• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nett

Nett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:13 AM

Hi all, I have been off Cymbalta for approximately 4 weeks now and have been experiencing most of the withdrawal symptoms other people have been; brain zaps, nausea, mood swings (ups and downs), irritable, tired etc. I am very grateful that on my first week of stopping Cymbalta that I found this website, because I probably would not have pushed through. I was on Cymbalta for approx. 3years 60mg then for the last 6-9months have decreased to 30mg, now I am on nothing. I am having my moments, however I am starting to struggle, I feel as though I am not trying hard enough to be normal happy person, and feel I am disappointing people around me. I was thinking of taking a natural alternative St John's Wort to help with the depressive moments. Has anybody got advice. My doctor said if I continue with the depressive moments that I should go back on Cymbalta, however he also said that 30mg was not doing much and that I could probably try going off. I just don't know what to think anymore.....I just want to be made felt like it is normal to feel something.

#2 Uriel

Uriel

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

Hi
Just curious why would you go from 30mg to nothing? Your body is going thru seratonin withdrawl . I was on 30mg for 1yr and have been weaning off it for 4 mths now and it's alot gentler on your body. It can be a pain counting granules but i sure feel alot better doing it. I tried the cold turkey off 30mg and it was sheer hell. I do 2mg every 10 days so for me that's 20 granules out of the capsule . I am down to 16mg and it's been going well.
I will be down to 8mg this thursday for 10 days then I may drop to 4mg then off it.
I find my Dr knew nothing about the fact that this drug put you in wicked withdrawl symptoms i find the dr's listen to the drug companys telling them there should be no side effects. My dr was pissed when i told her all my symptoms. She is not too happy with the company.

#3 Nett

Nett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

The reason I went cold turkey is because the visit before I went off Cymbalta, my doctor said that 30mg is probably not doing much and that maybe I should have a go at stopping, however he didn't say anything about weaning off the drug. I just thought because of what he said it would not do so much to me, now I feel an idiot because I have done it this way. I might refill my script today and try a weaning process to help me:( I feel my partner doesn't want to talk about this with me anymore, he has read some forums on the site which has helped him understand a bit more, but I don't have anyone to talk to.

#4 Nett

Nett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:18 AM

I got my script filled yesterday Saturday 7/4/12 and started back on the Cymbalta 30mg. I took one tablet yesterday, felt a bit funny as the day/night rolled on. Went to bed early, took another 30mg Sunday 8/4/12, feeling a bit anxious, not sure if it is me or the tablets, can't imagine them acting so fast. However, most of Sunday after taking Cymbalta, I have felt ok and have gotten through the day without the emotional roller coaster. Might take 30mg tablet for the next 2-3 days just to stablise myself, then start weaning, maybe 1 tablet every 2nd day, for a few weeks??? Does anybody have any ideas of the process of weaning yourself, I have only 30mg capsules on hand and I think they are filled with powder?

#5 Nett

Nett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:20 AM

Forgot to say thankyou to Uriel and happyzapynot for your replies, makes me feel like someone is listening and can relate to what is happening:)

#6 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

Forgot to say thankyou to Uriel and happyzapynot for your replies, makes me feel like someone is listening and can relate to what is happening:)

One good thing about the internet is finding that total strangers can support each other!

#7 Nett

Nett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:20 AM

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for weaning off cymbalta, refer to my post on 8/4/2012 @ 7.18pm. As of now I have been back on 30mg Cymbalta for 3 days I was going to take another one tomorrow, then from there start 1 30mg every 2nd day, any advice for how long etc....

#8 Uriel

Uriel

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

Hi Nett
For me skipping pills was just as bad as going cold turkey it just didn't work.
My Dr didn't have a clue that this drug makes you go thru seratonin withdrawil. So I spoke with my pharmacist she advised me to wean by breaking open my capsules. I had to count the granules it should be granules in yours they are very tiny. I started by spilling out 20 granules every 10 days. I had 280 granules so 20 was 2mg . It takes a bit longer but your body and brain adjust slowly to the withdrawl. I haven't heard of many people being able to skip the meds because from what i have read about cymbalata it only lasts 12hrs so if you skip pills you go thru the same withdrawl as cold turkey. My pharamcist gave me 4 empty bottles so I did 10 pills in each bottle going with 20out then 40 then 60 etc. The granules i don't use go into an empty bottle and i take them to the pharmacy to dispose of. I think i was lucky to find a very understanding pharmacist. I had never been on a medication like this before and believe me will never take anything like this in the future.
If you have a naturopath in your area I would suggest once your off the drug seeing them for some direction. I have a very good naturopathic dr which i have seen for 20 yrs but when i was going thru the post op pain from my surgery we couldn't get it to settle down that why i went on the drug , initially it worked but then i started having weird symptoms with my legs and muscles and joints turned out it was the cymbalta causing it.
I hope you feel better I know this site has been a huge support and helped me out alot.
The one thing after reading alot of posts on here i found is taking the omega 369 oil and ginger gravol . The ginger gravol helps with the nauseau and doesn't drug you up and the omega's really help with the brain. I also take magnesium after dinner it helps support your nervous system and I sleep better.Good Luck to you in whatever way you decide to go. :)

#9 GrandPulse

GrandPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for weaning off cymbalta, refer to my post on 8/4/2012 @ 7.18pm. As of now I have been back on 30mg Cymbalta for 3 days I was going to take another one tomorrow, then from there start 1 30mg every 2nd day, any advice for how long etc....

I tried skipping pills. I was on 60mg daily and decided to take them every two days instead of every day. On the days that I didn't take it, I felt some of the withdrawal effects, most notably the whole emotional sensitivity/sorrow feeling. Didn't really work. As soon as I started taking it daily again it stopped. I haven't tried tapering yet. Right now I'm day 4 of going off of it cold turkey and it absolutely sucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users