#31 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:22 PM

Hi Racefan,
I had a procedure done in August, and I was on an off the wall dose of hormones for a month prior to the procedure. Anxiety attacks became unbearable, so I was put on Xanax, Welbutin, Lexapro, Abilify and then the Cymbalta. I had only been on the Cymbalta for a week or 2 before they had to let me go. Too much missed work, too much getting up and walking out, too much, too much, too much. I completety understood where they were coming from.

That is cool you have so much of the sheet metal from one of the cars!!! I do not hate you for pulling for the Bush brothers, I just rolled my eyes once. :roll: ;)

I have not been on a shopping frenzy nor have I had the desire....but I have never liked shopping and I AM WOMAN!!!! But I hate shopping...always have. Maybe someone else will come along that can relate to that. Good luck with this journey!!!

#32 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:38 PM

If I weren't self-employed, I would be unemployed. Being self-employed, thank God I don't have to show up to work at the same time each day. I wouldn't make it.
Today is day 1 with no nausea!! Hopefully tomorrow will be day 2, and so on.
Has anyone else gone through the shopping frenzy, or is that just "normal" bipolar and not anything to do with Cymbalta withdrawal? I do take 300 mgs of Wellbutrin. I also take Ambien, so I haven't had any sleepless-night problems that others have complained about.
So nice to know I'm not alone!

I am self employed as well - good thing I could not fire myself, even though I deserved it. But not working much for over 6 weeks really hurt my wallet and I am glad that part is over now.

Not that I love shopping, but on Cymbalta, I would order tons of stuff from the internet and not worry about paying for it. Then I would keep it in the boxes and send it back because I had to pay for it. Was weird. Now that I am off, I am just trying to make sure that I get everything back on track from what I now call Cymbalta Withdrawal Empty Wallet Syndrome. Sucks, but things are looking up and I have enough work to keep me going until my busy period.

You know, I intentionally timed by withdrawal from Cymbalta at a time when I would not be really busy, thinking the worst it could be was a week or so.

I only watch the races when my husband does, Jimmie Johnson is the one he roots for. Personally I like the Labonte brothers, not for their driving skills, but I like the fact they seem like real people. Their wives don't look like dolls, they look like normal down to earth people with extraordinary jobs.

#33 racefan

racefan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:45 PM

That's the same thing I have done with shopping. Order and order, return and return. Buyer's remorse, I guess. Once I got it, I didn't want it. Then I'd watch QVC, HSN and order more. It was like a feeding frenzy. I swear it was the Cymbalta!

My poor husband! I blamed him for not stopping me. Poor guy. He's so patient with all the phases I go through.

:?

#34 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:50 PM

That's the same thing I have done with shopping. Order and order, return and return. Buyer's remorse, I guess. Once I got it, I didn't want it. Then I'd watch QVC, HSN and order more. It was like a feeding frenzy. I swear it was the Cymbalta!

My poor husband! I blamed him for not stopping me. Poor guy. He's so patient with all the phases I go through.

:?

Honestly, I think it was the Cymbalta not caring thing that made me shop til I dropped too. Because I grew up dirt poor, left home when I was 17 and had years where all of my work clothes were from Goodwill and consignment stores! I have to watch every penny being self employed and am usually very conservative. My husband freaked when I told him what I had on my credit card bill was, but hey, I did tell him the truth. I returned almost everything, except for the fabulous shoes. Zappos.com - free overnight shipping!

Sorry Mary in Denver, I took this topic way far off base.

So I think I am 117 days off Cymbalta and 31 antidepressant free now. Back to topic.

#35 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:50 PM

Hi Racefan! Hello Lori! Pain pills finally kicking in. Let's see now, I'm on day, uhm, what day is it anyway? Just kidding, it's April fool's day and I was one of the fools to trust a doc. :evil: Day 26! Almost a month now cold turkey. And so far, as Lori knows, the worst. No mental issues since coming off, but, again as Lori and everyone else pretty much knows, a lot of pain-everywhere.

Anyway, I too got fired from my job due to many missed days and my attitude, oh and I had lost my "bubbly personality". What a crock of ****. Applied for unemployment even though I had been fired, and to my surprise, the unemployment found my employer to be at fault! I was sooooooo happy. So between the unemp. benie's and help from family I've been able to manage not working. As far as unemp. peep's are concerned I am working hard at finding a job-NOT. I payed into it, and I'm taking every penny back. So good to go until benefits run out. But I've only been getting them since 1st of March. I'm thankful that I too have this time to heal.

I guess I need to start watching NASCAR so I know who the heck you all are talking about. The ex-hubby was into Formula racing so that is all I know about racing of any kind except for Dannica Patrick. YOU GO GIRL!

Crud, forgot what my other comment was going to be. Hmmm. Thinking. :shock:
Oh, I know, and again Lori knows, I went on a big spending spree at Lane Bryant since I got to big to fit into last summers cloths. From a nice size 9 in misses, to a 14 in womens! But you know what? I don't care. My new cloths make me look fabulous. ;)
Oh and bought a new washer last week, got it today, and as soon as I put first load of cloths in dryer, my old dryer broke. So quess what else? I went and bought the matching dryer to the new washer! Hurah! (came into some $).

I'm rambling. Pain pills do that to me.......

TA TA for now.

Mary in always beautiful Denver

#36 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:01 PM

Mary - sorry that you are in pain today but glad that you were able to obtain financial assistance to help you get through this.

Enjoy your new clothes - feeling fabulous on the outside can only help you feel better on the inside. And now you have a new washer to keep them clean!
Stay strong.

#37 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:53 PM

Hi, Lori.
Did you lose your job because of side effects of meds or withdrawal symptoms? If I weren't self-employed, I would be unemployed. Being self-employed, thank God I don't have to show up to work at the same time each day. I wouldn't make it.

No. 16, yes, I'm hoping he'll win, too. ;) We'll cross our fingers! I have No. 16 race-used sheetmetal on my wall ... 4 BIG pieces of it. Probably 1/4 to 1/3 of a car. Don't hate me when I say I'm a Busch Brothers fan. It started with Roush, so I like all the Roush guys (and former Roush guys).

Today is day 1 with no nausea!! Hopefully tomorrow will be day 2, and so on.

Has anyone else gone through the shopping frenzy, or is that just "normal" bipolar and not anything to do with Cymbalta withdrawal? I do take 300 mgs of Wellbutrin. I also take Ambien, so I haven't had any sleepless-night problems that others have complained about.

So nice to know I'm not alone!

OH MY!!! I was just saying to my sister yesterday that I haven't bought anything off of Ebay since I quit Cymbalta! I wracked up a nice little 165 score there in a very short period of time. Let's just say I own many, many vintage prints, and several purses that I will never carry! I thought it was just me, but I was an obsessed shopping fool!

#38 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:01 PM

OH MY!!! I was just saying to my sister yesterday that I haven't bought anything off of Ebay since I quit Cymbalta! I wracked up a nice little 165 score there in a very short period of time. Let's just say I own many, many vintage prints, and several purses that I will never carry! I thought it was just me, but I was an obsessed shopping fool!

My motto is if you can buy it on Ebay, you can sell it on ebay too. Do not leave fabulous handbags in your closet, sell them to other people that don't need them ;) :D

#39 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:08 PM

Ummm....we need to start a NASCAR topic....hey it keeps the withdrawals to a minimum....LOL I just have to say, I am not a fan of Jimmie Johnson. My boyfriend is devoted to Bobby Labonte. Always has been. Sorry Mary, I do have to say this then we will have to go to the NASCAR message board some place else....LOL My grandson could tell you every driver, their number, and their sponser. He would know the logo he saw on their car. He would refer to Lowes as the Jimmie Johnson store, Napa, would be the Michael Waltrip store, he knew this at 3 1/2. NOW at age 6 he also knows who is on whose team and who owns them. He literally blows my mind. He has his own mind, his dad pulls for Jr, he pulls for Tony, his dad pulls for UNC, he pulls for NC State. Dang it, I even got off the topic I started. ANYWAY, my grandson came over one day last year and plainly told me that my boyfriend was too young to be his grandpa, that my boyfriend had brown hair, and he thought I should be with a man with a white beard.....LOL Well, we had a terrifc laugh over that one, the next day, we were having a cook out at my parents and my grandson went up to my boyfriend and said "Ok, if you wear a Tony Stewart cap, I will let you be my grandpa." So my boyfriend went out and bought one...LOL so now he pulls for Tony Stewart. Ok....is everyone going to watch Biffle win this weekend? ;)
I am on day 28....oh wow, almost a month! I am doing pretty good, have PMS working on me right now, I am still easily aggitated, I get anxious but nothing that washing dishes, vaccuming or folding laundry cant cure. My memory/confussion seems to be getting better but not back to normal yet. I thank God for everyone in my life, and I hope everyone of you have a beautiful Mother's Day, including Greybeard and Jeff. Has anyone heard from Jeff lately? Just kind of worried about him.

#40 racefan

racefan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:35 PM

I don't think I am having as many problems as some others here are having/have had. I just feel foggy and nauseated. I was taking 90 mgs at bedtime and did so for a couple of yrs for back muscle pain. I really don't think it worked for the pain. I honestly couldn't tell what was working for what between the Wellbutrin, Cymbalta ... and for a while Lamictal. Now, that is a nightmare drug. For a yr I didn't realize it was affecting me so badly. I couldn't think straight, couldn't do my job. It was worse than Cymbalta withdrawal.

Maybe Greybeard will start a nascar topic for us so we don't clutter up the withdrawal topics. They are hard enough to sift through with a cloudy head.

Go Biff!

#41 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:27 PM

Go to the board index, and look under "Let's talk about something else" I started a thread there for you. :mrgreen:

#42 samantha

samantha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:20 PM

Apparently I'm having a problem with forgetfulness also, I went to someone's office yesterday and couldn't remember why I was there.... and now I have been reading this for a few minutes and someone asked about weight gain and I don't remember who.... oh well. I have gained about 20 lbs over the past year and half. I just had to go buy size 12 swimsuits and dresses for a trip to Mexico in four days (yeah ;) ) but the shopping sucked and then I didn't eat anything until my boyfriend made dinner even though the nausea is worse when my tummy is empty. I'm having the worst problem with nausea and brain zaps (on day five completely Cymbalta free, almost three weeks since I started the taper down). I'm managing to work ok, better at home where there are no little noises to drive me batty. Luckily I am a lawyer which means I have a little more control of my life then back when I was an administrative assistant, I show up when I want and leave when I want and do my work from whereever. I'm a tax attorney so I never go to court and I've only met one client in person in the last two years), my work phone voicemails go to my blackberry and my email so I can return calls immediately, even from bed, so I haven't managed to get myself fired yet.

#43 samantha

samantha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:24 PM

Racefan I was taking Cymbalta also for pain rather than anything else. It didn't really help. Ambien helps with sleeping better than Cymbalta. Don't know what your particular medical situation is but I have found that exercise and yoga help my back pain more than any drugs ever did, that and hot baths. I also see a massage therapist once a week, my insurance even pays for it if I go to the person at the Chiropractors office.

#44 Mikec

Mikec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:51 PM

This Poll site is really valuable and will be more so as more people add to it. I am 41 days without Cymbalta. Had cut from 60 mg to 30 mg about 2 weeks before that. Right now I have a sinus infection and cough, so I am battling that too at the moment. I am fatigued, have body pain and lots of mood swing problems. Want to cry, feel like my life has been a waste, and that there isn't much hope for the future. Kind of a "What's the use" attitude. I am very sensitive to sounds, and it is hard to converse with others, particularly my wife. It isn't easy to type out this comment. My raging anger has been a lot better the last couple of days, but I am totally frustrated with my computers and the Internet, etc. It seems I spend more time trying to fix the system than actually using it. My impulse is to quit the Internet entirely, but I'm still sane enough to know that I need to have it for business and personally, for pleasure.

My Dr. (psychiatrist) says that my withdral should have been complete in about 2 weeks and tells me that my present condition and feelings are simply a return of my depression, etc. that I was being treated for with the Cymbalta. Funny, I never was this bad before Cymbalta. He dismisses the people and comments on this site as just a bunch of angry people looking for someone to blame. If I really believed him, I would probably end it all. My hope is that this will all slowly get better, and that in about 60-90 days off the med, I will be a fairly normal guy once again.

I haven't really found anything that helps. Benzadryl dosen't seem to agree with me. I do use meditation tapes and some beta brain waive tapes to help me meditate and relax or go to sleep. A good sleep seems to be the best medicine.

Anyhow, keep those comments coming. It would be particularly helpful to hear from people who have actually worked their way totally through all this to some degree of sanity and wellness.

God Bless, Mike C

#45 racefan

racefan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:58 PM

Thank you!!!!!!!
Very sweet!

Go to the board index, and look under "Let's talk about something else" I started a thread there for you. :mrgreen:

#46 racefan

racefan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:05 PM

This Poll site is really valuable and will be more so as more people add to it. I am 41 days without Cymbalta. Had cut from 60 mg to 30 mg about 2 weeks before that. Right now I have a sinus infection and cough, so I am battling that too at the moment. I am fatigued, have body pain and lots of mood swing problems. Want to cry, feel like my life has been a waste, and that there isn't much hope for the future. Kind of a "What's the use" attitude. I am very sensitive to sounds, and it is hard to converse with others, particularly my wife. It isn't easy to type out this comment. My raging anger has been a lot better the last couple of days, but I am totally frustrated with my computers and the Internet, etc. It seems I spend more time trying to fix the system than actually using it. My impulse is to quit the Internet entirely, but I'm still sane enough to know that I need to have it for business and personally, for pleasure.

My Dr. (psychiatrist) says that my withdral should have been complete in about 2 weeks and tells me that my present condition and feelings are simply a return of my depression, etc. that I was being treated for with the Cymbalta. Funny, I never was this bad before Cymbalta. He dismisses the people and comments on this site as just a bunch of angry people looking for someone to blame. If I really believed him, I would probably end it all. My hope is that this will all slowly get better, and that in about 60-90 days off the med, I will be a fairly normal guy once again.

I haven't really found anything that helps. Benzadryl dosen't seem to agree with me. I do use meditation tapes and some beta brain waive tapes to help me meditate and relax or go to sleep. A good sleep seems to be the best medicine.

Anyhow, keep those comments coming. It would be particularly helpful to hear from people who have actually worked their way totally through all this to some degree of sanity and wellness.

God Bless, Mike C

Mikec, God bless you -- and he has because you are here to share with us. Open your front door and walk outside. Look up. You are here for a reason. you might not know what that reason is yet. Who knows, it could be to help someone reading your posts.

Don't ever give up. Your brain chemistry is changing. The sinus infection is enough to make you feel terrible all by itself. Give yourself a break. I have had sinus infections every year for a long time. Let your body rest!

Check in with us regularly. You're not alone! :D

#47 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:27 PM

Your doctor went to the same school as my old doctor. Except for mine kept telling me that what I felt did not exist, there was no withdrawal from Cymbalta, I was the only person who felt bad coming off of it, this list goes on. Mike, I feel for you, because my old shrink did the same thing to me.

Am I angry that my old doc yanked me off cold turkey, and then told me that it was my "depression" returning? Well, yeah! And, the way I was during withdrawal was NOTHING like the way I was before Cymbalta, which I took for situational depression and had worked through those issues, it was not rebound depression, it was bad withdrawal having been dropped from 30 mg to nothing. So you can tell your old doctor that we are a little angry, some of us lost a substantial amount of income and/or their jobs, time to live life as a human being, made our families worry about our health, felt wretched for weeks on end, the list goes on. But anger changes into healing, so that is what most of us are about here, trying to find healthy constructive ways to heal ourselves so that we can function in the world.

I am at I think 118 days off of Cymbalta. I made it 45 days of cold turkey and found another doctor who put me on Celexa and had me wean properly for about 5 weeks. Something happened to my brains about a week into the Celexa, I felt my brains "turn back on" and I knew I was going to make it. This happened as I was dropping the dose of Celexa, not increasing it.

31 days with no antidepressants, so I think now I qualify as somebody who is through this, and that nasty "return" of the old depression - that just was not true. I feel really healthy, emotionally, physically and overall happy that I am through this. No raging anger combined with crying for days. Just nice and even with highs and lows. I wish that I could have done it without resorting to taking another drug, by my life was in turmoil and I am self employed and the withdrawal rendered me pretty much to a non-functioning ball of confusion - so I commend you on getting this far, sorry that you are experiencing this. And, we need you here on this planet - it does get better so hang in there and come here and be angry, happy, sad, confused, whatever you feel, is what you feel! My husband had a hard time watching me go through this, he kept telling me to "snap out of it" so I had to keep bunches of what I went through to myself, just to keep what little sanity I had left.

I am a graphic artist, with one of those huge large format printers that has been on the blink for five days, and this is not sending me into a rage, I am patiently wasting hours of my time with diagnostics and tech chat online and ordering expensive parts that "might fix" the problem :D . And happy that it is not making me freak out or cry, just a problem that will be fixed eventually. So I am with you on the computer issues. And sorry this ended up being sort of a repeat of your story, but I still am amazed that doctors who don't take this themselves can think that we are just angry people complaining, we are humans who actually took the drug and withdrew/and are withdrawing from it. Be well!

#48 Mikec

Mikec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:29 PM

Thanks Racefan and sarahJ for your comments and support!
That is really helpful. I plan to keep coming back here and hope to be able to report progress
in the hope that my progress will give hope to others.
Mike C

#49 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:51 PM

LOL Thanks Schmb01, now thats a friend. :D

#50 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:27 PM

Mike, I'm coming up on 70 days and can say the worst is over. I was taking Cymbalta for mild depression and pain for a neurological disease. It never helped the pain, and I actually became more depressed while taking it. I too felt worse after Cymbalta than before.

Your doctor is right that we are some angry people, we are angry that we were not given safe options for coming off of this, angry that doctors like yours dismiss how we are feeling and want us to "up the dose" to feel better, and angry that we lost a chunk of our lives while taking and withdrawing from this. I'd say those are things we have a right to be angry about. But like Sarah said, we are now here to find ways to heal ourselves, and support others in the process.

It will take some time, but you will get better, and you will one day look back and see how far you've come, and how much you have helped others by sharing your story and offering support.

My opinion, fire your doctor and find one with compassion. Sarah did, and it was the best thing she ever did. There ARE doctors out there who still remember that they are here to help people, not make them feel like lab rats without brains.

#51 judysworld

judysworld

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:02 AM

Mornin' all -

I'm at day 15 now, and the dizziness is subsiding a bit...I don't feel like I need to hang onto something just to navigate a room. Also on the plus side is that the gastro symptoms have calmed down considerably. I had no idea how much I'd missed just being able to eat a meal and have it stay in me longer than 20 minutes. And I'd been going through that for 5 months. It's a great weight-loss program, but what a crappy way to do it (no pun intended).

One of the common threads I'm reading here is that doctors are dismissive in dealing with our withdrawal issues. My feeling is that maybe they're so overbooked that they don't take time to research anything before prescribing these so-called miracle drugs. And when you address these issues with them, they're irritated that you're interrupting their 6-patients-an-hour schedule. My neurologist actually was fairly compassionate about it....he didn't DO anything about it, but he sure felt bad (yeah, like WE don't???)

One useful thing I've learned throughout this entire process is that before I fill a prescription for anything new that a doctor prescribes for me, I'm going to research, research, research, because I certainly can't count on the medical community to do their homework first. I think it's a travesty to pay a large amount of money and put your health in their hands, only to be led down a thorny path and then they look at you like you're nuts.

Im grateful to you all for your comments and sharing your symptoms, because it really did make me feel better knowing that I'm not alone in this :D

#52 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:13 PM

Hi Judysworld. Somewhere I posted on here that from now on I research anything and everything that goes in my body from here on out. Last week Doc prescribed Celebrex for my never ending joint pain. It has a lot of dangers with it mainly having to do with heart problems (such as bypass surgery and things like that). Graybeard found me some great info on it. So based off of that I knew my heart was strong and healthy, but was still hesitant. I took the prescription to the pharmacy and before I got it filled I talked to the pharmasist about it. She went on her computer and we went over the heart stuff, then she asked if I had ever had a pulminary embolism, and I told her I had about 6 or 7 years ago that almost killed me. She said YOU CAN NOT TAKE THIS! She then said I need to talk to doc about it. Which I will do today because doc knows about the embolism. So I am somewhat ticked off.

I do agree with you to a point about docs having so many patients that they rush you through and don't take there time. But that is not a good excuse for them to do so much of what they do. I "fired" old doc right after going cold turkey. Had been to him for 11 years. I got tired of him spending maybe 5 minutes with me then off to the next patient. He heard maybe half of what I would be telling him before he was off to the cabinet where samples are kept, and running back with a handfull of samples and tossing them at me and saying, here give this a try. It might help. New doc takes her time, listens, gives her opinion, lets me give mine and then we come to a meeting of the minds (yes, my mind is back). Since she doesn't know me that well yet, she simply may have forgotten about the embolism or she truly did not realize that was an issue with Celebrex. But she, along with all other docs, need to make sure BEFORE hand what the major issues are with the meds they prescribe. But having to many patients is not a reason nor an excuse to play ginny pig with us.

Anyway, day 28. Doing pretty good, but have to do the pain pills which I don't want to, but will if it helps. If I can have a somewhat productive day then I'll take them. Just don't want to turn into a pain pill junky. Oh, had a new issue crop up last night. Electrical shock type feelings in left foot including 3 toes about every 2 minutes. OUCH! Nerve problems I'm guessing.

TA-TA for now!! :D

#53 judysworld

judysworld

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:43 PM

Hi mkhackler -

It's incredible what you find out talking to pharmacists. Wow, that Celebrex thing is scary, isn't it? You're fortunate you have a good pharmacist!

When I had my cervical fusion, they prescribed Tylenol III (with codeine of course). I am deathly allergic to codeine, and once I pointed it out to the nurse at the hospital while I was being discharged, I thought she was having a heart attack. It's actually pretty cool listening to a nurse chew out a doctor in the hallway :D

#54 samantha

samantha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:29 PM

They gave me Celebrex when I was really young, maybe 19 or 20, I think it had just it the market (you know how much fun they think it is to prescribe things that are new) and it ate a hole in my stomach lining. I had to take stomach ulcer medicine for over a year to heal it and the kicker is that Celebrex didn't help with the pain.

#55 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:22 PM

29 looooonnnnngggggg days! And I'm still here! Last 2 days doing very well (along with great sleeping last 3 nights! No weird dreams at all, just a nice comfortable sleep. Woke up this morning, even before coffee or a cig and before pain pill, was able to get out of bed easily, no major stiffness in joints, no major pain in muscles, no headache, a little bit of a stiff neck, but that is it folks! I know it is because of the percocet I am now taking @ 3 a day, but it is help move around more easily and function almost normally then I am all for it.

Now here is my issue with all of this and doctors. You know I started seeing a new doc who prescibed the percocet (only 20) but she is very anti-narcotic medicine. Thinks I will get addicted to them or any other pain med like that. So she also gives me a prescrition of Celebrex. Talked to pharmasist about it of course after I read about issues with it. Pharmasist said I can not take it due to blood clot several years ago. So I call doc last night and she calls in something else-can't even remember name of it-and quess what? Can't take it. Again because of the clot, the fact there is serious heart related issues in my immediate family, the fact I have history of stomach problems, on and on and on and on. So she won't let me take something that I may or maynot become addicted to, but she is willing to put me on something that may or may not kill me or cause serious complications! What is up with this?

So, what do all of you think? New doctor again? Obviously the ones I have had in the last 10-1/2 years (2 of them) are totally inept idiots. I only have enough pain killer to get to Friday. What the heck do I do? Seek out a pain specialist? Help please.......

#56 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:03 PM

I made an appointment with a pain specialist for next monday. Let's all keep our fingers crossed (ok, can't cross mine-it hurts) and same some prayers that this will work.

#57 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:20 PM

Just thought I would post to inform anyone reading, I am 41 days Cymbalta free, I still have my sluggish days....but hey, I am 45 and my body has been through a nightmare, so has my mind and emotions, so I think its safe to say, its normal. However, I am taking a natural supplement that seems to be helping me alot.....does this mean I am cheating? :? I feel good again, I sing again, I laugh and smile when I dont TRY TO. So over all, I am doing pretty good.

#58 dithered

dithered

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:46 PM

Well, I tapered off for about a month and now it's 12 days with no cymbalta.

Things are much better than they were even five days ago. The overall dizziness/nausea has dropped to maybe 10% of what it was. Brain zaps are smaller and less disturbing. I'm still too scatterbrained and unproductive, but it's getting better. I've got to work through this long weekend to try to disguise my unproductivity from my employer. I've considered confessing what I've been going through for the past 7 weeks, but I think it is probably best to keep it to myself. But I might be forced to. Accepting this job with a company that doesn't offer health insurance was a factor in my decision to go off the cymbalta now, although it was already clear to me that the drug was messing up my life pretty badly.

I'm much more emotional, more than ever in my 50 years. Some of the posts on this board have brought me to tears. I've teared up over politics and cat meows. A couple days ago, I got behind a driver in a parking lot who came to a full stop before each of about a half dozen speed bumps and then crawled over them at the slowest possible speed, as if he was balancing a full cup of hot coffee on his head. My blood boiled and I tried to swing around him on a speed bump. You lose traction that way, it happens. Fortunately I work at home and don't have to drive too much. Sadness and rage have never been issues for me before.

Anyway, I feel confident that I will be able to say I beat it before too long.

#59 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:15 PM

've got to work through this long weekend to try to disguise my unproductivity from my employer. I've considered confessing what I've been going through for the past 7 weeks, but I think it is probably best to keep it to myself.
Anyway, I feel confident that I will be able to say I beat it before too long.

Glad you are feeling better. Unless you have really screwed up something, my recommendation is to keep it to yourself and do not involve your employer. Your body is your own business and what you took in the past is also your business as well. No need to raise eyebrows unless absolutely necessary. You have made it through the worst part. You will be consistently more productive in the near future, focus on that and know that you will succeed in all of this.
Best of luck to you, let us know how you are doing.

#60 zolot

zolot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:53 PM

Been on Cymbalta for a few years and I went from 30 to 60 to even 90 for a while and all it did was gave me headaches. Still, I stayed on it at 60 while trying other augmentation rx. I have never gotten much help from any antidepressants after years of trying many. I only remember Effexor making me this ill, trying to withdraw. And reading on the web that it could last for weeks put me in a panic. I cant take off work and I have too much I need to do. I am sick and tired of wasting my life being depressed, and now ill from ####ing drugs that never helped. It is insult to injury.

I read somewhere tonight that Prozac can help. Dr. Ivan Goldberg, I think. I had some 40 mgs in a drawer, so I took one. I have enough for a few weeks, then getting off of it is not as hard. It has a long half-life (stays in the body and gradually drains out) so you can stop more abruptly with few potential sde-effects. Unlike some others that can get you feeling sick if you just miss a dose. I am reading about some of you who are dividing Cymbalta capsules into smaller doses to make withdrawal more gradual and taking more time to ween off. I am angry that no doctors are saying that. And I am too impatient to try it that way. I can not stand being in this much pain and I never want to take another Cymbalta. As soon as I stepped it down from 60 to 30 I started getting ill. So, in my own brand of "logic" I decided to quit taking it since if I was going to feel awful, I'd like to get it over with as fast as possible.

I dont understand that claim they make about Cymbalta helping with pain. I have chronic pain and it never helped. And since trying to withdraw, pain is 10x worse.

I havent decided what my next choice will be. The patch is all the rage, but I already tried an MAOI about 5 years ago and I got gaunt and my hair fell out. I was on Ambien for a solid year+ while I took Parnate. Do the drugs help at all? Maybe a little, instead of suicidal depression, I have numbing dysthymia. Maybe it is time to just try living with it.

jz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users