#91 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:30 PM

HI Redhead,

All I can say as an ex smoker is don't try to do both at once.

When I gave up smoking (also after only a few years) I allowed myself to put ON weight, because I figured a temporary small increase in weight which resulted in permanently giving up cigarettes was worth it. Admittedly I wasn't overweight when I started, but I allowed myself to put on a 14 lbs. (from 8st to 9st) Once the scales hit 9 stone (which was nearly a year) I then decided it was time to be a bit less relaxed about nibbling to take my mind of wanting a cigarette.

The blissful thing about losing weight was, unlike having to give up cigarettes, I COULD actually eat SOME food.

I also had two people around me (my partner at the time, and my sister) who were both once-a-month-smokers, and who were very supportive of me giving up my packet-a-day habit, but knew how enjoyable it COULD be, and that was helpful.

(In contrast, when I told my mother, I heard 'oh good' and that was the last I heard of it.)

Finally, think of the cigarettes you REALLY enjoyed each day, compared with the number you just automatically lit. For me that was only a handful a day - first one in the morning, after a meal etc.

Don't hesitate to keep posting here about how it's going ...

regards, Maureen.

#92 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

Redhead,
I agree with Maureene, don't do both things at one. I did write you something about
this but who knows where it went.

I quit smoking over 4 years now, but it was right after my surgery on my back. They
refused to let me go out door to smoke, so I said then get me the GUM NOW!!!!
Never did I think I could ever be a non smoker, also i DIDN'T GAIN ANY WEIGHT!!!

I didn't get any of the nightmares like you do on the patches, or the pills, and
Zyban is just Wellbutrin, whcih I never gave a though to, this truly was a God
thing I think.

Just do one demon at a time, the one you just did was harder than hell, so just
take time to cont to heal.

Debbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users