142 replies to this topic

#121 albergo11

albergo11

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:04 AM

Update:  5 months after cymbalta, I just want to let anyone who is suffering terrible withdrawal symptoms that many of my symptoms have diminished, and that memories and personality do return, sometimes spontaneously.  I suspect that in another couple of months most of my symptoms will be completely gone, and I will be back to normal.  Don't give up, the depersonalization, and derealization go away, slowly, but they do disappear, albeit slowly.  Cognitive processes, memories, visualization, and creativity seem to come back spontaneously - I will find myself humming old songs, and thinking of memories that I was sure were totally erased from my brain. 

It is not perminant, but it does last a long time, just endure.

Exercise 5-7 days a week, if possible, and use your brain alot, that is, do cognitively difficult tasks, in spite of the headache - this is critically important, and has resulted in massive improvements.

Again, this is not perminant, and these effects do go away with time.  Do not give up hope, if I can do it anyone can. 

#122 navywife43

navywife43

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

I am on week 6 I believe of no cymbalta and being on Effexor. I am going to my doctor on Tuesday to see if she can put me on a different medicine. I am still dealing with some nausea, dizziness, and a slight headache. I too have had anxiety lately and I don't like that feeling! I want to be off all of these drugs!!!

#123 ohsooz

ohsooz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

Wow! I thought I was going crazy. I've gone off other anti depressant drugs before, but nothing like this.
A year ago I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and now Lyme disease. I was put on Cymbalta a year ago and had to quickly be up to 60 mg. Recently my Dr and I have decided that I can't live with the absences of a libido and the short term memory loss. Thank God my amazing husband of 28 years is a patient man.
It's been 7 days and I have reduced down to 30 mg while starting a new med, Viibryd. I'm hoping it will help with my depression and pain as well as bring back my sex life. But right now, I have been experiencing suicidal thoughts, a lot of sudden crying for no reason, and severe headaches. I don't want to get dressed in the morning and sometimes don't until late in the afternoon. I'm worried because my Dr wants me off completely after a week. But as I've been reading the other posts, a long slow withdrawal doesn't seem to be any better.
Any suggestions?

Since I've been on Cymbalta, I have gained 30lbs. I was told it wouldn't cause weight gain, but I can only assume it was the meds. After 7 days, all I want to do is eat! I'm afraid I'm going to gain another 30lbs if I'm not careful.

Has anyone else experienced this during withdrawal?

I'm in need of help! I hate feeling this way, but I hate being on a med that seperates me from my relationship with my husband.

#124 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

I echo your posting ohsooz. The lack of labido, the gaining of weight when you come off. I rememeber all of that.  If you think that is bad read about "Post SSRI Sexual Dysfunction". This is a condition that many suffer from after being on a ssri for a while. It includes loss of labido, vaginal dryness, sterility in men, lack of semen or delayed or absent ejaculation. If these don't come back after 2 months off the ssris then they are usually permanent. I am living proof. SSRI suck!!!

#125 claire26

claire26

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Locationunited kingdon scotland
  • why_joining:
    i have been off cymbalta for nearly 5 weeks, and came across the site, i am so glad i found it, reading other peoples stories and exsperienses makes me feel more normal :)

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

hi there i would love to know how you are doing, as i myself felt in a similar position , taking things day by day at the moment, but its the vertigo sick feeling after 5 weeks cold turkey that is killing me head zapps and everything went after 2 weeks, i had an amazing week 3 to the point i thought i was better i was over it, then in week 4 straight back to everything i felt defeated its worrying that it can just show up after being away for a whole week, i hope your well .

#126 Checkthegate11

Checkthegate11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

Oh my goodness. My brain feels like someone set it on fire.

I've been on 30 mgs for years now, and have to go off it because I turned 26 and can't afford the $250 (!!!!!) a month cost. Plus, I hate being dependant on a drug so it's a blessing in disguise I guess.

My doctor gave me a container of 20 mgs the last time I considered going off of it a year or so ago. I've been taking te 20 mgs for at least a couple of weeks now, and the last couple of days I've forgotten. I figured I would just keep going with not taking it, since it's going to happen eventually anyway.

The brain zaps. I swear they're going to be the death of me. They make me feel so loopy and out of it. Like I said before, my brain feels like it's on fire. And all I want to do is lay on the couch with a cold compress and not do anything.

I also feel nauseous. Everything I eat makes me feel sick.

I hope the withdrawal doesn't last for too long.....I went off of it cold turkey a long time ago, and I don't remember any of this happening. :(

It's so nice to know that there are others going through the same thing though. Any tips would be much appreciated!!

#127 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

Checkthegate11 Do you plan to wean off Cymbalta by counting beads?

Every day take out 4 or 5 beads until you are down to zero beads. It takes a couple of months. If you encounter rough side effects that are intolerable, stop at that bead count until the symptoms become tolerable, then continue the countdown.

This method of tapering off has been very successful. Eli Lilly, the manufacturer, says NO to cold turkey and YES to a tapered withdraw. Welcome, and the best of luck on this journey. 

#128 Checkthegate11

Checkthegate11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

Checkthegate11 Do you plan to wean off Cymbalta by counting beads?

Every day take out 4 or 5 beads until you are down to zero beads. It takes a couple of months. If you encounter rough side effects that are intolerable, stop at that bead count until the symptoms become tolerable, then continue the countdown.

This method of tapering off has been very successful. Eli Lilly, the manufacturer, says NO to cold turkey and YES to a tapered withdraw. Welcome, and the best of luck on this journey.

Thank you for explaining how to taper....i saw people discussing it but I wasn't sure how to go about doing it.
I'm going to try it.....my brain feels like it's going to explode. It's almost unbearable. :(

#129 Checkthegate11

Checkthegate11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

I also just realized I only have 28 pills left. So. Tapering might happen faster than it should.....

#130 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

This is math... let's see. I think the 28 will be pretty close to what you need when you consider what you're taking out of each capsule- 5 , 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, etc.

You will have to pick up some empty gel caps from the pharmacy or the health food store for the extra beads. When you're down to a small bead count, you can bury the beads in apple sauce and swallow them. Don't chew!

Don't shorten the bead count. Be diligent and go slow. 

If you end up a few short, your doc should be able to give you a 'sample' card of 8 or so. 

You have enough beads in your 28 capsules to do the whole 2 months, reducing by 5 additional beads each day. Best wishes!!

#131 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

Update:  5 months after cymbalta, I just want to let anyone who is suffering terrible withdrawal symptoms that many of my symptoms have diminished, and that memories and personality do return, sometimes spontaneously.  I suspect that in another couple of months most of my symptoms will be completely gone, and I will be back to normal.  Don't give up, the depersonalization, and derealization go away, slowly, but they do disappear, albeit slowly.  Cognitive processes, memories, visualization, and creativity seem to come back spontaneously - I will find myself humming old songs, and thinking of memories that I was sure were totally erased from my brain. 

It is not perminant, but it does last a long time, just endure.

Exercise 5-7 days a week, if possible, and use your brain alot, that is, do cognitively difficult tasks, in spite of the headache - this is critically important, and has resulted in massive improvements.

Again, this is not perminant, and these effects do go away with time.  Do not give up hope, if I can do it anyone can. 

Albergo Just read your post and thank you for that! I am in the 3rd week of slowly tapering off the nasty little beads. God bless you! TheEquusWoman :hug:

#132 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

Thank you for explaining how to taper....i saw people discussing it but I wasn't sure how to go about doing it.
I'm going to try it.....my brain feels like it's going to explode. It's almost unbearable. :(

checkthegate: Take it slow and easy. I tried to come off Cymbalta like the instructions given me of my pain physician. Then thank God I found this site and learned about 'bead counting'...that is what I've been doing now for 15 days and this morning I have a HA and my upper body feels so  heavy. I have had nausea as well. I am determined to get off this evil drug no matter how long it make take me to do so! Hang in there. Support and prayers for you! Let us know how you're doing. TheEquusWoman :hug:

#133 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:
    Needing support coming off this horrible med!

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

Has anyone had to reinstate to a low dose, ( below 7mg)? And then taper again. I went off completely 6 weeks ago after tapering down to 7mgs the withdrawal got so bad that I reinstated  3 days ago. First day I tool approx. 70 beads. Past two day I have taken 45 beads. I am doing much better and the crying spells have stopped along with the insomnia. How long should I wait before tapering off this low amount? Thanks in advance! :))

#134 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

As sensitive as you are to this medicine lm3g I would suggest a drop from 7 mg to 4.5 mg is probably too much.  I would suggest no more than 3 beads aday. Just a suggestion.

#135 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

LM3G I agree with fishinghat. Get stable on the 7 mg and take care of some things that require your presence and attention. Don't rush to wean off, and when you do go slow- even 1 or 2 beads at a time. Don't be surprised if you have to level off again for a day or two once you start weaning again.

There's no rush- you are building a foundation.

#136 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

LM3G I agree with fishinghat. Get stable on the 7 mg and take care of some things that require your presence and attention. Don't rush to wean off, and when you do go slow- even 1 or 2 beads at a time. Don't be surprised if you have to level off again for a day or two once you start weaning again.

There's no rush- you are building a foundation.

As sensitive as you are to this medicine lm3g I would suggest a drop from 7 mg to 4.5 mg is probably too much.  I would suggest no more than 3 beads aday. Just a suggestion.

Thank you both,I wasn't feeling well so I did go back up. I am going to listen to my body and take it slow. I am just so hard on myself and I was never this way before all this crap. Thanks again and big hugs!!

#137 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

Slow & steady.
One day at a time.
One bead at a time.
Hugs & prayers. TheEquusWoman.

#138 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

EquusWoman- I needed that ,thank you!!      :hug:  

#139 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

LM3G. There's nothing to be hard on yourself, or guilty about- you did not consciously plan this. You didn't build your own mind. The present moment just unfolded this way for reasons out of the past nobody can identify.

But you can affect the future.

#140 Morticide

Morticide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

This looks like it's going to be a monumental thread-mine, but my wife showed me this forum just an hour ago.  I quit Duloxetine 60mg after nearly 2 years of use cold turkey, along with Propranonolol + Tramadol + Pseudoeffedrine + ibuprofen + paracetamol + Diclofenac and valium about three weeks ago, and it's been interesting to say the least.

The head zaps seem to happen full-body, which is awful when I'm walking up or down stairs at work.  I haven't experienced the nausea, but all the rest of it is spot on.  My eyes have also been itchy as all hell to the point where I tore the membrane on my left eye and was subsequently rewarded with a cold sore as it's healing (On my eyelid.  Yep, lucky me).  

I've been taking CBD oil since day 1 of no pharma, and surprisingly my pain is LESS than with all the shitty painkillers I was on to try to fix the pain (Tendonitis aggravated by arthritis in my shoulder/s).

The mood swings though, that's what caught me off guard.  I'm not an emotional person, never have been.  But (and I'm a 32 year old bloke) out of nowhere I've been on the verge of bursting into tears about absolutely nothing.  Even when watching British comedies on the telly.  Constant suicidal thoughts, even when I'm doing something I like, impulsiveness (I bought a motorbike.  I can't ride a motorbike), and absolute despair.  And then the rage.  From completely calm and reasonable to wanting to kill whatever is infront of me, and it happened today where it just so happened to be my nearly-one-year-old daughter, who I absolutely love.

I've been flipping a valium when the sadness appears, and like I said I'm on week three of withdrawals, but it's been good to find this site and see that I'm not alone.  Thought I was headed for the Ward at work with the fluffy walls.

Cheers
(And sorry about the thread mine).

#141 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:11 PM

Well Morticide

Welcome and hold on. If you have been reading this site you know how bad it can get and what MAY lie ahead.

First of all some clarification. I just want to be sure....

"I quit Duloxetine 60mg after nearly 2 years of use cold turkey, along with Propranonolol + Tramadol + Pseudoeffedrine + ibuprofen + paracetamol + Diclofenac and valium about three weeks ago, and it's been interesting to say the least." You quit all 8 at the same time?

I assume you know about the cold turkey warnings for several of these meds, suicide, seizures, extremely high blood pressure and much much more.

A little Benadryl (dicyclomine)helps from time to time for the emotional swings as does Omega 3. Not a cure but it helps some. I admire your courage but question the safety of it. Please keep us closely informed as to your condition. We are concerned.

#142 Morticide

Morticide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:03 PM

I assume you know about the cold turkey warnings for several of these meds, suicide, seizures, extremely high blood pressure and much much more.

Thanks for the welcome mate, and yeah I did quit all eight at the same time.  The daily take was ridiculous, and it was taking more drugs to lessen the side effects of the other drugs it seemed (my quack prescribed the more nefarious ones, ibuprofen & paracetamol are over the counter here).  I can't seem to post an imgur link, but it was 14 tablets in the morning, with top ups as the day went on.

I haven't honestly read anything about the withdrawals from any of them, as I said my wife only pointed out this website because she was worried with what was going on (and wanted a time-frame until I go back to normal).

I'll flick past the chemist on the way home for some Benadryl and O3

Thanks again!

#143 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:08 PM

Time frame for just Cymbalta  cold turkey is 3 to 5 months and some take a year or more but that is rare. Valium usually takes a year or slightly more. The others have withdrawal of a 2 to 4 months and the diclofenac does not have a withdrawal.

Watch your blood pressure closely some of these individually can cause you bp to rise to 140 or more on the systolic (top number) together I would worry about even higher numbers and risk of a heart complication. If it gets above 140 or 150 I would go to the ER or see your dr right away.

If you develop any specific symptoms that really bother you let us know. Someone here might be able to help.

Hang in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users