8 replies to this topic

#1 dizzy

dizzy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

Hi,
I did miss two days during the first week of detox. I couldn't eat and felt so dizzy I was afraid to drive. Luckily, I have PTO to use or I'm not sure what I'd do.

#2 ariel08

ariel08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

I had to take the day off work today, because I am totally nonfunctional.

I work out of the house, so normally, if I don't feel all that great, I can fudge a bit and spread out the 8 hours.

But yeah.... trying to work today would be unfair to my boss.

So here I sit, looking for Cymbalta stuff.

And here I am..... (crawling off to make an intro post)

Thank you for having this forum.. i don't feel so crazy... even if there's not many people in here, at least everybody UNDERSTANDS... and I just need someplace to vent.

#3 tired08

tired08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:44 PM

I also am glad to have a place to go where everyone understands what you are going through. It is so hard to explain to loved ones. As far as work, i only work part time 5 to 6 hours a day 3 days a week and I am unable to do that. I can't do anything. It's all I can do to drive to pick up my children from school and have had to call in help to do that. I am on day 5 with no cymbalta and day 3 of beginning lyrica for my fibromyalga and I feel horrible. The dizziness and brain zaps are the worst. I pray that somehow the word will get out about the awful withdrawal effects of this drug. Prior to beginning the withdrawal process I was talking with a friend who lost his wife(my best friend) a year ago and telling him that maybe he should talk with his doctor about an anti-depressant because he his having such a horrible time dealing with his lost. I called him today and told him to just suck it up and rely on his faith in God because having to get off of this type of drug is not worth it. I have learned that we must be very proactive in our healthcare and just don't assu me because the doctors prescribes something that it is right for you. Alot of times they have no experience with the drugs they are prescribing they are just pushing what the rx reps give them. I pray that all of us going through this will be victorious in our struggle.

#4 LowMo

LowMo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:20 PM

I am a high school English teacher who has already missed almost two weeks of teaching this year because of my depression. so when I decided to go off of the cymbalta I vowed I would not miss any work. My final jump from 30 to 0 took place on a Friday. That day was ok, but by the time I got home that night I was having the brain zaps. By the next day I was incredibly, intestinally sick. It was like the flu, migraines, and little people inside of me stabbing my insides.
I stayed in bed the whole weekend and we only had a haf-day that monday. Fortuately, being in Michigan, the weather this month has been anything but predictable, and I had two snow days that week, both of which I spent the whole day in bed.
The days I did teach, I barley made it through. My brain was fried, I had to run to the bathroom multiple times, and my mind blanked out on more than one occasion. So to answer your question, no, when coming off the cymbaltal I did not miss work, but I definitely should have.

While I was taking 120mg. That is another story.

#5 tuke

tuke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:18 PM

LowMo: Finally! Another teacher, and I'm in Michigan too. Little wonder we needed Cymbalta in the first place with winters like these.

Anyway, I'm on day 5 of no Cymbalta, and scared. We just had a long weekend of winter break, and I'm back to teaching tomorrow. Several things have me scared:
1. Getting up
2. Getting dressed and presentable
3. Getting organized
4. The mild dizziness on and off through the day
5. Patience with the kids-I'm real irritable (see "Anger Beyond Belief")
6. Urgent bathroom trips
7. Crying (usually later in the day)
8. nausea

I've missed so much work lately, I hate to miss unless I really have to. I'm so scared I'll make a fool of myself. Teaching elementary special ed for 17 years is partly what led to my need of this drug, frankly. It helped my patience. NOW.....God help us all!!!

The thought of leaving sub plans means actually having to be organized more than ever, earlier than ever, and that sounds worse than just going in and muddling through. Now I'm REALLY depressed...........

#6 edawg

edawg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:27 PM

I've wanted to miss work. Unfortunately I started weaning off of Cymbalta on the 4th day of a brand new job. The weekend was so -so. Today, I just completed day 7 of new job, and it's been a huge challenge to try to learn a brand new job, which involve configuring online software, going through cymbalta withdrawal. I have informed my new employer about my situation and its been ok. Sunday and today were my best days so far, but they still weren't great. Today the zap sounds in my head were way more frequent, however the zaps and the "the elevator just dropped 5 floors real fast" feeling that accompanies that zaps weren't as severe. So more frequent, but milder. I guess that's improvement.

I just feel like I'm in a fog and in slow motion still. It's an uncomfortable feeling to say the least. I have the words in my head, but there's a 2-3 second delay in getting those words out of my mouth. I sound drunk. The insomnia is still pretty bad. I've been drinking a lot of water and taking melatonin at night and last night I had a pretty good night's sleep relatively speaking. I feel tired now and it's not even 11:30 EST and that's pretty good. I cut way way down on caffeine the last 2 days and that seems to help the nausea I'd been feeling.

I want to call into work, but considering that I'm only in the 2n week of a new job, I feel like I can't. It sucks.

#7 tuke

tuke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:55 AM

Well this morning I did get up and I'm here at work, but it wasn't good. It took me 20 minutes loner than usual. I used to do everything efficiently, on auto-pilot, but today I have to think about every step of everything. And my hands aren't working normally, so I make messes.

When will I be normal??????

#8 LowMo

LowMo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:44 AM

Well this morning I did get up and I'm here at work, but it wasn't good. It took me 20 minutes loner than usual. I used to do everything efficiently, on auto-pilot, but today I have to think about every step of everything. And my hands aren't working normally, so I make messes.

When will I be normal??????

What is normal Tuke?

Well- I am on Day 32.

Don't worry- I hope to shed a little bit of hope here.
A week ago I finally went to a doctor for my physical withdrawals. My headaches had gotten to be unbearable and my intestines were not allowing me to sustain any sort of food or nourishment. By the end of the day my muscles, and especially my back muscles, were very sore.

The doctor did blood work, and other exams and told me that it couldn't be the withdrawals lasting this long. After leaving very disappointed I saw my psychiatrist, whom I do not trust, but was going to because he was someone to fill my perscriptions.

He too told me that he thought it could not still be the withdrawals. Then he turned and looked at me and said "Well, is there anything else you can think of that you would like to try?" After which he took out a big red book and started flipping through and asking me what other meds I had tried. Granted this guy has been my "doctor" for quite some time.
This is kind of what my psychiatric experiences have looked like over the past few years.

Anyway, reluctantly I took a presription for valium, and found that i if I take 2.5 mg (very small dose) in the morning, my headaches are bearable, and I can keep food down. Also, my back doesn't hurt by the end of the day and I don't want to become violent towards anyone.

Here is a rundown of my meds as of today (I still think my goal is xero meds, but when I find a doctor I trust, I will decide)

6mg EmSam patch (24hrs.
Multi-vitamin
2.5 mg valium as needed
Omega 3- 1000 mg in the morning
Ambien- 10 mg night

I know some of you may not agree with the ambien, but TRUST ME we all need sleep right now. Sleep can make a huge difference on your physically and mental well being.

Look- Ican say for the first time in months that I feel human again. Not everything is gone, but my overall mood, and physical symptoms are a ton better. I no longer have brain zaps, no fever, no nausea, my appetite is back (not that this is alwaus a good thing) and I am keeping foods in me! I am able to be alone now and not worry about what I might do.

I really think I am getting there!

#9 tuke

tuke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:44 AM

I did just discover that Dannon Active with the special bacteria has helped me with the bathroom problem. It's just 2-3 times a day instead of every couple hours. Just an idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users