• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 bigmamma

bigmamma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:39 PM

I am going through the process of weaning off Cymbalta. What a nightmare drug!! I took Effexor 37.5 mg for about 4 years and noticed a slow weight gain (about 15 lbs.) over the years. I never thought it was the medication until I started reading some information on the web about Effexor side effects. When I tried to wean off Effexor, the side effects were worse than the drug so I went back on it. I asked my Dr. to switch me to another med that might be easier to wean off and she switched me to Cymbalta 30 mg. I gained 10 lbs in 5 weeks and knew immediately it must be the med. So now I'm following the advice of another poster to this site (sorry, can't remember who) and so far I'm doing okay. For the past week, I've taken 15mg each morning along with Super B Complex (Nature Made) and 5-HTP (Natrol). I take the B Complex and 5-HTP in the morning and at night before bed and it really helps. I'm getting ready to step down again to 7.5 mg starting tomorrow and have my fingers crossed that all goes well. I'm hoping after a week at 7.5 mg, I can quit all together without stepping down again.

My question is to all of you that gained weight on Cymbalta and then quit the med. Did the weight naturally come off or did you have to work really hard? How long did it take and what did you do to lose the weight? I'm so frustrated because I wanted to lose a few pounds before going on Cymbalta and now my situation is even worse than before. My kids keep asking me to go to the pool with them but I don't even want to put on a bathing suit. Arghhhhhh!

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

I gained 50lbs on cymbalta. When I started weaning the weight started to naturally come off. However, since quitting the medication was part of me, trying to be healthier, I also started to eat more healthy and exercise. Nutrition and exercise, help me to wean.
I got very close to 0mg, but had to updose because I wasn´t feeling well in the last drop. Since I updose, I´ve gained weight.

#3 bigmamma

bigmamma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:02 AM

Thanks for your reply. There is hope that when I am off this crazy med, that the weight will begin to naturally come off. Just a suggestion ... try taking 5-HTP if you are not already. I'm taking that plus a Super B Complex vitamin both in the morning and again at night and I am having no terrible side effects from the weaning process. I stepped down from 30 mg to 15mg for 1 week, then today stepped down again to 7.5 mg. So far, so good. I feel a little foggy and tired, but that's it.

#4 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:36 PM

Hello Bigmamma:
I´m definitely going to try 5-Htp but not while I am taking cymbalta. I´ll wait until I am completely off. Because I´ve read both together can have interactions and produce serotonin syndrome. I am down to 4,8mg. However I am going slow. I make weekly small drops to let my body/brain adjust. Could you describe what you meant by "foggy and tired"??? I ask you this because I had extreme fatigue and horrible brain fog for 2 months. Surprinsingly it went away when I started B complex and fish oil. I never got to know what was causing the fatigue and brain fog. I didn´t relate it to cymbalta withdrawal. I think it was something else. But now that you mention it I would like you to describe what you felt.

#5 bigmamma

bigmamma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:57 AM

Brain fog for me is that I just can't concentrate. I find myself staring at my computer for hours without accomplishing anything. As for the fatigue, I just want to sleep all day. I force myself to stay up, but I'm not at all productive.

Now you've scared me. What is serotonin syndrome? I can't imagine not taking the 5HTP. I thought that is what was helping me get through this withdrawal, but maybe I'm wrong.

#6 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:23 PM

Brain Fog for me is feeling something weird in my brain, like it is heavier, I feel confused, it is hard to speak (find words to speak), it´s like energy/blood is not flowing properly in my brain. Fatigue for me can be general or it can come in attacks
I am not a doctor, but serotonin syndrome is having too much serotonin (when taking 2 medications that work on this same neurotrasmitter). But you are only taking 7,5mg so it shouldn´t be a problem. If 5-htp is working for you, keep on taking it. Just be cautious.

#7 meri

meri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:57 AM

I have wanted to get off of cymbalta for a long time, but due to my work situation, I stayed on it - very toxic situation. After leaving the job, I am at 30 mg from 60 in a month. I am taking 10 balls out of the 60 mg capsules per week now which is 3.25 milligrams and that is all I can handle without getting horrible headaches. I am going to do that until I am off of the cymbalta. I gained 35 pounds on cymbalta. I was hoping that I could just cut down and lose weight, but my weight isn't dropping at all and I have started working out regularly and I am typically not a big eater. Fish oil helped with withdrawal. I read somewhere that the fish oil helps to make something that the brain isn't making when on anti-depressants and needs to start making again -(this comment is for the lady who was asking about brain fog as i have experienced that feeling, but I just looked at it as being sick from the withdrawals.) I wish the weight would just melt off, but it isn't even moving down. It is so frustrating.

#8 NYNYenjoyendure

NYNYenjoyendure

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

I am also eager to hear if weight came down and how quickly after stopping the drug.

I am vain. Three years ago I started taking this drug because my life depended on it. I started secretly depositing money into my loved ones accounts not telling them that I was suicidal. Of course I will never ask for that money back. I started feeling better after being prescribed 60 Mgs and I have always been afraid to stop because I don't want to become suicidal and bankrupt again BUT I have consistently been gaining weight ever since and now THAT is making me feel horrible.

I have gained 40 lbs in three years and have always been an athlete. I eat egg whites when others have bagels, walk & run while I study when others are sitting, skip out on night out bc I can't handle the calories and haven't eating a piece of cake in years. I bike 30 miles at a time and do an average of four miles a day. Yet, my small 130 pound frame became 160 lbs without trying.
I'm scared to stop but I don't want to become 200 pounds next year and that is where I am headed.

#9 MsJenny

MsJenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorthern WI

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

I have been putting on weight too while on Cymbalta. To me that's a deal breaker. I am not a big person either so even 10#'s shows. I hate the weight gain. But I am afraid to off it because of the fibro pain:(

#10 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

MsJenny

How long have you been taking Cymbalta, and at what dosage? Are you having problems that you believe are being caused by the drug?

If the drug has improved your overall quality of life with the exception of the weight gain, maybe you can find another strategy to deal with the weight rather than take on withdrawal. 

Aside from the weight gain, how are you doing on Cymbalta?

#11 Gran23

Gran23

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 43 posts
  • why_joining:
    Want off Cymbalta for good

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

I have been putting on weight too while on Cymbalta. To me that's a deal breaker. I am not a big person either so even 10#'s shows. I hate the weight gain. But I am afraid to off it because of the fibro pain:(

MsJenny, I too take the Cymbalta for fibro and arthritis pain.  Cymbalta has never taken the pain away completely, so  I have decided to find a more natural way to handle my health problems.  I have been on antidepressants for 20+ years so I have gained a lot of weight.  I'm hoping to get some of it off after the withdrawal process is over.  Enough rambling. If you use the bead counting, get lots of rest, drink lots of water and get some exercise, you should be able to get off the Cymbalta.  Remember that extra weight harms your overall health and can make your fibro pain worse.  Good luck with whatever decision you make about your health.   

#12 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationTaichung, Taiwan ROC
  • why_joining:
    For support in dealing with Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms.

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:22 PM

Hi BigMamma -

Was on Cymbalta 90mgs for nearly 3 years, and gained 50 lbs. The weight loss didn't begin for me until last September (changed to a modified Paleo diet) but it was frustratingly slow. When I finally stopped taking Cymbalta in February, the weight loss has been much more significant and steady - losing about 1.5-2lbs a week. Which is just the right speed to make sure it stays off. I've now lost 30 lbs since September, and it appears that's gonna continue - so yes, there is indeed hope. The key, IMHO, is cleansing our liver of all the toxins to the greatest extent we're able.

I was afraid to go off Cymbalta for at least a year before I actually stopped taking it (cold turkey - I don't recommend that method), primarily because I didn't want to take the chance that my severe depression would return. But then I stopped taking Cymbalta in February, as I mentioned. No weaning off, just stopped. The following two months were no fun. In fact, they were a nightmare in terms of withdrawal symptoms. For me, Chinese herbs, lots of water, and going on a modified Paleo diet worked to get that damn poison out of my body the fastest. Currently I'm about 3.5 months post Cymbalta and my withdrawal symptoms have ceased - all of them.

And the depression has not returned. I thank God.

Hang in there BigMamma - you can do this!! And we're all here to support you through the process. :)

#13 GinnyKim61

GinnyKim61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMicigan
  • why_joining:
    Withdrawal from Cymbalta.

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

Question? I seem to be gaining weight as I withdraw. Have any of you had this happen. I'm not eating extra at all, but today my scale was up 3 pounds. I had my weight under control but since taking cymbalta gained about 40 pounds. I can't seem to get it off and I'm withdrawing. I thought that it would make a difference but it isn't. Any ideas out there.

#14 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

Hi GK61, yes I have gained weight since I ceased taking the Cymbalta & have no idea why . It's not from eating or a bad diet , it could be that I have been too sick to exercise properly . I have no explanation for you & would love to know why myself . None of my clothes fit me properly & it depresses me too.
Sad face !..:-(

#15 GinnyKim61

GinnyKim61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMicigan
  • why_joining:
    Withdrawal from Cymbalta.

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:31 PM

I like your new picture wagtail. Great smile. Thanks for letting me know about this weight thing. I almost croaked when I got on the scale this morning. Oh well, just another thing to deal with. And I thought I was doing so good. LOL Have a good day, Ginnh

#16 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

Forgive me if this is a repeat, but I have lost 25 pounds since discontinuing the poison. Some of you would say awesome! And that would be the case if I were already a little overweight. However I am several pounds underweight and have to fight in order to keep at an ideal weight. My appetite for sweets has definitely been reduced. I am a vegetarian so getting the proper proteins is sometimes a challenge. In conclusion yes Cymbalta induces weight gain.

#17 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

Forgive me if this is a repeat, but I have lost 25 pounds since discontinuing the poison. Some of you would say awesome! And that would be the case if I were already a little overweight. However I am several pounds underweight and have to fight in order to keep at an ideal weight. My appetite for sweets has definitely been reduced. I am a vegetarian so getting the proper proteins is sometimes a challenge. In conclusion yes Cymbalta induces weight gain.

I'm sure I'm repeating myself also , but I would be thrilled to lose just 10 kgs .... That would put me back @ the weight I was when I started on CRAPALTA .. But I haven't lost a single pound , if anything I have gained a couple more ... I can't work it out , it's not my diet & Ive all but stopped my alcohol consumption as well ...go figure !..:-((

#18 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:04 PM

Wagtail, I think this is yet another reminder to us that even tho' we have so much in common with what this drug has done to us while on it, and what we experience while getting off it .... we are still unique individuals, with certain unique characteristics ... this whole weight gain/weight loss thing appears to be one of the "no fixed rule" effects....

Time, it's just going to take time .... and patience .... a virtue I had little of until crapalta withdrawal became part of my daily life .... ;-)

#19 MichB

MichB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:07 AM

Goodness! I think I can make all of you feel better. I was on this crap for 4 months, not years before I started to withdrawal. I'm into my second month now. I haven't stepped on the scale since beginning withdrawal but doubt I've lost much, if any. But in the short time I've been taking it I've gained 40lbs. I have always been a tiny person. Only 5'0. Normally top out around 110lbs. Imagine what a 5 footer looks like with 40 extra!! Yes, for us older folks, remember the weebles? Haha. I look pregnant with quads! It has contributed quite a bit to my depression. Most of the reason I don't want to leave the house and have no social life anymore.
I do hope I can drop some of it when I feel better. It'd be nice if it naturally came off during withdrawal but if not, I look forward to being active again when the worst of these symptoms dissipate.
Gaining weight without getting to enjoy pigging out to get there isn't fair. Had I known, I would've ate all kinds of yummy stuff!
I wish you all luck! Hope we can all share stories of dropping some of the poison weight and celebrate feeling healthier as a result!!

#20 Flossy

Flossy

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:31 AM

I too have gained a lot of weight on cymbalta, however I was never sure if it was the drug or just me as it says in the leaflet that one of the side effects is weight loss but have never been able to find anything on google searches about weight gain! So pleased to know it is likely the meds!

#21 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

weight loss while on Cymbalta... HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

I gained about 30 lbs....I'm starting my 8th month off the crap now, and I've lost all that weight...we talk about this weight gain issue here pretty often...it may be water retention...not sure...I wasn't over eating while on it, but I was drinking heavily...which is all calories...and I wasn't getting any exercise...I'm not drinking anymore, and now I'm walking lots and lots...so that's helped, I'm sure...

Whatever it is about Cymbalta and weight gain, a lot of us here are finding that the weight does come off after we get off the drug...just takes time...

#22 Flossy

Flossy

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

Wow! I so so hope that happens for me! I've been very hyper manic whilst on this drug, I too was drinking to excess and very obsessive! Just going down from 180 to 150 has made a massive difference to this! I have lost control of my own life! Such a horrible disorientated, don't know where to turn feeling! So glad I found this forum, I don't feel like I'm so crazy, I now know it's cymbalta controlling my life! Thanks so much for your insight! Withdrawl will be ok if I feel it's all going to be ok in the end! :))

#23 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

It'll be waaay better than just "okay" .... it's like being reborn... a bit of a shock, yes, but just wonderful!

#24 Guest_Pheobster_*

Guest_Pheobster_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

So glad to have found this thread. I have been taking Cymbalta since 2008 for fibro pain. During this time I have gained weight steadily. From 140 lbs to 201. That is 60 pounds making it 10 lbs a year. I have dieted, increased activity. You name it I tried it. I would lose 5 pounds and boom it would be back on.

I have been off Cymbalta for about a week now. I am going to begin weighing myself on Mondays all tbe whe mmaking heathy food choices. On the days my withdrawal symptoms are less I wi do some exercises.

Will share my results.

#25 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

The weight comes off for most of us, just at different rates ...so don't set any expectations/goals for yourself, just do what you can with gentle exercise ... if you overdo, you'll risk having a setback in your withdrawal/discontinuation .... so, easy does it ....

Also, there's been quite a bit of discussion, mostly amongst us gals, that water retention is a large part of the issue ... I'm sure that played into it for me ... I put on about 30 pounds over the 8 or so years I was on the drug ... and after about 8 months off, I've lost about 25 lbs ... I took a yoga class earlier this spring that helped me a lot ... just to get limbered up, regain my sense of balance (the vertigo had really messed that up), and to just get me moving again ... now I'm walking lots and lots, and have just started trying to ride a bike again (first time in 35 years ... hahahaha) ....

Please do keep us posted on how this is going for you ... the weight gain/loss aspect of this drug is something we need to know more about!

#26 Flossy

Flossy

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

FN I envy your progress! Can't yet see it, still wanting to be antisocial and feel unmotivated. Still on 90 though, hope this will improve as I go lower in dosage :)

#27 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

Gee, Flossy, give yourself some time! You've just embarked on this project, and you're doing great so far ... feeling antisocial and unmotivated is absolutely normal and permissible! Heck, I was totally in that mode for all the years I was on the drug, and for the first 6 or so months I was off .. I'm just now feeling like getting "out and about" again, and am reaching out to reconnect with friends I'd cut off ... as for motivation, hahahaha ...

The yoga class I did out of desperation, not because I felt motivated to do it, but because I was so concerned at how I'd lost my sense of balance, coordination and muscle control during the first three months of withdrawal ... I was so weak that I couldn't even make it through the whole 45 minutes of the classes ... and this was "yoga for old farts" ... at 60, I was the youngest person there, the 75 year old gals were all dolled up in bright colored spandex, leaping and twisting and bending and there I was in my baggy size xl sweat pants and a crappy old t-shirt ...

My little bike riding effort is totally a wimp show ... I ride one block up the street from my apartment building, which is a bit of an incline, and turn around and pretty much coast back .. Tour de France it ain't ... :blink:

#28 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

Hey FN....

Riding a bike now, eh??  Good for you!  Take it a block at a time - you're right - you aren't in any race to the finish either! 

Wish it weren't so ungodly hot down here - don't even want to be outside - my clothes are wet just from getting to the car and back :(

#29 Flossy

Flossy

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:56 PM

You just made me cry FN, thank you for the hope and your humor, you are very right! It a marathon not a sprint I guess! Just feeling all over the place, up, down, up, down, not a lot of in between! 😢😂

#30 Flossy

Flossy

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

Haha! Just read again, FN you are too funny! 😄😄😄

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users