91 replies to this topic

#61 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:27 AM

Zolot, I really think it best to stick with the slow withdrawal. But that is my opinion. With the state of mind I was in at first, I too, thought it too much to do, to pour alittle out each day. The way I did it, was to do 7 days at the time. Let me back up just a bit. I took 60mg capsules and emptied the capsules out alittle more each week. On Sunday, I would take 7 capsules, take them apart, fill up the short end, and discard the rest, and put them in a 7 day pill box. Each Sunday I would take 7 more pills and empty alittle more, once those 4 weeks were over, I stopped all together. I too wanted to just throw them all away, and go cold turkey to shorten the agony of the withdrawals, but I felt this was best for me. I wish you and dithered good luck with the withdrawals.

I still wake up feeling like doom is all around me and it takes about 15 minutes to an hour before that dreadful feeling goes away. Does anyone else experience that or is it just me? Of course it bothers me during the time, but I am also clear headed enough to know that it fades quickly, which helps. I hope you also know that what you are going through will fade too. My prayers and best wishes too all of you.

#62 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:39 AM

I read somewhere tonight that Prozac can help. Dr. Ivan Goldberg, I think. I had some 40 mgs in a drawer, so I took one. I have enough for a few weeks, then getting off of it is not as hard. It has a long half-life (stays in the body and gradually drains out) so you can stop more abruptly with few potential sde-effects. So, in my own brand of "logic" I decided to quit taking it since if I was going to feel awful, I'd like to get it over with as fast as possible.

I havent decided what my next choice will be. The patch is all the rage, but I already tried an MAOI about 5 years ago and I got gaunt and my hair fell out. I was on Ambien for a solid year+ while I took Parnate. Do the drugs help at all? Maybe a little, instead of suicidal depression, I have numbing dysthymia. Maybe it is time to just try living with it.

hello zolot - switching to Prozac is also recommended for stopping Effexor (the same class as Cymbalta, SNRI). If you google antidepressant withdrawal using Prozac, you will find other information stating that it works, from doctors, and actual users of the drug. Some recommend only taking one or two doses of Prozac. I hope that this works well for you. Many people who have come here to post had success with this method.

Do drugs work? For some people they do and are necessary and there should be no shame for a person who take them, it is just horrible how doctors minimize how people are feeling, tell them that what they feel does not exist, etc. For others, unless our behavior changes, our actions and reactions to life situations, those things come from inside of a person. Talk therapy, reading and researching, exercise, eating well are amazing mood stabilizers!

Good luck to you, let us all know what you decided to do.

#63 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:42 AM

I still wake up feeling like doom is all around me and it takes about 15 minutes to an hour before that dreadful feeling goes away. Does anyone else experience that or is it just me? Of course it bothers me during the time, but I am also clear headed enough to know that it fades quickly, which helps. I hope you also know that what you are going through will fade too. My prayers and best wishes too all of you.

Lori - I hope the "waiting for the shoe to drop" feeling leaves for you soon. After going through so much, of course, you will have moments when you wonder if it is all going to "unravel" again. I feel this way a "little" bit every day.

When that happens, just remind yourself that you deserve to feel better. You are strong and happy and you can see from your posts how far you have come. Hang in there.

#64 squarepeg27

squarepeg27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:37 AM

Hi Lori and everyone interested (seems there are many of us!),

Thanks for posting these questions as they're exactly what's on my mind as well. When might we feel normal again? Seeing Greybeard's "58 days" is excruciatingly frightening. It's almost too painful to hear. Despite all the information here, I'm not seeing anything that's enough to apply to my own situation which is:

I started taking the big C around September last year ('07) due to pain and OCD which came on after I had the other BIG C (i.e. cancer -- free since 5/06). I must admit, Cymbalta was brilliant for the OCD but it did nothing for the pain (seems to be universally true) and after gaining 20 lbs and checking the internet on that only to find it was very common (LOSS OF APPETITE? Give me a break). The plan was to go from my 90 mg dose (down from the 120 that my shrink had me on at one point -- he seemed to keep wanting to raise it!), to 60, wait two weeks and then go to 30, wait two weeks and then let it go. I lowered the first two times but then took a little longer to go from 30 to zero, and during that time, I was already feeling occasional "brain zaps" but had no idea what they were and even blamed them on various homeopathic hormones and supplements that my naturopath was giving me. She was so kind and patient, and though I told her I was sure it was due to what she gave me, she was the one to bring up the cymbalta possibility and send me some links. Once I stopped taking the new things she had given me (some H. estro cream for increasing sweats and flashes) and saw that my symptoms continued, I knew she was right and it must be the cymbalta.

I suppose it's important to say that I'm 47 and my cancer was ovarian and uterine soI had a complete hysterectomy and ooferectomy and am squarely in menopause. Though I've never taken hormone replacement thereapy, I've been using sublingual homeopathic drops to control sweats and at times they've been very much under control.

Back to the withdrawal... I'm heading into day 6 and have experienced brain fog, endless and frequent brain zaps, severe hot flashes and sweats -- right through the pj's during the night, I can't keep food in my body (I was unhappy about the weight gain but this isn't a very healthy diet!), I'm exhausted and just sad and scared. I cry at the silliest things == law and order, grey's anatomy (I'm working with the laptop at home for the past several days and can't imagine running around like I normally do in my life again). I'm really afraid I might fly off the handle or be mean to a loved one but so far it hasn't happened.

Meanwhile, I'm a single woman -- never married -- and at my age, it's a priority to meet my man, but in this condition and with the prospect of it lasting for several months... well, needless to say it's the stuff that depression is made of. Here it's Memorial day weekend and I have yet to do anything fun, though I'm hoping to be able to go to a festival tomorrow. Still, with the way I'm feeling, I have my doubts I'll be able to do that.

OK, I'm going on and on... thanks for reading.. Good luck to everyone and thanks for sharing! 'peg

#65 squarepeg27

squarepeg27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:47 AM

Oops -- forgot the most important thing (plus the fact that my brain just isn't working'!).. Last night I had a horrible nightmare that I was being attacked. I was trying to scream in my sleep and couldn't. When I woke up, I was in a pool of sweat and had to take my earplugs out (usually I can't sleep without them!) out of fear and finished the night clutching my cat. I was shivering and my heart was pounding. I'm not the best sleeper, but haven't experienced anything like this since I was a kid. I couldn't go to sleep for hours afterwards.

#66 squarepeg27

squarepeg27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:49 AM

Can we know what that supplement is?

#67 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:09 PM

Greybeard offers good sound advice. It really was the quiet, peaceful, mellow things that helped me, in addition to the supplements. I always go to sleep with TV on, because my ears ring not stop, but at the early stages of withdrawal, TV was invading my dreams, and I was having horrid nightmares. Any loud noises, or even stupid stressful situations on comedies would send me over the edge! Watching Seinfeld almost drove me insane!

I began listening to Celtic music to help me sleep, and also during the day. I watched a lot of public television during the day too, just to not have so much stimuation from other sources.

You do have to look for the "good" in a day, and it really sounds cliche,but it helped. When I would notice that what set me off one day no longer set me off today, I would feel a sense of victory, and a huge amount of relief. I really thought I was damaged beyond repair, so those victories made me feel much stronger.

Most importantly, knowing that it is your body repairing itself and others get what you are feeling is a huge thing. We get it, and are here to help you out.

Babby

#68 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:37 AM

Well I started this poll a while back so should probably give a quick update. You can also see an earlier post I did today-actually 2 under "It has to stop".

Day 46 I believe of cold turkey. Doing iffy. Good, bad, good, bad. Joint pain seems better but may be due to Prednisone that I am now tappering off of. Nerve pain in feet fairly bad-taking Neurotin for that. Muscle pain better-taking pain pills as needed. Mental-has not been an issue except on serious pain days. Am I cheating by taking Prednisone, Neurotin and pain pill? Don't know. But to my defense I have had nerve problems in feet prior to Sin-balta, maybe about 4 years ago. I have just recently introduced Omega 3 and need to start back with B-12. Maybe more water even though I drink about 64-76 oz. a day. But with Neurotin, can develop dehydration which in turn can cause muscle cramping and pain.

I'll trugg along as I have been for this long. Not dead yet and that is the good part.

Taa-Taa for now..........

#69 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:30 AM

Do you all feel like it helps or hurts to tell friends, family and co-workers? The symptoms are so bizzare that i'm not sure how someone without experience with this cessaion would react. thanks again for all of your insight.

Friends and family that will support you and understand, absolutely tell them.

Co workers - not so much. Unless you know what it is like to go through this, it is impossible to explain. And my friends that were on SSRI drugs that took them and came off with no problem actually did think that I lost it for awhile.

The less said to the co-workers the better, your personal life is just that.

#70 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:06 PM

It's very hard to figure out who to let in on what you are going through. I've 2 of my 3 brothers, one tried to understand but didn't, one didn't care. Told my sister and she was trying to understand and think may have a little. Told my best friend-we are no longer friends. Hmmmm. Know the woman for 51 years and felt she of all would understand. Guess she wasn't a friend. Since I got let go from my job prior to going cold turkey, I don't have to worry about co-workers. But to me, what you are going through is very personal and it's best to keep it out of work. My opioion for what it is worth. I do wish you the very best of luck with all of this. Remember that there are a great bunch of people on here that you can vent to. All of us truly understand what is going on with you, and we don't judge. So stick with us. We'll help get you through.

#71 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:33 PM

Day 55 without Cymbalta. Yesterday and today, I have had a few brain zaps. But I remember Schmb01 telling me, that when extremely tired she had them, so I am thinking, its just because of the added stress and the heat we are dealing with. When I do alot of cooking and baking and the dryer is going alot more, it gets HOT IN HERE TOO......I think we need to have the AC looked at.....but I have asked my BF to put me a clothesline in the back yard. This is the first place I have lived that does not have a clothesline. Anyway, I just thought I would tell you guys I am experiencing the brain zaps again, but they dont really bother me very much, I am still happy, I feel so blessed, but my life has never been more hectic... ;) If anyone knows much about marajuana I would appreciate you taking a look at my question I left under "Lets talk about something else" "Personal Question"......I think we have our plan of action, so to speak, but any advice is great, thanks.

I wish everyone a blessed weekend and those who are dealing with the early stages of the withdrawal, hang in there. It DOES GET EASIER!!!
I give you my word.

Lori

#72 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:11 AM

I think I am 80 days, Cymbalta free!!! I stopped taking the Positive Mood Formula supplement which was helping me with withdrawal side effects, 3 days ago. I actually feel great!! I had my concerns in regards to taking a product that had 5-HTP in it and how stopping the product would affect me....but I really feel great and positive. I have been sluggish this week, but I think that may be due to not taking my B Complex but still, even feeling sluggish, I continue to stay busy and dont stop til bedtime. I do not feel as though I am pushing myself too hard, it all just comes naturally. I am happy all day, and I sleep very well at night. I cant thank all of you enough, who helped me with your advice and just listened to me. I can not thank my family enough, but more importantly, I can not thank God enough for what He has done for me. I am in a talking mood this morning so if there is anyone who loves to read and believes in prayer....I am getting ready to post under "lets talk about something else".

My prayers and best wishes to all of you!!!
Lori
PS. I still keep a can of salmon in the pantry...just in case. ;)

#73 debbsum1

debbsum1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:01 PM

Hi fellow ex cymbaltians,
I have been on so many sites about cymbalta withdrawals, this is by far the best. I have been on anti-depressants for 13 years. The last two years I was switched over to cymbalta. I purposely kept my dosage at 30mg. In the 13 years I have gained about 30 pounds. It was time for me to get my prescription refilled and I just decided enough is enough. Last Monday night (06-23-08) I cut my pill down to 15mg, estimated because of the small balls, and that is the last time I took Cymbalta. I did the Cold Turkey. Said a prayer to God and that is that. It has been one week and as everyone knows there is the brain Zaps, brain fog, dizziness, hot flashes sensitivity to noises and feeling nauseated at times. I have read where many people have weened themselves down slowly but the end results is that one still goes through the withdrawals symptoms that is why I did the cold turkey. I have forced myself to get out and walk 4 miles three times a week while keeping my head very level ( dizzy). I found that taking Benadryl helps with the brain zaps. I am blessed where I don't have any small children at home and I don't have to work. How long will it be before I start to feel "normal"????
It is so easy for the Doctors to hand out prescriptions for sadness or anxiety but they never once say that once your on cymbalta you will have the worst withdrawals if you decide to get off. It is not worth being on the drug!!. A horrible thought that has been with me for quite sometime is "if or when" we are ever faced with a another major disaster,where getting to this medication will be near to impossible, there is going to be A LOT of people who will not be able to function; they will be the helpless people. We must be strong and know that this to shall pass.
Deborah

#74 pickiechooo

pickiechooo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:57 PM

Okay the clicking pen made me laugh, because last week I had a pop can on my desk. We were out of diet pop so it was regular pop....this seems funny now, but at the time... the pop in the can was making noises and it was grating on my last nerve. I said something to a friend, who knows I'm experiencing withdrawals and I even said...I can't believe that a pop can is ticking me off by making noise!

Anyway, I'm on day 7 of being cymbalta-free after decreasing from 60 to 30 mg for a week. Let me just tell you...I was thinking this would only last a couple weeks, but now that I've read all of these posts I'm scared. I have been experiencing the brain shakes, flutters, whatever you want to call them. They're horrible. It's like every time I move my head they're there. Dizziness too, although it seems to be getting better. I didn't sleep more than a few hours for 3 days in a row. In fact Sunday I fell asleep from 10:30 pm-12:30 am and was up until it was time to go to work. I am nauseous a lot and spend quite a bit of time in the bathroom (sorry you asked) after I eat. I just feel gross. Irritable and weepy too. Today I could've cried or seriously injured someone because everything was irritating me. Mostly I just feel very flu-like.

#75 pickiechooo

pickiechooo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:04 PM

Oh and I forgot one other symptom that's driving me crazy. I itch. A lot. Everywhere. I took Benadryl last night and that's the only way I got some sleep.

I'm usually in bed by 9-9:30 and look at the time. Way past my usual, BUT I'm not tired.

#76 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:46 AM

Debbsom1, there really is much power in prayer. But sometimes I think God took me to the point of the Cymbalta withdrawals so I would become the prayer warrior I am becoming. So I can honestly thank God, I went through the Cymbalta withdrawals. Just remember to pamper yourself during this time. Read as many posts as you can in regards to what foods and supplements may make the withdrawals alittle easier for you. You are so right when you said, this too shall pass, because there are alot of success stories on here as proof of that. There is no actual time frame as to when it will end for you. Everyones life style is different, a more stressful life style may drag it out longer....people who are already sensitive to loud noises or people touching you, could prolong it....it depends on eating habits...there are just so many factors that can determe how long someone will suffer from the "discontinuation side effects'. Just keep praying, posting, reading posts and take care of yourself to the point of pampering. It will end!!!

Dont be afraid, Pickiechooo, this Cymbalta is doable and it does come to an end. We are here for both of you. We will answer your questions and if you must vent, vent!!! Thats what we are here for, to help you anyway we can. I have to get my boyfriends daughter to an appt but I will check back later today. My thoughts and prayers are with you, but to know that God is the ONLY one who knows exactly what you are going through, and to know that He is by yourside, I hope will be comforting to you.

Lori

#77 CathyH

CathyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:25 PM

Hey everyone.....I'm in the process of going off Cymbalta, which I agree is the drug from hell. :evil: It is day six. The physical part of it isn't as bad as the emotional part. Physically, I'm having some "zaps", some blurred vision, balance is a little off, am exhausted mentally and physically. The physical part I can deal with so far.

The emotional part is freaking hell. I do okay in the morning and early afternoon, but by about 4 o'clock, I'm starting to lose it. I can't control my emotions, I can't deal with anyone or anything, everything is overwhelming, I can't focus on anything, all my life skills and self-value go right out the window. Last night, I got suicidal. Everything seems to fall apart. I've put in place some things to help me get through, kind of like a game plan, but in the evenings, I can't even muster what is necessary to use these things to help myself. I'm just lost, and in so much mental turmoil. Emotional agony. I just go from thing to thing, trying to hang on. I try to hide it from my family, as I want them to suffer as little as possible through this, but it doesn't work very well. I'm like this volcano ready to errupt at the slightest thing.

I'm hearing that this lasts about a month. Am I right? If it's just a month, maybe I can hang on. I really want off this med very badly. I don't want to get so emotionally miserable that I convince myself I need to go back on. That is one of my greatest fears.

#78 debbsum1

debbsum1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:37 PM

Thanks Lori for your understanding and knowing there is power in prayer ;) . I am now 9 days cymbalta free. I have been taking Omega 3 three times a day along with St. John's Wort and taking B-12 twice a day to get healthy. Benadryl does help with the brain zaps!! Today I went to the cupboard and threw out the last of the 30 pills of cymbalta away. Yea!! Tonight I have the body aches and hot flashes :oops: I know that I know that I know this is going to pass; one day I will go a whole day and realize that hell could not hold onto me. I am walking the road of FREEDOM!!!! God will walk with you and help ease the pain if you ask. He said he would never leave us or forsake us. He also said this life would not be easy; so true. Keep up the good work everyone!!

#79 CathyH

CathyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:30 PM

Hey everyone.....I am new to this site, but have posted once already. Still trying to find my way around. :geek:

It is day 7 for me without Cymbalta. I was at a very low dose when I went off completely 7 days ago. It's been a very up and down week. The physical part is tough (zaps, balance issues, vision problems, headaches, general fatigue). The emotional part has been hell. I've even gotten suicidal a couple of times, which I haven't felt in quite awhile. Evenings are the worst for me, as I seem to fall apart. It seems like every life skill I've ever learned and all the preparation I've done for this withdrawal, goes right out the window, and I become this "base" individual that can't handle any stress, any stimulation (especially negative). I go right down to a survival mode, and even that is now very stable. Don't know if I'm getting my thoughts accross okay.

I've read a few of the postings, and will read more. Sounds like there is some hope here, and I desperately need hope. :!:

#80 BecA

BecA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:31 PM

To Lori (and everyone else) Thank you for talking about how prayer helps with coping with the withdrawal symptoms. I am praying a lot more today, which is day 5 for me off Cymbalta. I just didn't get it refilled this time, have been on 60 mg for about a year, for anxiety and depression. It did help for a while, but not so much the last few months, which made me want to stop taking it. I have been dizzy, nauseous, had a foggy brain, vertigo, very lethargic and sleepy (though day 2 I couldn't sleep). Really sensitive to bright light and sounds. Had a migraine yesterday. Thought I was having a severe allergy, rather than withdrawal symptoms, so I started taking Zyrtec again two days ago, which has helped me calm down, and makes my head feel better, but makes me SO SLEEPY. I guess the Zyrtec might help in the same way as Benadryl, don't know, just find it does help me feel better. I have trouble concentrating, focusing visually, am very jumpy and nervous, cry very easily, emotionally sensitive to NOTHING, need to constantly tell myself to RELAX, sleeping a LOT, very thirsty. I considered picking up the prescription today, but then decided maybe I should go online and see if I was experiencing common withdrawal symptoms--and I WAS!! I feel validated, not crazy, but it's still not easy. I do find that I don't want to watch TV, just sitting outside doing nothing but listening to and watching the birds and the wind in the trees helps the most. I am also hungry a lot. I had started back walking, but had to stop due to being too dizzy, and not having good balance. I hope to start walking again soon. Thanks to everyone for your posts, it has really helped me to know that I am not alone. I hope I can make it through, will pray every day. I'm thankful I am off now for the summer, and don't have to work.

#81 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:30 AM

Hey everyone.....I am new to this site, but have posted once already. Still trying to find my way around. :geek:

It is day 7 for me without Cymbalta. I was at a very low dose when I went off completely 7 days ago. It's been a very up and down week. The physical part is tough (zaps, balance issues, vision problems, headaches, general fatigue). The emotional part has been hell. I've even gotten suicidal a couple of times, which I haven't felt in quite awhile. Evenings are the worst for me, as I seem to fall apart. It seems like every life skill I've ever learned and all the preparation I've done for this withdrawal, goes right out the window, and I become this "base" individual that can't handle any stress, any stimulation (especially negative). I go right down to a survival mode, and even that is now very stable. Don't know if I'm getting my thoughts accross okay.

I've read a few of the postings, and will read more. Sounds like there is some hope here, and I desperately need hope. :!:

Cathy, please, let your family know what you are feeling, especially if you have had thoughts of suicide. Don't take this lightly. Yes, it is the drug, and yes, it plays hell with your emotions, BUT, knowing that, and coping with it at times is very hard. I had one night that was bad enough that I had someone come and just sit with me and watch TV. Just the comfort of someone that knew I was feeling horrible, and having them with me, really helped me through it.

Do look into the Omega 3 supplements. I bought Nordic Naturals, and while expensive, they began to work almost immediately. Omega 3 has a natural Prozac effect on the body and mind. Also, limit your caffeine intake drastically in the early stages. I was hyper sensitive to it, and it made me feel much worse. I'm back to drinking it again, but for about a month, I had to keep it to a cup of tea a day. Try Chamomile Tea, or Sleepytime tea with Valerian (this helps me to sleep)

But again, I can't stress enough that you should include someone who you are close to, and trust, in the early stages of this process. It is so important not to feel isolated. It does help to keep telling yourself it is the drug, and not you, but don't risk harming yourself. It will pass, and you should start to see some improvement each day, even if it is in small increments, but it will improve.

I'm pulling for you dear, and when you get scared, you can come here too. Yes, there is hope! You will come out the other side of this evil drug, and you don't have to do it alone.

Babby

#82 CathyH

CathyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 July 2008 - 04:09 PM

Hi Babby......Thanks for the reply. My family does know what is going on. I have talked to them at length about it, and warned them, and asked for their support. I think they do the best they can. I have been through this with Cymbalta before. It started months ago, when I went to my doc and asked to be taken off this drug, as my diagnosis is Bipolar 2, mixed state, with panic disorder, and OCD. I had learned that antidepressants can aggrivate Bipolar symptoms. He agreed to take me off it. It took me many months to go from 60 mg daily to 30mg daily to 30mg every other day. It took me so long because of the withdrawals. I once tried to go off the 30mg every other day, and only made it 7 days. I was ready for the nut hut. I couldn't cope. I caved and went back on.

I do have a game plan in place for getting through the withdrawals, and I have three people willing to come and sit with me if I need it. My husband, mom, and best friend. So that is good. I haven't needed it yet, but that doesn't really mean anything, as it is only day 8 since I went off.

I'm going to get some Omega 3 today, even though I can't afford it. I've heard other places that it helps, too.

I haven't been suicidal since day 6, so here's to hoping. I do mention it when I feel that way, but don't make an issue out of it, because they will insist I go into the hospital. Not going there ever again if I can help it.

Thank you very much for the encouragement and hope. I need it.

CathyH

#83 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:29 AM

Day 101 Cymbalta free and day 14 cigarette free. As far as the Cymbalta withdrawal, for those of you who did not work during the time of withdrawal, have you gone back to work? I seem to be doing fine, I still have my irritable days (from not smoking). Somedays I am alittle more down than other days, or a bit more anxious. But then again, I may suffer from that anyway, due to the medication I had to take prior to the procedure I had done in August 2007. I am not taking anything anymore for my depression/anxiety, I am trying to get through it by prayer and will power and most of the time I am very positive. My problem is, I am still afraid to go to work. I still do not like to be away from home for very long periods of time. Even when I am with my boyfriend, and we go alot of places, I get very anxious to get back home after a short while. It may just be me and have nothing to do with the withdrawals. I just thought I would ask.

#84 CathyH

CathyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:15 PM

Lori.......Congrats on day 101 and quitting smoking!!! I can't relate to the work issue, as I am disabled due to my illness and having 19 electroshock treatments.

I'm at day 32, and seem to be doing very well--the withdrawal seems to be over, thank God. One thing I've noticed (residual side effect?) is that I don't handle stress very well. My mind gets over-loaded pretty easily. Hope this passes, as I have an active family, and they seem to need me alot. I do have my husband, who knows I don't handle too much at one time, and he is always ready to pitch in.

CathyH

#85 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:56 PM

Thats great, Cathy, that your husband is aware and is willing to pitch in to help you. I too am easily overloaded. I am a doer, I make sure everyone is taken care of, I work hard to keep the house clean, the pantry stocked, the frig and freezer stocked, that everyone has what they need BEFORE they need it, basically we spoil everyone but I am glad, you too, have a partner that is aware that is who you are and is willing to help you when they see that you have done too much. I am so glad you are doing better now, hang in there!!!! You are doing it!!!

Lori

#86 kendy31

kendy31

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:39 PM

I am new to this site. I understand that most people on here have experienced "withdrawl" symptoms when they go off of Cymbalta. What I want to know is how many of you were weened off of Cymbalta, how much they were on Cymbalta, what was the period they were weened off of Cymbalta and the mg per week or weeks they were weened off. I have been on Cymbalta for 2 1/2 years and the only reason I am weening off of Cymbalta is because I am trying to have a baby and my doctor told me I needed to be off of Cymbalta BEFORE i conceive. I am on 120mg which is the max dose. I was on Cymbalta because i had MASSIVE panic attacks and no other drug seemed to work for me. I am currently on 90mg and this is the first step from my doctor to weening off Cymbalta. This is my second day weening off of 90mg. So far I havent had any withdrawl symptoms. I will be weening off in two week incurments by going down 30mg every two weeks. Has anyone had any luck in something like this? It seems to me that most people on here are cutting off Cymbalta cold turkey? Please give any advice or personal experiences with me that are similar to me... or any advice... :D I actually had good luck on Cymbalta and it really has done me alot of good besides weight gain. Like I said above, the only reason I am getting off of it is because I am planning on getting pregnant. I am concerned about these withdrawl symptoms and hope not to experience some of them. I just would like to know if anyone is in the same boat as me in any way? PLEASE HELP!! THanks!!!

#87 KHH07

KHH07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    I'm suffering withdrawals from Cymbalta, and am looking for support!

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:35 PM

It's day 8 after stopping cold turkey. ( I had NO idea until I found this site that the way I was feeling was attributable to Cymbalta withdrawal.) I began taking Prozac today, as I am miserable,and am hoping against hope that it will help, and not exacerbate things. I felt almost normal yesterday, and was hoping I was on my way to getting 'well,' but no such luck. I have returned to my former dizzy, tired, nauseated, ear-ringing self. ( I don't do well with ANY kind of medication, and was prescribed Cymbalta for nerve pain. Had I been told of the effects of withdrawal from this med, I would never have taken it. Nerve pain is preferable any day to my present state. I so hope that ALL of us will begin to feel much better sooner rather than later.

#88 ernhrtfanton

ernhrtfanton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • why_joining:
    Wanting to do this.

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:36 AM

I was on Cymbalta for 3 1/2 yrs, 60mg. I stopped taking cold turkey 16 days ago. I was having brain zaps, these are not near as frequent now. I am feeling so much stronger, emotionally, (the clouds have lifted). I was on due to deep depression issues, during that time, my wife (separated) took her own life, and 3 months ago I lost my job. So, I made it through those times and decided to quit taking. Right now, side effects are minimal, 16 days and counting. I sure hope this continues, and I am so thankful that I am not having to fight the battles that many others are. I hope that my life can continue on this path back to being "me."

Tony

#89 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

Hi,
Welll I started my wean on Aug 31, 09, Cymbalta 60 mg
I am now down to 20 mg minus 5 beads.

No it's not been that great for me, but I do have moments.
I have PTSD on top of everything else, so it makes mine
a different beast.

Debbie

#90 redhead

redhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

Hi everyone,

Well off the Cymbalta now with 4 weeks (31days) and feeling good, still have very vivid dreams every night and feeling kinda tired during the day. Its that time of month now too so I suppose I'm bound to feel bit anxious and irritable but overall I feel like I am healing and that the worst is over.

Next is trying to stop smoking!!! Only smoking with 3-4 years so feel really unfit now and need to start quitting them and also have about half stone to lose.... Any suggestions would be appreciated.......

Redhead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users