87 replies to this topic

#1 smeagol

smeagol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

Today, I've been off Cymbalta for 52 days.

Congratulations? NO! Absolutely NO! My anxiety and depression is getting worse recently.

Tremor/shaking everyday, muscle pain, headache everyday. Pain in the stomach is killing me.

From last week I found myself forgot how to smile. I sort of lost all my interest.

I don't know what happened. Doctor told me this is relapse and suggest me to take another SSRI.

I am desperate. Yes, to be Cymbalta free, I made it. However, I can't cope. I can't live a life now.

#2 Guest_iceagetrail_*

Guest_iceagetrail_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hello Smeagol,

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through hell. I am not a doctor and have not been Cymbalta free for as long as you have, so you can take what I say with a grain of salt. However, it hurts me to read the pain that is evident in your post and if my words can provide some relief to you it is worth it. My two cents is that what you are experiencing is most likely not withdrawal symptoms. Although I have heard of people experiencing withdrawal symptoms for a year, it seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Perhaps you could speak with your doctor about a low dose of an anti-anxiety medication or a more tolerable depression med to see if that helps the tremors, shaking, etc. If nothing else, it might provide a placebo effect for you that could make life somewhat bearable. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, smeagol. :)

#3 smeagol

smeagol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hello Smeagol,

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through hell. I am not a doctor and have not been Cymbalta free for as long as you have, so you can take what I say with a grain of salt. However, it hurts me to read the pain that is evident in your post and if my words can provide some relief to you it is worth it. My two cents is that what you are experiencing is most likely not withdrawal symptoms. Although I have heard of people experiencing withdrawal symptoms for a year, it seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Perhaps you could speak with your doctor about a low dose of an anti-anxiety medication or a more tolerable depression med to see if that helps the tremors, shaking, etc. If nothing else, it might provide a placebo effect for you that could make life somewhat bearable. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, smeagol. :)

So you think this is my anxiety problem, instead of withdrawal.

So I have to be back onto whatever SSRI shit?

#4 smeagol

smeagol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

So you think this is my anxiety problem, instead of withdrawal.

So I have to be back onto whatever SSRI shit?

The reason I am still holding on and fighting is that many people in this forum and other forums like paxilprogress.org, and the book "Recovery & Renewal" told me: the rebounded anxiety will be high and even worse than that before you were put onto the drug. And it could last for a few months.

I almost want to give up. And I don't know how to judge it is withdrawal or just relapse. But what you said is exactly the doctors told me: it is not withdrawal!

Thank you for further shaking my faith...

#5 Guest_iceagetrail_*

Guest_iceagetrail_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

The reason I am still holding on and fighting is that many people in this forum and other forums like paxilprogress.org, and the book "Recovery & Renewal" told me: the rebounded anxiety will be high and even worse than that before you were put onto the drug. And it could last for a few months.

I almost want to give up. And I don't know how to judge it is withdrawal or just relapse. But what you said is exactly the doctors told me: it is not withdrawal!

Thank you for further shaking my faith...

Dear smeagol,

Your last statement of "thank you for for further shaking my faith" was hurtful and wholly inappropriate. You asked a question and I responded based on my experience and extensive reading of Cymbalta withdrawal issues. While I can understand that you are going through tremendous pain, that does not make it okay to be hurtful to someone who was responding to your request for input. I pray that you find peace in your current situation.

#6 smeagol

smeagol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

Dear smeagol,

Your last statement of "thank you for for further shaking my faith" was hurtful and wholly inappropriate. You asked a question and I responded based on my experience and extensive reading of Cymbalta withdrawal issues. While I can understand that you are going through tremendous pain, that does not make it okay to be hurtful to someone who was responding to your request for input. I pray that you find peace in your current situation.

Your response has no difference against the doctors'. So I was just telling you the truth, you further shake my faith. I got so scared and felt hopeless when I saw your "response". I should just ignore it but I hurt you. Sorry, my sincere apology.

#7 tomitsu

tomitsu

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:31 AM

Smeagol, I have been off since March 2012. I, too am still experiencing depression and some anxiety. It can absolutely be due to Cymbalta withdrawal. To iceagetrail, you are not a doctor and you are incorrect in saying that what we are experiencing is not from Cymbalta Withdrawal. It can very much be due to the wd. The only reason I am still here is bc of all the herbs and Supplements and diet changes I've had to make to fight. Plus thousands of dollars worth of medical procedures; because I am not taking any other anti depressants! No more! Cymbalta had robbed me of so much. I'm not going that route anymore. Perhaps that is why my progress is slower...,but I believe that I have a chance at life without any meds. At least for a while. Hang in there!!!!

#8 smeagol

smeagol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

Smeagol, I have been off since March 2012. I, too am still experiencing depression and some anxiety. It can absolutely be due to Cymbalta withdrawal. To iceagetrail, you are not a doctor and you are incorrect in saying that what we are experiencing is not from Cymbalta Withdrawal. It can very much be due to the wd. The only reason I am still here is bc of all the herbs and Supplements and diet changes I've had to make to fight. Plus thousands of dollars worth of medical procedures; because I am not taking any other anti depressants! No more! Cymbalta had robbed me of so much. I'm not going that route anymore. Perhaps that is why my progress is slower...,but I believe that I have a chance at life without any meds. At least for a while. Hang in there!!!!

Tomitsu,

I tried my best. But it is time to give up. I am not saying I will go back to Cymbalta, no way! I mean, I have to take another SSRI, maybe Lexpro, to make me coping. The depression and anxiety is getting worse and worse.

#9 Guest_iceagetrail_*

Guest_iceagetrail_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

Tomitsu, I am not a doctor and I never represented myself to be a doctor. My guess is that you are not a doctor either. If you would have read my posting correctly, you would know that I never told the original poster that this was definitely not withdrawal. We all have our own opinions based on our experiences with Cymbalta. I wanted to respond to the original poster since no one had responded to her. Her pain was evident in her posting and my heart went out to her. The original poster asked for my opinion and I provided it. This forum is supposed to be about kindness and healing, not cheap shots.

Tomitsu and Smeagol, I wish you both the very best.

#10 autimom4ever

autimom4ever

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

From the research I have done, It can take up to a year for some people.....

Hang on and speak with a doc that really understands....

Good luck

#11 tomitsu

tomitsu

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:43 AM

Iceagetrail,

No cheap shots from me. But you did write the following:
"My two cents is that what you are experiencing is most likely not withdrawal symptoms. Although I have heard of people experiencing withdrawal symptoms for a year, it seems to be the exception rather than the rule."
I'm not a doctor but I was simply agreeing with you in saying you 'are not a doctor'.
Smeagol, I am still going through the withdrawal. Try reading Bliss Johns book about recovery "recovery and renewal" it is helping me a lot. It details what many people and doctors refuse to see as withdrawal. Many people have a hard time believing one can still be in withdrawals after months of being off an anti depressant BUT it happens. You can go talk to a doctor about what is best course of action for you right now to get thru this phase. Try and stay away from benzo's though if possible. Stay strong!!!!

#12 tomitsu

tomitsu

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

BTW....I am very depressed and have anxiety again as of 2 weeks ago. Looking at residential treatment for anxiety/depression. I'm in a rut where I cannot get out of bed to even eat. I have windows of a day or two here and there but then it's back to my bed where I hide.

#13 Heartfeathers

Heartfeathers

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • why_joining:
    I no longer trust the medical profession and I will NEVER take another prescription drug again! NEVER!!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

I am now 6 months off of Cymbalta, and I STILL get withdrawal symptoms. I am taking 10 mg of Prozac to help with it.

#14 2ksmommy

2ksmommy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

new to this site... several problems during my 4 year relationship with cymbalta 60mg worse being uncontrolled spending, lying about stupid stuff and cheating on my husband... i simply had no regard for any of my actions and felt as if i wasn't in REALITY... i am (per doctor) backing down by taking meds farther and farther days apart. below are my symptoms for the last MONTH:

horrid horrid headache that nothing will touch

extreme nausea

extreme mood swings

diahrrea

high blood pressure

dizziness

rambling/loss of thoughts

problems concentrating at work

apathy.. forcing myself to bathe,brush hair, brush teeth

disabling fatigue... must force myself to wake up

unable to maintain my house.... total disaster

i am trying so very hard to beat this demon i've allowed per doctors approval to take over my body and mind. please respond if anyone else feels as if they have had no control of life and made such horrid mistakes as i have :( has ruined my entire life.

#15 2ksmommy

2ksmommy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

in addition to prior post...

my eyes hurt soooo bad

having problems keeping focus

#16 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

I can so relate to 2ksmommy's the headaches are bad enough but the pain in the eyes that I have some days is sheer torture. I live where there is lots of snow and have to have the curtains drawn to dim the light as even on a cloudy day the light hurts sometimes.

I feel bad that it seems that 2ksmommy did not come back after her post here, I wonder how she (my guess by the name) made out and if things are better now. I sure hope so.

#17 2ksmommy

2ksmommy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

i am still struggling with coming off the cymbalta..... developed high bloodpressure and unbearable headaches up my temples and around my eyes.  i have been more frequent in bathing and housekeeping so anything i consider an improvement & accomplishment. on a good note, my husband is supportive and kept me around despite all my mistakes... thank you lady2882nancy for wondering about me. i honestly feel like i was another person for the past couple years... someone i was watching from the outside.

#18 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

2ksmommy, 

I know what you mean about being someone else watching from the outside!  How long have you been Cymbalta free now?

#19 2ksmommy

2ksmommy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

greenmachine,

still not cymbalta free :( weaning for over a month now. i have been on 60 mg for 4 years. i want my life back... the good  the bad the all of it

#20 2ksmommy

2ksmommy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

somedays i just want to give in and go back on cymbalta..... i pray i can tough this out!!!

#21 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

You can tough it out!  Don't quit!  I'm on the other side of it now...been Cymbalta free for a month, and other than a headache here (like right now) or mild mood swing there, I feel really good.  Post more and stay connected here...it really helps.

#22 2ksmommy

2ksmommy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

greenmachine,

how did you come off the cymbalta? thank you for the support!

#23 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

As per my pdoc's suggestion, I went from my normal everyday dose of 60mg to 5 days at 30mg, then stopped completely.  The 5 days at 30mg were horrific as well as the following week after that.  It took about until the 3rd week to start feeling somewhat 'normal'.  I was determined to just get it done and over with, but I wouldn't suggest cold-turkey for any normal adult with normal responsibilities (i.e. work, kids, etc.) because it almost cost me my job and was straining on my family for sure.  But, it can be done.

#24 tomitsu

tomitsu

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

Please don't do cold turkey method. That's what I did after only 1 month of weaning from 60 mg to 30 mg for 30 days - then nothing. I wanted to die. I had diarrhea, nausea, headaches from hell where it feels like a tight band around head, sensitivity to light, shaking, brain zaps, crawling skin, cramps, fatigue, suicidal ideation, depression, anxiety, brain fog, no appetite, and so much more. I waited for 3 weeks to see if these symptoms might pass - they did not. I saw my doc on march 24 2012 and he gave me prescription for Cymbalta BUT I did not open it or take it. I held on and I lived through it as best I could. I still have that bottle of unopened Cymbalta ad a reminder of this horrific nightmare I am still living. Please get the book by Dr. Peter R. Breggin "how to withdrawal from psychiatric drugs" and Bliss Johns book. See my old posts about my ordeal.

#25 2ksmommy

2ksmommy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

tomitsu,

thank you for the advice. I talked to my pharmacist and now I am simply going as many days as possible between doses. Once I start to feel the "tight band around head" as you described I take one simply because I cannot bear the headache that follows. I am trying as best I can to deal with the daily symptoms while working and caring for my family but at times I feel this is more than I can even understand. yesterday I couldn't remember how to sign my name for a UPS package at my office. I sparingly use Xanax to help with the shakes and mood swings. and the most bizarre dreams that wake me in full blown panic attacks... by far the absolute worse thing I've ever dealt with in my lifetime. I am so thankful to have found this website.

#26 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

I know exactly what that feels like to forget your own signature!  I had several of those momentary lapses of reason...horrible.  Are you using any supplements to help, i.e. theanine, magnesium, lemon balm, passionflower, etc.?

#27 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

2ksmommy

You said

I talked to my pharmacist and now I am simply going as many days as possible between doses. Once I start to feel the "tight band around head" as you described I take one simply because I cannot bear the headache that follows.

There is a much easier way to get off. It is the bead counting way and is so much simpler and less painful.

You can find explanations of the bead counting all over the forum

I posted one on March 2 in " I Can't Believe This Drug! " in ARE YOU NEW HERE?

Please check some of the other postings as it will be so much easier

#28 drdrew

drdrew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

This discussion is extraordinay for me on several ways. First, i am trained in psychopharmocology, done academic research on depression, chronic illmess and addiction. The irony here that i have sat with patients who complain about the side effects of these meds, all the while thinking, yeah, yeah, suck it up and be grateful. NOW--as i am experiencing withdrawal, i hope i have the opportunity to apologize and beg for forgiveness for those desperate people that were sufferng more than i had ever imagined. And, who ever blogged about the lack of info and full disclosure regaring this medicine was absolutely right. Having said that, i know that these meds have helped millions emerge from the darkness and hopelessness of depression and chronic pain. However, primary care docs who prescribe the majority of depression meds are not properly trained in treating depression, anxiety, pain, etc.. end up doing "complaint management" and allowing their patients to suffer. Regretably, this will not improve under the current  climate of healthare and reimbursement. Bottom line, we are on our own and must take charge of our health. This site is a very important step to that end. BTW, i am in my second week and have had to take a partial dose when the nausea wont subside. Thank you all!

Gratefully yours

#29 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

Hello and welcome drdrew

Kind of humbling to realize that you were not understanding the scope of the problem isn't it. This is probably the worst med that I have ever gotten off of and would never have expected that it could take so long or cause side effects that could last as long as this one has for some people.

But it does tell you something about this med when it is in capsules and each bead is coated so that it doesn't dissolve too soon.

I did alot of research and found that in powder form this drug can be very hazardous (one of the hazards of being a CRtech and not able to physically do much :ph34r:).

I do agree that this drug probably has helped alot of people, but at what cost.

Unfortunately it is impossible to say what damage has been done as no one is collecting that information.

But we are all here to support and help each other get off Crapalta and you are indeed welcome :).

#30 Kirksd55

Kirksd55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • why_joining:
    Looking for support for withdrawals of Cymbalta.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

Cymbalta sucks !!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users