• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AliTaylor

AliTaylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

Hi so I'm new here and so thankful i found this forum. Im 19 and I've been on and off all types of medication for OCD, anxiety and depression since I was 10 (including one hospitilazation). I'm proud to say I made it to college (penn state) and was medication free my freshman year. I was so glad cause after trying celexa, zoloft, lexapro, xanax, klonopin, and cymbalta during my 19 years I was over always feeling "out of it" from meds. Unfortuantely I had a a terrible relapse this past year and went back on cymbalta (reluctantly) about two months ago. They started me again at a low dosage of 30mg so i thought when i stopped it cold turkey about 2 weeks ago I wouldn't have any withdrawel symptoms considering it was so low and i wasnt back on them that long. Never have I ever been so wrong. My "brain zaps" on top of the nausea and constant bathroom trips is literally unberable. I always feel foggy and tired now and im always so hungry but nothing ever seems to satisfy. I feel like ive been on meds for literally half my life and Its really discouraging to see this happening to me when all i want to do is rid myself of them forever. Can someone give me any idea for how long these symptoms are going to last? I tried to seek advice from other columns but it seems as though everyone else was on a much higher dosage for much longer than me so im confused as to why im having these terrible symptoms. please help I really cant tell my parents and friends I stopped meds again and I really feel like I have no one to turn to that understands what I'm going through- at least I finally have some hope from finding this forum, thanks in advance.

#2 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:00 AM

Congratulations on what you have achieved in spite of the challenges you have faced! Don't let this withdrawal nightmare throw you off course because it WILL END. My symptoms lasted for about 4 weeks before gradually subsiding. What helped me most was opening the capsule and OCCASIONALLY taking 50-100 granules (didn't make an exact count of them) IN THE MORNING. This helped me to have a 'good' day. The sooner you get the stuff out of your system the better but, as you know, the symptoms are sometimes unbearable and this helped me to cope. Just knowing that you have the option to ease the suffering for at least one day makes it easier to focus on the final goal: freedom from antidepressants.
Here's some interesting info on the dangers of antidepressants:
http://www.facebook....1968748F21B68CB
Also, try some natural/herbal remedies. Milk thistle helped me. There is a site called TRUE HOPE that has helped some people. Give your brain and body all the help you can because two neurotransmitters are trying to recover from the toxic effects of $ymbalta. 5 HTP helped me and I'm still taking it.
Wellnessresources.com has EXCELLENT information on nutrition. I believe my lifelong battle with depression/anxiety was due to a magnesium deficiency and low thyroid function. The point is: EDUCATE YOURSELF on depression. Here's some info on the evils of $ymbalta. Print out some of it and use it to defend yourself against well meaning family members who simply do no understand that these drugs do more harm than good.

#3 renaquagirl

renaquagirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

THis is good and hopeful to hear. :)

#4 TXcounselor

TXcounselor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    On Cymbalta for about a year for peripheral neuropathy. Withdrawal from the drug has been hellish and life-changing. Need support and want to support others.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

AliTaylor...did you titrate down or stop cold turkey? I was on 30 mg for about a year and tried to titrate for a week and stop (one every other day at my neurologist's suggestion) and it was truly awful. I got back on at 20 mg (primary doc called in this lower dose), then did 20 mg for a week, 15 mg for a week (roughly. I opened the capsules and eyeballed half of the 30 mg), then a week at 10 mg, then I stopped. I took my last Cymbalta April 22nd. The slow wean worked better, although I was still miserable throughout. The sudden drop was a misery level 10 on a 10 scale (thought about going to the hospital) and the slow wean was maybe a 6 or 7...bad but I didn't think I would die.

After stopping 10 mg, I had a few days of vertigo, nausea, zapping, and moodiness. After that, I had about a week of moodiness and zapping at about a 5 on a 10 scale, then maybe a 3 on a 10 scale. Now I'm about 26 days "clean" and I just have occasional zapping and moodiness/tearfulness. I almost feel normal.

Lots of people, mostly doctors, suggested going back on Cymbalta. This is absurd unless you're going back on to wean more slowly to get off for good or unless you really think you would die without it (and even then, I would find someone who could help you off when you're able). Maybe something else with a better track record, but not Cymbalta. God only knows what it does/did to out bodies if it was that torturous to get off of it. Hang in there. This forum helped me so much.

Please tell someone around you that you stopped meds...I'm sure you have your reasons to keep it to yourself, but someone needs to know what's wrong if it gets any worse for you or if you have a medical reaction. :( And take care of yourself!

#5 Riggsey

Riggsey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

I know the horrors of cymbalta and what they did to me.
If you are struggling with anxiety and depression PLEASE type 'The Linden Method' into your search engine. Go to the website and read all the information.
I had CHRONIC anxiety since I was a child. This year I bought The Linden Method and voila - TOTAL ANXIETY RECOVERY!!! BUT ONLY IF YOU DO THE METHOD!!!!!

I promise it will work for you. I would never just flippantly say this because I very well know how desperate and vulnerable anxious people feel. Going from pillar to post looking for an answer.

Good luck with your journey xxxx

#6 freefrom11

freefrom11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:07 AM

Wow...do i ever feel at home here. I am in the process of getting off cymbalta and this sucks!
I was a week in of weaning and decided to go cold turkey! Either way it is horrible and i hope it does end for everybody and myself!

#7 psather

psather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

on a rollercoaster ride!! just started reading more on cymbalta withdrawals and realizing what a mess this drug has made of my life! I am in the process of getting divorced. I now recognize that the entire reason for my divorce was cymbalta, I just didn't know that it was what was causing the extreme lethargy, depression, lack of motivation. I had been off and on it for 2-3yrs. struggling with awful side effects and lessening effectiveness while on it and struggling with bad advice from dr. on getting off each time causing terrible, awful withdrawals. I thought I was just getting sicker(diagnosed with fibromyalgia), after seeing my story over and over on these sites I realize it was not me getting sicker it was cymbalta making me sicker. I had to call my dr and ask for 20mg pills and tell her my plans to come off much slower from the 60mg. I weaned off over 6-7weeks and am doing much better this time but now that I am starting (and I mean just starting) to feel some normalcy I am very irate that this may have cost me my marriage. gave up my job and moved already and now am scared to death at the length of time this could take for me to get completely normal again. I still have body zaps, aches, insomnia, stomache issues and the major sadness/depression keeps hitting me hard(although they all are getting a little less frequent). I have no desire yet to work or play, no interest in visiting family (I love my kids and grandkids desperatly though!) I am feeling a little more normal 'me' a little more often everyday though! It has been just about 6weeks off and it is getting better little by little but sadly a little too late!

#8 Lazydaizy

Lazydaizy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • why_joining:
    I recently weaned off Cymbalta, after using it for 2 years for depression. The depression is gone, but now I'm in the withdrawal horrors

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

Hope you're keeping well Ali. I get so angry at how easily Dr's prescribe AD's.
Being on Cymbalta has screwed up my nervous system too, but I am experimenting with alternative coping mechanisms for the awful anxiety I have since I stopped taking it.
So far, exercise gives the most instant relief, but is not always practical with my kids.
I'm also taking St John's Wort, flax seed oil and b vits/minerals.
I also plan to start yoga to help with my racing, intrusive thoughts.
All my thoughts are with you x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users