#1 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:50 AM

http://www.time.com/... ... 58,00.html

Here is the link to the article. One comment, later in the article is particularly disturbing, as the military doctor was thankful for the drugs so they could stretch out deployment!

#2 Cymbalta Survivor

Cymbalta Survivor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:40 AM

If this isn't a recipe for disaster, I don't know what is. I can't imagine the type of horrors that could ensue if these guys get caught out in the field without enough meds and withdrawal symptoms begin to kick in. Patton said, "War is hell." If that is the case, what would that make war while going through withdrawal?

#3 Cymbalta Survivor

Cymbalta Survivor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:33 PM

This passage sums things up:

"The question now is whether there is a link between the increased use of the drugs in the Iraqi and Afghan theaters and the rising suicide rate in those places. There have been 164 Army suicides in Afghanistan and Iraq from the wars' start through 2007, and the annual rate there is now double the service's 2001 rate.

At least 115 soldiers killed themselves last year, including 36 in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Army said on May 29. That's the highest toll since it started keeping such records in 1980. Nearly 40% of Army suicide victims in 2006 and 2007 took psychotropic drugs — overwhelmingly, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) like Prozac and Zoloft. "

I don't see how anybody can deny or downplay the link between antidepressants and suicide. Hopefully the military will wise up and more closely monitor those they put on antidepressants and for God sakes, let people know what can happen and how they may feel when taking these drugs and after. I personally believe that the suicide rate would be decreased with education. Hopefully, our government and drug companies will come to their senses about this.

#4 DuneAlia

DuneAlia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:09 PM

Delete my account.

#5 NYirishman

NYirishman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationWestern NewYork
  • why_joining:
    User of Cymbalta for 3 years. A slave to it in my own mind. time to quit again

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:59 AM

I feel For any GI that is in a similar boat, Being in a non familiar place with next to no control over your own life and then to add the uncertainty and confusion of withdraws from missing a dose or not having them all together. My heart goes out to any that fit the bill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users