• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bigmamma

bigmamma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:20 AM

I've been completely off for about 3 weeks now and still have some symptoms (fuzzy brain, sleeplessness, lack of concentration, anger, etc.) I am taking 5-HTP, Super B-Complex and Omega 3 to manage my symptoms, but how long will it take before I feel normal again? I probably need to treat my depression, but I don't want to take any more meds. Has anyone had success with alternative treatments for depression? I don't have anxiety or panic attacks. Depression symptoms are very low energy, lack of focus, anger, sleeplessness, etc. I took Effexor for years but felt like it was keeping weight on me so my Doc switched me to Cymbalta because most people lose weight on Cymbalta. I gained 10 pounds in 5 weeks and decided that was not going to work so I tapered off. Still have not lost any weight, but I'm not exercising either. Would love to hear some success stories and alternative choices!

Luisa

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:00 PM

Hello Bigmamma:
That same question is the same everybody asks: How long will it take before I feel normal again?. I haven´t heard the answer yet. However from what I read in this site, they eventually go away.
If the only symptoms you are having are the ones you mention, I feel that withdrawals are not as bad for you. (I have felt a long list of emotional and physical symptoms).
I have also taken B-complex and omegas. Haven´t tried the 5-HTP yet. I am also looking for alternatives to treat my depression. I´ve tried acupuncture, homeopathy in the past. Right now I watch my nutrition and exercise almost everyday. Sunlight is good for depression.
I gained 50lbs on cymbalta.

#3 bigmamma

bigmamma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:55 AM

Thank you! I feel like I'm starting to come out of this funk! The brain zaps are better and concentration is slowly coming back. I took my last dose of Cymbalta about 3 or 4 weeks ago, can't remember. My energy seems to be better but I've been supplementing with coffee and 5 hour energy. I'm going to try to start running this weekend and plan to stay with an exercise program once I start one. I need to find an alternative treatment for my depression so I will look into acupuncture to see if that can offer some relief. Still no weight loss, but I'm hoping that will come off eventually. I'm just trying to focus on one thing at a time (like more energy and better focus.)

#4 ExCymbaltaUser

ExCymbaltaUser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:23 AM

It's been one month and one day since my last dose of cymbalta. The hell has stopped. I am pretty much back to "normal."

A lot of disclaimers go along with this.

But, now I know there really is an end to the hell. Good luck!

#5 valleygirl

valleygirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:41 AM

I have been tapering off now for 5 weeks in 8 more days I will be finished, tapering off of 60mg. so far no side effects. My methods is... Day 1 and 2 remove 1 bead...Day 3 and 4 remove 2 beads...Day 4 and 5 remove 3 beads and on and on, there are 190 beads in a 60mg capsule of Cymbalta give or take a few. I'm hoping I can continue to do this without the side effects kicking in, so far I already feel the fog in my head gone and my energy level has increased a lot. So far so good. Will report back in a few days to let everyone know how this is going!

#6 bigmamma

bigmamma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:50 AM

I've been completely off for about 3 weeks now and still have some symptoms (fuzzy brain, sleeplessness, lack of concentration, anger, etc.) I am taking 5-HTP, Super B-Complex and Omega 3 to manage my symptoms, but how long will it take before I feel normal again? I probably need to treat my depression, but I don't want to take any more meds. Has anyone had success with alternative treatments for depression? I don't have anxiety or panic attacks. Depression symptoms are very low energy, lack of focus, anger, sleeplessness, etc. I took Effexor for years but felt like it was keeping weight on me so my Doc switched me to Cymbalta because most people lose weight on Cymbalta. I gained 10 pounds in 5 weeks and decided that was not going to work so I tapered off. Still have not lost any weight, but I'm not exercising either. Would love to hear some success stories and alternative choices!

Luisa

Here is an update. I'm finally starting to come out of the fog. I've lost track of how long it's been since my last dose, but I can say I'm starting to remember what normal feels like. As I said to my husband over the weekend - "...the fog seems to be lifting." I haven't lost any of the weight I gained yet, but I'm trying to focus on my emotional health right now. Eventually, I will have the energy to exercise and the rest will fall into place. Right now my focus is reconnecting with my children. I think they felt abandoned by me while I've been in my private hell. Also, I am so far behind at work that I'm starting to dig out from the pile of ignored projects. I have much to do to repair the damage done to my family and business but I now feel like I am regaining the tools I need to become a participant in my life. There is hope, don't give up. You will get through this and you will be fine on the other end of this hellish journey. Hang in there!

Luisa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users