Photo

I'm Really Scared. I Think I Killed My Cat.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shelleez68

shelleez68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    I joined because I needed help from people actually on this drug and like me, are trying to come off.

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:48 AM

Hello All,
I was prescribed Cymbalta for chronic knee pain. It didn't take long before the sweating started. Along with headaches, insomnia, loss of appetite and crankiness. I assumed since I am 43 I was starting the change. HUGE MISTAKE. It wasn't until the diarrhea,tingling on my right side, terrible nightmares, this weird zapping electrical charges in my head and no energy did I finally confront my Dr. Even he was unaware of the side effects (nice) of this medication and told me not to take it any more.
Now I am feeling worse, now the zapping occurs on standing, laying down, and walking too. I feel like my body doesn't belong to me any more. My dreams are terrible, I remember them in such detail it's scaring me. I dreamt I killed animals, when one wouldn't die I stomped it. I don't even want to sleep anymore, I can't help but cry all the time and now I can't find my cat. What if I did something to him? I have never considered suicide, now it crosses my mind.
when will this end? Someone please tell me how long it takes to feel better, because I don't know how much more of this I can take. I started Cymbalta when Darvocet was taken off the market.
The other Meds I am on are:
Armour 120
Lasix
Lisinopril
Please, if anyone has suggestions, or advice, please help.
Michelle

#2 PenPenPenguin

PenPenPenguin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

See a different doctor! It is very dangerous to stop taking Cymbalta cold-turkey. The withdrawal symptoms you are feeling are completely normal..even the horrible nightmares. You either need to be weaned of the medicine or deal with the symptoms for weeks to come. How long were you on the medicine? It usually takes about 4 weeks to get the drug out of your system.

#3 neveragin

neveragin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ
  • why_joining:
    cymbalta 'bout to kill me!

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:40 PM

Hi shelleez68,
There is no set time limit where everyone magically feels better, but I can tell you that the last time I took a cymbalta was on Sept. 30...and, it was pure hell, just as you describe for the first few weeks. I do feel much better now, not totally free of the effects, but much better.

I will tell you the thing that helped me the most was taking the supplements. I take Omega 3 fishoil, and a prenatal vitamin, evening primrose (for the sweating) and the sublingual vitamin B complex drops (under the tongue liquid). I was absolutely amazed how these helped me, and almost immediately too! By the second day that "on the edge, hanging on moment to moment" was much more bearable, as were the electrical zaps...even the rages were starting to be less acute. I can't recommend the supplements strongly enough..still taking them today, probably will for long time!

Go and find your kitty and give him love, you didn't hurt your cat, I am sure of it...he is probably hiding because he can sense something isn't right with you right now. If you want to read my journey find the post entitled "My Kids want to commit me" in the "Are you new here" section, I kept all my entries of my journey thru this hell under that thread...

For me the time when I started to feel somewhat better and began to hope again was about two to three weeks from last dose...and only 3 to 5 days after beginning the supplements. Now that I am closer to two months off, I do feel optimistic, the rages are much less frequent and easier to comtrol..the zaps are pretty much all gone, and the other symptoms are less- in intensity and frequency...

Please do not let this evil Rx drug beat you! It will get better, it will be less agonizing, you will sleep again without extreme nightmares...you will have a life after cymbalta, one that is good... You just need to hang on...time, time, and more time will do wonders. Please reach out to any of us here, we have been and are still going thru this hell too...each story unique in its own way, but we all care, and will offer you whatever guidance and support we can!

Use this site for researching info and supplements and other things you can try to alleviate your symptoms...It is a great resource...you may even print some of these posts and share them with your Doctors...?

Hoping it gets a little better real soon. I will send you thoughts of strength and wellness!

Neveragin

#4 shelleez68

shelleez68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    I joined because I needed help from people actually on this drug and like me, are trying to come off.

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

See a different doctor! It is very dangerous to stop taking Cymbalta cold-turkey. The withdrawal symptoms you are feeling are completely normal..even the horrible nightmares. You either need to be weaned of the medicine or deal with the symptoms for weeks to come. How long were you on the medicine? It usually takes about 4 weeks to get the drug out of your system.

Thank you for writing so quick, it was much appreciated.
I did see my doctor again thing this morning. Apparently he did some research and has decided to give me Cymbalta 30mg and we are going to wean me off this God-Awful medication. After taking one, I wished that I hadn't, at least the zaps stopped. I was able to sleep which was a blessing because I have been forcing myself to stay awake. I didn't have a nightmare which was wonderful.
Thank you again,
Michelle

#5 shelleez68

shelleez68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

Hi shelleez68,
There is no set time limit where everyone magically feels better, but I can tell you that the last time I took a cymbalta was on Sept. 30...and, it was pure hell, just as you describe for the first few weeks. I do feel much better now, not totally free of the effects, but much better.

I will tell you the thing that helped me the most was taking the supplements. I take Omega 3 fishoil, and a prenatal vitamin, evening primrose (for the sweating) and the sublingual vitamin B complex drops (under the tongue liquid). I was absolutely amazed how these helped me, and almost immediately too! By the second day that "on the edge, hanging on moment to moment" was much more bearable, as were the electrical zaps...even the rages were starting to be less acute. I can't recommend the supplements strongly enough..still taking them today, probably will for long time!

Neveragin

Neveragin,
Thank you so much for the tips on supplements. I will be getting those tomorrow, actually I may just have to make a run to Walmart asap. I did do what you suggested and read other posts, I felt sick to my stomach. I can't believe this (Cymbalta) is still on the market. My doctor feels bad and wishes he never put me on this, he was scared when he talked to me. I never had an issue with any medication in the past, so I don't blame him.
I did have a question though, you mentioned Omega 3 Fish Oil. What is the difference between that and Omega 3,6,9 which I noticed others mentioned in their posts?
Thank you Neveragin, your words have given me hope.
Michelle

#6 neveragin

neveragin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ
  • why_joining:
    cymbalta 'bout to kill me!

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:05 AM

Did you find you kitty? I hope so...get him to lay with you, he will make you feel calmer. You are lucky to have a doctor willing to research this and believes you...most just brush this off...
As for the fish oil, I honestly don't know the difference, I think it has something to do with the way the body absorbs it...I couldn't find the 3,6,9 kind and I think is more expensive...
The kind I bought has helped me and the label says
"provides 900 mg of Total Omega 3 Fatty Acids comprising of
EPA (Elcosapentaenoic Acid) 647 mg
DHA) (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 253 mg."
I believe I read somewhere that both the EPA and DHA kinds of fish oil need to be in what you take...but, do not take that to the bank!!

You might get better, more educated info from some of the other, more senior members here. My endorsement is purely from my own anecdotal experience as I was skeptical that supplements and vitamins would have any noticeable effect at all. I was very pleasantly surprised by how well and how quickly they helped to tone down the electrical zaps, and other feelings...

Let me and the rest on this site know how you progress. We want you to get thru this! As unscathed as possible... And will be here to offer you support, and whatever else we can...

I try to end most of my posts with a quote that speaks to me...Here's one from Albert Einstein:

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
Albert Einstein

Strength to you!
Neveragin

#7 shelleez68

shelleez68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:48 AM

My Cat FINALLY came out of hiding after 3+ days.
Hello all,
Day 16 of going cold turkey.

I have to be honest with you all, going cold turkey was the stupidest thing I could have done. I did it against my Doctors wishes and I can't begin to tell you how horrible it has been. That being said, I was even more terrified to start back up and wean off like he wanted me to.

The electrical surges are tapering but come and go at the worst times. I scared myself driving this week, my hands actually jumped during a surge. I have a terrible case of the dropsies, my hands just don't work sometimes.

I stagger my naps as not to sleep a lot. Can't endure anymore nightmares. It's just not worth it. Yes, my kitty still loves me (Thank God) although he now sleeps by my side not down around my feet like he used to do.

I now itch like crazy, the vomiting has slowed some. My blood pressure is up and down.

I too have been taking fish oil.

Has anyone else experienced food tasting bland? Nothing tastes good and when I do eat it's not what I wanted and waste it. Which is not me at all, believe me.
Michelle

#8 autimom4ever

autimom4ever

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

My Cat FINALLY came out of hiding after 3+ days.
Hello all,
Day 16 of going cold turkey.

I have to be honest with you all, going cold turkey was the stupidest thing I could have done. I did it against my Doctors wishes and I can't begin to tell you how horrible it has been. That being said, I was even more terrified to start back up and wean off like he wanted me to.

The electrical surges are tapering but come and go at the worst times. I scared myself driving this week, my hands actually jumped during a surge. I have a terrible case of the dropsies, my hands just don't work sometimes.

I stagger my naps as not to sleep a lot. Can't endure anymore nightmares. It's just not worth it. Yes, my kitty still loves me (Thank God) although he now sleeps by my side not down around my feet like he used to do.

I now itch like crazy, the vomiting has slowed some. My blood pressure is up and down.

I too have been taking fish oil.

Has anyone else experienced food tasting bland? Nothing tastes good and when I do eat it's not what I wanted and waste it. Which is not me at all, believe me.
Michelle

I'm glad your cat is ok :)

No taste changes... Just want to eat, eat... which is not good... Exercising more is helping
I'm in week 6... Not as bad, but definately not back to me (yet)

#9 volksvagn

volksvagn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:45 PM

Michelle,
I have recently recovered from my cymbalta relationship and breakup. I can tell you that the feelings you are having will go away with time. Just do your best to stay positive.

One piece of advice that helped me a great deal.... I read about an herbal remedy for anxiety/depression called rhodiola and started taking it when I stopped the cymbalta. It almost immediately helped with my withdrawal symptoms (which were very similar to yours). It is cheap and at most healthfood stores. You can look it up online for more information.

Hope you try it and I hope you begin to feel better soon.

Best,

Marcel

#10 shelleez68

shelleez68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:10 AM

Just got through day 26, yea me!!

I have to stress to all of you, there is life after Cymbalta. I finally feel almost normal. The "zaps" are the only thing that has not gone away. While they have slowed a great deal, I still have up to 4 a day. Which is a far cry from the amounts that I suffered in days past.

I wish there was a magic pill or potion I could say that helped me through this and give it to all of you, but there isn't. The only thing is time. I was and am fortunate enough to have been able to "hide" at home. My family watched in horror while I came off this medication, they constantly worried about my psyche and dreaded being around me, afraid I would fly off the handle at me. So please, I beg of you talk to your family and let them know what you are going through and ask them to be patient.

I will keep updating my progression.

My best to all of you.

Michelle

#11 Mom

Mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:29 AM

You guys are scaring me to death! I just starting weaning off 60 mg of cymbalta today. I will be taking 30 mg for a week and then off. My doctor feels this is the only true way to see if it's the cymbalta causing all my strange ailments. If it truly takes months for them to go away, how will I ever know?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users