• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 friday

friday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:03 PM

My husband started cmb withdrawl cold turkey a week ago. He's a nasty person. I'd file for divorce but I know it's not him. My question is this. He is an alocholic who is sobber at this time and has been sober for a year. He's also been on cym for 10 months. he has horrid withdrawls from the alochol. He tends to have seizures, halucinations etc. He almost died the last 2 times. He did these inpatient too. Should I expect this withdrawl to be close to the same, or worse?

This is really sad, but I just want to give him a pill and stop this crazy mess. We take it for memory loss and polyneropothy in his legs. It did seem to help. Lyrica did nothing and we don't take it anymore. We never fought like this on his other withdrawls. I also have anti seizure mends here. Do you think he should take them? I won't hold anyone liable I just want to be as safe as possible knowing his past and not being able to see a DR. We can not get insurance and even the insurance bank declined him. He stopped for financial reasons. House or drugs.

#2 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:22 PM

Friday,
No one here is a doctor, so we can't give you medical advice. All we can do is share our experiences and tell what helped us through the withdrawal. Everyone on here has very different stories, so it is truly hard to predict how your husband's body might react to the Cymbalta withdrawal. It sounds like your husband has several medical problems in addition to dealing with the Cym withdrawal. Most people say the worst part of the withdrawal is the first 1-2 weeks, and then it gets a little better. Since your husband is through a week, hopefully within a few days he will be doing better! Good Luck!! It will get better!

#3 anton_chigurh

anton_chigurh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:29 AM

I'm a chemical dependency case manager, not a physician, but I do know the science of withdrawal form alcohol and other drugs of abuse.

Alcohol is one of the most dangerous drugs to withdraw from. People who are late stage addicts with extreme physical dependence to alcohol can expire as a result of untreated withdrawal. It is a medical procedure usually done by nurses and monitored by physicians. It is serious business. From what i've read, it sounds like your husband may fit in this category. I would suggest he seek medical care were he to ever start drinking again.

I know little other than my own experience and what I've read here about Cymbalta withdrawal. Nothing leads me to believe it is even close to being as serious a medical condition as EtOH withdrawal. But i don't have all the facts so take that for what it is.

From my own experience, it is a very different withdrawal experience than that of recreational drugs (including alcohol). I do not crave cymbalta the way i did my drug of choice. I'm not obsessed with getting it in my system. Quite the opposite in fact. I can't wait to be rid of it forever. So for me, it's not psychologically in the same class. An entirely different experience.

Physically I'm experiencing lots of really unpleasant physicals symptoms not all that different form other withdrawal, but with out the compulsion to use. Not quite as bad as cold turkey from opiods.

I don't know how much that helps but it is what little I know and have personally experienced.

#4 marcushowlin

marcushowlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:35 AM

Bless your heart for the love and support you give. You are the barameter of normal by which you will both measure his progess.

#5 anton_chigurh

anton_chigurh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 01:50 PM

It's withdrawal in every sense of the word. A drug is removed from the brain/neuro system and the body is scrambling to resume making the necessary neurotransmitters at the level it did before the drug was introduced. The result it a drop in 'normal' levels of neurotransmitters causing painful physical and emotional symptoms. That is withdrawal. Calling it anything else is positively Orwellian. This is of course nothing but my opinion. But it is an educated opinion.

What a great group of folks i have wandered into. Thank you all.

Ben

#6 friday

friday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 02:46 PM

Thank you for all of your help. My husband said he wasn't having withdraw feelings like he did with alochol. However his neropothy and mental problems became much worse than they were before he tried to quit. He's having a hard time consintrating and little memory now and he's having a harder time with the loss of feeling in his legs. Which is making him extremly frustrated and angry. But those issues are the reasons we began taking it in the begining. Which is the lesser of 2 evils? I think we will go back and start to taper off more slowly. Hopefully his conditions won't worsen. At least he'll be happy. Thank you all for your support.

#7 DuneAlia

DuneAlia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:07 PM

Delete my account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users