• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 veryconcerned

veryconcerned

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

I would like to know how to approach someone that has stoped cymbalta cold turkey. It is my girlfriend and she has completely changed since stopping a week ago. She has refused my calls and I am very concerned. any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Belphoebe

Belphoebe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

I'm sure it's distressing for you. Watching someone you care about go through something like this is always hard. The part of me that's going through withdrawals myself right now is saying just give her some space. The process is pretty rough, like withdrawing from any chemical dependency. I weaned from 120 mg per day (maximum dose without a psychiatrist), to 60, to 30, then cold turkey about a week ago. Today's a little better than yesterday, but I feel like I have the flu. I'm not sure I'd want to be around anyone if I had a choice...but I have a 13-year-old son. I have to keep it together for him.

There's a very big part of me that would NEVER accept that advice if I was in your situation, so I'm not really suggesting that at all.

There's no way to know if she's listening to your messages, or just ignoring those too, but I'd leave her a message (or another message) telling her about this site, that you care, that you're researching ways to help her through the withdrawal symptoms and would like to share what you've found so far. Assure her that you're there and won't judge her for what she's going through. Or send her an email. Or both. She's not the first to go through the hell of withdrawal, but I'm sure it feels like she is. It did for me, even though one of my best friends just came off this poison a couple months ago and felt exactly like I'm feeling now.

I would also suggest looking for a Maximized Living Center in your area. They're chiropractors, but not like any I've ever been to before. Their chiropractic doctors may be able to give you some other ideas to help your girlfriend through the withdrawals, and then for treating the underlying depression without drugs. I'd post the web address, but I'm new to this site, and I don't want to offend the creators by sounding too much like a commercial. I will tell you, though, that helping people get off all types of drugs (legal and illegal) is something they do every day. Just Google it - it'll pop right up.

Then call her best friend or closest family member, someone who can go by her place to check on her, preferably someone who has a key in case she's not answering the door either. Chances are very good that she's fine (relatively speaking anyway) and just doesn't want you to see her "like this." She's probably very weepy, crying at the drop of a hat, aching, having intermittent "brain zaps" (my description of that is it feels like you're walking on the fun house steps with a swarm of bees where your brain should be), hot flashes, cold chills, vertigo, possibly nausea and vomiting as well.

Do what you have to do to assure yourself that she's okay. A large part of depression is withdrawing from people and activities you care about, and coming off the Cymbalta has intensified that effect for me. But the withdrawals are temporary (doesn't seem like it!!!), and I think she'll be glad she put herself through this in the long run.

She's a very lucky girl to have someone who cares as much as you obviously do. I'll be praying for you both!

#3 Jamy

Jamy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

It is really dangerous to quit cymbalta cold turkey. I tried quitting zoloft and switching to wellbutrin without any transitioning and I got horrifically depressed and suicidal. Please talk to her about going to a doctor about weaning herself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users