1 reply to this topic

#1 freeme2

freeme2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

I am reading both individuals that go through a slow tapering versus going from 90 to 60mg, 60mg to 30mg, 30mg to 0mg quick drop.
Does it seem like each person will experience withdrawals whether you are tapering slow or a quick drop.
I am hoping that the slow tapering is less severe than the quick drop?

I am getting ready to wean off, but if you slow taper and feel withdrawal for 8 wks while decreasing dose doesn't it make sense just to get it over with with cold turkey which I don't know how many days you go through bad symptoms.

If I do a slow taper, it is going to take me all summer to get off.

Also it seems like the withdrawals effects take about 3 days after you drop??

Those people who are slow tapering.. How would you rate your symptoms. Can you function all day or do you have hours of non-function?

For those doing a quick drop, how many days do you experience max withdrawals.

I am going to start a journal and jot down how I feel.
This is so scary to have to go through withdrawals that affect my life so much.

#2 ta2edredhead

ta2edredhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

I am tapering slow this time to help combat some of the serious withdrawals I went through last time I quit an SSRI (Paxil) cold turkey. Below is an old journal entry I wrote when going through it cold turkey. Mind you, everyone withdrawals differently, at different rates and intensities...

This weekend has been by far, the worst weekend in my entire 31 years. This paxil withdraw has finally got the best of me. I have no control over my emotions anymore. I go between so depressed that I’m curled up on the couch crying, to so angry that I’m throwing things. Except I’m not angry over anything in particular. Everything is setting me off. I have had really bad dizzy spells which I know are normal but these are the most severe I’ve ever had. I also have extremely bad body temperature episodes. One minute I’m ice cold and the very next minute I am burning up and sweating. I can’t sleep because of the legs cramps and on top of it all, I am SO extremely bloated that I can’t even wear my elastic sweat pants. I look like I’m about 7 months pregnant. I don’t know how to deal with all of this! I am a wreck. I feel like I’m about to hyperventilate at any moment. I don’t know how to get a handle on this. I’m crying at the drop of a hat. Hell, the phone rings and I start crying!

I feel like the symptoms have taken my life and rip it to shreds, mocking my dignity and stealing my freedom. They have ravaged my soul. They have deadened my spirit. In fact, death seems like a blessing because the pain of attempting to end paxil is so great. If I could impress upon anyone reading this only one thing, it would be this: The symptoms of paxil withdrawal will end. They can’t go on forever. They can’t. I will survive!

This is just a short list of the symptoms I have had while withdrawing from the paxil. I am ONLY on day 4 of not taking my paxil - Dizziness, which can be quite extreme at times. Shocks, called the ’zaps’. Sensory sensitivity, especially sounds. Any noise can become a painful experience. Also, being under florescent lights can create discomfort. Touch, motion and even smell can be painful. Nausea. Confusion, memory problems, and difficulty with concentration. Severe insomnia and/or nightmares, (now there’s a winning combination!)Extreme mood swings, such as intense grief and intense anger. Suicidal thoughts. Headaches, sometimes quite severe. Difficulty walking or talking. Reduced or no appetite (Ha! Why didn’t anyone tell me this over the weekend! I ate sooo much!)Intense
fear of losing my sanity. Depersonalization, where nothing seems real; it’s like you are outside your body. Panic attacks. Sweating, sometimes profusely. Blurred vision. Muscle cramps and stomach cramps. Diarrhea. Chills/hot flashes, part of the ’paxil-flu’. Fatigue. Painful, swollen eyes or mouth. Hard to swallow. Grinding teeth. Numbness. Itching. Trembling. Hallucinations.
Fun life, ain’t it???

So far, tapering slow, I haven't had it rough like I did above. Yes, sore throat, very sluggish, headache and some light/sound sensitivity, muscle cramps, but nothing like I was experiencing above when I stopped cold turkey. Only you know what's best for you. If you stop cold turkey and it's too extreme, go back on and taper slower. I'm going down 1.75mg per day and it seems to be working for me :)

Good luck!

Pepper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users