• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 2legs

2legs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:38 PM

My doctor put me on Cymbalta in 2007 90mg per day instead of prozac 40mg I believe. He thought it would help me because I had to have both legs amputated in 2007 below the knee and had phantom pain so this would kill 2 birds with one stone. Now if I forget it in the morning I am having withdrawal by the afternoon. I hate it. Just wondering has anyone gone to Prozac from Cymbalta and did it help with the withdrawal? I know that Prozac takes a couple of weeks to start working but I never had a problem with it. Any experience with this would be appreciated. Thanks
Pat

#2 Jenni

Jenni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:50 AM

When I was still on full-strength Cymbalta, my psychiatrist and I had a plan for if I were to become pregnant. Plan was to switch from Cymbalta to Prozac (no tapering required) for the third trimester. The reasoning was that, with the longer half life, the Prozac withdrawal would be easier on the baby. First baby (who is bright and normal 4yo) was born on 120mg and we had a distressing few weeks before the paediatrician started listening to our suggestions that maybe it was my meds which had caused a problem.
So, it figures that the withdrawal from Prozac would be gentler on the patient too. Your doctor might want a second opinion from a psychiatrist to be comfortable with switching your drugs without tapering.

Best of luck

#3 AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

My doctor put me on Cymbalta in 2007 90mg per day instead of prozac 40mg I believe. He thought it would help me because I had to have both legs amputated in 2007 below the knee and had phantom pain so this would kill 2 birds with one stone. Now if I forget it in the morning I am having withdrawal by the afternoon. I hate it. Just wondering has anyone gone to Prozac from Cymbalta and did it help with the withdrawal? I know that Prozac takes a couple of weeks to start working but I never had a problem with it. Any experience with this would be appreciated. Thanks
Pat

Yes prozac will ease withdrawal symptoms because the half life of cymbalta is only ten hours and the half life of prozac is two days. It takes almost four times longer for half of the prozac to leave your body. That's why cymbalta withdrawal is so severe because the medicine leaves your body so fast. I just went through withdrawal (2 weeks and 2 days) and I am just starting to stop being physically ill a couple of days ago. It was HORRIBLE. My doc wouldn't give me prozac to help wean me off so I just did it cold turkey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users