• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Genealogizer

Genealogizer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:29 PM

This is my first post, but you people have already helped me a lot. After three years on Cymbalta at 60 mg, I started tapering two weeks ago, going from 60 to 30. The 'popping' sensations started after two days, and so did the tinnitus. I have started a journal of my symptoms now, and thanks to all who listed theirs. I had attributed my aches, flu-like feelings and confusion etc. to different things, but when I put them all down, they all started within the last two weeks. This week I was supposed to go to one capsule every other day, but the first day I skipped one convinced me this was a BAD idea. It was like living in a popcorn popper, and I couldn't focus enough to make and drink a pot of coffee. Scary. I've started the pellet method now, and hope this works better.

#2 Genealogizer

Genealogizer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:22 PM

Thanks, Greybeard. Tapering continues, slowly. Tomorrow is my appointment with my psydoc, and I'm taking my journal with me. I have indeed found that mild exercise helps, which I attribute to the endorphins. I had switched to half-caff coffee a couple of months ago, blending it at home, as I'm too cheap for coffeeshops, and that seems to be okay. No caffeine at all after about 4 PM is an even better idea. I am recently retired, so stresses and schedules are more manageable for me than if I were still working. The most stressful thing I did yesterday was watch a baseball game on HDTV.

I have another tool which I have found more useful even than exercise. After back surgery I got a Frequency Specific Microcurrent device, which in the USA is approved by the FDA for use in muscle spasms etc. It has a setting for Emotional Relaxation and Balance, which is a 20 minute preset cycle, and I have used it regularly for the last two weeks. Basically it uses very, very, VERY low current at specific frequencies to affect different body tissues. It's not a new technology; these used to be on the market until about the 1940s or so, when the FDA banned them. They were called quack devices, etc. The only approved use is for muscular spasms and to 'support healing' of injured tissues. Major sports team physicians use them extensively; haven't you ever wondered how these players can recover so quickly from strains, tears etc.? Bottom line is that it produces endorphins and that's what my body needs just now.

#3 Genealogizer

Genealogizer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:40 PM

Today was the first visit to my psydoc since I began the tapering regime. I carried the list of my symptoms in and dang, it really added up. He has taken me off Cymbalta entirely, and substituted 20 mg of Prozac, tapering it to 10 mg after a week, then 5 mg the next week. I explained about the major problems I encountered with the every-other-day process. although I don't think I did well at explaining the extreme discomfort- what an inadequate term. In any case, his diagnosis is that I am a rapid metabolizer of Cymbalta, which has a short half-life in the body to begin with. From a Prozac half-life test about ten years ago I already knew that I am a rapid metabolizer of it, but its half-life is much longer than Cymbalta's. It's a little early to judge how well this will work; I will post progress. Still having the mental zaps tonight, having taken one dose of Prozac.

#4 Genealogizer

Genealogizer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:46 PM

A week into the 20 mg of Prozac, the zaps have subsided almost totally. Tinnitus still a major player; I just can't wait to see what tomorrow night will be like! Aches much diminished, but not gone; the flu-like feeling is pretty much gone. My sense of organization, or the ability to focus, has mostly returned. I realized (after they stopped) that the inability to focus was causing me much stress, which I coped with by having minor panic attacks. Since I couldn't get organized enough to make a list of things to do, and follow it, I was sinking back into depression. Cymbalta is just plain nasty stuff. Based on my response to the Prozac, I may elect to stay on it for a couple of months at least, to be sure the C. is out of my system. Besides, it's $1.00 for a month's supply at Target.

#5 trishing

trishing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:48 AM

Just wanted to offer some HOPE to you. I began tapering off 60mg. of Cymblata back in May. I too went from the 60, down to 30mg. for 1 week then every other day on the 30mg. I had horrible side effects........... (nausea, brain warps, confusion, and light-headedness). After reading this board and finding out that was not uncommon, I called the doctor to see what to do. She then had me go back on the 30mg. daily for 2 weeks and then take one 30mg. every other day. I was very pessimistic! However, it worked!!! I have been off Cymbalta completely for almost 3 weeks. The first few days were ladened with light-headedness, but now things are going great. I am not on any type of medication and very thankful to this board for the sugestions I found here!!! I too discoverd that laying off the caffeine makes a huge difference!

To the people on this board................ THANK YOU for the suggestions. I feel vey fortunate that suggestions were offered here. The way things began on the weaning off were frightening. Thanks to all of you!

Trish

#6 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:49 AM

I am so happy for you, Trish, that things are going great for you. This is an awesome message board, with so many people offering support, and some like me, who babble...you have to look real hard sometimes, to find out what I am trying to say. :D But my best wishes are with you!!

Lori

#7 Cabuscas

Cabuscas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:51 AM

I'm new to the this posting site, but wanted to add some input. I was on Paxil for 6 years before I switched to Cymalta... I had all these withdrawl symptoms mentioned when trying to wean off Paxil quickly. I stopped Paxil one day and started Cymbalta the very next with no side effects, so it seems the two are interchangeable.

Now, i would love to get off the Cymbalta. Have been taking 60 mgs a day for about 2 years. I decided to try it and started taking one pill every other day for about a week, then skipped two days between pills, then three days between pills. Then I got a little cocky because I was doing well, and went 5 days between pill. Not the horrible zapping and and nausea that I have experience in the past, but just a general uncomfortableness that I can't really explain, some cold sweats, headaches, etc. It seems that maybe this drug stays around in my system longer than others? Not sure what to think of the 5 day lapse. But, I will return to taking a pill every 2 or 3 days, and do this for a longer period of time than before and hopefully that will work. If anyone has any other ideas, let me know!

#8 Cabuscas

Cabuscas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:34 PM

I have not been seeing a Doctor about this because I haven't found one that understands the issue. When I first went on Paxil years ago, I was literally bed-ridden for a week because of all the horrible side effects. They told me it was just the 'panic attacks' worsening, and had nothing to do with the medication. I now know it was the side effects of the drug worsening whatever symptoms I had. When my body finally adjusted to it, it worked wonders for my panic attacks, which were quite severe prior to medication. They went from 2 or 3 a day to zero in the 5 years I was on it.

I tried going to a Psychiatris when I wanted to stop it at one point. He just gave me the typical 'that just means you need the medication', when referring to my symptoms. I don't recall brain zaps or cold sweats, vomiting or these isses prior to the medication!

So here I am years later, off the Paxil with no problem when switching it with Cymbalta, but now having similar issues, though not as horrible, as the Paxil issues. The edginess, headaches, nausea, heart palpitations, minor panic, etc., after 5 days of being off of it were enough to put me back on and start over again. I have not tried the pill splitting, because I'm uneasy about the warnings. Since I'm on 60 mg, maybe it would be best for me to reduce the dosage through my doctor and take it every day instead of skipping days? Or try the Prozac method. I'm just sick of dealing with Doctors and their theories on this. None of them seem to have any patients that have been through this, or at least to the extent that I have been.

#9 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:07 PM

The problem with tapering down, even with the help of a doctor, is that the lowest dose available is 20mg. Most people who have tapered down to 20 mg and then stopped, still experienced the withdrawal symptoms. That is why so many people resort to opening the capsules and counting the pellets to taper down to 0.

I went on Prozac to help with the withdrawal, but now it's been a month, and I am ready to stop the Prozac too. I am a little worried that the Prozac may have just prolonged the inevitable. I see my dr tomorrow and I plan to request a taper off Prozac. When I stopped taking Prozac previously, I don't remember having problems...I'll let everybody know how it goes!

#10 Cabuscas

Cabuscas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:56 PM

Yes, I wonder the same thing you do about Prozac. I had a Psychiatrist recommend this years ago. But after my ease of moving to Cymbalta from Paxil, it makes me wonder if all SSRI/SSNRIs are the same and swapping one for another really makes no difference in my body. They're all delivering Serotonin, so is there really any difference in their chemical make-up that would cause one to cause withdrawls and not another?

#11 kendy31

kendy31

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:06 PM

Hello. I am new to this site as well and I really enjoy reading all of these experiences as I am also one who is weaning off of Cymbalta. I have been on Cymbalta for two years, and for the most part during the use of Cymbalta, things have been good. :shock: (I think) The reason I took Cymbalta was because I had really bad Panic Attacks in the middle of the night. I would wake up in the middle of the night with my heart beating out of my chest, sweating, and thoughts that I was going to die of a heart attack. I can say that panic attacks are worse then anything I have experienced so far. Anyways...I would love to hear stories of people weaning off of cymbalta and what mg of Cymbalta they were on and how long they tapered off of the drug and in what mgs? I was on 120 mg per day (one 60mg in the morning, and one 60mg at night) and I am currently weaning off of Cymbalta and have been on 90mg (60mg in morning and 30mg in evening) I have been doing this for 3 days now. (since Saturday) So far the only thing I really notice is being tired in the afternoon, feeling really "out of it" about 9 at night and ready to go to bed. I also am experiencing some WEIRD dreams and ones that I can remember. I usually have two or three a night that I wake up to.

I am seeing my doctor in regards to this regimin and he wants me to ween off in two-week increments. So I will go from 160 for two weeks, to 90 mg for two weeks, 60mg for two weeks, etc. I can say that I am a little nervous about once I get down to 30mg what my withdrawl symptoms will be. I was wondering if anyone has weened off cymbalta like I am doing? If so, what were your results?

The main reason I am getting off of Cymbalta is because me and my husband are trying to have a baby and the doctor does not want me on Cymbalta nor does he want me on the drug when i conceive....That should tell us all something...huh?? I think if things get tough for me at the end, I will try the Prozac method like others have done on this site. I am really glad I found this site and I will let everyone know my progress as I ween off of this scary drug. It really does concern me alot!! :) Thanks....If anyone would like to share there story with me, you can email me at this site....I can use all the advice and help I can get while going through this "journey"

Kendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users