18 replies to this topic

#1 dagmar

dagmar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

Hi everyone,

I've been on Cymbalta for about 3 1/2 years, originally prescribed for depression (getting divorced from a cheating husband was a big part of it) and fibro. I was taking 60 mg/day. It seemed to do pretty well for me, and I just kept taking it because the doc said I needed it and because it was a habit. Didn't think too much about it.

About a year ago I started having withdrawal symptoms before my next dose; it seemed that I needed to take it earlier and earlier to keep the brain zaps away. My doc switched me to 30 mg twice a day, and that helped.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago, I started getting really lax on taking the nighttime dose, and ended up weaning myself down to 30 mg / day without even knowing I was doing it.

Now I'm on my way off completely. When my little dog died about a month ago, my little man that I'd had since 1997, and I didn't even cry, I knew it was time to get off the drug.

I'm at about 15 mg / day now (just opening the cap and dumping about half out) and so far, so good. A few zaps here and there in the morning, but I can handle those. I actually have some ambition back now, and am cleaning my house (omg the kitchen has been a wreck!).

I tried cold turkey last weekend (from 30 mg) and couldn't handle it after the second day -- zaps, nausea, dizzyness, hot flashes, ugh.

I'm either going to count the balls or weigh the contents of the capsule (I think my (new!) husband has a scale in his reloading equipment that'll measure amounts small enough).

I'm so glad I found this site -- I've been reading and reading, and now I know I'm not alone and not imagining all these side effects!

One of the other reasons that I'm getting off of it is that I want to reset my brain/body to see if I really do need something for the fibro. I've never had any addiction problems in the past, so this is really a new experience for me (and not a fun one, I shouldn't have to add, lol).

Good luck to everyone out there that's out or on their way out!

#2 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

You are one smart lady! Thanks for sharing. My kitchen, too, became total chaos! I guess this means $ymbalta DOESN'T get the GOODHOUSEKEEPING SEAL OF APPROVAL!

#3 dagmar

dagmar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

Zap zap zap time for my next cap...of poison.

It definitely does NOT get the Good Housekeeping seal of approval!

It turns out that my husband does have a scale for small amounts -- it measures down to 1/10 of one grain (1 grain = 64.79891 milligrams, I looked it up). That should be better than dumping out approximately half a cap, not very scientific! I don't have the patience for counting all those damn little balls. When I get to really small amounts I'll guess I'll have to resort to counting, though.

I figure this weekend I'll redo a bunch of caps and set them up to cut my dosage by half every week. That'll be my starting point, anyway. I'll probably have to adjust depending on how bad the withdrawal symptoms get.

What to do with all the leftover stuff? Since my drug plan requires filling long-term prescriptions through them, getting 3 months at a time, and I just refilled for 60 mg/day, I will have a lot left.

I'm thinking a Cymbalta burning party.

#4 tdill

tdill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

I am in week 5 of NO CYMBALTA after weaning for 6 weeks. 4 years ago I started on Lexapro, after gaining 22 lbs I went to Prozac about 16 lbs then Cymbalta another 10 lbs. I made the decision to face the demons and get off this stuff. I went on antideppressants for DEPRESSION, but now I ache all over, missed work yesterday and this morning because of the terrible back ache and shoulder and neck pain, I don't sleep good any more and of course my emotions are like a roller coaster. Mostly in anxiety or panic attacks and my doctor wants me to start taking Xanax and I will NOT! I developed a rash from Cymbalta that i blamed on chlorine then bromine and then my doctor told me I must be allergic to Cymbalta. Great I have stayed out of the pool and hot tub for a year now! The itchy rashes started drying up until over the weekend and I got in the hot tub, now I am all broken out again. I read that cymbalta stores in fat and can be released by heat, that makes so much sense to me now. But the muscle aches? Will this go away? My calves especially but all over. The back issues i have now I will not see a doctor until I am sure they are not related to getting off the Cymbalta. I have never had back issues or body aches, of course now I am 50 lbs overweight and I have never had this before either. So speaking of, does anyone know how to lose weight after getting off this stuff. My doctor seemed surprised I was still gaining weight on cymbalta, but I gained weight on all the other ones too. I just have never been so miserable, everything hurts, of course I am depressed, ,my anxiety seems to come at night. I was prepared for the emotional issues, but not all these physical issues. My goodness I feel like I am falling apart at the seams!

#5 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

"Allergic" to Cymbalta? Doesn't s/he know the difference between an allergy and a side effect?
YES, the muscle aches will go away. Mine were bad while reducing the dose and after the last (dose 3/17/12)they were severe but they started getting better well over a week ago. On Monday I started to get more of my muscle strength back. I can now work in the garden without becoming sickeningly weak. The fatigue is getting better, too.
From what I've read it seems the dope messes up our thyroid gland. The thyroid is considered a factor in depression in general by many. I suggest you google 'thyroid and depression' It may lead you to some herbal supplements that get to the root of the depression that the drugs don't cure. I've ordered a thyroid supplement from Native Remedies. I had to order it by snailmail so it won't arrive for a while. I've never bought their products but they have an excellent website with lots of info on the various herbs.
Do you have any idea why your anxiety comes at night? Not prying, just wondering because mine comes in the late afternoon/early evening. I was able to remember the first time I felt that way and it helps me to put it in perspective.
IMO you feel like you are coming apart at the seams because the brain altering drugs are working their way out of your system and your whole body is adjusting to true reality. I honestly believe treating depression and anxiety with strong chemical substances like $ymbalta is like shooting a butterfly with a 12 gauge shot gun. Yeah, you'll hit it but there won't be anything left. NO thanks,
$ymbalta withdrawal is the worst physical experience i've ever endured. Since you are on week 5 you I hope you are at a turning point. Take care of yourself. You aren't in this alone. This website has been SO helpful. Just knowing that other people are struggling with the same things makes it less threatening. Hope you are able to post news of improvement in your muscle pain soon. :)

#6 melly

melly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

Zap zap zap time for my next cap...of poison.

It definitely does NOT get the Good Housekeeping seal of approval!

It turns out that my husband does have a scale for small amounts -- it measures down to 1/10 of one grain (1 grain = 64.79891 milligrams, I looked it up). That should be better than dumping out approximately half a cap, not very scientific! I don't have the patience for counting all those damn little balls. When I get to really small amounts I'll guess I'll have to resort to counting, though.

I figure this weekend I'll redo a bunch of caps and set them up to cut my dosage by half every week. That'll be my starting point, anyway. I'll probably have to adjust depending on how bad the withdrawal symptoms get.

What to do with all the leftover stuff? Since my drug plan requires filling long-term prescriptions through them, getting 3 months at a time, and I just refilled for 60 mg/day, I will have a lot left.

I'm thinking a Cymbalta burning party.

Return it to your pharmacy as it is poison.

#7 tdill

tdill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

Thank you so very much for your reply. I feel like finaly someone has thrown me a "life preserver" of recognition. i don't know anyone who has been through this or wants to hear about it. You give me hope, the thought of not aching and not being fatigued all the time is like a ray of hope. The sickenly weak feeling as you put it, I can get from cleaning the kitchen after dinner. I just need to keep my eye on the prize that someday i will feel normal again. I don't know why my anxiety comes at night.It's as I start drifting off and frightening thoughts come to me, 2 nights in a row I jumped out of bed and started running only to slam into my closed bedroom door. Last night I woke up thinking my esophogous was closing up on me and I was starting a full on panic attack and was able to get it under control and actually sleep again later. The usual has been that I am up all night after an icident like that.Believe me, this is random out of the blue I have never had any thoughts or issues with anxiety and panic like this in the past. My introduction and deception of taking antideppressants was brought on by the loss of family members.
I have had thyroid issues for many years and take synthroid, so you can imagine how excited I am to hear that cymbalta interferes with the thyroid. Great (not) and not surprising. Thank you again, and I will post my progress. I am at work today but it took a lot to get here, nevertheless I made it. I cannot wait to work in my garden again!! Light at the end of this dark tunnel!!

#8 tdill

tdill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:30 AM

Appropriate crying 101! I can relate to your situation when your dog passed away (and I am sorry about your loss). Until recently I have not shed a tear in almost 4 years. So now as I start the withdrawl process I am prone to "inappropriate crying". My Dr. asked me if I had started "crying jags" yet and I cried uncontrollably for about 30 minutes. The 5am news had a story that sent me in to orbit recently, but I am afraid that still i could watch drowning kittens and not shed a tear yet. I look forward to a normal and "real" emotional reaction one of these days. 4 years ago when I started this nightmare I was afraid that if I let myself cry, that I would never stop. Now I say bring on the tears, just not in the supermarket or my desk at work please!!

#9 dagmar

dagmar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

Return it to your pharmacy as it is poison.

I thought about that, but I think it'll be much more satisfying to have a ritual burning. I wonder what the pharmacy does with all the stuff that gets turned in...probably gets incinerated anyway!

Appropriate crying 101!

Oh, that'll be the last thing I need, to start crying at work!

Well, the scale didn't work out as well as I'd hoped, so I'm down to counting little white balls. Little white balls all over the desk...little white balls all over the floor...I think I'll be dreaming about little white balls all night, sigh.

#10 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

I thought about that, but I think it'll be much more satisfying to have a ritual burning. I wonder what the pharmacy does with all the stuff that gets turned in...probably gets incinerated anyway!

Oh, that'll be the last thing I need, to start crying at work!

Well, the scale didn't work out as well as I'd hoped, so I'm down to counting little white balls. Little white balls all over the desk...little white balls all over the floor...I think I'll be dreaming about little white balls all night, sigh.

LOL. Hey, little white balls are better than vomiting and cursing like witch! Keep counting! :P

#11 dagmar

dagmar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

After about a week at 15 mg with brain zaps as the only apparent side effect (hard to tell what everyone else sees from the outside, lol), I'm ready to step down to 7.5 mg today (75 cursed little white balls). I feel like I have emotions again! My kitchen is still not up to my old standards though :P

The pain is starting to come back from the fibro and my back problems, but so far it's not too bad.

I had talked to my doc a year or so ago about switching to something else, but he said that "because I was doing so well" on the C ("Cymbalta" is a four letter word) that he didn't want to take me off of it. We'll have another chat about it after I'm totally off if I think I need something else.

#12 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

After about a week at 15 mg with brain zaps as the only apparent side effect (hard to tell what everyone else sees from the outside, lol), I'm ready to step down to 7.5 mg today (75 cursed little white balls). I feel like I have emotions again! My kitchen is still not up to my old standards though :P

The pain is starting to come back from the fibro and my back problems, but so far it's not too bad.

I had talked to my doc a year or so ago about switching to something else, but he said that "because I was doing so well" on the C ("Cymbalta" is a four letter word) that he didn't want to take me off of it. We'll have another chat about it after I'm totally off if I think I need something else.

It's good to hear that you are human again! What's a good name for the creatures we become while on $ymbalta? "Mind control slaves", IMO.
I am so sorry about your fibro and back problems. I honestly believe there are herbal/nutritional remedies for all the problems that the human body expeiences but it's just so hard to find them.
Best wishes on a full recovery and a first class kitchen! :) Please keep us posted on the fibro/pain situation. Until I started reading this site I had no idea so many people suffered from fibro. :(

#13 Uriel

Uriel

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

"Allergic" to Cymbalta? Doesn't s/he know the difference between an allergy and a side effect?
YES, the muscle aches will go away. Mine were bad while reducing the dose and after the last (dose 3/17/12)they were severe but they started getting better well over a week ago. On Monday I started to get more of my muscle strength back. I can now work in the garden without becoming sickeningly weak. The fatigue is getting better, too.
From what I've read it seems the dope messes up our thyroid gland. The thyroid is considered a factor in depression in general by many. I suggest you google 'thyroid and depression' It may lead you to some herbal supplements that get to the root of the depression that the drugs don't cure. I've ordered a thyroid supplement from Native Remedies. I had to order it by snailmail so it won't arrive for a while. I've never bought their products but they have an excellent website with lots of info on the various herbs.
Do you have any idea why your anxiety comes at night? Not prying, just wondering because mine comes in the late afternoon/early evening. I was able to remember the first time I felt that way and it helps me to put it in perspective.
IMO you feel like you are coming apart at the seams because the brain altering drugs are working their way out of your system and your whole body is adjusting to true reality. I honestly believe treating depression and anxiety with strong chemical substances like $ymbalta is like shooting a butterfly with a 12 gauge shot gun. Yeah, you'll hit it but there won't be anything left. NO thanks,
$ymbalta withdrawal is the worst physical experience i've ever endured. Since you are on week 5 you I hope you are at a turning point. Take care of yourself. You aren't in this alone. This website has been SO helpful. Just knowing that other people are struggling with the same things makes it less threatening. Hope you are able to post news of improvement in your muscle pain soon. :)

Hi
Hey your the first person i have heard talk about the muscle weakness holy cow i thought I was nut's last summer when i was still recovering from my knee surgery, i would try to do a bit of garden work and after 5 min i felt like i was going to collapse. My muscles in my legs felt so weird they felt like wet noodles I kept telling my dr and she kept saying it was my fibro. They use fibro as a lax dignosis for everything when you have it. I was so pissed off i called the pharmacist and explained my symptoms and she said it was the drug. AS far as the thyroid i just went thru mine being extremely inflammed and the tests i had came back as normal so it's interesting you speak of this. It's gone down now and since i am at my last drop in the evil drug i can't believe how my legs are starting to feel strong again and i am feeling like my old self. It's a very scary drug one that i will never take again or any thing for that matter. Thks for sharing.

#14 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

Hi
Hey your the first person i have heard talk about the muscle weakness holy cow i thought I was nut's last summer when i was still recovering from my knee surgery, i would try to do a bit of garden work and after 5 min i felt like i was going to collapse. My muscles in my legs felt so weird they felt like wet noodles I kept telling my dr and she kept saying it was my fibro. They use fibro as a lax dignosis for everything when you have it. I was so pissed off i called the pharmacist and explained my symptoms and she said it was the drug. AS far as the thyroid i just went thru mine being extremely inflammed and the tests i had came back as normal so it's interesting you speak of this. It's gone down now and since i am at my last drop in the evil drug i can't believe how my legs are starting to feel strong again and i am feeling like my old self. It's a very scary drug one that i will never take again or any thing for that matter. Thks for sharing.

As Ben Franklin said, "We must all hang together or we shall all hang seperately." King George III was small fry compared to Eli Lilly and their cohorts. If you haven't done so already, PLEASE report your experience to the FDA:
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of Prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
I still don't have all my strength back and my last hit was March 17!
You are SO right about fibro diagnosis. Why don't they just say "I don't know"? I guess they can't write a prescription for "I don't know" so nobody makes any $$ from it.
Here's yet ANOTHER EXAMPLE of a PHARMACIST knowing about the dark side of $ymbalta while the doctor doesn't have a clue!
I'm concerned that the stuff has pushed me toward fibro symptoms. I used to ignore minor pain from briars or goats but now these things hurt 10x more. What does this drug do to muscles and pain receptors?
I hope you continue to progress and can fully recover from fibro. :)

#15 dagmar

dagmar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Whew, well, after stepping down from 7.5 mg to 3.5 mg on Tuesday, I forgot to take any yesterday. The brain zaps have become so much a normal part of my life now that I didn't miss it. I'm going to just stop taking it now and see how it goes.

The worst part (worse than the zaps) has been that my body has forgotten all about thermoregulation. I swear that menopause was a snap compared to this! Sweater on...sweater off...sweater on...sweater off... Sometimes it feels like I go from normal temp to sunburn on my entire body, and I get really red, and start sweating. It's very, very weird. I keep telling myself that it's my body sweating out the last of the poison :lol:

So, am I done? I hope so!

(Oh, and last weekend, my husband and I built and planted a raised bed garden, I cleaned the kitchen (yay!) and actually cooked dinner two nights in a row...of course, the kitchen is a wreck again!)

#16 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Whew, well, after stepping down from 7.5 mg to 3.5 mg on Tuesday, I forgot to take any yesterday. The brain zaps have become so much a normal part of my life now that I didn't miss it. I'm going to just stop taking it now and see how it goes.

The worst part (worse than the zaps) has been that my body has forgotten all about thermoregulation. I swear that menopause was a snap compared to this! Sweater on...sweater off...sweater on...sweater off... Sometimes it feels like I go from normal temp to sunburn on my entire body, and I get really red, and start sweating. It's very, very weird. I keep telling myself that it's my body sweating out the last of the poison :lol:

So, am I done? I hope so!

(Oh, and last weekend, my husband and I built and planted a raised bed garden, I cleaned the kitchen (yay!) and actually cooked dinner two nights in a row...of course, the kitchen is a wreck again!)

Stick a fork in yourself, you're DONE! :P Yes, menopause was a piece of cake compared to withdrawal. Isn't it wonderful to be a productive human being again? Godspeed! :)

#17 dagmar

dagmar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

Stick a fork in yourself, you're DONE! :P Yes, menopause was a piece of cake compared to withdrawal. Isn't it wonderful to be a productive human being again? Godspeed! :)

Yes, it is wonderful to be productive again!

Still zapping and sweating/freezing...I wonder how long this will last?!

#18 tdill

tdill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

Yes, it is wonderful to be productive again!

Still zapping and sweating/freezing...I wonder how long this will last?!

I am losing track of the weeks but I believe I am in week 7 or 8 of NO cymbalta after a 6 week step down, the horrifc sweats have subsided!! I mean I was sweating buckets even if I was freezing cold. I would very much like to NEVER experience that again. I am still struggling although strength is building, I had an entire Saturday on the couch with just no energy. Sunday back up and at it. I don't know where that came from. The "electric shocks" feeling in my legs are gone but there have been some in my feet. I am still struggling with the rash, but it is not as severe as it was but seems more spread out now. And hot batha or hot tub definitley gets it going again. My mood is bad and I am trying to contro;l it, I am taking Vit. C and B12 (over the counter) when I really get in a slump. But having the rose colored glasses off, and seeing this 50 lbs over weight woman is tough. I haven't kept my appearance up like I normally did and feel frumpy. I think I let people just walk all over me while I was dazed and confused on the antideppresants becuse I really don't like the way people treat me now, in the work place or at home. I need to try and get a filter in place and slowly reestablish myself amoung the living I have been on this stuff for 4 years. So it is not going to happen overnight. I don't feel too tired right now at the end of the work day so I am going to shop for some work out clothes and try to start exercising, maybe an hour after work a couple days a week to start with. I just look in the mirror and don't really recognize myself. And after all this I am going through to get off this stuff and live again, I have moments that I just want to start taking them agian and just forget about dealing with all this!! The only thing i can say to someone thiking about taking this "medication" is that if you start you should take it for the rest of your life. Getting off this hads been the worst thing physically andmentally I have ever done. BTW: still no libido and that went I mean really has been gone for a couple years. But it could also be because of the weight gain. I just wish it would come back. I am afraid that these last 4 months or so have taken such a toll on my relationship that I don't think is repairable. Right now I have to concentrate on me and getting this out of my system and restarting my life. I started the antideppressants after losing most of my family unexpectadly, I didn't have a personality disorder or fibro I just thought I needed some help temporarily.i should have just toughed it out.

#19 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

I am losing track of the weeks but I believe I am in week 7 or 8 of NO cymbalta after a 6 week step down, the horrifc sweats have subsided!! I mean I was sweating buckets even if I was freezing cold. I would very much like to NEVER experience that again. I am still struggling although strength is building, I had an entire Saturday on the couch with just no energy. Sunday back up and at it. I don't know where that came from. The "electric shocks" feeling in my legs are gone but there have been some in my feet. I am still struggling with the rash, but it is not as severe as it was but seems more spread out now. And hot batha or hot tub definitley gets it going again. My mood is bad and I am trying to contro;l it, I am taking Vit. C and B12 (over the counter) when I really get in a slump. But having the rose colored glasses off, and seeing this 50 lbs over weight woman is tough. I haven't kept my appearance up like I normally did and feel frumpy. I think I let people just walk all over me while I was dazed and confused on the antideppresants becuse I really don't like the way people treat me now, in the work place or at home. I need to try and get a filter in place and slowly reestablish myself amoung the living I have been on this stuff for 4 years. So it is not going to happen overnight. I don't feel too tired right now at the end of the work day so I am going to shop for some work out clothes and try to start exercising, maybe an hour after work a couple days a week to start with. I just look in the mirror and don't really recognize myself. And after all this I am going through to get off this stuff and live again, I have moments that I just want to start taking them agian and just forget about dealing with all this!! The only thing i can say to someone thiking about taking this "medication" is that if you start you should take it for the rest of your life. Getting off this hads been the worst thing physically andmentally I have ever done. BTW: still no libido and that went I mean really has been gone for a couple years. But it could also be because of the weight gain. I just wish it would come back. I am afraid that these last 4 months or so have taken such a toll on my relationship that I don't think is repairable. Right now I have to concentrate on me and getting this out of my system and restarting my life. I started the antideppressants after losing most of my family unexpectadly, I didn't have a personality disorder or fibro I just thought I needed some help temporarily.i should have just toughed it out.

$ymbalta changes your personality, no doubt about it. It is far too strong to be prescribed for dysthymia. Like you, I wish I had NEVER taken the crap. Yes, I gained weight and didn't care how awful i looked.
Exercise is bound to help you. The fact that you WANT to exercise is proof that your brain has escaped from the evil substance and is now working properly. I have days when my energy is very low, too. Then it returns the next day.
The fits of rage have subsided. Looking back, I'd say that $ymbalta screwed up Substance P and caused me to feel every minor cut or scrape as real pain and I responded with rage. Patience/frustration tolerance has returned, too. The fits of rage and cursing were more distressing than the zaps, nausea and fatigue.
I truly hope you reclaim every aspect of your life. Taking small, firm steps in the right direction will lead to progress and restoration. IMO $ymbalta short circuits motivation. Maybe that is related to its deadly effect on libido. Basically, it turns a fully functioning human into a piece of fat, angry cardboard!
Keep on keeping on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users