48 replies to this topic

#1 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

Hey, those of us who are really doing tapering off Cymbalta need one place to check in with each other. I'll start this thread here and see if this works! Check in here once/week (or whenever you feel like it) and tell us:

1) Method you're using
2) Starting dose
3) Current dose
4) Withdrawal symptoms you're having
5) Whatever else you think is appropriate

I'll go first:

Today is 8/7/11. I'm using the bead-counting 1 mg less per day method. I started on 90 mg. and am now on 70 mg. I have decided to stay on 70 mg until after my board meeting on 8/11/11, because I want to have my full faculties about me for that important meeting. Then back to 1 mg less per day. I think I could use a pause as I got REAL tired yesterday (I'm great today). My only withdrawal symptoms have been extreme bouts of fatigue that come about once every seven days and last for 6 hrs. That's the only withdrawal symptoms I'm having. This method seems great to me.

#2 Lundeliz

Lundeliz

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    I c/t'd from 60mg in 2009. Went back on and started tapering. Spent the next 4 years trying to get off. It was very difficult. Finally stopped at 17 beads on Dec.4, 2013.

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:39 PM

Hi. I like this idea. I am tapering by counting beads. I started at 60 mg. over a year ago.

I'm only down to 40mg. So it has been very, very slow. I was doing well for a few weeks

last spring by tapering about 2mg a month. Then I got sidelined by the shingles. So I've

had to put my tapering on hold until I can shake this. Very frustrating, but I am still determined

that I will eventually get off Cymbalta!

#3 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

I'm so sorry you got shingles. That is a horrible condition. I hope it didn't get in your eyes. Yes, you will need to take good care of yourself to conquer the shingles and that is more important, so I agree with your idea to just stay steady on the Cymbalta for now. We can't do too much at once.

And I understand your determination. That is the way I feel too: very determined! Keep checking back and thanks for sharing.

#4 LickiTyClick

LickiTyClick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • why_joining:
    withdrawing from Cymbalta

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:07 PM

I would like to track my symptoms and how long it takes to get over this. I am not able to cut down I can't afford to pay full cost for the Cymbalta since Medicare will not pay for it now. I hope this is okay with you. I am on my 3rd day without Cymbalta 60 mg per day for 8 years.

) Method you're using-Cold Turkey
2) Starting dose-0 mg
3) Current dose-0 mg
4) Withdrawal symptoms you're having brain zaps, bad dreams, some anxiety, some short temperment
5) Whatever else you think is appropriate- blood pressure is going up and down more than normal for my medical condition 166/110, 105/67, 86/50, 122/80

#5 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:51 AM

Lickity,

I'm worried about your situation. Cold turkey from 60mg Cymbalta is pretty much like coming off heroin. At least in my humble opinion. I would go to the Eli Lilly website immediately and see if you can get a compassionate prescription if you can't afford it (and who can, it costs an outrageous sum of money?). And then try the counting beads method over at least 60 days. IE, taper by 1 mg per day. Most drug companies will provide medication free to those who can't afford it. You have to go to their website and apply.

Another possibility is to go to a dr. and get on Prozac which is very cheap (its generic now as fluoretine) and use Prozac to taper. But to just go cold turkey, you are asking to put yourself through Hell. Please see a dr. to help you taper properly!

For instance, I just went down by 1 mg/day for 20 days, and on the 20th day I went into a 2-day thing where I could hardly lift a finger and felt terrible, and here I was doing it very gradually.

#6 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:41 PM

Let's have more of you checking in! I'm on -24mg from 90mg now, on the 1 mg less per day program. Still doing great, no real symptoms except fatigue and I seem to be helping that out be going to bed earlier. Good stuff is my body feels more supple and I have more drive. It's a little difficult falling asleep unless I'm really tired. I miss the way on lots of Cymbalta I would fall asleep the minute my head hit the pillow.

#7 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:38 AM

Well I'd say that for sure I am having a new symptom: irritability and grouchiness. A lot of people are irritating me (not here, but in my real life). However, I am also overworked and really need a vacation which they don't want to give me right now, due to the workload, so that may have something to do with the grouchiness.

Secondly, I can't believe how much I am sweating lately. Sweating buckets. I've always sweated a lot and always thought it was from the Cymbalta (I've been on it for years), but it seems like the sweating is getting worse. I sure hope I have less sweating after I'm off Cymbalta.

#8 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:40 PM

Well I'd say that for sure I am having a new symptom: irritability and grouchiness. A lot of people are irritating me (not here, but in my real life). However, I am also overworked and really need a vacation which they don't want to give me right now, due to the workload, so that may have something to do with the grouchiness.

Secondly, I can't believe how much I am sweating lately. Sweating buckets. I've always sweated a lot and always thought it was from the Cymbalta (I've been on it for years), but it seems like the sweating is getting worse. I sure hope I have less sweating after I'm off Cymbalta.

I´ve also had the irritability. I think it is related to hormone changes. I feel somehow the drug affects them

#9 jmim

jmim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:17 PM

first post....

i went on cymbalta about a year and a half ago because i tried going off of lithium and imiprimine for depression and bipolar II (my shrink thinks i was misdiagnosed bipolar when i was 19 and i agree with her - i'm more of a depressed/anxious person with a bipolar mom) and my anxiety and inability to concentrate skyrocketed. god, i wish i'd known. the cymbalta did help me almost immediately, although it made me more agitated than i would have liked - i started clenching my jaw, picking at my fingernails, etc. i thought it was worth it for the relief of anxiety but i really want off. my life is pretty good and i'm generally happy these days. i've gone from 60mg to 20mg without much of a blip. just started doing 20mg every other day and oh yeah! there's that anxiety. ugh. random crying jag tonight as well. i've had the brain zaps but they're not that severe for me, just annoying. but the emotional/mental changes are tough to get through and convince myself they're not permanent.

i have an awesome psych that believes i should get off of it, and is also convinced that the last time i went off meds i didn't taper well enough, hence the resurgence of anxiety. she's supportive and believes the withdrawal stories - which is a blessing for me. so far i haven't been great about vitamins or exercise but tonight has made me think i need to be more careful, and maybe try splitting the capsules if i'm going to have one ok day and one bad one from now on. glad this forum is here.

jodie

#10 bigmamma

bigmamma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:03 AM

Hi Everyone,

After reading many posts on this site, I followed the advice of several posters and tapered by counting beads. I started on 30mg then went immediately to 15mg then tapered down by halves (15mg to 7.5 mg to 3.75 mg then off.) I used my symptoms as my guide and would drop to the next level after brain zaps and other symptoms subsided. It took a few months to get off completely. It's been a few weeks now since I stopped the med all together and I still have some symptoms, but they are manageable. I'm taking 5HTP, 1000mg Omega 3 and a Super B Complex and they all seem to help. I do have very low energy so adding exercise has been too much to bear at this time. I'm going to push soon to add exercise as I think that will help my symptoms. Good luck to all going through this process. The sad thing is that I switched from Effexor thinking Cymbalta would be easier to stop than the Effexor. Was I wrong! At this point, I'm going to find alternative ways to manage my depression as the thought of going back on some kind of med just terrifies me!

Luisa

#11 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:21 AM

I agree Luisa! I don't want to go back on any meds anymore. I am tapering slowly but getting terrible debilitating fatigue. I work full-time and it is quite a task to pretend that I am feeling ok, when really I feel like shit. I guess I better slow down my tapering. Getting lots of sleep seems to help me. Good luck. I like your ideas to combat your remaining symptoms.

#12 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:24 AM

jmim, I agree with your psych that anxiety can come back if you taper too fast. I am going very slow...giving myself 60 days for 60 mg, because when I tried it the fast way, my depression came back.

#13 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:10 PM

Hi Everyone,

After reading many posts on this site, I followed the advice of several posters and tapered by counting beads. I started on 30mg then went immediately to 15mg then tapered down by halves (15mg to 7.5 mg to 3.75 mg then off.) I used my symptoms as my guide and would drop to the next level after brain zaps and other symptoms subsided. It took a few months to get off completely. It's been a few weeks now since I stopped the med all together and I still have some symptoms, but they are manageable. I'm taking 5HTP, 1000mg Omega 3 and a Super B Complex and they all seem to help. I do have very low energy so adding exercise has been too much to bear at this time. I'm going to push soon to add exercise as I think that will help my symptoms. Good luck to all going through this process. The sad thing is that I switched from Effexor thinking Cymbalta would be easier to stop than the Effexor. Was I wrong! At this point, I'm going to find alternative ways to manage my depression as the thought of going back on some kind of med just terrifies me!

Luisa

Big Mamma:
When you drop from 3.75mg down to zero, did you feel that your symptoms were worse than when you did the former drops???? How long did it take you to overcome withdrawals and what symptoms did you have?. I am currently taking B vitamins and omega, it does help. I haven´t tried the 5HTP yet.

#14 MedFree

MedFree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:12 PM

Hi there! I've been on 60mg of Cymbalta for about a year (Celexa 60mg for a few years before switching to Cymbalta) and 300mg of Wellbutrin for about 4 months. I have had the absolute WORST hot flashes that any 30 year old woman should be having. I couldn't take it anymore and felt worse off and embarrassed by my constant sweaty face so I decided to pinpoint the culprit.

I successfully weaned off of Wellbutrin by taking one every other day for a week, then a half a tab every other day for another week and then stopping altogether. No problems w that what so ever.

Then I decided to wean Cymbalta bc my constant hot body temperature was still ongoing. I started yesterday by just sprinkling about half of the capsule's beads in a spoonful of applesauce. Did the same today. So far I haven't really felt any side effects. *Maybe slight nausea but nothing that would inhibit me. Hoping the rest of my day and DAYS go smoothly like this.

#15 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

Hi there! I've been on 60mg of Cymbalta for about a year (Celexa 60mg for a few years before switching to Cymbalta) and 300mg of Wellbutrin for about 4 months. I have had the absolute WORST hot flashes that any 30 year old woman should be having. I couldn't take it anymore and felt worse off and embarrassed by my constant sweaty face so I decided to pinpoint the culprit.

I successfully weaned off of Wellbutrin by taking one every other day for a week, then a half a tab every other day for another week and then stopping altogether. No problems w that what so ever.

Then I decided to wean Cymbalta bc my constant hot body temperature was still ongoing. I started yesterday by just sprinkling about half of the capsule's beads in a spoonful of applesauce. Did the same today. So far I haven't really felt any side effects. *Maybe slight nausea but nothing that would inhibit me. Hoping the rest of my day and DAYS go smoothly like this.

Be very careful and ask your doctor about what your doing (sprinkling beads on applesauce). I have always taken the product in its original capsule, because it guarantees that the product gets absorbed were it has to get absorbed safely. I do not like to make any changes, because I won´t know if the symptoms I am having are withdrawals, or changes being made like the one you mentioned.

#16 MedFree

MedFree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:39 AM

Yea I was laughing this morning bc I am on day three of my "applesauce" method and I stopped and was like, umm these are supposed to be slow release.. So why not just dump some beads out and take the stinking capsule w less beads?! Im so blonde. :-/

#17 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

Yea I was laughing this morning bc I am on day three of my "applesauce" method and I stopped and was like, umm these are supposed to be slow release.. So why not just dump some beads out and take the stinking capsule w less beads?! Im so blonde. :-/

You don´t want cymbalta released earlier than it is supposed to. I just read this in www.drugs.com :"The enteric coating is intended to resist drug dissolution until reaching a segment of the gastrointestinal tract where the pH exceeds 5.5"

#18 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:15 AM

Good advice, Cookie.

Well, reporting on how I'm doing. I had to run a 3-day workshop while tapering. I unfortunately had to wake up at 5 am 3 days in a row and then be real busy for 3 days. I didn't get enough sleep. This really screwed me up as I am finding that weaning cymbalta is making me tired if I don't get enough sleep. I mean REALLY tired. Head on the desk tired. It has been hard trying to lead a busy life while doing this. That is the only real symptom I have had except excessive sweating. Now I have 4 days off and I intend to sleep a lot, and keep tapering. I'm at 56 mg now.

Oh, I just remembered that one day I got into an argument with someone on-line (another site) and really wigged out. That's not normal for me, so I chalk it up to the tapering. And then I felt surreal afterwards, and afraid I won't make it to 0mg. But I got over it and the next day I was fine and back to tapering. I so want to find out what no Cymbalta feels like. I've been on antidepressants for years and years, but I have this intuitive feeling I can give them up.

#19 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:02 PM

Boy, I didn't have any problem withdrawing 1 mg/day from 90 mg to 60 mg, but now that I'm withdrawing from 60mg (at the same rate) I'm getting more symptoms: I've had loose stool a little bit but it got worse today. Also had a short headache and big-time nausea and more fatigue. I rested and had a cola and it all went away. I admit I didn't get more than 7 hrs sleep last night because I had an early morning meeting this morning. The rest of the week-end I will sleep a lot....that seems to help. Oh yes, also more sweating. Doesn't help that it's over 80 out.

At least I got out from under all the stress I was under at work and have a 4-day week-end. I hope to rest up and feel better. But I'm not looking forward to 2 or more months of this. I guess because of that I will just keep tapering. I'm not doing any halts to tapering unless I absolutely have to. I just want this over so I am determined to keep tapering.

Feels kind of lonely suffering alone here. Would be nice if someone threw an "Atta Girl....You can do it!" my way!

#20 darren

darren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • why_joining:
    Tapering off 120mg of Cymbalta to 0mg in 2 weeks

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:23 AM

Just started tapering off Cymbalta 4 days ago. I have been on 120mg for about 2 years. So far just dizziness. Not much else. Never experienced the brain zaps??? Something I am not looking forward to. What are they?

My doctor wants me go to 60mg for a week then to 60mg every other day for a week then off. Sounds awfull fast compared to what I have been reading here!

#21 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:25 PM

Hi Darren,

My personal opinion is that is way too fast.

Here is info about brain zaps:

https://www.cymbalta...h__1#entry20642

Going off that fast is not only likely to bring lots of side effects your way, but also likely to bring the original depression back.

I suggest you explore a bit more on this site, and you'll see what happened to others. You could tell your doc that you want to do it much slower.

Here was my favorite thread on how to come off, which I am using: https://www.cymbalta...h__1#entry20147

Also, I would highly recommend that you, and everyone here read this remarkable book about psych meds and the damage they cause: "Anatomy of an Epidemic" by Robert Whitaker

#22 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:28 PM

I am now doing much better than in my last post. I took a 4 day week-end and rested as much as I could. The loose stool went away and so did the nausea etc. In fact I am feeling really good. I'm down to 52mg Cymbalta and really enjoying life more than I did on 120 mg Cymbalta.

#23 darren

darren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:44 AM

Imdone,

Thanks for the info. I am going to look into the book.

Does seem pretty fast. I am going to give it a try. I really want off this. I was given it for nerve pain from a neurologest who also mis-diagnosed me as having MS. I am not going back to him and also have been hooked on vicoden and soma for 2 years. Have been free of them for 1 month. Never felt so good. haha. Now to get rid of the Cymbalta! No nerve pain however during the last 2 years have become very depressed. This has nearly ruined my life. I will not let Cymbalta or depression win. Too much to live for.

If I start having serious withdrawl effects, I am going to start counting beads. Take it day by day.

Today I feel pretty good. Just the dizzies if I move to quickly.

#24 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

Hi Darren,

Good to hear from you. Congrats on getting off Soma and vicoden.

Be careful getting off Cymbalta too fast...your depression may come back as your body hasn't rewired to protect itself. This is one of the reasons for the slow withdrawal. Believe me, no one wants off this stuff more than I do, but Cymbalta is a tough med to get off of. So I have opted for the slow way, and the days pass, and before long I will be off it, having suffered little. I work at a very demanding job and I can't afford to have withdrawal symptoms, or depression.

If your depression and pain do come back, try seeking therapy and treatment with pain specialists who use methods other than meds.

I was on Neurontin for years prescribed by a neurologist for body jerks I got from taking a high dose of Zoloft! In fact, I was on a lot of meds for "bipolar." After reading the book I mentioned, I got wise, and got off all the meds except Cymbalta (who knew this would be toughest?). The body jerks then went away, once I was off all the meds! As for being "bipolar", that was a total crock. I'm afraid I am very leary of drs, therapists and meds, at this point!

#25 Boheme

Boheme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:07 AM

Hey everyone,

I am new to this site and want to thank everyon for sharing on the boards: I feel so supported already.

I have only been on Cymbalta for 4 months, on 30 mg for 3 months and 60 mg for the last month or so. I thought I really needed to up my dose, but then two weeks ago I got tired of the side effects: numb of emotion, nausea that put me off food and challenged me to eat (scary as a former anorexic), the amped up feeling I got from the drug. I was out of town last week and honestly forgot to take it for 3 days in a row. Then I decided I should try going off. My appetite increased in the first 3 days, but on the 4 th day with no dose I felt nauseous. On the 5 th day without Cymbalta, I felt really woozy and had a brain shiver I think, so I took 30mg that morning. That was monday, 3 days ago.

I haven't taken anything since monday. Today I feel great, maybe a bit of a tummy ache. I am wondering if anyone has advice for me. I know that it is risky to go cold turkey, but since I have ha pretty mind withdrawal, I am wondering if I should just forego the bead counting method at this point, since I have now been off for a whole week.

Thoughts?

#26 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:18 AM

Well you weren't on it for very long. Maybe you can get away with cold turkey. I guess the days ahead will let you know. If you have problems, go back to 30 mg and start bead counting from there. Good luck!!

#27 darren

darren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

Hi Darren,

Good to hear from you. Congrats on getting off Soma and vicoden.

Be careful getting off Cymbalta too fast...your depression may come back as your body hasn't rewired to protect itself. This is one of the reasons for the slow withdrawal. Believe me, no one wants off this stuff more than I do, but Cymbalta is a tough med to get off of. So I have opted for the slow way, and the days pass, and before long I will be off it, having suffered little. I work at a very demanding job and I can't afford to have withdrawal symptoms, or depression.

If your depression and pain do come back, try seeking therapy and treatment with pain specialists who use methods other than meds.

I was on Neurontin for years prescribed by a neurologist for body jerks I got from taking a high dose of Zoloft! In fact, I was on a lot of meds for "bipolar." After reading the book I mentioned, I got wise, and got off all the meds except Cymbalta (who knew this would be toughest?). The body jerks then went away, once I was off all the meds! As for being "bipolar", that was a total crock. I'm afraid I am very leary of drs, therapists and meds, at this point!

#28 darren

darren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:51 PM

Ok, day eight. I now I know what "brain zaps" are. Sucks! Today is the first day of stage two of my taper plan. No cymbalta to day. Other than the zaps and vertigo, I feel just friggin wonderful. BUT I am sticking with my plan!

Darren

#29 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:02 AM

Good luck Darren. Keep in touch.

#30 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

1) Method you're using
Bead Counting method. Minus 1 mg per day.
2) Starting dose
90 mg
3) Current dose
45 mg
4) Withdrawal symptoms you're having
"loss of steam", sluggishlessness
5) Whatever else you think is appropriate
All in all, doing great. Think the loss of steam will get better with time and adjustment to being off Cymbalta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users