48 replies to this topic

#1 silverseed71

silverseed71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

I see all of the bad posts on here. Do the side effects ever end? Do some of you have lesser effects? My psych is weaning me off of Cymbalta that I have taken over 3 years. I believe before he even started I was getting these so-called brain zaps. Almost like a ZOING!!! Going from me shoulders up to my face. The psychiatrist told me it was going to be rough but to cut back to 30mg for a week and then 30mg every other day for the last 7 pills. He changed me to nortriptyline 25mg for the first week (while weaning off of cymbalta) and then up to 50 and then 75. He also prescribed me clorazepate for my anxiety, which has helped some with the "brain zaps." If I feel one hit, I try to stop it but if I cannot I take either a half clorazepate (3.75) or a whole one (7.5).

Does it get better with time?
Does everyone have the hard symptoms?
Are there any positive stories?
Why, if the withdrawal is so bad, is this drug not illegal???

#2 silverseed71

silverseed71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

I would like to add, today is day 2 of alternating 30Mg of cymbalta. I skipped yesterday and took a 30 today. The only time (knock on wood) that I am feeling the brain zaps is when I am doing what I was doing when I had my worst panic attack 2 weeks ago....driving or sitting at my desk at work.

Today I had to go on the road for business and it hit. I only took a half of 7.5Mg of clorazepate. I am doing pretty good right now.

So far so good. My faith is sometimes shallow but I sure have been praying for help with this.

#3 TXcounselor

TXcounselor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    On Cymbalta for about a year for peripheral neuropathy. Withdrawal from the drug has been hellish and life-changing. Need support and want to support others.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

I couldn't say for sure, but I bet when the side effects do end, lots of people stop coming to this site, so we may not hear about it. I'm trying to have faith that they do end. I have talked to a lot of people about this and I found that my particular doctor wasn't helpful (he said "people don't have a hard time coming off Cymbalta") but pharmacists have been helpful and my family and counselor friends have been supportive. Pharmacists seem to know better what this will do to your chemistry - I think the drug reps tell doctors there are no problems with withdrawal, so the doctors think it? When I go buy a car, I assume the sales person isn't going to tell me anything bad about the car...

Anyway, I tried the every other day thing for a week and I felt kind of crappy every other day, then 3 days after I totally stopped, I crashed. Headache, nausea, extreme dizziness, sweating, shaking, twitching, irritability, crying. To make a long story short, at the suggestion of 2 pharmacists and a doctor friend (not my doc), I'm back on and am going to try slower this time. I was on 30 mg a day and now I got back on 20 mg a day and after 7 days, I'll open my 30 capsule to make 15 mg for 7 days, then open the 20 to make 10 mg for 7 days. They said the every other day thing causes peaks and valleys in the brain, which I can attest to, and the valleys are LOW. I hope this way works better, but I couldn't say yet since I won't go down again until Monday. I do hear lots of people suggest the every other day method, though. I hope it works for you.

I don't think they'll make it illegal since it does help a lot of people, but I hope with lots of noise they'll put a warning on it. I have already called the administrator of my doctor's office to let them know that 1. Their receptionist is rude and 2. That doc might need some education updates about the effects of Cymbalta withdrawal. And it's a bad idea to tell your patient she's not going through what she IS going through. I will never go back to him. I also plan to file a complaint with Cymbalta (ha!) and the FDA. I don't know if it will do anything, but in great numbers I expect it would and I'd feel better if I did SOMETHING.

BTW, after I got back on, I'm down to diarrhea and slight dizziness and occasional nausea. I could stand this, just not the full blown DTs. Good luck, silverseed71. May you be one of the people with the easier experience! :)

#4 silverseed71

silverseed71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:53 AM

I totally understand the peaks and valleys of the brain! I am still going to try the one day 30, one day nothing method. My psychiatrist did warn me and even apologized ahead of time for what I may go through, even though he wasn't the one who put me on cymbalta. I know I went overboard on the making it illegal stuff. It truly did help me for a long time. The first day I went totally without cymbalta, which was Thursday, I went ahead and took a whole clorazepate, which is only 7.5mg. It seemed to help a whole lot. Yesterday, on my "take one 30mg pill day" I cut it in half and just took 3.75. I am going to attempt to not take any clorazepate today since it is Saturday and I am off.

I just wanted to add.....so far (very much knock on wood) I am having a pretty good success story.

#5 TXcounselor

TXcounselor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    On Cymbalta for about a year for peripheral neuropathy. Withdrawal from the drug has been hellish and life-changing. Need support and want to support others.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

Good! I think a lot of people do. I thought of more words of encouragement since I last posted....Since stopping/cutting back on Cymbalta, I am so much more present in life - the fog is lifting and I'm so AWAKE! I could sleep 14 hours a night on Cymbalta and still fall asleep if I sat still too long. My emotions are coming back and I welcome the full range of them since I've been kind of flat for a few years. Best of all, my sex drive is back as well as feeling in my naughty bits (yee haw!). I'm a newlywed and it has been cool for my new hubby to meet the real awake me. I'm also finding that I'm more productive overall because of the clarity...I guess being awake helps too. ;)

#6 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

Good! I think a lot of people do. I thought of more words of encouragement since I last posted....Since stopping/cutting back on Cymbalta, I am so much more present in life - the fog is lifting and I'm so AWAKE! I could sleep 14 hours a night on Cymbalta and still fall asleep if I sat still too long. My emotions are coming back and I welcome the full range of them since I've been kind of flat for a few years. Best of all, my sex drive is back as well as feeling in my naughty bits (yee haw!). I'm a newlywed and it has been cool for my new hubby to meet the real awake me. I'm also finding that I'm more productive overall because of the clarity...I guess being awake helps too. ;)

I know what you mean about "being awake" again. I started Cymbalta at the end of August, 2010. It did wonders for a few months. Then I began getting angry and staying angry about things that I should have been able to deal with. I quit my job in April and began to get manic. For the first time in my life I was manic and depressed at the same time. Thoughts of suicide came to my mind and they seemed so logical, alomst irrefutable. It never occured to me that Cymbalta had changed my personality. I was much more aggressive than I had ever been. What gets me is the fact that NOBODY even questioned whether Cymbalta may have influenced my suicide attempt in July. I had never made an attempt before and had never committed a crime of any kind. Why didn't someone question why a woman my age(55) with no previous record would attempt suicide and whack the dickens out of her boyfriend with a piece of rebar?? None of the professionals at the Psychiatric hospital where I was hauled off to in handcuffs even bothered to wonder why my behavior was so drastically out of character for someone with no pervious record.
The 'professionals' are so brainwashed by drug ads and reps that they don't think like a true scientist, ask questions and make a critical appraisal of the answers. Because Cymbalta had helped me for a few months I thought it never occured to me to think that it could harm me. The paid staff of the Community Services Board in VA and the staff at the Psychiatric Hosp that the State is in cahoots with SHOULD have recognized suicide ideation and aggressive behavior as possible negative outcomes of taking Cymbalta. It felt SO good to fire my shrink yesterday, even though he is a kind and personable man. He dropped the ball. The system won't use my plight as a vehicle for money to change hands! A class action lawsuit needs to be brought against Eli Lilly.

#7 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

I totally understand the peaks and valleys of the brain! I am still going to try the one day 30, one day nothing method. My psychiatrist did warn me and even apologized ahead of time for what I may go through, even though he wasn't the one who put me on cymbalta. I know I went overboard on the making it illegal stuff. It truly did help me for a long time. The first day I went totally without cymbalta, which was Thursday, I went ahead and took a whole clorazepate, which is only 7.5mg. It seemed to help a whole lot. Yesterday, on my "take one 30mg pill day" I cut it in half and just took 3.75. I am going to attempt to not take any clorazepate today since it is Saturday and I am off.

I just wanted to add.....so far (very much knock on wood) I am having a pretty good success story.

I'm glad to hear your are making progress. I was on klonadine for blood pressure and it has helped to mitigate some of the worst withdrawal symptoms. It's good that you have something that helps. I could not have held down a job while going through this. I esp. feel sorry for the children of anyone going through withdrawal.
Cymbalta is a dangerous drug. It should only be prescribed for cases that don't respond to anything else. It doesn't need to be illegal but it doesn't need to be handed out as freely as it is. The stuff almost cost me my life. Anyone taking Cymbalta needs to be monitored much more closely than a 10 minute, 4 times/year med check can possible do. This is serious stuff and the only way the public will listen is when a few more people die from it. I came mighty close to being one of those. Thank God, I won't be influencing people from the grave but I intend to write letters to those who were involved with my ordeal.
Hope things continue to improve for you!

#8 silverseed71

silverseed71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

I'm glad to hear your are making progress. I was on klonadine for blood pressure and it has helped to mitigate some of the worst withdrawal symptoms. It's good that you have something that helps. I could not have held down a job while going through this. I esp. feel sorry for the children of anyone going through withdrawal.
Cymbalta is a dangerous drug. It should only be prescribed for cases that don't respond to anything else. It doesn't need to be illegal but it doesn't need to be handed out as freely as it is. The stuff almost cost me my life. Anyone taking Cymbalta needs to be monitored much more closely than a 10 minute, 4 times/year med check can possible do. This is serious stuff and the only way the public will listen is when a few more people die from it. I came mighty close to being one of those. Thank God, I won't be influencing people from the grave but I intend to write letters to those who were involved with my ordeal.
Hope things continue to improve for you!

I did go overboard with the questioning of it being legal. It did really help me tons when it was working. Also, I haven't had too many issues with my withdrawal so far. Yesterday was a non-30mg day and I was just fine (I think it's because I was off of work). My biggest stress/anxiety issue is at work or driving.

Right now the biggest problem I am having is the starting of nortriptyline. First off, I am sleeping a lot. I do make it to work, but like yesterday, I slept until 11:00 and then took a nap from 3:30 until 5:30. Today I woke up at 7:30, just to go back to bed and sleep until 11:30. I could easily go back to bed right now. I think the biggest deal is my dreams. One of the side effects is nightmares, well, I have been dreaming and dreaming a bunch since being on nortriptyline. Many of the dreams being nightmares.

#9 TXcounselor

TXcounselor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

I have had really graphic, bloody nightmares since being on Cymbalta....really unspeakable things. It took me awhile to link it to the Cymbalta, but my nightmares aren't that graphic or frequent off Cymbalta. I also have the excessive night sweating and shivers. I have wondered about blood pressure meds...my usually low blood pressure is really high right now. Tomorrow night is when I go from 20 mg to 15 mg (splitting pills), so wish me luck. I have a big presentation tomorrow (to about 100-150 people) so I'm hoping I don't freak out or do anything weird. Have been waiting until after that to go down again.

A note about "professionals"...I'm regularly in contact with a lot of counselors and doctors and I have talked to every single one of them about Cymbalta withdrawal. My husband is probably getting sick of hearing about it. I just want everyone I know in a helping position not to be the bonehead who doesn't know about Cymbalta (and other antidepressant) withdrawal. They often deny withdrawal and instead call it "discontinuation syndrome", which is the name promoted by the drug dealers, ahem, I mean pharmaceutical companies. I don't care what you call it, it's hell. I have personally declared war with Eli Lilly and am doing what I can to get a warning label put on this.

#10 OffCymbalta

OffCymbalta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

I was on Cymbalta for a year and Effexor for 3 years before that. In January I started lowering my doses of Cymbalta from 60 mg to 30 mg. I took 30 mg for a week and my doctor told me I could just stop. He was wrong! The brain zaps and withdrawal symptoms are too much to just quit. I went another week on 30mg and then opened the capsule and divided it in half. They withdrawal symptoms were still a little much when I dropped from 30mg to 15mg. I took this dose for a week or so and started going every other day with 15mg. Then I split this dose again and took 7.5mg everyday for a week before skipping days. After a week, I dropped to 5mg for a week and then did the skipping days for another week. Then finally dropped to 2.5mg for a few days. These are estimated mg doses since I was opening the capsules and dividing the contents inside. After a few days of 2.5mg I stopped. The withdrawal symptoms were almost nothing after lowering my doses over the last two months. The worst days were the drops in the beginning with confusion, brain zaps, nausea, inability to sleep, inability to focus. I feel some anxiety now but my doctor has given me ativan to help with this and the sleeping. Since Cymbalta effects the serotonin in the brain, the dreams are a bit crazy. I am hoping that as time passes the neurons in my brain will start to work properly without Cymbalta. I have been off of Cymbalta for 11 days now and feel pretty good. No brain zaps which was the worst part of my withdrawal. Only a few occasions of dizziness. But again I lowered my dosage very slowly over a longer period of time to lessen the withdrawals. Good luck!

#11 silverseed71

silverseed71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

The psychiatrist started me on 30Mg instead of the 60Mg that I had been on for about 3 years. I did that for a week (from Thursday 3/22 until Wednesday 3/28). Thursday 3-29 I did not take one, Friday 3-30 I took a 30Mg, Saturday - no, Sunday - yes, and today none.

I was fine while I was at home, of course that is how it always has been (sort of my agoraphobia kicking in and my safe haven)

I had to take a 7.5 clorazepate last Thursday and Friday. I have taken a half so far today. I hope I don't have to take the other half.

#12 HopefulHunny

HopefulHunny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:24 AM

I'm very new to this site, but 5 days into totally off cymbalta withdrawals..am I ever glad you guys are all here. The physical symptoms didn't seem as bad today, except that it's 2am here and I can't sleep. I still have some zaps/or whooshesbut not as often. I just realised from reading though that I probably don't have a flu after all and the nausea and sniffles are probably connected. I'm also diabetic and I've found my sugars dipping really fast as well as my bloodpressure. But, like I said, these symptoms were slightly less intense today, so I have hope.
It's the emotional effects I'm having a hard time coping with. I overreacted to crazy things today, have been weepy all day and unable to focus. Major mood swings, sort of feels like rapid bipolar cycling. Underneath that all has been a general sense of blah. I didn't get dressed or even shower today, didn't do much at all. I can't muster the emotional energy to do anything. I tapered off somewhat slowly, in steps, I'd been taking it about 8 months, dropped to 60mg two months ago, 2 weeks ago dropped to thirty and then 5 days ago stopped completely. I'm hoping that since I wasn't on it that long to begin with and I'm taking Welbutrin as well, that the withdrawal won't last super long.
I'm taking all my vitamins, and omegas, eating well and starting to be more physically active. Tomorrow I'm going to look into some extra supplements along the lines of The Road Back's and upping my electrolyte and water intake. I live alone so I'm starting to worry about how the depression/suicidal thoughts will pan out that seem so common on this site..Hoping I'll have a family member here by that point. Anyways, I would love some words of encouragement from someone who's a little farther along in the process as well as any tips to make it more bearable.
Thanks, HopefulHunny

#13 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

I'm very new to this site, but 5 days into totally off cymbalta withdrawals..am I ever glad you guys are all here. The physical symptoms didn't seem as bad today, except that it's 2am here and I can't sleep. I still have some zaps/or whooshesbut not as often. I just realised from reading though that I probably don't have a flu after all and the nausea and sniffles are probably connected. I'm also diabetic and I've found my sugars dipping really fast as well as my bloodpressure. But, like I said, these symptoms were slightly less intense today, so I have hope.
It's the emotional effects I'm having a hard time coping with. I overreacted to crazy things today, have been weepy all day and unable to focus. Major mood swings, sort of feels like rapid bipolar cycling. Underneath that all has been a general sense of blah. I didn't get dressed or even shower today, didn't do much at all. I can't muster the emotional energy to do anything. I tapered off somewhat slowly, in steps, I'd been taking it about 8 months, dropped to 60mg two months ago, 2 weeks ago dropped to thirty and then 5 days ago stopped completely. I'm hoping that since I wasn't on it that long to begin with and I'm taking Welbutrin as well, that the withdrawal won't last super long.
I'm taking all my vitamins, and omegas, eating well and starting to be more physically active. Tomorrow I'm going to look into some extra supplements along the lines of The Road Back's and upping my electrolyte and water intake. I live alone so I'm starting to worry about how the depression/suicidal thoughts will pan out that seem so common on this site..Hoping I'll have a family member here by that point. Anyways, I would love some words of encouragement from someone who's a little farther along in the process as well as any tips to make it more bearable.
Thanks, HopefulHunny

HopefulHunny is a positive name and says a lot about your attitude. Diabetes is a challenging condition and i'm so sorry that you have had the additional burdens of 'flu' and emotional upheavel to deal with.
I have a high school 'degree' but I'm guessing that Wellbutrin is mitigating some of the 'discontinuation syndrome' experiences. I'm on klonadine for blood pressure and right now, I wouldn't trade it for gold nuggets!! I helps me sleep and sleep is a wonderful healer.
Try taking a few granules in the morning. That helped me on two differnt days when 'the syndrome' got to be more than I could bear. Suicidal thoughts are to be taken seriously. Don't let them fester.
Please feel free to send me a 'friend' request on facebook. My name is Reba Nelson and I'll be glad to exchange phone numbers if that would be helpful to you.
I attempted suicide last July, thanks to Cymbalta. I almost succeded. You, however, know that the thoughts and turmoil you are experiencing are related to this junk so 'to be forewarned is to be forarmed'. Please contact a hot line or some sort of support system in your area so that you have someone to talk to if the depression gets really bad. No, let me change that: please contact someone NOW. Most places have a hot line. [Just remember, a threat to commit suicide can get you committed. In Virginia, they can hold you on a temporary detention order for up to 72 hours and a judge, who relies entirely on what an evaluating psychiatrist tells her, can keep you there for up to 30 days. These institutions are medication based and provide NO psychotherapy whatsoever, just 'groups' led by the staff. Some don't even provide that. I was locked up with psychotics who cursed and blasphemed like I have never heard before. It was hellish!]
Keep yourself hydrated and supplemented. It is up to YOU to take care of yourself and it sounds like you are doing that. Do as much research as you can so you can be aware of why you are feeling the way you do. Thank God for this site. I thought I had the flu, too. The withdrawal symptoms seem to come and go with one day being horrible and the next being bearable or, occasionally, GOOD!
You may be in the very worst part of the storm right now. If so, things can only get better. My prayers are with you.
Remember, "This too shall pass." And the sooner the better!

#14 silverseed71

silverseed71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

I am excited today. I fought off a few brain zaps today with the help of 3.75 mg of clorazepate. Today was an on day with the 30mg of cymbalta. I am also on lisinopril for bp. My blood pressure even on it was always high (average about 140-150 over 90-100). I checked it today and it was 122 over 83. I know it is just one instance but it is encouraging.

#15 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

I am excited today. I fought off a few brain zaps today with the help of 3.75 mg of clorazepate. Today was an on day with the 30mg of cymbalta. I am also on lisinopril for bp. My blood pressure even on it was always high (average about 140-150 over 90-100). I checked it today and it was 122 over 83. I know it is just one instance but it is encouraging.

So glad to hear you are improving. You alread know that there are good days and bad days so you won't get knocked off your horse when a bad one comes. This website has been SO HELPFUL. Thanks for keeping us posted. Knowing how othre people are coping and winning makes it easier to get through the struggle.

#16 silverseed71

silverseed71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

Thank you and all of the rest for listening. It sure helps to get it out here. I also frequent the medforums.com on the depression and anxiety forums.

I think I was bragging too soon. I made it all the way to 12:00 noon without taking a clorazepate but had to take one half due to sudden rush of anxiety and brain zaps. It's just weird, I get fidgety and shakey. I could barely get the pill into my mouth.

#17 silverseed71

silverseed71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Well, I bragged too soon again.

Please tell me this is either a symptom of my cymbalta withdrawal, my anxiety, or my gettting used to my new meds.....

I was at work and at about 3:15, I felt like someone pushed a bowling ball in my gut and rolled it up to my chest very sternly. It wasn't pain and it wasn't like nausea. It was more like a very heavy pressure. It made me stand up real quick. I walked around the office but every time I sat down it would do it again. I finally left and I would feel a twitch (almost like a spasm in my right leg muscle) and it would start doing all of that again.
I ended up having to take a whole clorazepate (7.5mg) which now has almost 10 mg in me.

#18 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

Well, I bragged too soon again.

Please tell me this is either a symptom of my cymbalta withdrawal, my anxiety, or my gettting used to my new meds.....

I was at work and at about 3:15, I felt like someone pushed a bowling ball in my gut and rolled it up to my chest very sternly. It wasn't pain and it wasn't like nausea. It was more like a very heavy pressure. It made me stand up real quick. I walked around the office but every time I sat down it would do it again. I finally left and I would feel a twitch (almost like a spasm in my right leg muscle) and it would start doing all of that again.
I ended up having to take a whole clorazepate (7.5mg) which now has almost 10 mg in me.

In my totally unprofessional opinion the leg twitch sounds like Cymbalta. I've had spasam like jerky twitchy activity throughout my body, no pain and often felt like someone had hit me in my right side, lower ribs, again, with no pain. I think this is a fleeting 'discontinuation event' and probably won't last long. It wouldn't be a bad idea to talk to a professional if this happens again.
So many of this withdrawal experience lends itself to the power of suggestion, in my opinion. Perhaps a tincture of passion flower will help. Passiflora has a centuries long reputation for calming. It doesn't have and contraindications that I know of.
Please keep us posted. If I were a betting woman I'd say the next bowling ball that comes your way won't be nearly as strong as todays.

#19 silverseed71

silverseed71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

What did you mean before "passion flower"??? taking it? Having one near me? or what? I think your fingers got off key ;)

I don't want to take any thing more than I do. I hate having to take the clorazepate! I have bought more sleep/mood/serenity type mp3's from Amazon tonight. I have like 6 hours worth now. It didn't help much today though.

You know, I seem to be lying to myself!!!! When I was at work and had my "panic attack" I wasn't doing anything, which makes me think that subconsciously I felt guilty about not doing anything. As a matter of fact, I was trying to balance my checkbook. The panic attack and twitch in my leg (Right leg.....being my gas pedal leg), I had the fear (due to my major panic attack 2 weeks ago while driving) that I was going to push it to hard and ram the car in front of me. Man! The mind works in mysterious ways. Hind-sight being 20/20, I could have just screamed "NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" or maybe not.

#20 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

What did you mean before "passion flower"??? taking it? Having one near me? or what? I think your fingers got off key ;)

I don't want to take any thing more than I do. I hate having to take the clorazepate! I have bought more sleep/mood/serenity type mp3's from Amazon tonight. I have like 6 hours worth now. It didn't help much today though.

You know, I seem to be lying to myself!!!! When I was at work and had my "panic attack" I wasn't doing anything, which makes me think that subconsciously I felt guilty about not doing anything. As a matter of fact, I was trying to balance my checkbook. The panic attack and twitch in my leg (Right leg.....being my gas pedal leg), I had the fear (due to my major panic attack 2 weeks ago while driving) that I was going to push it to hard and ram the car in front of me. Man! The mind works in mysterious ways. Hind-sight being 20/20, I could have just screamed "NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" or maybe not.

Passion flower vines are so beautiful. Yes, passiflora is an ingredient in many herbal remedies for calmness. Lots of other herbal remedies are available as options. Can't blame you for not wanting to take anything else. You know what's best for you! :)
Yes, the mind never ceases to amaze! I've never had a major panic attack. From what I've heard it is a terrible experience. Once someone has had such a wrenching, overwhealming experience it is only logical to expect the brain to be on high alert for any sign of it happening again.
You are fighting battles on several fronts, yet you are still standing. IMO that says a lot about your prognosis for escaping the toxic influence of $ymbalta. Perhaps as your brain gradually rids itself of the junk your self awareness will increase and you will be able to catch issues before they develop into problems. The battles are not over but I think you are through the worst part. Rest. Fight. Hope.
You mentioned 'just screaming no.' I think using our own voices against the struggles in our brains kinda 'tells the brain who is boss.' There's something about hearing yourself speak to yourself. For me, Scripture verses have made all the difference.
Hang on. You're probably more than half way there!!

#21 silverseed71

silverseed71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Passion flower vines are so beautiful. Yes, passiflora is an ingredient in many herbal remedies for calmness. Lots of other herbal remedies are available as options. Can't blame you for not wanting to take anything else. You know what's best for you! :)
Yes, the mind never ceases to amaze! I've never had a major panic attack. From what I've heard it is a terrible experience. Once someone has had such a wrenching, overwhealming experience it is only logical to expect the brain to be on high alert for any sign of it happening again.
You are fighting battles on several fronts, yet you are still standing. IMO that says a lot about your prognosis for escaping the toxic influence of $ymbalta. Perhaps as your brain gradually rids itself of the junk your self awareness will increase and you will be able to catch issues before they develop into problems. The battles are not over but I think you are through the worst part. Rest. Fight. Hope.
You mentioned 'just screaming no.' I think using our own voices against the struggles in our brains kinda 'tells the brain who is boss.' There's something about hearing yourself speak to yourself. For me, Scripture verses have made all the difference.
Hang on. You're probably more than half way there!!

Thank you for telling me about the scripture verses. I was just telling my aunt today about prayer helping me with my day. I pray on my way to work and if I forget to, I tend to have a bad day. I forget a lot.

#22 TXcounselor

TXcounselor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

I also think meditation is helpful. There are some guided meditations you can download that are encouraging and reinforce the strength you have and can tap into to get through this. It's also nice when my senses are overly sensitive to shut down the noise, stay still, and focus on healing. I probably sound like a raging hippie, but it helps.

#23 silverseed71

silverseed71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

Today has been very rough. We had the whole family over for Easter. I went ahead and took my 3.75 clorazepate this morning. I made it through without an attack until I had to take my daughter to her mom. I got the driving panic thing again. I made it there and back home but I am zapping left and right and so shaky, I have made like 10 corrections on this post.

#24 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

Today has been very rough. We had the whole family over for Easter. I went ahead and took my 3.75 clorazepate this morning. I made it through without an attack until I had to take my daughter to her mom. I got the driving panic thing again. I made it there and back home but I am zapping left and right and so shaky, I have made like 10 corrections on this post.

The fact that you were able to host a family gathering is impressive! When you add up all the stressors you were dealing with i think you should celebrate a success! It's only natural that toward the end of the day, when they ganged up on you, that you had an attack. You are stronger than you realize. May the peace of God be with you!

#25 silverseed71

silverseed71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

Thank you! I am settled in now in my "happy zone" but I hate that I have to do that. We had the gathering here because I live and take care of my mom. She cannot live by herself. So, with that, comes the Easter gathering. I am doing a little better now but it was rough.

#26 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

Thank you! I am settled in now in my "happy zone" but I hate that I have to do that. We had the gathering here because I live and take care of my mom. She cannot live by herself. So, with that, comes the Easter gathering. I am doing a little better now but it was rough.

Glad to hear you are better. I don't even like to take Tylenol so I know how you feel about the 'happy zone' experience. Sometimes we are forced to choose the lesser of two evils. The withdrawal symptoms will weaken with time. We will not. We will be stronger because of this experience. And more compassionate for those who are suffering.

#27 silverseed71

silverseed71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

God bless you! Yes, we will conquer this! I am NOT going to dread work tomorrow. I am going to embrace it and enjoy what I do!!!!

#28 silverseed71

silverseed71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

Is there more than just brain zaps???? I am having some real anxiety at work today.

#29 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

Is there more than just brain zaps???? I am having some real anxiety at work today.

I googled 'natural treatments for anxiety' and found some interesting products and info. You may want to check our some of the natural remedies available. Learn as much as you can about anxiety so you can move toward a treatment that you are comfortable with. Did you have serious anxiety problems before taking $ymbalta? My depression is returning. The fits of rage are lessening but the depression is increasing. Rage, depression, anxiety. They are all kin. I'm going to start on some type of natural treatment that contains B-complex vitamins and herbs this week.
Have you had anger/rage during withdrawal? Just wondering if anxiety is an expression of the same thing that causes anger. I've read that depression is anger turned inward. A good psychotherapist is in order. In all my years of dealing with this I've only found ONE good therapist. Most are lame. They just listen and respond with whatever formula they've been educated to dispense.
Try to imagine how good you will feel when you find something that helps. Congratulate yourself on getting this far in the withdrawal process. You are probably way past the halfway point.

#30 silverseed71

silverseed71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

I have had anxiety on and off for about 16 years. It's worse now though. I am in a stressful job, I am divorced, taking care of and living with my elderly mother, I just turned 40. Today has been really hard, back at work for the first time since Thursday and boss is here today. He is a big part of my stress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users