• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dforand

dforand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

Hello everyone, I just spent quite a bit of time going through the posts and replies in this forum and I all I have to say is OMG now it all makes sense!!!!!
In brief let me share my story. About a year ago I went to see the doc about pain in my neck and headache. He started me on cymbalta and everything went downhill from there.
Over the years I have experienced more health issues, joint pain, muscle pain, and we won't even begin to mention the weight gain. It all makes perfect sense now that this horrible medication was the cause of everything. My leg pain got so bad that last June I had to sit in a wheel chair at Disney. I knew there was no way I was going to be able to walk.
Several months ago I started exercising after realizing how much weight I had gain. I am pretty faithful and keep it low impact. However, the pain I feel afterwards is intense. The exhaustion is intense.

Over the past year I have been diagnosed and then undiagnosed with everything from Multiple Sclerosis to Fibromyalgia.
I have had a constant pain in my chest now for about 9 months. The doctors have ruled out everything and say it is muscular. This pain was not there before beginning this medicine.
My legs did not hurt before beginning this medicine.

Several times I did attempt to stop it thinking I did not need it anymore and the stress that I endured put me right back on it. My doctors do not feel that weaning off it is necessary.
So my only choice is to go cold turkey while I am in the process of switching physicians. I hope I can do this without serious side effects. I have too much going on in my life to be dealing with any more BS from this pill.
Would love suggestions on how I can get through this. I am going the natural route, with supplements, eating healthy and exercising.
I would also like to know if there is any documentation online that I can show my physician that this medication is evil.
Also is there a current law suit against the pharmaceutical company? If so please direct me in that direction.

#2 GrandPulse

GrandPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

Going cold turkey, you're probably going to get some HORRENDOUS side effects. I'd read up on what some people here are going through if you want a full picture of what you're going up against. You might want to direct your doctors to this site or others if they feel that weaning off is not necessary, because honestly, that's bullshit. You can go cold turkey, but you likely WILL get horrible withdrawal symptoms.

#3 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

Welcome to the world of Gymbalta withdrawal. You doctor has been duped by the slick ads that Eli Lilly places and by the perks they give for prescribing this drug.

Going cold turkey is NOT a good idea, IMO. Try to get some capsules ASAP and start counting granules. See posts by Uriel on this site for some excellent suggestions.

Yes, there ARE websites you can check you to confirm your suspicions:

http://www.ftenda.go...e/UCM172866.pdf

http://www.opednews....090216-416.html

http://www.slate.com...ug_secrets.html

However, your doctor will likely dismiss any evidence you present to her as 'unscientific, anectdotal, alarmist' whining because Eli Lilly has done a splendid job of marketing. Therefore it would be wise for you to write up a list of your complaints since starting $ymbalta, your concerns about side effects and your withdrawal experienc and INSIST that your list be included in your medical records. Otherwise the doc may conveniently forget to write down what you say.

Some people on this site have gotten help and information from their pharmacist. I told the pharmacist who filled my prescription about the suicide attempt that resulted from $ymbalta. she replied that it now has a black box. Right. Read the black box. It says 'young adults.' Apparently my pharmacist is visually impaired 'cause I ain't no young adult. Pass the buck. Say the right things to avoid legal consequences and keep the money flowing. Don't expect anyone in the health care business to look out for you.

#4 dforand

dforand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

First I must say I love the support of this forum. Never have I ever seen a group come together like this. Thanks!!
I have flipped flopped back and forth about getting off this drug cold turkey. I tried one day, and it felt as if I put my hand in an electrical socket. So I got back on it till the other day. Since I have been taking it I have had more health problems than ever. From spacisity to aches and pains. The only thing this medication did for me was help me cope with stress.
I want the stuff out of my system!!!
I am on day two and so far so good. A little bit of the shocking not to bad this time. My anxiety is up a bit, and I am a little cranky. I do have a doctors appointment but not till next week. Again I fear having this stuff in my body is worse than going through the side effects.

As far as law suits and ect. I can not afford an attorney, but I am looking at all the information out there. I have spent thousand of dollars on medical since starting this medication, and the bottom line is the doctors could not diagnosis me with anything. Soooo I want some of my money back.

#5 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

Sorry to hear that you have been put through the wringer by this stuff. The amount of money that can be spent on mainstream medicine without getting a cure is amazing. For some of us the 'cure' may be as simple as magnesium or thyroid supplements. The drug companies don't want us to cure ourselves with what is readily available at a sensible cost. That's why they advertise: "Depression hurts. $ymbalta can help" and we pay darn good money for a chemical that screws up TWO neurotransmitters at once and is harder to get out of your system then heroin. What is wrong with this equation??

You don't need money to get involved in a class action suit. Just google it and select a firm. You'll have to fax your medical records to them. Who knows when anything will come of it.

#6 dforand

dforand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the great info. I have already reported it to the FDA via that link. I am looking at different law firms havn't decided on that yet. I am currently on day 4 no meds. It has it's moments. When I wake up I feel great, clear headed and ready to face the day. As the day goes on though it gets tougher. I have brain zaps throughout the day, but worse in the afternoon and at night. I have had difficulties falling a sleep, and last night took some melotonin to help. Lots of tea, vitamins, gatorade, and exercise! I think the worst for me is the stress. Cymbalta was helping me cope with stress, now I have to find an alternative. Thanks for all the support.

#7 dforand

dforand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

I thought I would share an update on my endeavor of getting off this medicine. I am now day 7 cold turkey. I went to see a New doc the other day and he was completely understanding and totally agreed that cold turkey is not the way to go. Since I was already on day 7 and said lets try and continue. The brain zaps have eased up a bit. They are not as often as they were last week. Now the depression and mood swings are starting. Today was horrible, I bit everyone's head off, my self esteem hit rock bottom as well. I did increase my exercise and that does help. Only problem is finding time to exercise. The New doc prescribed me some Xanax for when my stress level gets to high. I was diagnosed with with a bad ulcer last week so he is concerned about my stress. He also provided me some medication to kick start my metabolism to help get this blasted weight off that this hell of a drug has put on me. So so far so good. My only support right now getting through this is you all. My fiance try's but he really does not understand. My daughter and son think it is in my head and I should just stop thinking about it.

so back to work tomorrow and another week to face.
Cheers all.

#8 dforand

dforand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

Hey all,
I am on day 15 since stopping cold turkey. It has gotten a little easier but I had a set back. Just shortly after my last post I received a call from my gastro doc. I had an endoscopy something I do every two years to monitor some gastro issues. Well it turned out I had the H Pylori infection. Which basically is a bad stomach infection but can make you feel ill in many different ways. So I have been on a very evasive antibiotic treatment that has its own side effects. I hope by next week I can tell exactly where I stand getting this drug out of my system.
I do still have brain and body zaps, usually late in the day when I am tired. I have some Xanax to help me through the rough spots but I can not take anything until this infection is gone. Hopefully it is detoxing all this god awful drug out of me.
Does anyone know how long these brain and body zaps will last? I really hate them. I know what they are but I read different information on how long to expect them to last after this medicine is out of my system.

#9 kzap

kzap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationWentzville , Mo
  • why_joining:
    Glad to know i"m not alone or crazy

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

Hi dforand

I'm on day 5 of no cymbalta. I'm really a mess so far today. On the physical and emotional rollercoaster ride big time. boy, youe name a symptom, and I've got it today.

Any way , say you have H-pylori. I suffered with that also and the antibiotic made me so sick that I turned to the internet for help. I found Manuka Honey (i get mine from Honeymark). It really seemed to help my gut until this cymbalta withdrawal started. I guess it still helps some , in fact , I just started taking it again. I highly recommend it for H-pylori. Just google Manuka Honey and read about it. I hope this information is beneficial to you.

Good luck with your recovery. May GOD Bless you , watch over you and keep you safe!!! :rolleyes:

#10 dforand

dforand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:16 PM

Kzap,
Thanks I will look it up. I am finally done with the treatment for the Hpylori, so now I continue on with the withdraws from the Cymbalta. Most of the day I am ok, but I find myself on that roller coaster ride as well. I wish my family understood a little better but they don't they push all the right buttons.

#11 perserver

perserver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:58 AM

Going cold turkey, you're probably going to get some HORRENDOUS side effects. I'd read up on what some people here are going through if you want a full picture of what you're going up against. You might want to direct your doctors to this site or others if they feel that weaning off is not necessary, because honestly, that's bullshit. You can go cold turkey, but you likely WILL get horrible withdrawal symptoms.

hi i am 3 weeks into going cold turkey i did try half a tab a day and then half a tab every 2 nd day but now i am so angry at this disgusting drug i refuse to take any more and the effects are horrible but i have shown this site to my family and now we all under stand i have to go through this and i am not imagining it i am 21yrs sober through aa and through aa i learnt this too shall pass but it would have been nice not too have happened in the first place ...so i am spreading the word and i am going to my gp next week to educate him and my chemist but most of all i will support this site till the day the govt request that the packets carry a readable print THE CONTENTS MAY PUT YOU IN HELL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users