• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Amber0788

Amber0788

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:41 AM

I've been on cymbalta 60 mg for about 2 years. My doctors were gonna tapper me off them but with my hectic work schedule I couldn't go one day with out it. I would feel disoriented and couldn't comprehend anything. I ended up quiting my job because my work wouldn't let me have time off to get better. I started taking it in the first place due to bad anxiety that snuck up on me over the years. I couldn't go in public at all without having horrific anxiety attacks. I would have shortness of breath see white walls closing in on me and I would throw up like the exorcist. It was everyday occurrence. It got to the point I was at 90 lbs and didn't want to live my life like that. I was grossed out and people made fun of me for being so thin like a heroin addict. Cymbalta helped me. I am now 130lbs and have no more anxiety attacks. Wanted to get off it because since I have been on it I feel emotionless and like I don't care about anything even if it hurts others. I had to quit. I have been off it for 7 days. Luckily I have had a bad head cold this whole time otherwise it would have been worse for me. I have had brain zaps which has made my mouth go numb or tingle when it happens. Headaches, and I feel hungry constantly but when I try to eat I feel nauseated. Everything tastes bad to me right now. I want to know how long it takes for this feeling to stop. I want to be able to work but am waiting to see how things go in case I'm not ready for that move.

#2 ready2bfree

ready2bfree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:54 AM

I've been on anti-depressants for over 7 years, Cymbalta at 60mg for 5. I stopped taking my meds 10 days ago. This is the longest I've been off my medication, I was without them for 7 days last year when I went on a trip and ran out, unable to get a new bottle. I think having that experience made giving up them by choice a little better. Constantly shaking, or as I like to call them-- "tremors", I find myself eating any time I am awake. I have also been taking trazodone and gabapentin for sleeping assistance for about 4 years which definitely helps. Like Amber^^, I wasn't able to stay at my job. Today I slept until 2pm, most days I dont sleep in that long, maybe until noon. Every morning/afternoon I wake up I am covered in sweat. Nightmares don't bother me anymore, and jumping up short of breath in the middle of the night has become a normality. I used to be an athlete and am naturally built, in shape I was about 165lbs of pure muscle, now I'm 195lbs and cannot put the fork down. The sun is always much brighter than I remember it and all I want to do is stay in my bed and sleep off the tremors. When I finally finish a meal I feel sick to my stomach and just want to sleep for the rest of the day. The reason I stopped taking my medication is because I am no longer able to go to a psychologist or psychiatrist. This is all on my own, I wish I had the chance to wean off of my meds. I've only told two people that I'm close with, I'm only 22 years old, if my parents knew they wouldn't be happy. My sister is getting her masters in family counseling, when I ask her about drug withdrawals I mention that I was watching a show that had an actor that kept gaining and losing weight. She doesn't know either.
I wish I could wean off, theres no doctor to give me medication. This is no "illness" I would wish upon anyone. Between the physical and mental challenges that come with giving up this drug, it is the hardest thing I've ever done. On top of the nausea, sweat, crying, headaches, and tremors, I have to fight my negative thoughts telling me that I need these drugs to survive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users