3 replies to this topic

#1 becki

becki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

Hi, I've just started a VERY slow wean from this awful drug after having been on it for over 5 years for fibro. It initally helped with the fibro pain, but I don't even know what "normal" feels like anymore. I have felt so awful for years now, and after reading some of these posts, I"m starting to believe I"ve felt so horrible as a result of the drug.
I'm wondering if anyone else thinks that this drug might affect the thyroid, or mimic thyroid symptoms? My dr has tested and re tested my thyroid levels, as I"ve had every side effect of thyroid problems. The biggest ones being the weight gain, tiredness and my hair falling out. Sometimes my levels are fine, sometimes they are not. My dr put me on thyroid meds to see if they helped and they did not.
Just wondering if anyone else has had these symptoms.
I hate this med, and can't wait to get off of it.

#2 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

YES! Immediately after my last 'tapering' dose I developed fever and chills. It was like having malairia so I started taking MILK THISTLE. Then my temp was so low for several days that I thought the thermometer was broken. That's when I started doing some research.
Try these links for starters:
http://nahypothyroidism.org/ THERE ARE MANY OTHER SITES. You may want to google "Wilson's low temperature syndrome". Good info, but I think the supplements on that site contain too much selenium.
&
wellnessresources.com THIS SITE HAS AN EXCELLENT VIDEO DISCUSSION OF FIBRO, the best info I've come across so far. It makes sense! :)

I'm going to try iosol iodine very soon. Google it if you aren't familiar with it. Bladderwrack is also an excellent thyroid support substance. Nativeremedies.com has natural thyroid support products. They are rather expensive but a lot cheaper that mainstream medicine's wonderdrugs, like $ymbalta!

There's a lot of info out there but it's worth the time if you can learn something to improve your health. Please post an update if you find something that sounds helpful. I'm interested in hearing what you think about some of the information that is out there.

#3 Ezramae

Ezramae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hi, I've just started a VERY slow wean from this awful drug after having been on it for over 5 years for fibro. It initally helped with the fibro pain, but I don't even know what "normal" feels like anymore. I have felt so awful for years now, and after reading some of these posts, I"m starting to believe I"ve felt so horrible as a result of the drug.
I'm wondering if anyone else thinks that this drug might affect the thyroid, or mimic thyroid symptoms? My dr has tested and re tested my thyroid levels, as I"ve had every side effect of thyroid problems. The biggest ones being the weight gain, tiredness and my hair falling out. Sometimes my levels are fine, sometimes they are not. My dr put me on thyroid meds to see if they helped and they did not.
Just wondering if anyone else has had these symptoms.
I hate this med, and can't wait to get off of it.

I actually have an underactive thyroid and have been clinically diagnosed with it several years ago. A few months into taking cymbalta, I felt like my thryoid was "off." I had numerous testings and everything came back fine. I was within the levels I should be for my thyroid.

Basically I was getting the bloating after eating, hair falling out, couldn't stop eating, tired all the time and other thryoid related effects.

I went off Cymbalta three weeks ago and I feel normal now without the thyroid effects.

#4 Uriel

Uriel

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

Hi
During the weaning process my thyroid swelled so bad I felt like i had the mumps.
My Dr did all the blood tests and it all came back normal. It went down after 1 1/2.
I am sure this drug has something to do with it. I went to my naturopath and his testing shows an issue with my thyroid. I take Nova Scotia Dulces which is made from seaweed prescribed by the naturopath .I am now on my 2nd week of cymbalta and it's great. I never thought i would make it but I did. I am still having very slight withdrawl symptoms but very faint.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users