Photo

Can't afford supplements? What foods to get...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:05 PM

Use Barley instead of rice or like you would rice. It comes as breakfast cereal, but it is a grain.
I think it is that website theroadback that says something about their product PowerBarley, never bought it, this is from theroadback.org website:
Power Barley Formula – If you have fatigue and you are tired all the time, Power Barley Formula will work.

But you can get the barley cereal at the regular grocery store, I think where they sell oatmeal, and use it like you would rice, cook it just like you cook rice. I like it better than rice. If you are near a health food store, some sell "hulled barley" in bulk.

Green Tea is good, but takes some time getting used to the taste.

A little expensive, but I like Propel water. I don't buy the water already made, they sell packets of powder that I use a Lexan bottle to mix it with and carry it with me everywhere. It tastes good and has vitamin B in it. If you buy the powders, it is about 1/3 the cost of buying it pre-made in plastic bottles that are bad for the earth.

Do not drink too much caffeine. My first few weeks of withdrawal, to try to stay awake because I wanted to sleep all of the time, I would drink about 12 cups of black tea with caffeine, not sure what I was trying to accomplish, but it does not help you rest.

#2 jane

jane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:37 AM

additional foods:

add freshly squeezed lemon juice to water, it increases hydration to your muscles and joints, helps with cramps

eggs, eggs, eggs! (I just had a breakfast of scrambled eggs with salsa - or just add sliced tomatoes - and it was really soothing!)

lentils, beans, etc.

bananas

applesauce - I make my own, it is sooo easy, just peel and core apples, slice, add water, and a little sugar or splenda, and cook on top of the stove, stirring occasionally until the apples get soft (10 minutes, or so), then mash with a fork and add cinnamon. it is a lot better than purchased applesauce, and two apples make three to four servings!!

cinnamon

barley, taboule, or real rice, not minute rice

cabbage

right now I am avoiding any prepacked food with lots of salt, preservative, high fructose corn syrup, AND msg

Graybeard is so right - msg adds all kind of trauma to your body while you are trying to cleanse out cymbalta

I am also adding some fish oil (omega 3 supplements) and already I have experienced a reduction in the "whooshing" sound in my ears and vertigo. If you can't afford any supplements, eat eggs without salt, tuna, and salmon.

#3 jane

jane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:21 AM

Greybeard,

thanks for the link to the website! That has a lot of helpful information. The funny thing about it, apparently my body has been trying to tell me what to eat, look at the foods I have been buying in the earlier post (and, I remember your post about buying eggs at the supermarket!) We all really need to slow down, listen to our body's instincts on what it needs, and then try it out. Eggs with tomatoes seems to be the best bet for me, followed off with a banana or applesauce.

That website link was one of the most helpful to me to date, thank you again for sharing your information.

Feeling a little better every day, still taking Nordic Naturals fish oil capsules, and that is really still helping my electrical shocks, nausea and dizziness - effect is usually within 20 minutes of taking, after eating.

#4 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:59 PM

Wow! Great information! and it sucks! I quit drinking coffee, and began drinking tea, just plain old Lipton to begin with. I have started to reduce it, because while weaning, I became hyper sensitive to it. I started drinking decaf green tea, but, oddly enough, it feels like it gives me a jolt. It is different than a caffeine jolt, but still, it wasn't relaxing. I finally acquired a taste for chamomile tea, and that is soothing. My coffee and tea habits are as much of the habit of sipping on something hot as the addiction to the caffeine itself.

Sorry, I'm rambling, but thanks GB for the information!

#5 rebeccaf508

rebeccaf508

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:49 PM

I found this website - I'm researching as much as possible!! - I know it's A LOT to read but it's most definitely worth it! There are some extremely good points. I don't remember what website because I just copied it to my email and sent it to myself. But these are the key points of the article!!

The key solution to recovery is NOT to stimulate your nervous system, but, to sedate your nervous system. Every time when you stimulate a nervous system that in fact needs to be sedated to recover, you delay the process of healing. We know it will be impossible to lock your self up in a dark, silent room and this is definitely not what we are trying to say. You just have to learn when to withdraw yourself (and thus your nervous system) from stimuli and when to come out.

Consider sweat baths (sauna baths). This is a very healthy habit. Sweat baths are extremely sedating to the nervous system. When you take a sweat bath on a regular base this will strengthen your cardiovascular system and improve the blood circulation. Next to this, go out in nature, trees, green, oxygen, gentle walking, etc..

We learned that everyone who is experiencing (SSRI) antidepressant side-effects, is looking for the quick relief. People are experimenting with whatever supplement or fabricated synthetic vitamin they can get their hands on. Simply avoid this if that is possible.

Two to three simple bananas and kiwi's, an egg-sandwich, 2-3 glasses of milk, a few tomatoes and an avocado a day provides many of the essential vitamins, (trace)minerals & amino acids you need on a daily base. Vegetables especially rich in essential elements are: Peas, Potatoes, Broccoli, Squash (Summer), Spinach, Lima Beans & Kale. The taste of nature is nice and it saves you money on unnecessary supplements too!

Friends and Family
These times are very tough to experience. Your friends and family cannot even imagine the powerful influence these drugs have on your mind and your sub-consciousness. They simply cannot believe that these drugs can have such a powerful effect on someone's brain. You might loose your trust in them after this. Try to accept and understand their ignorant and frustrating reactions. Avoid them for a while, if that's possible.

How can I assist my recovery during this period?

Avoid any psycho-stimulants such as medications, herbs, but especially: violence on TV. Why? Because right now your nervous system has become hyper-sensitive and extremely susceptible to every input from your surroundings, not only light and sound! You must also protect your sub-consciousness until you reach a level of emotional stability.
Ingest low acid foods and try to minimize the ingestion of high acidic foods with a low pH-grade! REMEMBER: You need to 'alkalinize' your system (body) above a pH value of '7' !
Avoid Grapefruit Juice. Grapefruit juice is an inhibitor of the cytochrome P-450 enzymes. These enzymes are known to metabolise (break down) (SSRI) antidepressants in the liver. Drinking grapefruit juice whilst you are taking an (SSRI) antidepressant can create a serious toxic reaction, because the (SSRI) antidepressant will build to toxic levels in the bloodstream! For more information click here.
No caffeine. Drink lots of chamomile tea, sweetened with honey.
No alcohol.
Don't take Saint John's Worth. St. John's Worth works more or less as a natural SSRI (on post synaptic receptors), also interacting with your serotonergic neural system
Don't take Ma-Huang (Ephedra) because it's a powerful adrenalin (epinephrine) stimulant, triggering adrenalin rushes.
Don't take Kava Kava, it can intensify (SSRI) antidepressant (withdrawal) side-effects or give flashbacks to previous side-effects you experienced.
Eat neutral alkaloids, vegetables, etc..
Consider fasting for 1 to 10 days. Fasting detoxifies your body, but be careful and monitor your bloodsugar levels daily.
Don't do any intensive exercise like jogging or aerobics, but instead try meditation, gentle stretching, gentle walking.
Go out in Nature, or go to a Sauna, or whatever environment where you may find a little peace of mind and body.
Listen to light Classic music or New Age music, watch cartoons (or anything else without violence), go walking, take hot or cold showers, anything that might work for you, anything to "manage" the "twilight zone" of suicidal and offensive thoughts and dissociated emotions.
Focus on memories of events in your past (like childhood memories) which will recall positive emotions. Hang on to them!
Learn during this period, which thought or view will give you any positive emotional response and write this down into the form of an affirmation! Read these affirmations for yourself every morning when you wake up! In this way you will slightly re-program your brain to tune into positive emotions.
Time and Nature will be your best friends in your healing process. In this battle you don't fight to win because you can't. You simply will survive it. Focus on the thought to survive this, and you will, just as other individuals did. Don't force yourself to become the person again that you were before this, but make a statement to yourself that you will come out of this "trip." Make this statement to your self everyday, every hour.

Whilst You are Recovering...
Continue to ingest proper food, vegetables and fruit during this period. Treat your nervous system with care. As mentioned above: don't think when the better days arrive that you can charge your nervous system like you always did before. It will give you a major set-back! Be careful and monitor your body closely whilst you are ingesting a supplement or herb.

#6 rebeccaf508

rebeccaf508

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:13 PM

Thanks! I completely forgot to copy the website! But it most definitely helped me

#7 iliao93

iliao93

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCamby IN
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawals

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:59 PM

Glad to see you mention the vinegar & honey Irish, I was going to suggest that also. I'm going to search some of my saved and see what I can add here.
Be Well,
Bobbie

#8 perpetuallytreu

perpetuallytreu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:31 PM

So I went through Withdrawal for 3 weeks :( and am now better :) . Here is what helped me and didn't help me. The ones with the exclamation points were the most effective.

The first week i just suffered; finally i looked to see what helped other people and tried things; some helped some didnt. My Dr said 1 Prozac would stop it but I didnt believe her or want to take Prozac so I just suffered. She also said i was dehydrated and told me i had to replenish my electrolytes. Before that the thought hadnt occurred to me. Boy was she right! I forced myself to drive to whole foods and talk to someone there and picked up some items that helped tremendously.

:idea: What helped:
:?: I know this will seem like a lot of stuff to take ; and it is, but the symptoms are awful so it takes a lot. Whenever I didn't do the whole combo one or more symptoms became sever with it they were mild to moderate or at time non-existent.

:!: Electrolyte Drinks/Sports Drinks (16oz per hour on ave): This is a lot of liquid but barely enough with the dehydration withdrawal causes. After a full day of drinking like this my brain buzz went away! Then by mid-day the next day the weird out of body feeling and odd feeling that my brain would explode went away as well. I also stopped feeling dizzy and the vertigo symptoms went away. I even ;) laughed that day for the first time in 2 weeks. It also helped me feel less sleepy. The more i drank the better I felt but there were still some symptoms.
:arrow: Imodium: You cant get re hydrated while you are still losing your fluids. I only had to take 1 dose and it helped it a lot.
:arrow: Antioxidants (ex:blueberries, pomegranates) i bought Odwalla B Monster and drank a big glass twice a day. I also bought fresh blueberries: This lessened all my symptoms and gave me a little energy (who knows why)
:arrow: Flor-Essence (available at whole foods)- I took as directed and it helped my tummy, nausea, and drugged out feeling as well as emotions
:!: Claritan D: Helped with headache, congestion and all the stuff it normally helps as well as dizzy/vertigo symptoms
:!: Multi Vitamin: Helped all symptoms - the day i didn't take it I really noticed
:arrow: Probiotics (available at all health food stores): Helped nausea, digestive issues and stomach ache
:!: Prozac (5mg) - I eventually gave in the 2nd week when i wasn't better and took 1 Prozac. I bought 1 generic pill at Walgreens for $2. I dint think it would help and was afraid i would just end up having withdrawal from it too. I had been rehydrating and was feeling 30% better but still; everything sucked and i was really nauseated. I took 1 Prozac and after 2 hours i felt 80% better. :!: I event worked the next day :o but had to stick to the regimen i was on. This is now 4 days later and I just fell worn out. I cant believe taking 1 Prozac worked but it reallllllly did.
:arrow: Combo of 2 Fenegren and 1 Ambien: The only way i could sleep at night; also the fenegren helps nausea, vomiting and diarrhea

What didnt help or event hurt :evil:
:arrow: Dairy: Increased nausea, stomach ache, congestion
:?: Benedryl: Really didnt seem to do anything
:arrow: Sweets: obviously there is a huge craving but when i ate them after i felt worse
:arrow: Caffeine: Just made all the brain symptoms more amplified and didn't help my tiredness

#9 survivormom

survivormom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    Been on AD my whole life and suicidal/manic the whole time. want to get off

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:28 PM

This might seem really lame, but I bought Jillian Michaels book Mastering Your Metabolism. yes, that Jillian from the biggest loser tv show. she talks about removing all preservatives, chemicals etc and gives you a relatively easy way to do it. key to her program is to remove anything that has "anti" in it: anti depressants, antacids, etc. she says that when the folks come on the tv show, almost all of them are on anti medicines--anti high blood pressure, anxiety, depressants, etc, and by the time they leave the show they ALL have cut out the ALL of the drugs they are taking.

so a good supplement, especially an Omega 3 and B-12, are important and worth spending your money on. but you can treat your depression with regular food. she also tells you what to spend your money on as far as "organic" and "natural" foods. try it out or check it out at the library.

#10 mathwingnnut

mathwingnnut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am in the process of going off Cymbalta cold turkey. I am looking for others to talk to who understand what I am going through.

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for all the great info here! I'll try some things out.

And I'll post if I come across something that is helpful also!

B

#11 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:15 PM

What do you mean Harmony?

#12 awake

awake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    Stopped taking cymbalta cold turkey 5 days ago

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:31 AM

What didnt help or event hurt :evil:
:arrow: Dairy: Increased nausea, stomach ache, congestion
:?: Benedryl: Really didnt seem to do anything
:arrow: Sweets: obviously there is a huge craving but when i ate them after i felt worse
:arrow: Caffeine: Just made all the brain symptoms more amplified and didn't help my tiredness
[/quote]

I have the same issue with sweets. I'm craving them, then if I eat them I feel awful. What is that about?

#13 Seelenreisende

Seelenreisende

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:04 AM

Hey,

i'm on day 5 coming off cymbalta and i literally feel
like a drug addict coming off his/her favourite happy-kick-pill.

i am very lucky that i've had the nausea symptoms when went down from
90mg a day to 60mg so for now (and hopefully the whole withdrawal) i'm
"only" experiencing all other symptoms; brain zaps, dizzyness, mindfog,
headaches, hypersensitivity, incredible nervousness, sleep doesn not come
cos sleep does not will it, headaches, diarreah, ... .

I appreciate this forum so much and i will stick to (most of) what rebeccaf508
wrote.

Last night a I had a major realisation, the first time that day I was capable of
thinking/feeling one clear thought/emotion.

And it came to me that this withdrawal is so throwing me back to the basics, making
it absolutely impossible to deny what my body, mind and intuition is telling me.
I noticed how easily I ignored what I really needed when I was on Cymbalta, feeling
rather alright again after being so damn low being depressed. So again, i would push my
limits, again waste more energy on things that require more energy than truly comes
from within myself.
Again trying to function within a society that is so very very ill-healthed.
- Really, how stupid am I? -

This withdrawal has thrown me back to the ground, my face is covered in dirt again,
my hands with (nearly) nothing to clinch to.

One more time my nose is being pushed into the shit I've been doing to myself before I
started coming off.
I don't know how many more chances I will get untill the fragile system of believes, hopes
and aims within me will collapse. This might be my last warning to myself.
And I will not ignore what every part of me is whispering this to me, a whisper that gets
so loud it's like a quiet soundless scream.

Please people, fellow sufferer. Don't try to be part of a society that is killing our hope
and believe, our intuition, our ecosystem and the pure beauty of being alive.

#14 scarbro222

scarbro222

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • why_joining:
    going off cymbalta

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:33 AM

sports drinks a MUST!

#15 abraham

abraham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:20 PM

hello
if you dont want to take supplements then eat healthy and big.eat lots of egg work hard and train hard........do exercise daily and properly...........
nice post thanks for sharing!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users