eoliver921

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    To know I am not alone

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

I have been on a variety of Antidepressants over the past 15 years. After several years on one or another I would feel they had become ineffective, so instead of upping a dose, I would change to another, always successfully with no problems. 3 or so years ago I started Cymbalta 60mg 1x per day. Helped with depressive and anxiety issues. I did notice, though, if I missed a dose, I would notice within a few hours that I hadn't taken it. When I mentioned it to my Psych, the response was that Cymbalta was one that is not supposed to do that - it has a longer "shelf life". So, I decided to live with it. Over this period of time, I have noticed I have NO emotions - it takes something crazy major to make me cry, etc. I have tried to wean back to 30mg different times, but the crying and irritation would start, so I would just give up. Well, I don't know what happened to me, but I decided I did not want this drug to control me and my emotions any more. I didn't have it refilled. It is has been approximately 2 weeks.

The withdrawals from this drug are completely absurd. I want to know what is happening in my brain that causes the "zaps". It is still almost constant. I am crying so so easily, and everything hurts my feelings! I have vomited from nausea - I'd swear I was pregnant if I didn't know better. My face is HOT, but I don't have a fever. And, of course, everyone gets on my nerves and I want to scream and be hateful to them. And yes, I work full time in a high school office - I know the hen pen wonders what is wrong with me.

I haven't shared with my mother or my husband, the two people closest to me in my life. I know they will both tell me I NEED to be on it, and I know I don't NEED to. I know if I wasn't having these horrid side effects, I would actually be feeling okay. I know my husband is wondering what in the hell is wrong with me, as I am being harder on our kids and crying about everything. I'm sure he wants to ask if I am taking my "happy" pills, but he dare not :)

I'm relieved to know we all have these symptoms, and I'm not alone. I am trying to ear fairly often to help with the nausea. I'm trying not to talk to anyone so I don't give them the evil eye or say something hateful. I have to force myself to smile and be nice. My husband said last night after I gave my kids another lecture about their behavior that my eyes are very red and something is wrong. I just ignored him and went to the bathroom and cried.

I know most of you won't read all of this, but it makes me feel better to write it. I am trying to survive and wonder how long these wicked withdrawals will last. Thanks for reading, I think I'll go cry now... :)

Attached Files

#2 okeydoke

okeydoke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

I could have been the one writing your post eoliver921. I guess I'm not the only one who has been affected...or could it be infected. I have...had been on $ymbalta 60 then 120mg since it was on the market (I think). My brain feels so fried I have to retype almost every word. I can no longer spell,type or communicate verbally very well. When the crying became so bad that I wouldn't speak for fear of what would happen, my psyc dr prescribed Lamotrigine 100 the 200mg, then added bupropion er 150 then 300mg. Actually I functioned pretty well at my job as a CphT promoted to the billing dept.

The symptoms and problems I blamed on myself and my supervisors. I began to think they had it out for me and wanted to get rid of me because I was having so much trouble learning new things.

Having been on Celebrex for my knees and I could not continue on due to creating ulcerative colitis. I had to have both knees replaced. The cymbalta really helped til the UC returned. I wanted to go off the Cymbalta to see if the UC would go back in remission. And my Dr had been supplying me with samples because I didn't..don't have Rx insurance. I weened myself off with what I had left. twice before I went cold turkey 5 days each time because dr didn't have samples.I felt I was really losing it. Since I worked in a pharmacy that only serviced nursing homes I knew how to ween off a drug...Cybalta requires more than I ever even heard of. Right now I'm having sweats then shivers, brain fog and losing time and sometimes don't know what day or even month it is. I am due to see my psyc Dr in june. I'm afraid my dr will want to admit me to a psyc hospital. (I signed into one many years ago because I was suicidal. The Dr I was seeing then did not see me or prescribe anything to help me, so after 3 days I signed myself out because these patients were bouncing off the walls). Well maybe that's where I belong right now as I am bouncing off walls myself due to the dizziness, nauseousness, forgetfulness, pain in thighs, twisted cramping in lower calves ect.

Thank you for reading. I cannot drive anymore having passed out and hit my head. I haven't been able to work since either. No dr would give me an ok to return to work. much much more too much to handle today and I am having a good day except for the migraine in the back of my neck.and my writing and rewriting this to fix spelling and trying to make sure you could understand. Sometimes people just look at me and I can see I'm not using the correct words. Enough......

#3 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

Read it! :P You WILL get better. It takes 4-6 weeks for the worst to be over, gathering from the posts on this site. You can make things better for yourself and your family by ARMING YOURSELF WITH INFORMATION. Start here:
http://www.fda.gov/d...e/UCM172866.pdf
This site contains lots of info. Pick and choose what helps you. Print out some of it for your family to read so they will understand that your behavior is not at all abnormal. This drug has screwed up two of the neurotransmitters in your brain. Norepinephrine doesn't like having its 'candy' taken away and it's making its displeasure know to your body.
PLEASE report your experience to the FDA. It doesn't take long to fill out the form. The more complaints they get the sooner this crap can be removed from the market. Here's the link: www.fda.gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Spend some time reading through the posts on this site to learn what has helped other people. Everyone is different but you've got to try SOMETHING: Milk thistle, castor oil patches, 5 HTP, ginger gravol, or even another antidepressant to help you through this.
This site is very supportive as well as informative.
Please keep us posted on your progress. People who have already been throug this horror understand what your are going through and WANT to help you get to to a better place.
:)

#4 crazycatgirl82

crazycatgirl82

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

I just can't believe we all have to go through this. 2 weeks later I'm still in hell :(

#5 becki

becki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

I"m so sorry for all you are all (WE are all ), going through! I am trying the VERY slow weaning method, from 60 mg. I made a plan that will take at least 14 weeks. During the 14 weeks, I am leading a team of 13 people to work at an orphanage for a week in China. I also have to go on vacation for a week with the in laws. I'm not sure I can be nice during that time, so I might not lower my doses those weeks. The slow weaning is hard every week for a day or two, but tolerable. I'm on my 4th week. I'm so tired of this controlling my life. I don't even know what "normal" feels like anymore.
We will get through this together!
THanks for sharing your experiences.
(and I hope this makes sense, as I just lowered my dose two days ago and my brain is not working right, today).

#6 kzap

kzap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationWentzville , Mo
  • why_joining:
    Glad to know i"m not alone or crazy

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

Hi becki
Just thought I'd say hello and let you know that you are in my prayers during your recovery from cymbalta---You are definitely on the right track to plan a slow withdrawal since you will be going to an orphanage in china in addition to a vacation with in-laws. Hopefully the physical and emotional rollercoaster ride will be gradual-----I'm not far along in the process to offer much advice, but make sure you read the advice listed in these blogs and try some natural supplements for the symptoms you are having before you leave om your trip.

Good luck and MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU SAFE!!!

#7 becki

becki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

Hi becki
Just thought I'd say hello and let you know that you are in my prayers during your recovery from cymbalta---You are definitely on the right track to plan a slow withdrawal since you will be going to an orphanage in china in addition to a vacation with in-laws. Hopefully the physical and emotional rollercoaster ride will be gradual-----I'm not far along in the process to offer much advice, but make sure you read the advice listed in these blogs and try some natural supplements for the symptoms you are having before you leave om your trip.

Good luck and MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU SAFE!!!

Thanks Kzap! Are you doing a gradual withdrawal? I did a lot of research on this site that made me decide to do the slow withdrawal. My dr. was not helpful, though she did warn me that I after I quit (after a month of every other day), i would have a "rough month". Her solution to me was more drugs. No thanks! I will look into the supplements. Thanks and thanks for the prayers!

#8 kzap

kzap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

hi again becky
i was on 90mg/day since feb 2008---my dr had me go down to 60mg for 1 week, then 30mg for i week then 30mg every other day----i reall just thought a had another bad flair-up of my fibromyalgia-----i was in soo much pain in my joints and muscles,dizziness, brain zaps ,headaches, nausea vivid dreams /nightmares sweating and freezing, sore throat, earaches, etc, etc , etc----- like i said, firbro along with the flu-----i really didn't know any better-----i finally looed up withdrawal symptoms for cymbalta on the internet-------i ran across this site and couldn't believe it----i started opening up my 30mg caps and now i've veen taking about 15mg /day for the past week----i emailed my dr about these sie effects and he also started me on prozac 20mg daily------i added benadryl 50mg at bedtime tohelp me sleep and omega3-6-9 daily------i'm still hurting (flu like)all overmy body and i'm dizzy but with less brain zaps, and i still have waves of nausea and crazy dream even with short catnaps------i think i'm some better----i haven't taken any cymbalta today---i'm trying to take 15mg every other day for a few days then stop it------i can't wait to get some sanity back in my life again-------i have a lot of people praying for me and i kno w that god will get me/all of us thru this.

#9 silverseed71

silverseed71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

I am almost a month in recovery of cymbalta and I still cry at every little thing, I do have the zaps but not as bad. My sister is an RN and she wanted me to explain what brain zaps were. I told her it was like when you hit your funny bone but in your head. My biggest problem is that my temper has increased beyond my own control. I hate my life right now!!!!!!

#10 eoliver921

eoliver921

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    To know I am not alone

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

Yesterday my family and I spent the day at the Biltmore House (in NC if you haven't heard of it). It was my most normal day so far. I laughed like I haven't laughed in weeks. My husband even commented on it. The main problem I struggled with was the nausea - I swear it is like be pregnant again. The brain zaps were fewer.

This morning I am exhausted - my back is killing me and I have had quite a few brain zaps so far this morning. But the feeling of normal I had gave me so much hope for the light at the end of the tunnel. Not to be personal, but I even had sex with my darling husband last night for the first time in weeks, and I didn't hate it for the first time in months or years.

Becki - good luck, I know God will be with you. I went to Honduras last year for 11 days and it was quite the experience.

Everyone else, please update us with how your withdrawals are going.

I have added Omega 3-6-9 and started taking a heartburn med to help with the nausea. I'll let you all know :)

#11 becki

becki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for the updates. Yes,the moodiness is awful. I have 3 kids (16,14 and6) and I just have to hide in my room because every little noise makes me cringe, or want to bite someones head off.
I am decreasing very gradually, so other than the moodiness, I have at least one day a week where I just SLEEP. I spent today, mothers day, sleeping from 1-6 pm. Can't wait to be done with all this! Please keep posting updates, it helps to know we're not alone!

#12 eoliver921

eoliver921

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    To know I am not alone

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

Tody has been horrible. After I posted this morning, I proceeded to get the chills. I've had a fever of 102 ish all day. My lower back is killing me...I'm now getting concerned that I should go to the doc tomorrow if it's not better. It's hard to know whether or not it is withdrawals or something else. I've taken phenergan I had left over from something for the nausea and about 5 mg of Oxycodone I had left over from some other surgery. I've cried and prayed allay. I know this is not what God wants for me. He wants me to be free. I got my mom to come spend the night so she can take m 8 year old twins to school in the morning.

I,emailed my boss that I have the flu and won't be there tomorrow. I'm so embarrassed, I've hardly ever missed work and I've missed one day each week for the past three weeks. Things at work have been stressful, and I bet he thinks I can't handle it. I definitely can, just not w withdrawals.

Have a good night all.

#13 kzap

kzap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

hi eoliver921-----sorry to hear you ended up having such a bad day----i'm a retired rn and i suggest you at least call your dr tomrrow. don't fool around too long if you have a 102 temp---maybe thereis something else going on other than cymbalta withdrawal. back pain can also idicate some problem with your kidneys----who knows what damage this poison has done to our bodies-----plus, your dr should know how sick you are withdrawing from this crap---please keep us informed about your health----you are in my prayers ----take care of yourself----may god bless you and keep you safe.

#14 becki

becki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

Tody has been horrible. After I posted this morning, I proceeded to get the chills. I've had a fever of 102 ish all day. My lower back is killing me...I'm now getting concerned that I should go to the doc tomorrow if it's not better. It's hard to know whether or not it is withdrawals or something else. I've taken phenergan I had left over from something for the nausea and about 5 mg of Oxycodone I had left over from some other surgery. I've cried and prayed allay. I know this is not what God wants for me. He wants me to be free. I got my mom to come spend the night so she can take m 8 year old twins to school in the morning.

I,emailed my boss that I have the flu and won't be there tomorrow. I'm so embarrassed, I've hardly ever missed work and I've missed one day each week for the past three weeks. Things at work have been stressful, and I bet he thinks I can't handle it. I definitely can, just not w withdrawals.

Have a good night all.

eoliver, so sorry to hear about your bad day. Praying for a better day for you tomorrow. Keep us posted.

#15 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

Have a good night all.

Sorry to hear about your misery. I had the same flu like experience in the early days of withdrawal. You liver is working overtime to deal with whatever $ymbalta has done. I had fever off and on for a few weeks. Someone posted info about castor patches that may help you. Milk thistle is a natural liver tonic. Thank God you have help with your kids. I pity any child under the care of a person going through withdrawal!
I hope you can return to work asap. You may need to inform you boss. Certainly $ymbalta withdrawal should be covered by some type of employee rights law.
What you are going through is a horrible experience so don't underestimate it's power to cause suffering and damage. Read as many posts on this site and find some nutritional supplements to help. The more knowledge you gain the better you will be able to help yourself get through the next few weeks. Also, some people have been helped by the supplements they found at a site called TRUE HOPE.
Please report your experience to the FDA. We need to get $ymbalta out of the hands of doctors who prescribe it without realizing how dangerous it really is. You should also have your liver enymes checked. If they are high that may be a good medical excuse for missing time from work.
Keep us posted. You are in my prayers. I would not have survived the ordeal without faith in God! :)

#16 eoliver921

eoliver921

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    To know I am not alone

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:33 PM

I hate to say I'm thankful, but I AM thankful - I went to the doc and have a bladder and kidney infection. He put me on Cipro for 2 weeks to knock it and anything else that might be lurking around in there out. I'm thankful it wasn't side effects of the Cymbalta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users