• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#61 Allison

Allison

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:34 AM

i've tried 5-htp but was very sick to stomach & dizzy, but did feel kinda normal, still titrating

horrid medicine, crazy making

Thank Niema. So did you stay on the 5-HTP to see if side effects subsided? I am now on about 26 mg. of Cymbalta along with 10 mg Lexapro (Lex. was just added today for two weeks, then I stop Cymbalta). After done with Cymbalta wean (Thank God), I will stay on Lexapro a couple of weeks and wean off of it. See my doc on 9/22 to see how it is going. I took about 4 beads a day out of Cymbalta 60 mg. to lessen 1 mg per day. I have been weaning off of Cymbalta since 7/29! Just now down to 26 mg. too. I am grateful to be getting off this nasty stuff and pray for good this time. Good luck!!

#62 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:29 PM

Careful with the 5_HTP. I just read up on it on Wikipedia and there are some dangers to taking it. See http://en.wikipedia....droxytryptophan

#63 Danwall

Danwall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIreland
  • why_joining:
    Have SADs

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:38 AM

Just to update, in my ignorance, I went off them rather Quickly, after 3 weeks I seem to have got away with it, I am just a bit tired at times, I was starting to have trouble with my knee joints, but this has gone also

#64 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:42 PM

Just to update, in my ignorance, I went off them rather Quickly, after 3 weeks I seem to have got away with it, I am just a bit tired at times, I was starting to have trouble with my knee joints, but this has gone also

I´ve also had trouble with my knee joints and the tiredness

#65 Caresy

Caresy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

I´ve also had trouble with my knee joints and the tiredness

I just realized that my knees and other joints seem sore - especially in my fingers. This is probably another symptom! Thanks for sharing.

C.

#66 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:25 PM

Well JDRN, I'm still using your method some 60 days later and am now down to 32mg. I have had many bouts with severe fatigue even doing it this slowly, but I'm getting there, and I have NO depression. I am so excited to only have 1 mo to go and then be med-free! Thanks again for explaining this method. One thing I have noticed is I am much less stiff and no longer have pain in my legs that I had when I started. In fact, 2 weeks ago I kicked the daily Tylenol for leg pain habit!

#67 Kmsw

Kmsw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:31 PM

Ok so im done finally. August 5 (last friday) was my first Cymbalta free day.

Even though I've been stabalized on 5mg since July 8.. I still noticed some final withdrawal effects. Mood swings and emotional shifts. Today was the only day I had a bad headache reminesent of when dropping in the middle of my campaign.

The mood swings aren't terrible, but it's noticable. It's easy to get irritable, i'll get tearied eyed as if I could cry for the dumbest reasons.

But this whole experience was well worth it. Im betting by this friday i'll have no effects, usually that's how this works.

Sometimes withdrawal effects lag. So you might drop down (or stop completely) on Monday, and not have any withdrawal effects until thursday. It's wierd like that.

By the way, if you don't like the idea of "Brain Zaps" do what I did. I never came close to any of the horrible experiences i've read about on the internet. Im glad i've never had a brain zap and hopefully never will.

Dear JRDN,

Thank you for sharing your journey with me. I have been on 20 mg for a few years and would like to wean myself off. I tried following your instructions tonight about removing balls, but made an awful mess. Any suggestions on how to do this meticulously? I'm a bit of a spaz.

Thanks,

kmsw

#68 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:33 PM

Kmsw,

Here's how I do it. I'm answering because JRDN doesn't always drop by and you may be in a hurry to know.

First you've got to count how many balls are in your capsule because it may not be the same as other people. However, my own experience is there are @ 300 balls in a 30mg pill and @200 (bigger) balls in a 60 mg pill. So find out how many balls are in a 20mg pill. Divide the # of balls by 20 to get how many balls = 1 mg. Take 1 mg more out each day. So getting off 20 mg should take 20 days.

Here's how I determine my daily dose. JRDN does this all at once and sets up a week's pills. I do it each morning.

I take small tea cup plate and pour some balls out on it, what I think will be the target #. This morning I had to take out 81 balls. I also have a small bowl available. I move about ten or so of the balls to the edge of the plate and count them with my eyes and mind. Then I knock those counted balls off into the bowl. I keep counting a small subset of balls on the edge of the plate until I have reached 81 balls that ended up poured into the ball. The remaining balls on the plate need to go back in the pill. The best way to do that is to pout them in the palm of your hand and scoop them back into the pill with the pill capsule. Put the pill back together and take it. Discard the removed balls.

#69 brooklyngirl

brooklyngirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:27 PM

I counted 192 (but I may have dropped a few beads!) beads in my 60mg pills.

That is 3.2 per mg.

So my goal is:
Week 1 decrease by 3 beads. (189 beads per pill) = 59/mg
Week 2: decrease by 9 beads. (176 beads)/pp) = 55/mg
Week 2: add 20mg of Prozac each day moving forward
Week 3: decrease by 18 beads (162 beads) = 50/mg
Week 4: decrease by 30 beads (132 beads) = 41.mg
Weak 5: decrease by 30 beads (102 beads) = 31.8mg
Week 6: decrease by 30 beads (72 beads) = 22.5 mg
Week 7: decrease by 36 beads (32 beads) = 11.25 mg
Week 8: decrease by 7 beads (25 beads) = 5mg
Week 9: Prozac 20mg only

Does this make sense?

#70 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:30 PM

That will work. You're decreasing by week; I'm decreasing by day. Not sure which is easier on the body. My way, the decrease is relentless, but small each day. Your way, the body gets a week to adjust to a dose, but the weekly jumps are bigger than my daily jumps. I think both ways will work. The week method seems to be what the drs. use, but they don't do bead counting. We are both taking about 9-10 weeks.

#71 JRDN

JRDN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:40 AM

That will work. You're decreasing by week; I'm decreasing by day. Not sure which is easier on the body. My way, the decrease is relentless, but small each day. Your way, the body gets a week to adjust to a dose, but the weekly jumps are bigger than my daily jumps. I think both ways will work. The week method seems to be what the drs. use, but they don't do bead counting. We are both taking about 9-10 weeks.

It's better to allow your mind the 3-4 days in a week to adjust to each new dosage.

Obviously I haven't tried it, but I'd imagine reducing your dose every single day isn't as good as weekly in terms of withdrawal effect reduction.

Your brain gets 12 hours to adjust everyday.. I'd be mostly concerned about what would happen when im 100% stopped. Seeing as how that'd be the real test. You'll probably experience the effects you'd otherwise have adjusted to doing it weekly.

But whatever, as long you take it slow if you need to.

#72 JRDN

JRDN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:52 AM

I counted 192 (but I may have dropped a few beads!) beads in my 60mg pills.

That is 3.2 per mg.

So my goal is:
Week 1 decrease by 3 beads. (189 beads per pill) = 59/mg
Week 2: decrease by 9 beads. (176 beads)/pp) = 55/mg
Week 2: add 20mg of Prozac each day moving forward
Week 3: decrease by 18 beads (162 beads) = 50/mg
Week 4: decrease by 30 beads (132 beads) = 41.mg
Weak 5: decrease by 30 beads (102 beads) = 31.8mg
Week 6: decrease by 30 beads (72 beads) = 22.5 mg
Week 7: decrease by 36 beads (32 beads) = 11.25 mg
Week 8: decrease by 7 beads (25 beads) = 5mg
Week 9: Prozac 20mg only

Does this make sense?

Good luck with the whole Prozac thing. I would suggest making your schedule so Friday is the day/night you drop down. That way if you do have withdrawal effects, it won't be in the middle of the week and effect your work.

Maybe you should do some google searching about when to 'switch' to prozac. By what you've got planned. You're basically going to add Prozac 20mg to your full 60mg cymbalta dose (5mg is a rounding error, in terms of a full 60mg dose).

Maybe switch that to week 5 or 6? It seems weaning below 30mg is where most people have problems anyways.

I personally wouldn't do that, but it depends on what you're trying to do. If you just want to switch to a low dose of Prozac, you probably don't need 9 weeks.

Also just to let you know.. I was very shocked myself, I reduced my dose by 1mg (could have been slightly more, but less than 2mg) at the start, and that was one of the worst weeks I experienced, it was easier when I fully stopped than that first week.

So just know it's perfectly fine to continue as needed, an extra week of the same dose to increase stablility before dropping down.

Also, avoid alocohol drinking and things like that which effect your brain chemistry.

#73 brooklyngirl

brooklyngirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for the advice!!

#74 Mona

Mona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:48 PM

I have taken cymbalta for about 2 years 30 mg. My Dr suggested Cymbalta after I experienced mild aniexty at one point he wanted eo increase my dosage to 60 mg. but fortunately I declined. I have never really been a depressed individual.
Recently, I lost my prescription insurance and do not find it a priority to stay on a drug I never should have been on at all. 9 days ago I made a decision to stop taking Cymbalta..I have found it is much easier to make the decision than to do it.
I started by spacing the doses 24 hrs.,32 hrs.,36 hrs.,..then I read some of these letters and noticed people were breaking open the pills and removing granules...this method made sense so I tried..ended up with granules all over my fingers...it was like a bad comedy show!
Talked to my pharmacist at this point and he told me to NEVER OPEN A CAPSULE! Once the capsule is open the effectiveness of the time release is lost. Consequently, the only thing I accomplished was taking the whole dose at once with nothing being released over the next 24 hrs. Needless to say the next 48 hrs. were horrible. Nausea, headaches, floating feeling, I have even walked into three different walls!
I have since had another Dr look up "How to Withdraw From Cymbalta" . HIs advise was the same NEVER OPEN A CAPSULE and space the dose until you reach 72 hours. He did say that at 72 hours you should be physically free but that it can take up to 6 weeks for your brain to be clear of this hideous drug.
I do not think that a family doctor or a GP should be able to prescribe Cymbalta. Maybe if they took a few minutes to read all the letters posted here from patients that have become addicted they would give it a second thought...or maybe a Class Action Suit is what is needed.
I hope this helps someone and wish you all Good Luck!

#75 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:44 PM

We open the capsule, count the beads, and put some back in (for specifics, see elsewhere in this site). Then you take the new dose IN the capsule, so it works out fine. I have been doing this for over 60 days and it works great.

#76 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:41 PM

Today: 25mg and doing great! I have had fatigue throughout my whole tapering which I solve by sleeping as much as I can, which often isn't as much as I'd like.

I've felt inspired and able to improve my diet since I came out of the fog of Cymbalta. Lost 7 lbs and gave up sugar and alcohol in last 2 weeks. Soon as I finish this grant at work, I will sign up at the gym. I am only getting better every day! My legs are definitely better....almost pain-free and less stiff than when on Cymbalta.

#77 Allison

Allison

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:44 PM

I think a class action suit is exactly what we need to wake up Eli Lilly!!! I have now weaned since July 29 and am off Cymbalta as of last Wed.
and am taking Lexapro instead. I refused to take Prozac as my doctor wanted me to. Lexapro is ok, made me jittery at first when I added to Cymbalta towards end, but better now. Still have fatigue, not really brain zaps but like a little dizzy spell every once in a while, joint pain (fingers too) so I take liquid glucosamine/chondroitin/msm and hyaluronic acid, which helps with synovial fluid in between your joints, seems to help. I am on board for any petitions to the FDA or class action suit. Cymbalta is addicting like no other SSRI or SNRI I have been on. No doubt!!

#78 Wanttofeelbetter

Wanttofeelbetter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:11 AM

Jordan,

Can you help me with a plan to get off 30 mgs, like your plan?
It would mean so much to me-Nicole

#79 Danwall

Danwall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIreland
  • why_joining:
    Have SADs

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:33 AM

having worked in Pharmacueticals (engineering) I was under the impression that the time release is obtained from the process of spraying the beads, and that the capsule has no part in the time release, it is merely a container to swallow.

I would hate to see a class action because Cymbalta works for me

#80 JRDN

JRDN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

Jordan,

Can you help me with a plan to get off 30 mgs, like your plan?
It would mean so much to me-Nicole

I can't unfortunatly, the number of beads depends on your location (which distribution point your pharmacy gets it's supply from)

You just have to count the beads in a capsule, and do the math.

1/3 the number of total beads in a 30mg capsule will be 10mg

then divide that by 2, and you have how many beads = 5mg.

#81 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:46 AM

I MADE IT!!!!!!! 90 days ago I started using the bead-counting method to get off 90 mg of Cymbalta. Today I took the last 3 granules, then threw the half-empty bottle of Cymbalta into the garbage, with utter glee!!!

Thanks JDRN. I didn't quite do it your way, but my way worked fine. I had the greatest problems early in my withdrawal (severe fatigue and itching). Towards the end I had very little withdrawal side effects.

My advice to anyone wanting to do it is to be thoroughly determined that you will do it, and that will get you through any side effects. And be sure to use the bead-counting method rather than how drs. tell you to do it (way too fast). Not only do you avoid side effects by withdrawing slowly, but I think you also prevent yourself from being hit in the face with depression again. The body needs time to re-wire the brain gradually. Best of luck to all of you.

#82 Ridew

Ridew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

Hi, I'm new here and I'm very interested in this plan(removing beads)

I'm on 60mg for about 1 and half year and this drug really helped me a lot, but now I'm tired of its side effects.

I need to do the math here because I started weaning using the every other day method and I ended taking a pill each 3 or 4 days. Actually I take the pill when I feel the brain zaps.

Should I take about 20mg a day since I can live whithout any withdawal effects for about 3, 4 or even 5 days? I really need an advice here!

Thank you in advance!

Ridew

#83 Break60

Break60

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

I've been on it for who knows how long: 5-8 yrs? It saved me from the body aches I had for over 15 yrs while on various other drugs. Now I want off due mainly to side effects like insomnia, ED, memory loss, fatigue, drowsiness. I started just 2 days ago going from 120 mg to 90 and main wd symptom is irritability and light headedness. I never heard of taking capsule apart thinking that was dangerous. Are you guys weening off under doctor supervision?

#84 JRDN

JRDN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

I've been on it for who knows how long: 5-8 yrs? It saved me from the body aches I had for over 15 yrs while on various other drugs. Now I want off due mainly to side effects like insomnia, ED, memory loss, fatigue, drowsiness. I started just 2 days ago going from 120 mg to 90 and main wd symptom is irritability and light headedness. I never heard of taking capsule apart thinking that was dangerous. Are you guys weening off under doctor supervision?

No, I'd rather bust open and accurately divide my dose at small increments, than go to a doctor and get a perscription for 30mg pills after just being on 60mg pills for 2 years straight.

Obviously you should check things out with your Doctor. That being said, It's a true shame you can't get this medicine in smaller dosages to aid with weaning. Clearly gradual weaning is necessary to avoid negative withdrawl symptoms, they even warn about it on the label.

It would save alot of trouble if you could get 5mg and 2.5mg pills.

This chemical is serious buisness inside your brain, you need that gradual a reduction. Going from 60mg to 40mg is reckless, unless you consider all the withdrawl symptoms pleasant and fun to go through.

Also, it's a shame doctors (maybe some do, hopefully) don't explain to you before writing that first prescription that SNRI's cause chemical dependencies and gradual withdrawal over the course of a month or two is needed to prevent unwanted side effects when you're done with the medicine.

#85 Break60

Break60

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:28 PM

Yes all these psycho drugs have side effects and are addictive. I found benzo's to be among the worst. My doc has me going from 120 to 90 in one fell swoop ; I hope I can handle it. I'm also on busparone and want to get off that too but we're doing it one at a time!

#86 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

I went from 120 to 90 in one swoop some time ago, and then stayed there for 6 mos., getting up the courage to really try to get off. Then I came to this wonderful site (so helpful!) and took 90 days to get off 90 mg. It worked. I am now psych med free for over a month. This thread by JDRN was my guideline. I suggest you read this thread from top to bottom, Break60 & Ridew. Also, for motivation to get off psych meds, read Robert Whitaker's "Anatomy of an Epidemic," a great book that will provide the motivation you need.

I was a little wobbly when I first got off psych meds. Then I discovered another wonderful book: "5-HTP" by Michael Murray. I'm taking 5-HTP (a serotonin precursor) now instead of psych meds and am very impressed so far (my first week). It really seems to work and no side effects!

Shrinks are well known for pushing people to ruthless tapering (huge cuts in doses). Many of us can't handle that. Take control and manage your own tapering safely with tried and true methods found by actual users on this site! It is unfortunate that it is hard to make gentle cuts due to available doses. That is why we open the capsules and make our own doses. Be sure to put the granules back in the capsule...you need the capsule to get proper delivery of med.

I was once on Cymbalta, Lamictal, Neurontin and Risperdal with a side of benzos. Now I am med free. And I am 62 yr old. If I can get off all that crap (and it was crap) and live happily ever after, anyone can.

Some messmerizing shrink talked me into all of the above with a dx of "bipolar." What crap. I wouldn't go near a shrink or a psych med now. My diagnosis is: intelligent, sensitive human being.

#87 sleepyk

sleepyk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:10 PM

I'm doing something similar. Tried to do what the doctor said and go from 60mg to 30mg. I only made it 3 days before I couldn't stand the withdrawal anymore. So, after reading the posts on this site, I decided to do my own version of the ball count method. The plan:

Each of my 60mg pills have about 200 balls.
I am removing 5 balls a day until I feel withdrawal.

12/18: -5 balls---no symptoms
12/19: -10 balls---no symptoms
12/20: -15 balls---no symptoms
12/21: -20 balls---slight fogginess, decided to keep going
12/22: -25 balls---slight fogginess, decided to keep going

Tomorrow morning I will take out 30 balls, and see how I feel. The idea is that if/when I feel bothersome withdrawal, I will maintain a dose size until the withdrawal dissipates. I prepare my pill every night, and mark the number of balls I take out on the calendar. It feels like an accomplishment.

So far, this has been MUCH better than dropping from 60mg to 30mg. No brain zaps, no flu.

I must note, I have narcolepsy, so I am always sleepy. If I am having fatigue as a symptom, I wouldn't be able to tell.

Not sure if my way is the best way, but ANYTHING is better than the doctor's way.

#88 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:26 AM

Go for it, Sleepyk! The way you're doing it is very similar to the way I did it. I marked each day's dosage on the calendar so I wouldn't get mixed up. I've now been Cymbalta-free a few months and nothing would make me go back on.

Good luck!

#89 Marcia

Marcia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:48 AM

Thanks for the information. I have been on cymbalta for years and have passed off different issues as my emotional difficulties, perimenopause and blah, blah,blah...

after reading the posts I am wondering if much of that is because of this drug. I never thought of actually opening the capsule and start taking out the pellets or whatever they are called. Great idea. I was increased to 90mg but opted to go back to 60mg not realizing that the reason I feel so crappy is because of the drug.

Thank you so much for your hard work and figuring out a great way to get through this terrible process. I have not told my psychiatrist that I plan to get off this medicine but hopefully he will assist with this process.

#90 Marcia

Marcia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:54 AM

I am new to this site and I must say I am so impressed by everyone's determination and am grateful for all the hard work and advise on this withdrawal process.
Thanks so much! Wish me luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users