• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 needinghelp

needinghelp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

My partner is currently on prescription anti depressants (was effexor xr 75, then 150, now cymbalta 30mg) and he wants off them because they are horrible horrible things! However when he tries to get off them he has all the bad withdrawal side effects, especially the "brain zaps".

I've been doing a lot of research online about stopping cold turkey and taking natural supplements. Does anyone have any good tried and tested combinations? (including what mg to take).

This is what I've got so far but not completely sure
  • 5-HTP 200mg time release
  • L-Tyrosine 500mg
  • Vitamin B6 200mg
  • Omega 3
  • Good multi vitamin

And also considering St Johns Wort but don't know if they should be mixed with 5-HTP and L-Tyrosine

Opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

#2 Uriel

Uriel

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

Hi
I would not go on anything natural without going to a naturopathic DR first.
Just my opinion. You can do more harm than good if you don't know how things interact.
Just because they are natural does not mean there are not side effects.
5htp really does alot with your seratonin so does St John's wort.
Weaning off the drugs seems long but its sometimes safer. Just my thoughts as i am weaning off with the help of my naturopath and pharmacist.
I am doing milk thistle tincure 10drops a day to help my liver and detox slowly and I take the omega liquid. Rescue Remedy helps with the anxiety it's homeopathic for traumau.
That's it for now until i am off the cymbalta completely.
good luck :)

#3 AshleyA

AshleyA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

I agree that you should see an expert. 5-HTP and St. John's Wart can cause some serious interactions and 200mg is higher than the suggested starting dose.

#4 CEge

CEge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:47 AM

I Recommend you get some professional advice before taking supplements (but unfortunately, due to the professional advice that we received--we are all here!).
Day one off cymbalta was one week ago for me. Same day, i ordered dlpa, l tyrosine, and sam-e hoping i could counter act the crash from low nor epinephrine levels. Well, on day 3 cymbalta free, my supplements arrived. I started with l tyrosine and dlpa that night. (only half dose of dlpa, thank heavens). Took the same the next morning (day 4). My withdrawal symptoms were hell, as they usually begin with a killer headache at about 4 hours after a missed dose... At day 4, Since my symptoms, for the most part were still in the upswing- with a temporary early morning reprieve, my dizziness brain zaps etc were getting worse again about noon. I found i was also a bit sensitive to light, but thought it was just more of this insane withdrawal trip. Took another full dose of l tyrosine and half dose dlpa before lunch. Within the hour, i was sitting in my office with the lights out and my computer monitor turned off. The photophobia was unbearable-- on top of all these other symptoms. My husband had to drive me home from work. (fortunately he waited until after dark). He said I was acting as if I was REALLY hung over...I agreed, but now that I think back to the last time I was hung over in that sense--the hangover would be much more preferable. At least when you're puking your guts out you know there is a reason. And people can sympathize with you. And you might be a little foggy for a few days, but if you spend thenext morning (mostly peacefully) in bed, and wake to pee and drink more water, you'll be better by dinner.
Not true here! Oh, man I wish for the relative peacefulness of a 7-margarita hang over! I went off on a tangent...sorry. My supplements only made Hell WORSE! Don't do it!
I dont think the withdrawal is due to the NE or serotonin. (but psychoses might be?). These withdrawal symptoms are related to the drug somehow...
I recommend extreme sensory deprivation. At day 6, I started crying while packing my lunch because the carrots I was packing would be too loud crunching in my skull. Then, since my husband took the kids to school, I sat in silence for ten mins. It was still bright, so i didnt have complete deprivation-- the cat walked across the room and I felt she was stomping! I'm just going into day 8 and i'm beginning to see symptoms improve.
Im really itchy today, but I got so frightened of pills that i just stopped everything. I think Ill take my antihistamine in the morning...

#5 TXcounselor

TXcounselor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    On Cymbalta for about a year for peripheral neuropathy. Withdrawal from the drug has been hellish and life-changing. Need support and want to support others.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

CEge...I hope you're feeling better! I agree with the sensory idea. I work with Occupational Therapists and they suggested some sensory strategies. I use deep pressure to help with the dizziness - like sitting with my back pressed against a wall or asking my hubby to lay on my back (the problem there is he can't stay still and he got frisky). Sitting with something heavy in your lap might help too. I put one of those sleep masks on last night to block the light - I felt like the light from the TV was reaching into my brain and slapping it. I also cried when I left work yesterday because I so dreaded the dizzy walk to my car. I ended up getting a ride home and leaving my car there. I asked my hubby to read these forums so he could understand what I was going through and it helps to have the understanding support. I just hope this ends soon so I can go back to regular life!

I'm not sure about supplements, but the pharmacist said to take Benedryl and travel sickness pills for the dizziness and nausea and Tylenol PM for the headache and to help with the insomnia. I also ordered a sweat-wicking night gown online since I'm sweating like a whore in church at night. Hope it helps - they're not cheap.

Please take care, everyone.

#6 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:13 AM

My partner is currently on prescription anti depressants (was effexor xr 75, then 150, now cymbalta 30mg) and he wants off them because they are horrible horrible things! However when he tries to get off them he has all the bad withdrawal side effects, especially the "brain zaps".

I've been doing a lot of research online about stopping cold turkey and taking natural supplements. Does anyone have any good tried and tested combinations? (including what mg to take).

• L-Tyrosine 500mg
  • Vitamin B6 200mg
  • Omega 3
  • Good multi vitamin

And also considering St Johns Wort but don't know if they should be mixed with 5-HTP and L-Tyrosine

Nausea was a problem for me until I discoverd a website that recommended smelling rubbing alcohol. It worked instantly. I can't help but think that some of the withdrawal symptoms are exacerbated by anxiety or some other brain activity caused by the changes in neurotransmitter levels. What I'm trying to say it that the torture is very real but the torturer isn't as potent as we might think. I say this because discovering that sniffing isopropal alcohol fumes eased the nausea made me feel brighter and more hopeful. Perhaps some of these symptoms are paper tigers that may be 'skinned' in more than one way.

#7 DonMH

DonMH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationPeachland,B.C., Canada
  • why_joining:
    My wife is suffering from major Cymbalta withdrawals.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:34 AM

• L-Tyrosine 500mg
  • Vitamin B6 200mg
  • Omega 3
  • Good multi vitamin

H

Hi
I was a Senior biochemist for 30 years. Do not use 5-HTP if you are coming off Cimbalta. It can trigger a "Serotonin uptake syndrome" which can be fatal.
Vitamin B6 is harmless in recommended doses as well as vitamin B12. L-Theanine can help if your partner's sleep is impaired and it does not have the dangerous side effects of 5-HTP.If you take a good multi-vitamin it should contain all of the trace elements that you need. Ubiquinol is recommended rather coenzyme Q10 depending on the age of the patient Men aged 50+ should take Ubiquinol in preference to coenzyme Q10.
Hope this helps.
Don M.H.

#8 DonMH

DonMH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationPeachland,B.C., Canada
  • why_joining:
    My wife is suffering from major Cymbalta withdrawals.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:47 AM

Hi
I would advise you not to take Benedryl - if you have any blood pressure problems, it can cause havoc. It is also recommended by the FDA that you do not take diphenhydramine whilst on Cimbalta. it can interfere with the serotonin uptake. The safest thing for nausea is sucking on dried ginger.The headaches you have to be very careful about medication. Ibuprofen is probably safer than any pain-killer containing acetominophen eg. Tylenol. I worked in a regional toxicology lab for many years. Hope you feel better soon. Don't laugh but tapping can be used to alleviate the pain of headaches. it is an EFT method and if you Google www.tappingsolution.com it will explain about it.It has been used on troops returning from Iraq and Afghanistan suffering from PTSD.
Hope this helps
God bless
Don M.H.

#9 smeagol

smeagol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

Can somebody tell me why taking Vitamin B is helpful???

#10 8yrs2long

8yrs2long

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationColorado
  • why_joining:
    Stuck on Cymbalta 8 years, desperately want off but suffer significant withdrawal symptoms. Also stuck on Lamictal and need off! Looking for advice and support! Also hoping to offer some of both!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

I am no expert, but might be soon..... I have been on a half dose of Cymbalta for a week. My third day at the lowered dose of 30mg I was feeling all the w/d and fearing driving home. I felt both drunk and hung over at the same time. I was trying to talk to my sister, a nurse, and I kept stuttering! While I talked to her I took my first B-100 - which is a mega dose of all the B's. All I know is what the bottle reads (as well as the hype I keep hearing). This mix promotes high energy, and relieves stress. I can't say whether it's the 3000mg of Omega-3's, the B complex or the 189mg antihistimine - but I have been feeling amazing.

After attempting to come off of Cym many times in the past, this time finally seems doable. I will add - that when I start to have the head spins - a work out is a life saver. I don't always feel like doing it - but a good cardio sweat makes me feel like a new person!!!

Good luck to you!

#11 smeagol

smeagol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Thank you! I am taking the "Super Vita-Vin" which is a mega dose.

Any suggestion to cope with the endless headache? It is killing me!

#12 8yrs2long

8yrs2long

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationColorado
  • why_joining:
    Stuck on Cymbalta 8 years, desperately want off but suffer significant withdrawal symptoms. Also stuck on Lamictal and need off! Looking for advice and support! Also hoping to offer some of both!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

Hi Smeagol,

WebMD had some interesting information regarding the B and it's ability to enhance mood!! Tried to copy the link and my browswer closed!!

I was advised today to also up the D's. I researched that on WebMD also and it was on the list of the mood enhancers as well.

I don't know what to tell you about the headache. I get them as well and usually try meditation and a dark room when possible! I have much fewer this time and think it's because I am weaning from the drug and my body is responding versus an abrupt withdrawal. Are you opposed to taking motrin? 600mg is a safe amount to take daily (my orthopoedic told me this today). It's not the max, but if you expect to take it long term, you probably don't want to exceed. He recommended 300mg 2x daily, but since my pills are 200mg I will take 2mg 3x (darn tennis elbow to boot!).

Really hope you begin to feel better!

#13 smeagol

smeagol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

Hi Smeagol,

WebMD had some interesting information regarding the B and it's ability to enhance mood!! Tried to copy the link and my browswer closed!!

I was advised today to also up the D's. I researched that on WebMD also and it was on the list of the mood enhancers as well.

I don't know what to tell you about the headache. I get them as well and usually try meditation and a dark room when possible! I have much fewer this time and think it's because I am weaning from the drug and my body is responding versus an abrupt withdrawal. Are you opposed to taking motrin? 600mg is a safe amount to take daily (my orthopoedic told me this today). It's not the max, but if you expect to take it long term, you probably don't want to exceed. He recommended 300mg 2x daily, but since my pills are 200mg I will take 2mg 3x (darn tennis elbow to boot!).

Really hope you begin to feel better!

Hi Don,

Thank you!

I am Cymbalta "free" for 37 days. So is it safe now to take 5-HTP?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users