Photo

Weaning Off Cymbalta Has Been A Positive Experience!

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 elleshabai

elleshabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:03 PM

I have been been on depression medicine for over 4 years. I originally started on Effexor and was switched to Cymbalta after a couple of years of that dosage being increased and causing more problems than helping. In January of this year, I went to my doctor for my annual and said I was experiencing bouts of depression and issues which he then switched me from 60 mg to 90 mg of Cymbalta.

At the beginning of May our son who is in the Army came home from Kuwait for R & R. One night my husband said Jake had asked him if I was alright. The bottom line was he said he could tell something was wrong and I wasn't myself. Of course when I knew they had been talking about me, my defenses went up and I started to cry as it just made me feel like I was weird. I knew I wasn't myself but to have someone I love actually comment on it hurt to my core. The next morning after I regrouped I sat down with husband and thanked him for telling me.

When I was originally diagnosed with depression many set backs were occurring in our life. My husband's business failed after many years of great financial success, we were definetely in a place where we were going to lose our beloved ranch along with all of our horses and selling off most of our belongings that were worth anything just to survive. Although we have 4 children through my husbands previous marriage we then were told that we would not have our own children. I married in my mid thirties and always thought I would have my own children but this would not be the case. Regardless, I was not coping with all of these major life changes and was diagnosed with major depression.

The fact that I was even diagnosed was completely troubling to me. I had always been a happy person and was very distraught by the news. Getting on the Effexor made me feel strange through the first couple of weeks. Needless to say you get use to it and life starts to get better. Then all the strange thoughts creep in after being on it for awhile and the doctor just increases the dosage. Long story short, after the conversation our son had with my husband, I reflected on our current situation and realized that all the things that use to trouble me are no longer a factor. I began to think that maybe the strange thoughts and feelings were actually coming from the medicine itself.

I found this site which frightened me about the withdrawal syptoms. After discussing this with my doctor, on May 14th, 2011 I reduced my Cymbalta down to 60 mg, last Saturday I reduced to 30 mg. I have had none of the symptoms that are documented in this forum. My mind is clearer and my personality has re-emerged. I'm functioning better personally with family and friends and doing well at work. My biggest concern has been why didn't my doctors talk to me about ever getting off the medicine. I have felt like I was suppose to be on the meds forever. I can't tell you how happy I am to have made this decision for not only myself but especially for my husband. The woman that he married has come back to him and I can only tell you that this makes us both so happy. It has been a difficult thing for him to deal with my mood swings and feelings of despair although he has always been there for me. I'm not weaned off completely but I did want other people to know that I have had no bad symptoms of weaning off except a clearer mind and feeling optimistic about my life for the first time in years.

#2 adminKen

adminKen

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBoston MA
  • why_joining:
    I'm the founder and I built this site to better understand the withdrawal effects of Cymbalta of someone who was close to me.

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:52 AM

Elle, very glad to hear a positive story about getting off Cymbalta. There are lots of times on this site that people write in how they were only told about how this drug would solve their problems and never a chance to get off of it or even talk about an exit plan.

Very happy you shared your story with us. Good luck.

#3 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:12 PM

I didn´t experience any symptoms reducing from 60 to 30mg either. As you said I also felt more energy. Problems began when I reduced from 30mg to lower dosages.

#4 elleshabai

elleshabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:59 PM

I didn´t experience any symptoms reducing from 60 to 30mg either. As you said I also felt more energy. Problems began when I reduced from 30mg to lower dosages.

Well I'm sorry to say I wrote the original post on Thursday evening before I left work. Since then, yesterday and today have been not so promising as my previous post. I've had bouts of crying, overwhelmed at work where I had to check off the phone to regroup. I've been very irritated with my husband and snapping at him. All the joy I had been feeling is gone. I've slept most of the day while everyone else is enjoying the beautiful day. I hate this more than I could ever say. I'll keep ya'll posted and don't plan to reduce from the 30 mg until this all settle downs. Urgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

#5 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:10 PM

Dear Elleshabai:
I have weaned slowly for 1 year. I had a long list of emotional and physical symptoms. But to tell you the truth they were manageable, up to now. I am experiencing seizures (which are new to me) and relapse of original symptoms full force. The symptoms I am experiencing are way heavier, than those from when cymbalta was prescribed. I had to updose, and will wait until I feel better, before making any decisions

#6 elleshabai

elleshabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:50 AM

I was having a very rough time for 24 hour period when I posted last and actually forced myself to get out that Saturday and visit family and friends at a camp site. My husband was shocked that I wanted to go under the circumstances but I just wanted to push through it. Unfortunately that night I felt like my head was going to expolode when we were coming home until I fell asleep.

The last two weeks have been fine with no unusual symptoms. I went back to feeling great about everything and optimistic about the future. Work is going well and I'm working out again which was something I just couldn't get myself to do without a great deal of effort. I am now taking 30 mg of the Cymbalta every other day. I took one 30 mg on Thursday morning and did not take another one until I woke up this morning as I was feeling a little disoriented and feel a little funny. (This is the longest period of time between doeses.) It's approximately two hours since taking and I'm feeling alot better and will continue with our plans for the rest of the day. :)

I don't have the symptoms of the brain zaps and other things other people mention in their posts. So for the moment all is well. I am still optimistic that getting off this medicine is the best decision I've ever made for myself, my husband and our family. Until next time, may God keep his hand on all of us trying to get off this medicine. Just know that when you take the focus off yourself and put your energy into other people and their needs this seems to make this experience more successful and tolerable.

#7 brainzaphell

brainzaphell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

First, I am glad to hear the Cymbalta is helping you with your symptoms. Depression can be very difficult to deal with and difficult to find something that helps improve the symptoms. However, I think you haven't experienced any terrible withdrawal symptoms because you are still at a taking at least some of the medicine within a 48 hour period. The symptoms seem to appear after complete cessation. Also, the medicine has a short half-life so your body recognized quickly that the medicine is missing. (within 24 hours usually)

I have been on 60mg for over 3 years and have been doing really well and things are good in my life so I decided to start cutting back. My doctor gave me suggestions on how to slowly reduce. I was down to less than 1/4 of a 60 mg capsule (probably about 10 mg) once a day. I did this for over a month. I then tried to stop taking it and by that evening of not taking the dose I started getting light-headed. Finally, 8 days ago I decided to bite the bullet and stop taking it. It has been horrible. After talking with a friend, I realized my headaches were the so-called brain zaps. I realized yesterday they are fired up by turning my head left or right or moving my eyes left or right. I have also been irritable, easily angered, and unable to focus very well. It just sucks.

#8 Kenny

Kenny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

great to hear a positive experience!

#9 elleshabai

elleshabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:49 AM

Thank you Kenny, for your positive response. I also appreciate the Administrator's encouraging response as the purpose of me taking the time to even participate in this site is to encourage each and every one of you that you can get off this medicine.

I feel supported and encouraged to continue to fight the battle so people can know we don't have to subject ourselves to the diagnosis of depression as a lifetime label. Just because you once were depressed doesn't make it so for your entire life. Just because a doctor wrote a prescription for you one day several years ago and then never even considered maybe you don't need to be on the medicine anymore doesn't mean you're still depressed. In many cases, some people are clinically depressed and this information is not for you. I have great compassion and empathy for all of us who were diagnosed with depression and the consequences this diagnosis brings along for not only ourselves but our loved ones, friends and co-workers.

One thing I do know from sharing this with other women at work is that very few women in my office are not taking something for depression. That was shocking to me! That right there was the biggest red flag... How can we all be depressed and taking drugs for this diagnosis. It's a real sad state that the medical community has made "depression" the norm for the majority of people. It's a business that benefits doctors and the pharmeceutical companies at the expense of our own sanity and financial resources. I'm just not buying into it anymore. I may not have a college degree but if there is one thing I do have going for me it is that I do have common sense.

I mean it! I feel passionate about this. This medicine makes you a shell of who you really are. It masks your personality where the focus is always on how you're feeling. Your family members have to learn to adjust to how to react to you because you're "depressed". Even if you considered yourself a giver, rather than a taker prior to the medicine, anyone taking this knows you're unable to truly reach out to other's like you may have been able to do so before. I know this first hand and with this being out of my system for 10 days, I am more angry about the fact that I somehow thought I would always suffer from "Depression" and have to take something for it.

First let me say, this has not been an easy road. It has not been a bed of roses getting off this medicine and I refuse to start taking even 1 mg ever again. The last doasage I took was on Monday, June 20th at 1:30 a.m. It had been 5 days since I took 60 mg. I woke up feeling like I was suffocating and my mind was racing. I felt panicked and although I didn't want to take the Cymbalta, I did take 60 mg with a half of .05 mg of xanax. This put me to sleep and I woke up feeling fine.

Today is Wednesday, June 29th. I have not taken Cymbalta since Monday, June 20th. That is 9 days without the drug. I do take a quarter or half of .05 mg of xanax (alprozalam - generic) when I start to feel overwhelmed or anxious. This is one of the lowest doses of this product for anxiety which helps specifically when I am at work.

Yesterday, I was feeling irritated and began focusing on everything that is wrong. I definetly woke up on the wrong side of the bed and struggled with this the whole day. Was that just one one of those days that we have or am I succumbing back to being "depressed"? My feeling is I don't know but rushing back to the Cymbalta is not an option for me at this point. I am eating more healthfully and one thing I do know from all the reading about depression is that we are suppose to exercise regularly. So rather than pop another Cymbalta, I'm headed to the gym to regulate my system with something I believe is a more positive approach. Am I looking forward to going to the gym? No, but that is where I'm headed.

No one on this site is a "know it all". I'm just sharing my story. One thing I do know is that encouraging one another regardless of where we are in our journey with depression is the kindest and most helpful thing we can do for one another. On another note, I have received two awards at work for the past two months for providing outstanding customer exeperience and this not something I have received in a long time. Those two months were when I was weaning off this medicine. I'm no brain surgeon but seems like there's a connection to me! Until next time... :)

#10 elleshabai

elleshabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:16 AM

First, I am glad to hear the Cymbalta is helping you with your symptoms. Depression can be very difficult to deal with and difficult to find something that helps improve the symptoms. However, I think you haven't experienced any terrible withdrawal symptoms because you are still at a taking at least some of the medicine within a 48 hour period. The symptoms seem to appear after complete cessation. Also, the medicine has a short half-life so your body recognized quickly that the medicine is missing. (within 24 hours usually)

I have been on 60mg for over 3 years and have been doing really well and things are good in my life so I decided to start cutting back. My doctor gave me suggestions on how to slowly reduce. I was down to less than 1/4 of a 60 mg capsule (probably about 10 mg) once a day. I did this for over a month. I then tried to stop taking it and by that evening of not taking the dose I started getting light-headed. Finally, 8 days ago I decided to bite the bullet and stop taking it. It has been horrible. After talking with a friend, I realized my headaches were the so-called brain zaps. I realized yesterday they are fired up by turning my head left or right or moving my eyes left or right. I have also been irritable, easily angered, and unable to focus very well. It just sucks.

I'm sorry you have been having such a bad spell since stopping completely. I know it sucks and can relate to the easily angered and being irritable as I had that feeling all day yesterday. I wish you the best with your journey!

#11 elleshabai

elleshabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

Today is my 16th day without Cymbalta. I am happy to say I am doing well and am not feeling depressed, discourged, angry or anything out of the ordinary. In fact, I am flourishing in all areas of my life which I could not say when I was taking this medicine. I would say at this point I am completely weaned and could not be any more proud of the decision I made to get of this medicine.

The Alaprozalam (xanax) .05 mg definitely helped when weaning to lower doses when feeling anxious. I only took this occasionally when I felt I was struggling. Something I have not mentioned in my other posts which I believe was the key to all of this was prayer. "With God All Things Are Possible".

The purpose of me participating in this website was to track my journey for myself and to help others. Mine is a success story. As I close my last post, I would like to say everyone who is on this site is not depressed for life. I had accepted for years that I would always be "clinically depressed". Bottom line... I am not.

For those of you who are thinking.....well it's only been two weeks....I say, "Be happy for me!" I'm done with the days of being negative and down. Life is too short and at 48 years old...soon to be 49 in a couple of weeks, I feel better than I have in years and I'm in menopause! Getting of Cymbalta is the greatest gift I could have ever received this year, not only for myself but my husband, family and co-workers. Good luck to each and every one of you. I pray that my experience will encourage you to believe and understand that if I can do it...anybody can do it. Depression does not have to be a life a sentence. At least not for some of us. The choice is yours. May God give you the strength, determination and wisdom that he granted me. Sincerely, Elle :)

#12 JenBR

JenBR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

hi,

I read these posts and wondered how you have been doing since your last post?

Best,
Jen

oday is my 16th day without Cymbalta. I am happy to say I am doing well and am not feeling depressed, discourged, angry or anything out of the ordinary. In fact, I am flourishing in all areas of my life which I could not say when I was taking this medicine. I would say at this point I am completely weaned and could not be any more proud of the decision I made to get of this medicine.

The Alaprozalam (xanax) .05 mg definitely helped when weaning to lower doses when feeling anxious. I only took this occasionally when I felt I was struggling. Something I have not mentioned in my other posts which I believe was the key to all of this was prayer. "With God All Things Are Possible".

The purpose of me participating in this website was to track my journey for myself and to help others. Mine is a success story. As I close my last post, I would like to say everyone who is on this site is not depressed for life. I had accepted for years that I would always be "clinically depressed". Bottom line... I am not.

For those of you who are thinking.....well it's only been two weeks....I say, "Be happy for me!" I'm done with the days of being negative and down. Life is too short and at 48 years old...soon to be 49 in a couple of weeks, I feel better than I have in years and I'm in menopause! Getting of Cymbalta is the greatest gift I could have ever received this year, not only for myself but my husband, family and co-workers. Good luck to each and every one of you. I pray that my experience will encourage you to believe and understand that if I can do it...anybody can do it. Depression does not have to be a life a sentence. At least not for some of us. The choice is yours. May God give you the strength, determination and wisdom that he granted me. Sincerely, Elle :)
[/quote]

#13 elleshabai

elleshabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

It has been months since I checked in and I am so happy to see all the views. I also hope that my story continues to encourage each of you

Today is October 5th and I just checked in and saw Jen's post from August wondering how I have been doing so I thought I'd give an update.

I'm doing great! Getting off all anti-depressants has been the best decision I have ever done. I am not depressed and doing better in every area of my life. Spiritually, mentally and physically. I'm taking better care of myself and taking responsibility for myself, my words, my moods by turning the things that do trouble me over to God. My mind is more clear than it's been in years and since my last post I have been promoted and just passed my Series 6 licensing this past Monday.

I am in full blown menopause now but that hasn't been too much of a problem for me. Maybe a little bit for my husband! LOL!

I really want to emphasize that while on the medicine I was always focused on how I felt and always trying to cope with things, always feeling like a victim. Being off it I have been able to take the focus off myself and put it where it belongs....on those around me. I haven't seen my doctor at all and won't have my yearly physical until the beginning of January. When I think about where I was this past January when he upped my dosage and where I am today it seems like a lifetime ago.

If your circumstances have changed since being diagnosed with depression please know that there is no reason to accept a lifetime of being "labeled depressed" just because a doctor told you. In some cases, I do believe that people need to be on medicine but certainly not every other woman or man you encounter in a day which seems to be the case at least at my work and circle of acquaintences. That right there is red flag. Why in the world would we all be depressed! It's a racket, a business and I'm so glad I removed myself from the claws of the parmeceutical industry and doctors who never addressed getting off the medicine for years. If you fit into the same category as I maybe you too can get your life back. God can give you all the answers you need, you just need to turn to him and ask. He won't let you down.

Remember who you were before the events that forced you to see a doctor in the first place. Remember when you weren't "depressed" and never thought of yourself that way before. You are what you think you are and there are other alternatives than popping a pill. If I could get off taking this medicine anybody can. It wasn't easy but then again is anything that is of any worth. Think about it! May God bless each and every one of you with his love, comfort and care. He is the one who continues to help me with my struggles. He was faithful to me even when I was not faithful to Him. God shows us mercy and wants to help us...we just have to ask. Good luck and God Speed! EW

#14 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:42 PM

Hello Elleshabai:
How long ago did you quit? how was your tapering plan? what withdrawal symptoms did you encounter and what you did to overcome them? how long do withdrawls last?
Any advice will be helpful

#15 elleshabai

elleshabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:30 PM

Hi!

Trying to check in as courtesy to help and saw your post. If you read my posts from the beginning to end I do explain real-time where I was at and what dosage. I started right around Memorial Day Weekend. I was on Cymbalta 90 mg for months and decreased in increments of 30 mg. When I started to wean I went from 90 mg to 60 mg the weekend I started and didn't go down to 30 mg until I felt like I could. Then after being on 30 mg went down to that dosage every other day until it was twice a week. When I felt like I could stop completely I just did. Please read the posts if you would as the time frames are listed as to when I made the posts. It wasn't easy and I did have my moments getting off it but not like the posts I was reading with brain zaps and all of that.

Life is so much better and I wish you all the best in your journey. :)

#16 CindiEponabri

CindiEponabri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationWashington state
  • why_joining:
    To get off of Cymbalta, just the beginning of getting my body clean and sober and off of all of the medications that doctors insisted I needed.

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:40 AM

Please keep sharing elleshabai. I am getting a lot from reading about your experiences.

Cindi

#17 elleshabai

elleshabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:11 AM

It is Sunday, October 30th and I have a new revalation to share. My original prescription for Cymbalta came from my gynecologist. I mentioned that I was in menopause and my annual is always in January. Last January, that same doctor put me on Activella which he prescribes to everyone who is entering menopause or in it. It is a hormone replacement. I was having no symptoms of menopause other than missing a few periods. Now, this past month I ran out of my prescription and neglected to refill.

The result of being off this has been nothing less than a miracle. Ask my husband. The anger that use to quickly rise to the surface has disappeared. I couldn't get mad like that if you paid me nor talk to my husband the way I would on occasion. Bottom line, it is negligent for doctor's to prescribe medication we really don't need. The kicker on all of this is.....guess who just had a period this month. Unbelievable!!!

The point of this post is to state that doctors are definitely doing a disservice to all of us prescribing medication we do not need. I realize this is a Cymbalta website but this new development only solidifies the point. Had I not just run out, I would have never been able to put two and two together. Please don't take prescription drugs for life just because your doctor issues them. Now, I can honestly say I am truly back to myself. :) Not only am I so thankful but my husband as you can imagine is thrilled! I thought I should mention that I am doing just fine from being off the Cymbalta. I have absolutely no symptoms of depression. I am doing well at work and in my home life. I pray that each and everyone of you who wants to get off this stuff will do so successfully. For me it was making the decision to get off it and doing it. Taking the good with the bad until I was completely weaned off. Read the earlier posts to learn how I accomplished this. You can do it! Happy Halloween!

#18 elleshabai

elleshabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

It is January 19th and I've popped back in after seeing this website on my favorites. For all of you who are wondering how I'm doing, I am doing just fine. It has been less than a year off of the Cymbalta and getting off this medicine has given me my life back. Although I was diagnosed with depression, I am living proof that you can take your life back and you do not have to continue taking medication just because a doctor prescribed it for you at a time when you really were "depressed". It does not have to be a life sentence is the main thing I wanted to restate. As I have said in earlier posts, there is no way that all of us are clinically depressed although there are some people who are. For those people this post is not for you. For the countless other people, getting off Cymbalta is a choice. It is a decision to take matters into your own hands.

Personally, I have been thriving since getting off Cymbalta. I think more clearly and have excelled at work and just got promoted. I am closer to my husband and I am not as focused on myself as I was when on the medicine. With God's help, prayer... and weaning off in a responsible manner I was able to take my life back. Please read my earlier posts and be encouraged as to how you too can do it. May God bless each and every one of you. EW :)

#19 Heather

Heather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

So nice to see a light at the end of the tunnel! Thank you so much for updating with your posts. You give hope where there seems to be very little. :)

#20 Jenni

Jenni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:38 AM

Thank you so much for taking the time to encourage us all. I was on Cymbalta for over 7 years. It was a wonder drug for my long-term depression but, a few months ago, I started asking my specialist when I would be stopping it. To give this man his due, he has seen me at my lowest point, he was one of my caregivers when I was in hospital, he is a very caring good man. BUT, he doesn't want to rock the boat, he would rather that I kept taking the meds rather than risk a relapse. My situation is very different from 7 years ago. I was working in a very high pressure environment and now I am a stay at home mum (different challenges!). So, I talked to my family doctor who suggested I reduce from 90to 60 and see how it went. Another member of the psych team supported that decision esp in the light of the fact that we would like to have another baby (First baby was a Cymbalta baby and is a very normal, smart 4yo).

That was in November and I followed all his advice and tapered off, having a few weeks at each level. Last week, I started going from 30 to zero and, as my doctor warned me, it was tougher than any other reduction. Unfortunately, my husband had to go overseas for a few days on business this week and I have had one of the worst, most angry, most volatile weeks ever. I have been crying lots, unable to cope with anything, screaming at the wonderful little 4yo. BUT, this morning I decided not to cancel my hairdresser appointment (I wanted to stay home and cry). I dropped 4yo off at daycare, put on some noisy music in the car to sing along to, went to the hairdresser and pretended everything was ok - chatted about Christmas, skiing, etc. I feel so much better. I think your suggestion of exercising is a great one. I did find, at the other reduction points, that distracting myself was a great help. I am going to try faking it until I make it and hopefully make it over this hurdle. I am also going to try to stop dealing with the nausea with chocolate and cakes....

#21 Kynurse

Kynurse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

I am so happy (something I haven't felt for a while) to have found everyone on here. I am 30 years old, was in the best shape of my life, and a happy married mother of 2 awesome kids. Then I learned that my husband and best friend had an affair and the whole time that I was suspicious, were accusing me of being paranoid. After I learned the truth, I became very self conscious and angry. The day the I cried in a store because I felt like strangers were laughing at me I made an appt. My family dr. (who delivered me) prescribed Cymbalta. I reminded him that I didn't want anything I would become dependent on, just needed to get through this time. When i took the (very expensive) drug, I felt like my"old self!" I had energy! I didn't want to pummel my husband. We have since decided to work things out, but have stumbled upon some financial difficulty, so I decided to stop taking cymbalta. I also found myself in a situation in which I knew that I should have been LIVID, but felt only numbness. I knew it was time to stop. Being a nurse, I thought I could wean myself, especially since I was only taking 30mg for 3 months. Was I ever wrong! I feel like I'm in a constant state of"hangover". Nauseated at all times, unable to eat or tolerate ANY physical activity. Short tempered with my children and husband. And the so-called "brain zaps" are debilitating. This is my 4th day without medication. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. As for me, I guess I'll go back to sleep, which is all I can manage to do (and only until a vivid dream wakes me).

#22 elleshabai

elleshabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

So nice to see a light at the end of the tunnel! Thank you so much for updating with your posts. You give hope where there seems to be very little. :)

I never would have thought 8 months ago that I would have been giving anybody hope! That goes to show that "With God all things are possible". I wish you the a safe journey through this time and please know there really is that light at the end of the tunnel. Praying that God will bless you the way he has blessed me.

#23 elleshabai

elleshabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

I am so happy (something I haven't felt for a while) to have found everyone on here. I am 30 years old, was in the best shape of my life, and a happy married mother of 2 awesome kids. Then I learned that my husband and best friend had an affair and the whole time that I was suspicious, were accusing me of being paranoid. After I learned the truth, I became very self conscious and angry. The day the I cried in a store because I felt like strangers were laughing at me I made an appt. My family dr. (who delivered me) prescribed Cymbalta. I reminded him that I didn't want anything I would become dependent on, just needed to get through this time. When i took the (very expensive) drug, I felt like my"old self!" I had energy! I didn't want to pummel my husband. We have since decided to work things out, but have stumbled upon some financial difficulty, so I decided to stop taking cymbalta. I also found myself in a situation in which I knew that I should have been LIVID, but felt only numbness. I knew it was time to stop. Being a nurse, I thought I could wean myself, especially since I was only taking 30mg for 3 months. Was I ever wrong! I feel like I'm in a constant state of"hangover". Nauseated at all times, unable to eat or tolerate ANY physical activity. Short tempered with my children and husband. And the so-called "brain zaps" are debilitating. This is my 4th day without medication. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. As for me, I guess I'll go back to sleep, which is all I can manage to do (and only until a vivid dream wakes me).

Please know that you have gone for 4 days. If you have to take a dose twice a week, please do so. You may not be ready to go cold turkey so to speak.

I am so sorry for your heart ache and pain. If you haven't seen a marriage counselor if you are back together, I recommend that you do so. The reason being is that there must be appropriate boundaries for your own healing and he must honor and respect that. Don't accept anything less.

Regarding feeling terrible. Go get some exercise....force yourself...do something for someone who appreciates you...this will make you feel good and in return they will show you love. I pray for God's loving touch on your emotional health and and on your marriage.

#24 elleshabai

elleshabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

It has been a year since getting off Cymbalta completely. I wanted to post to lend support to those of you trying to get off this drug. You can do it and I can tell you that my life has improved tremendously since getting off all medication. I never realized how badly it was affecting me in a negative way personally and professionally. Please read my posts from the beginning to learn how you too can be free of this drug that literally sucks the very life out of you. I wish you all the best in your efforts to wean off this drug. You can do it! Wean slowly, take care of yourself physcially by getting alot of exercise. Take care of yourself spiritually and ask for God's help as He will help you. He will give you the strength as with God ALL things are possible. Give yourself the gift of having your life back! You won't regret it.
:)

#25 foxfree

foxfree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

I wanted to add my comments because it appears that (logically) only people experiencing withdrawal symptoms will be posting. This was frightening to me when I made the decision to get off this drug. A couple of weeks ago, I decided it was time. I was a wreck about discontinuing only because of what I have read on this and other similar forums. So far, no problems at all. I don't think I'm an exception, rather I think that people like me who do not experience withdrawal symptoms would have no reason to look for a site like this. Instead of dropping my dosage, my doctor recommended that I go from 60 mg. daily, to 60 mg. every other day for two weeks. Then to cut back to every three days for 2 weeks, then discontinue. Oddly, the first day that I did not take my usual dose, I felt GREAT!! When I took the 60 mg. the following day, I experienced a lot of anxiety and nausea. Then day three (off again) I felt fantastic. So much so, that day four, I also skipped. Same for day 5 (today). I feel really good....so much so, that I don't want to take another dose tomorrow, so I think I'm going to just stop! I have had no brain zaps, no depression, no anger, or any of the other reported withdrawal symptoms. I realize it's only been 5 days, and I will continue to report my progress, but at the end of the day, I know my body better than my doctor or anyone else. This drug helped me getting through a rough few months, and also cleared up my peripheral neuropathy pain. It did what it was intended to do and now I'm ready to move forward without it. I wanted people to know that so far for me (and I assume many others) there may not be this overwhelming withdrawal problem. I'll update as more time goes by as I realize I'm only 5 days free, but so far, so good!

#26 Moin

Moin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:40 AM

I have been on this medicine for 15 months now. I have tried many times to quit but ended up in Cardiac ER and that scared me.

I found this forum 2 days back and i have been doing a lot of reading on the ways of weaning this s**t off... I was scared and not convinced much... but after reading your excellent and encouraging experience, i find motivation..

Thanks for sharing

#27 DonMH

DonMH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationPeachland,B.C., Canada
  • why_joining:
    My wife is suffering from major Cymbalta withdrawals.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

Dearr Elle
Thank you for your most helpful and most positive post. Welcome on -board. My wife was having the same excruciating headaches when she came off it . Sue, like you, was very successful but as one of the first female priests in the UK. So many tragedies occurred in our lives over the past 4 years that she had a major "burn-out" and has been in and out of hospital for close on 4 years.
You are so right --trying to look at the situation from an outsider's point of view, i now see a pattern of behaviour, which was drug -induced rather than the body' stress responses to life-changing occurrences. I am so tired at present, I will be in touch later. Sorry. God bless you in your fight against this terrible drug.
Don

Thank you Kenny, for your positive response. I also appreciate the Administrator's encouraging response as the purpose of me taking the time to even participate in this site is to encourage each and every one of you that you can get off this medicine.

I feel supported and encouraged to continue to fight the battle so people can know we don't have to subject ourselves to the diagnosis of depression as a lifetime label. Just because you once were depressed doesn't make it so for your entire life. Just because a doctor wrote a prescription for you one day several years ago and then never even considered maybe you don't need to be on the medicine anymore doesn't mean you're still depressed. In many cases, some people are clinically depressed and this information is not for you. I have great compassion and empathy for all of us who were diagnosed with depression and the consequences this diagnosis brings along for not only ourselves but our loved ones, friends and co-workers.

One thing I do know from sharing this with other women at work is that very few women in my office are not taking something for depression. That was shocking to me! That right there was the biggest red flag... How can we all be depressed and taking drugs for this diagnosis. It's a real sad state that the medical community has made "depression" the norm for the majority of people. It's a business that benefits doctors and the pharmeceutical companies at the expense of our own sanity and financial resources. I'm just not buying into it anymore. I may not have a college degree but if there is one thing I do have going for me it is that I do have common sense.

I mean it! I feel passionate about this. This medicine makes you a shell of who you really are. It masks your personality where the focus is always on how you're feeling. Your family members have to learn to adjust to how to react to you because you're "depressed". Even if you considered yourself a giver, rather than a taker prior to the medicine, anyone taking this knows you're unable to truly reach out to other's like you may have been able to do so before. I know this first hand and with this being out of my system for 10 days, I am more angry about the fact that I somehow thought I would always suffer from "Depression" and have to take something for it.

First let me say, this has not been an easy road. It has not been a bed of roses getting off this medicine and I refuse to start taking even 1 mg ever again. The last doasage I took was on Monday, June 20th at 1:30 a.m. It had been 5 days since I took 60 mg. I woke up feeling like I was suffocating and my mind was racing. I felt panicked and although I didn't want to take the Cymbalta, I did take 60 mg with a half of .05 mg of xanax. This put me to sleep and I woke up feeling fine.

Today is Wednesday, June 29th. I have not taken Cymbalta since Monday, June 20th. That is 9 days without the drug. I do take a quarter or half of .05 mg of xanax (alprozalam - generic) when I start to feel overwhelmed or anxious. This is one of the lowest doses of this product for anxiety which helps specifically when I am at work.

Yesterday, I was feeling irritated and began focusing on everything that is wrong. I definetly woke up on the wrong side of the bed and struggled with this the whole day. Was that just one one of those days that we have or am I succumbing back to being "depressed"? My feeling is I don't know but rushing back to the Cymbalta is not an option for me at this point. I am eating more healthfully and one thing I do know from all the reading about depression is that we are suppose to exercise regularly. So rather than pop another Cymbalta, I'm headed to the gym to regulate my system with something I believe is a more positive approach. Am I looking forward to going to the gym? No, but that is where I'm headed.

No one on this site is a "know it all". I'm just sharing my story. One thing I do know is that encouraging one another regardless of where we are in our journey with depression is the kindest and most helpful thing we can do for one another. On another note, I have received two awards at work for the past two months for providing outstanding customer exeperience and this not something I have received in a long time. Those two months were when I was weaning off this medicine. I'm no brain surgeon but seems like there's a connection to me! Until next time... :)

#28 elleshabai

elleshabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

I'm currently sitting here studying for my Securities Licensing and was going through my Favorite Tabs as I took a break.  It has just been over two years since I wrote my original post deciding to get off Cymbalta.  And, it is the best thing I ever did!

I encourage anyone who wants to get off Cymbalta to read the string of posts as to how I accomplished this goal.  Two years later I take absolutely no prescribed medication.  Since getting off Cymbalta, my life has improved in every area.

When I went searching for this post, it made me sad to see all the negative experiences people are encountering who can't get off this drug.  Some people need to be on medication, personally I believe most people do not.  I still believe and will say it again, just because a doctor diagnosed you as being "Depressed" or "Suffering from Depression", doesn't mean it is a life sentence and that you should stay on medication for years.  Try to recall when you weren't on Cymbalta.  Think about who you were prior to being diagnosed with depression.  Remember when life wasn't a struggle all the time and when you were actually somewhat content and happy.  

Now think about how you feel on this drug.  My recollection of how I felt on this drug was questioning myself all the time, a feeling of unworthiness, often sad and feeling negative about life and towards myself.  I did not have a normal level of self worth or self esteem.  I found myself constantly having conversations in my head and thinking the worse about my circumstances, my ability and my relationships.  I didn't believe I was capable of much. On Cymbalta, I felt like my husband  was always judging me and I was overly sensitive to anything he said.  I didn't trust other people or myself.  I was always afraid someone would find out that I was not all together and was struggling every minute of every day.  Let's fast forward...

Two years later.  I just celebrated my 12 year Anniversary with my husband who is a wonderful man.   I know he believes in me and when he says anything to me, I realize he is not my enemy but my best friend in the world. At 50, I look and feel better than I ever have.  More importantly, I have confidence in who I am and don't question myself all the time.  I am about to celebrate my 5th year at my job and am a valued employee of this firm.  When I was taking Cymbalta, I was struggling at work and even ended up on probation which is unbelievable looking back on this.  It seems like a lifetime ago.

I encourage anyone who can remember a time when they weren't depressed and their life was just fine for many years prior to their diagnosis to just make the decision to get off this and all other medications that alter your way of thinking.  It will change your life forever.  It changed mine and you too can get your life back.   You are responsible for who you are and the simple adjustments of eating healthy, exercise and prayer can bring you back to the person God created you to be.  Ask the Lord for His help and He will help you.   With God all things are possible~  Good luck and God Bless!  :)

#29 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:
    to share my experience and to ask for help

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

thank you Elleshabai, for coming back to tell us this, and to encourage us. many here are at the start of their journey off, or have only been off for a couple of months (including myself). 

it is lovely for us to see that there is life after Cymbalta, and gives us hope.

#30 sk8mom

sk8mom

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • why_joining:
    I want to get off cymbalta...I hope to find a way to do it as easy as possible and be able to help other people afterwards.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

Wonderful to hear !  Thank you for coming back, we need to hear these successes :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users