These symptoms have not abated since I quit taking the meds. Are there any others out there who have experienced such a long withdrawal period? I'm scared to death to think that maybe this is how I am, and it doesn't have to do with withdrawal at this point. (I have been taking antidressants for probably 15 years and have stayed on them mainly because I figured I "probably needed them" and simply from force of habit.) I have a follow-up appt. with the doctor tomorrow, but I'm afraid she'll simply want me to start back up on either Cymbalta or another med, which I refuse to do.

Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Hi Flynn - I stopped a 60Mg dosage at the end of Sept 2010 and what's left of the withdrawal symptoms include: tinnitus, bowling ball head (aka brain zaps) and depression. The depression has been debilitating, really, really debilitating. For each day where I'm able to accomplish something productive I'll spend one or sometimes two days where I'm unable to get out of bed.

In relative terms however, I'm feeling much better than I did during the darkest part of the "discontinuation syndrome" - so for me, there has been improvement. I echo your concerns about the resiliency of the withdrawal. When the mess stays around for so long it may also be difficult to discern what's cymbalta and what's left of normal.

It was was great to find this forum because there isn't anyone, regardless of how close they are to us, who can appreciate what we've experienced and continue to suffer with, who hasn't been here. I did become overwhelmed by the amount of anguish after a while and began to journal my trip in a blog cymbaltawillhaltya.wordpress.com.

I've found that sometimes the only thing left to do is hang in until tomorrow to see what it brings...hang in.

#3 CymHaltya

CymHaltya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • why_joining:
    2nd month of cold-turkey withdrawal from Cymbalta - thought it'd be ok by now
    Support Exchange

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:33 AM

Thanks for your feedback. When I had the follow-up with the doctor, she told me that I wouldn't be experiencing withdrawal symptoms after six weeks of being off Cymbalta. She wasn't all that helpful in telling me what I can do. I've formed my own conclusion that my body is now recalibrating itself. I just hope it can remember how to produce seritonin, and at higher levels!!

I think I've come to realize that unless I can "heal myself," I'll spend my life in this endless cycle of depression and anxiety--or in a zombie-like state caused by antidepressants. I found a book titled Calming Your Anxious Mind: How Mindfulness & Compassion Can Free You From Anxiety. (Anxiety seems to be my biggest issue right now, hand-in-hand with the depression.) It is based on the practice of "mindfulness meditation," and I can only be hopeful that once I've gotten through the book and have begun a meditation practice, I'll begin to feel better. It's tough, because so many things are happening in my life right now that would cause any normal person to seek out an antidepressant (or other substances!), but the physical problems they cause me as well as the numb mental state are unacceptable.

Doctors prescribe these things like they're candy, and it's horrible. And so many of their "studies" of drugs [name one!] are funded by the same pharmaceutical companies who are making the drugs, which means the truly debilitating effects they have on people are either hidden or downplayed, i.e., "Only 2% of subjects experienced these symptoms."

Anyway, best of luck to you. I do hope you find relief! Check out the book!

Thanks - I'd been meditating twice a day though found that without regular exercise, it can bring me a little deeper than I'm equipped to deal with just now. The whole pharmacologized culture is incredible, and is tainting the hard-won respect and trust of the medical profession. I've found interesting nutritional reading in "Depression Free, Naturally" by Joan Larson - she holds a PhD in nutrient and the basis of her work is orthomolecular medicine - while the book seems to be well-suited to helping her sell nutrient formulas from her clinic, the principles make a lot of sense.

Remember that Cymbalta works on norepinephrine as well as serotonin but it doesn't create either neurotransmitter but prohibits a natural re-uptake process so that the targeted neurotransmitters remain after they've fired. The precursor (raw materials) for these can be found in several amino acids, the stuff that makes up protein. For serotonin it's tryptophan, found naturally in eggs, meats/ poultry, spirulina, and, for norepinephrine, the precursor is tyrosine, found in meats, eggs, nuts, soy.

For therapeutic dosages, tyrosine can be bought at the heath store / pharmacy - tryptophan however, requires a prescription; a major supplier once sold contaminated tryptophan with tragic consequences and, though the contamination was a result of the process and not the amino itself, the FDA banned it. Worth noting is that the ban occurred just four days prior to a Newsweek feature story about another of Eli Lilly's potions, Prozac.

Vitamin C (esther) helps to metabolize the tyrosine. Note that another amino, 5-HTP, also converts to serotonin but does so in the liver which creates heart risks and very little is passed from the blood to the brain. Also, B vitamins (especially B6 & B12), Omega 3 & 6, minerals...warm baths with mineral salts, etc.

Note that in november 2010, cymbalta was approved for indications of certain types of pain. it was not approved for stress-induced incontinence because of liver damage and the risk of suicide it created. yes, it's too dangerous for patients who need help with incontinence because it will damage their liver and might cause them to commit suicide but is ok for people in the midst of a dark depression. huh?

I'm with you on self-healing and I'm consulting with an orthomolecular-trained MD for blood work to confirm levels of the various nutrients and minerals and, to get a prescription for tryptophan. The thought of taking another ill-tested poison from the likes of Eli Lilly even sounds creepy.

Best of luck, thanks for the book tip, I'll pick it up.

#4 Anniemac

Anniemac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:38 PM

Hi Flynn, I'm definitely tired because well I feel like crap everyday. I barely eat anymore. I've lost about 20-25 pounds in two months. Some days it's hard to eat anything at all and others I'm happy if i had one decent meal. I'm just not well enough to exercise like I was before my cymbalta crash. Before medication there was times where my anxiety/ depression decreased my appetite but never for 2 whole months! That's why i really feel like this is stemming from cymbalta. The drs I've seen say i would only have withdrawals for a few weeks after stopping cymbalta. My scariest feelings started 6 weeks after( major panic, crying and hopeless for days) followed by pins n needles as well as burning in my neck and shoulders. The worst seems over but I just don't know what to do with this anxiety/ depression and inability to eat. ....it's hard to work most days. I'm thinking of taking time off. Either to get better on another med or try to stay med free longer. Although I am taking klonopin now when needed. If I was able to eat better and exercise I feel like being med free would be easier, but I just can't yet.....the hardest part is figuring out the next step! Keep me posted. Wishing u well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users