Photo

I don't believe the nerve of this company!!!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:32 PM

Are you fricking kidding me????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Now, just watch the numbers on this support board begin to soar! There has to be a way to stop this madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The really scary thing is, this will now be prescribed to an older/elderly population, many of whom suffer from severe athritis. Eventually they too will need to come off of this, and I can't even imagine how horrid this will be!

I'm from the generation that experimented with "altered states" so to speak, and in some ways, that probably kept me from losing it completely when I came off of this. My Mother suffers from severe arthritis, and if she were placed on this, well, I can't even imagine! Of course I would never allow her to take it, but think of the people that just don't know!

I am more than beside myself. We need an editorial written and submitted to the New York Times or some other large publication. Someone needs to stop this!

#2 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:41 AM

I submitted Cymbalta withdrawal to the Today Show (NBC) as a potential topic.
I can only imagine how many people are still taking this drug because it was too hard to stop and receiving no benefits for whatever their condition was. Just taking it to survive and keep their jobs and "live" life. Personally, I knew about a year and a half ago it was time to stop, but after researching and seeing people's stories about how difficult it was to stop, every time I went to make the jump off, I would just be too scared.

After a year of an "I don't care anymore" existence, I purposely waited for a time when I would have a little time to try to "hide" this in my professional life. Figuring it took about 6 weeks for this crap to work, I gave myself about a month to get over the nasties, and fully expected to be "up and running" by the sixth week.

I was I think member number 87 to this board. Now there are over 1,000 members (true, many of them are bogus spam-bot things) but still, I have seen some really heartbreaking stories. People being treated with a "laundry list" of medications that are not even known how or if they even work at all. Many people come and post once or twice and never return, did they get over this on their own, did they go back to Cymbalta to "maintain"?

People do not realize that we as patients have a right to question and refuse to take the drugs that they practice medicine with. And I am appalled at the amount of doctors that are telling people that the withdrawal does not exist. Don't we go to the doctor to go over symptoms and get relief? If we have legitimate concerns that are being swept under the rug, that leaves a good many of people out in the cold, confused and frightened. And less likely in the future will those individuals actually request and receive medical attention that they might actually need.

Your body, your right to question the doctors and also to refuse the treatment offered and their obligation to find a way to help that works. In a utopian world. One day....

#3 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:32 PM

Greybeard, great letter, and I hope someone with some vestage of morality will read it and take it to the top. Sarah, I'm also glad you contacted the Today show, and what would good too, is if a program like 48 hours or one of those investigative shows would take this on. Big Pharma seems to carry a lot of clout out there, and I just don't see many people having the balls to take this on.

It is a crime, plain and simple to expand this drug's usage. Or, maybe the crime is in how it is prescribed, by doctors that simply want to throw a pill at every ill that you have. I don't know, maybe Scientologists have been right all along.

Babby

#4 robyn_amber

robyn_amber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:25 AM

I'm scared silly now. I unintentionally quit cold turkey. I hadn't realized my perscription would run out on the last day of Memorial Day weekend. And then I kept forgetting to go pick it up. I have been without it now for 5 days. I didn't realize that what was happening to me was Cymbalta withdrawals at first. I think I may have a bleeding ulcer, and I will be seeing my doctor on Monday about it. I was going to get my perscription today and start taking it again, but then I looked up the withdrawal side effects and found lots of information that has me scared. I'm dizzy, which makes me nauseated, and I'm pretty sure about the ulcer. I'm terrified about what could be next! I'm not going to get that perscription, though. I've already felt like I was going to die last night, and I don't want to have to do that again. I guess I'm on the long, hard road to recovery from a medicine that was supposed to help me. :cry:

#5 robyn_amber

robyn_amber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:17 AM

Thanks, Greybeard. I did want to wean off (edit: information removed) but not until school got out (I'm a teacher) on Thursday. Guess I got a jump on myself. :/ I was reading everything last night. I took some Benadryl last night, and I was finally able to get to sleep. I'll talk to my doctor tomorrow when I see him and ask him about Prozac. I can't take Celexa (edit: information removed), and it threw me for a loop. I felt like I was dreaming all the time, I fell asleep for split seconds when I was talking or reading to my class, it made me forgetful, it put me in a fog, (edit: information removed), etc. I can't even remember what all Celexa did to me. So, I'm hoping Prozac won't do the same thing. (edit: information removed) I'm also on Wellbutrin, 200mg in the morning and 200mg at night. So, I don't expect the emotional hell that some have experienced. But, the dizziness and stomache pains are bad. Even now, sitting at my computer, I'm holding very still, trying not to move my head for fear of upsetting my tummy. I guess I'm on day 6 now. I will be giving my doctor all the information I found online about Cymbalta. Truly, I'm scared, but I'm even more scared of ever putting that into my body again.

Day 6 and counting...

#6 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:30 AM

I took some Benadryl last night, and I was finally able to get to sleep. I'll talk to my doctor tomorrow when I see him and ask him about Prozac. I can't take Celexa. We tried that one first for depression, and it threw me for a loop. I felt like I was dreaming all the time, I fell asleep for split seconds when I was talking or reading to my class, it made me forgetful, it put me in a fog, it removed ALL my inhibitions, etc. I can't even remember what all Celexa did to me. So, I'm hoping Prozac won't do the same thing.
Truly, I'm scared, but I'm even more scared of ever putting that into my body again.

hey robyn, I just wanted to note that if you had that kind of reaction to Celexa, it might be possible that you would have the same one with Prozac, they are very similar in chemical make-up. Also, since I was a person who got over Cymbalta withdrawal using Celexa, I researched it extensively. My research stated that Celexa can bring on "episodes" of mania in some people. Be careful with the Prozac and go over this with your doctor extensively. I hope that you are through this soon. It doesn't last forever and some people get over this really quickly.

Try not to be frightened about this, which is hard not to do. The more relaxed you are the better off you will be. You aren't going crazy, coming off of this drug cold turkey is brutal, my old doc told me to stop cold turkey.

Even though I felt like hell the first few days, I was like you, I was more afraid to ever take Cymbalta again. You will return to health. Glad that Benadryl helped you get some sleep. Be well...ask any questions you want..

#7 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:45 AM

As GB and Sarah have stated, be careful, and do whatever you can to keep your mind relaxed and sedate. I can't say enough about soft music, low key movies, or just being outside in a more natural setting. Even little sounds and things kind of creep in when you are trying to sleep, and we all know how scary that is, especially at night. If you have pets, hold them and snuggle with them for comfort. It may sound silly, but my dog kept me grounded on many scary nights. Also, if you have someone close to you that you can call when you feel scared, please do that. During a particularly rough night, when I went from 30 to zero, I had to have a relative just come and sit with me. Just having her here, even though we just sat and watched movies, really made me feel better.

Also, be sure you are eating well, drinking lots of fluids, water mostly, or chamomile tea. Avoid caffeine if you can, or reduce it while dealing with this. It is hard not to feel scared, but I know it helped me immensely reading others stories here; I didn't feel so isolated, and I realized that what I was feeling would pass. There are supplements, such as Omega 3 that some of us have used, yet until you talk to your doctor, you may want to stick with getting your nutritional needs met through foods. There is a thread here that lists good sources for you.

One of us is always popping in and out of here, so feel free to come back with questions, or even to vent about how you are feeling. We are all pulling for you, and you can do this.

Babby

#8 Amanda01

Amanda01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:25 AM

Just posted this under a different topic but thought it would be very appropriate here... This came across my desk yesterday and I find it interesting that the FDA - who is 'in bed' with Eli Lilly may actually - FINALLY - be doing something about Lilly's blasphemous drug Cymbalta.

""Eli Lilly expects FDA action in the middle of 2009 on its sNDA for serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) Cymbalta to manage chronic pain, the company said.

Lilly announced its filing, without confirming the date of the submission, and said it will be evaluated under a standard 10-month review period. Cymbalta (duloxetine HCl) is approved for diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain, major depressive disorder and general anxiety disorder.

The company said its one-year estimate for FDA action reflects the current regulatory environment.

The Cymbalta sNDA is based on three double-blind, randomized trials -- one testing the drug in 230 patients with chronic osteoarthritis pain of the knee and two testing the product in a total of 630 patients with chronic lower back pain, the company said.

The application also includes data from previously completed studies in patients with diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain and fibromyalgia. Cymbalta's application for fibromyalgia is pending at the FDA under standard review. The application was submitted last August with an estimated action date in June.
-- Drug Industry Daily""

#9 robyn_amber

robyn_amber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:31 PM

GRRRRRR....I vote we have all Eli-Lilly employees go on their product for 30 days, then try to come off it. Oh, and the FDA peeps, too. Hmmm, and maybe the smattering of doctors that say it's all in our heads. Ya, that's what my vote is.

#10 Laurie

Laurie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:51 PM

This company clearly paid big bucks to the FDA to get this drug through with only 8 weeks of clinical studies, which didn't include the effects of withdrawal. It's amazing, isn't it, that this can get on the shelves so fast, and yet there are cancer drugs that take years of testing before the FDA approves them. I've stopped taking Cymbalta four days ago and am miserable with the withdrawal symptoms. I was on it for a year before I started reading about all the side effects and problems people have withdrawing from it, and I work in the medical field. We have samples on our shelves in my office right now! I was afraid to stop taking it, but more afraid to stay on it, so took the plunge and stopped. It's been a slow weaning process, but am glad I did it, despite the misery. I was talking to a drug rep in my office last week who was pushing a NEW SSRNI in the same class as Cymbalta - only with "less side effects".... I asked about the withdrawal side effects and he said "that's a good question, but they don't really know. It was only studied a few weeks, and that's not enough time to see what the effects would be." A FEW WEEKS??? That's not even enough time to see what the start up side effects are. But there he sat, all proud as could be with his diagrams, brouchures, samples, complimentary pens, sticky notes and shiny staplers all bearing the company and drug name. Oh, and he brought lunch for the whole office. What a guy. :twisted: It will be interesting, if not down right scary, to see what the long term effects are and if there is any permanent damage done to those of us who have used it in the past. I'll make sure everyone of my friends and family knows I was on it, in case one day I'm found wandering naked down the street, not knowing my own name and address, yelling "make it stop"; and the FDA links this particular symptom to previous use of the drug Cymbalta. :lol: Shame on Eli Lily for putting us all in danger. God bless all of you that have gone through this nightmare.

#11 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:24 PM

This is my first post. I just discovered this site, and I think it may have saved my life!! I am an attorney and a Cymbalta victim. I clicked on the above link (http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/index.html) to the FDA and filed an official report. I strongly encourage others to do the same. Here is the text of my report, which gives my story:

"July 29, 2008

To Whom It May Concern:

I am reporting serious concerns about the anti-depressant drug Cymbalta. I am a 37 year old attorney whose life has been disrupted by this drug. Doctors and patients should be made aware of the dangerous side effects and possible addiction that can occur with Cymbalta.

I was prescribed Cymbalta to treat my depression and anxiety approximately one year ago. My psychiatrist told me there were no serious side effects to consider. Unfortunately, she was not informed.

This drug made my depression and overall health worse. I took 60mg per day as prescribed for approximately one year. During that year, I noticed a steady decrease in energy level and decline in my overall health. About three months ago, I reported to my doctor that I didn't think Cymbalta was helping my depression. At that time, she increased my dose of Cymbalta to 90mg per day. That is when the negative side effects of Cymbalta became noticeable to my family and I.

My family observed that I was agitated and short-tempered. Additionally, I noticed a decline in memory function, and a severe decrease in my ability to concentrate. My depression symptoms also worsened. One week before my scheduled doctor's appointment, I decreased my dosage from 90mg back to 60mg. That is when the side effects and withdrawal symptoms from Cymbalta became serious and dangerous.

In addition to the aforementioned symptoms, I immediately experienced flu-like symptoms, episodes of rage, suicidal ideations, dizziness, and neural zaps. These symptoms began approximately three weeks ago. In that time, I have had to limit the time I spend my family, especially my five young nephews, because I fear that I will be unable to control my anger.

When I went to the doctor twelve days ago and told my doctor the increase in Cymbalta dosage had not been helpful, she switched me to a new anti-depressant, Pristiq. My doctor told me that I should be able to switch over to the new med without any problems. She did not mention any possible withdrawal symptoms, and I can only assume that is because she was not aware of any.

The withdrawal has been so bad over the last twelve days, that I end up taking a 30mg Cymbalta every few days just to end the withdrawal symptoms. Within one hour of taking the Cymbalta, the symptoms subside. They do not disappear completely, but they decrease.

Today the withdrawal symptoms were so bad, that I decided to look on the internet to see if there was any information on "Cymbalta withdrawal." To my surprise, I came across several websites and a discussion forum dedicated solely to the adverse side effects from, and addiction to, Cymbalta.

I was shocked to learn that there are thousands of other patients out there just like me. There are probably many others out there suffering from Cymbalta who are not yet informed. Today is Sunday and my doctor's office is closed. As soon as the office is open tomorrow, I will call and discuss my concerns with my doctor.

Cymbalta is a dangerous drug that can cause serious side effects and addiction in many patients. Eli Lilly needs to make the medical community aware of these issues so that they can make informed choices about prescribing Cymbalta. In addition, Eli Lilly should be required to warn all potential users of Cymbalta about the possibility of dangerous side effects and addiction.

I have always trusted the FDA to act in the best interest of American citizens. Now I suspect that the FDA is failing to protect the public in regards to the dangers of Cymbalta. Research is needed into the wide spread occurrence of negative side effects and addiction in Cymbalta patients. A simple internet search of this topic will lead you to thousands of victims.

These patients, including victims of suicide, were taking the prescribed dosage of Cymbalta under the care of their physicians. How many lives must be ruined before Eli Lilly is forced to take responsibility for the harmful effects of Cymbalta? The FDA is charged with educating the public about drugs and potential unsafe effects. It is failing in this duty regarding Cymbalta."

I am shocked and outraged that my doctor was not aware of any serious side effects and addiction problems! I practice criminal law, so I am unfamiliar with civil law...can we file a class-action suit?? You better believe I will find out first thing tomorrow morning!!

#12 Laurie

Laurie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:29 PM

Great letter. Pristiq is the new anti-depressent in the same class as Cymbalta - with an 8 week study before release. The drug rep that tried to "push it" in my office a couple of weeks ago told me that it had less side effects than Cymbalta, such as less incidence of hypertension and nausea. He admitted the withdrawal effects had not been studied during the 8 weeks, but thought I posed a "good" question. :shock:

#13 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:58 PM

Thanks for the support! I am just so glad I found this forum. I did speak to my doctor's office today...the receptionist called back and said the Dr wanted me to up my Pristiq to 100mg a day :D I said, no, I want an appt, so I'm going to see her on Thursday. I really like my doctor and I am giving her the benefit of the doubt until I speak with her about my concerns.

Until yesterday, I had been off the Cymbalta for almost a week...but I took one yesterday right before I found this board because my rage and zaps were so bad. I would've stayed off it if I had read this info 1/2 hour earlier! I'm going to stay off the Cymbalta, but take the Pristiq until Thurs. Then I am going to talk to my Dr about getting off everything for a little while.

I talked to my mom and sister about all of this last night, and they are very supportive. My poor sister was so scared for me that she drove to my house at 10:30 pm with her 4 month old baby...she thought I would try to hurt myself. I reassured her that I am NOT feeling suicidal and we had a good long talk. I am blessed to have a loving family :D

#14 Laurie

Laurie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:24 PM

I reported my experiences to the FDA and received a confirmation via email today. I also had an appointment with my doctor today (for an unrelated issue) and told her about the adverse effects I have been having. She isn't the one who initially rx'd it for me, and she was surprised to hear about the side effects. She stated that she has never rx'd it and has done a lot of research and reading about it and just wasn't comfortable with the side potential effects listed while on the medication. She won't rx Pristiq either as it's in the same class and was also rushed through the FDA approval process. At any rate, these "brain zaps" are really bothering me and I'm hoping that I feel normal again. Do they ever go away? I can't imagine feeling this way forever. I notice that they happen more often later in the day. I just hope there isn't any permanent damage done to any of us because of this drug. At least we know we're not alone.

#15 DuneAlia

DuneAlia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:10 PM

Delete my account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users