• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ritamae

Ritamae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:44 PM

Five days ago I missed a dose of Cymbalta. :evil: I decided to go cold turkey so I could feel emotion again. I have been on some kind of anti-depressant for 39 years now. Chemical brain imbalance, don't you know. I am in agony. My whole head is full of jolts, my neck, back and shoulders hurt, my neck sounds like it is full of broken bones, I have day/night sweats, extremly distrubing visual problems, can't concentrate, can't sleep, have intermittent fever, nausea, constant dizziness, body aches, monster headaches (I have migraines) , rapid heartbeat and feel LIKE I AM GOING TO CROAK.

Now for the down side. I am angry, I am becoming rude, have a mean streak, and cry for any reason at all. I took Cymbalta for over a year. It was supposed to be a "wonder drug". Aren't they ALL? Now I wonder why the *#!#!* Lilly ( :evil: ) can even market the stuff.

Good side, I have a fantastic husband and the unconditional love of our 4 year old mini-schnauzer. My husband KNOWS how to treat me well and is an absolute saint.

ARE THERE MORE evil side effects to look forward too? Anyway to ease the symptoms? Anything at all?

#2 LowMo

LowMo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:55 PM

Nausea. . . and intestinal issues.

Be happy you have someone with you. No one will every understand what we are going through, but the fact that you have someone who has the patience to help you through this hell- that is a slight up!

I have been taking lessy drowsy dramamine, a multi-vitamin, omega 3 fish oil and .5 mg of adavan in the morning. I can't say it makes me feel good (what is it to feel good again?) but it helps me to cope a little.

I am on day 11 off of the cymbalta and day 2 on something called EmSam- I have suffered from depression most of my life and have been on various drugs for the past 10 years.

EmSam is a patch, and it is supposed to be a break through (yes I have heard it all before). Honestly, it is my final hope.

#3 nurse87

nurse87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:35 PM

I have been on Cymbalta for at least 5 yrs. I have had to take antidepressants since my son was born. I suffered severe post partum depression. He is now 9 yrs. old. I now am being changed to Wellbutrin because I felt like the Cymbalta no longer was working. I was taking 60mg a day. My doctor decreased me to 30mg for one wk and while I was taking the 30mg I was to start the Wellbutrin 150mg for 7 days then increase to 300 total. It has now been 1 week without any Cymbalta. Last Thursday, day four I completely lost it. All I did was cry. I have a dizzy and lightheaded feeling all day. The only time there is relief from this is while I am sleeping. I have hot flashes, intermittent nausea, and cry "at the drop of a hat". I called my MD Friday morning and explained to her what I am going through. I told her I felt like it must be "withdrawl symptoms". She said she had never heard of people going through this. I am so thankful that I looked Cymbalta withdrawl up on the computer and found this website. I at least feel like I am not crazy and someone understands what I am going through. My husband certainly does not understand at all. I am at the end of my rope with all of this. There are days, like today, that I just want to end it all. I just keep asking myself when will this get better. My MD told me to go back and take the 30mg of Cymbalta and I am supposed to call her in the AM and let her know how I am. I however did not start back on the Cymbalta as she instructed. I do not want to put this medicine back into my body and then have to start all over again when I come off it again. My MD did give me some meds to help with the anxiety which does help some, but when it wears off everything starts all over again. I went to work today and the crying spells come for no particular reason. If anyone has any suggestions please help me. I am desperate. Pam

#4 Ritamae

Ritamae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:13 AM

Pam,

I know how hard it is. I cannot imagine being weaned from Cymbalta to Welbutrin. Welbutrin had nearly the same symptoms of withdrawal. And when I was taking it , there were days that I hardly remember. I did not "feel" anything, at all. Now that you are in FULLBLOWN WITHDRAWAL from Cymbalta, DO NOT TAKE ANY MORE OF IT. I am no doctor, but I DO know what the symptoms are; nightmares, loss of concentration, fever, chills, sweats, back, neck and shoulder pain,visual disturbances, all over aches, brain zaps, (that horrible noise inside your brain that sounds like a buzzsaw eating lighting), stomach ache, mood swings, anger, crying over ANYTHING-bad or good, irrational behavior, loss of balance, muscle spasm, insomnia, and swelling of my hands and feet. I know others have had other problems

Check out this site; http://www.whatwinne...drawal-symptoms

It is more active, you will find sympathy and possible answers.

I have been taking Benedryl as suggested by folks at the other site. Please check it out. It does help.

Rita

#5 nurse87

nurse87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:37 PM

Thank you for the advice and just understanding, noone else does. If the Wellbutrin is going to give me the same symptoms if I come off of it, then I don't want it either. My MD has now given me a prescription for 450mg....I however am only taking 150mg. She is a psychiatrist and I hope she is competent and knows what she is doing but with having withdrawl from the Cymbalta I just did not want to go up too fast on the Wellbutrin. I wish I only had the power & strength to come off of everything. Any suggestions for this. I will check out the other website that you gave me. Thanks....

#6 Ritamae

Ritamae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:55 PM

Oh Pam,
I wish I knew what to tell you. I would not go against a DR.'s advice, but maybe you could find another practitioner ? I know how hard it is. I really, really do. I have suffered through major depression most of my life. I think at this point, I would rather be depressed than be the zombie I am on drugs. I feel like I have wasted so much of my life. I have read lots of books on depression, and just knowing what is wrong with me or how I became depressed, doesn't do a thing for me. I have bad days where I want to stay in bed all day. I want to pull the sheet over me and close my eyes to all that is going on around me. I don't want to spend time out in public when I feel emotional because I am afraid I will start crying for no reason and not be able to stop. I am 58 now and have taken ALL the wonder drugs. :cry: I will not take the drugs any more. I have had it. This is the way I am. If some find me weird or strange, then so be it. I have the right to be me. So what if I can't control everything ? My best friend loves me. Quirks and depression and all. :P I don't need to ask him why. I don't need to explain everything I do to him. I have his love and support.
I do so hope that you have some kind of support system. It helps so much. If I can help you find answers, I will be here for you. Want to talk ? Here I am.
Rita

#7 nurse87

nurse87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:24 PM

Ritamae,
I live in a town that does not have many choices for a practioner. Plus with my insurance I can only go to certain ones. I am also am seeing a psychologist who is wonderful. I just saw her yesterday and it helped me some. I have explained everything to her and she is going to talk to my psychiatrist and see about me either taking a leave of absence from work or going inpatient somewhere. If I go inpt. it will have to be in another town because I am a nurse and I would never want anyone to know that I had to be hospitalized. I am so overwhelmed right now. I hate everthing. I hate work, my husband and my son at times. I have no support system. My husband does not understand. I finally told him that I thought I was going through withdrawl last Friday but it didn't seem to matter. He thinks I am crazy and told me to just take more drugs. Now what kind of response was that. I am even comtemplating leaving him and my child to just get rid of some of the stress. I have talked to my mother a little, but she has the philosophy that the less she knows the better off she is. I have another appt. with my psychologist next Friday and by then I hope I will be able to make some sane decisions. Depression runs strongly in my family. My sister, mother and father all take meds. I guess this will always be a part of my life. I just have to learn how to cope and live with it. Thanks for listening.

#8 LaurieB

LaurieB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:19 PM

I'm on day 3 since going cold turkey. I was prescribed Cymbalta for fibromyalgia (over 2 years ago) but noticed that if I skipped even a day's dosage I would suffer severe anxiety and panic. Out of pure fear of these effects I kept refilling the prescription - not that I ever noticed it helping with the fibromaylgia. So with this long holiday weekend I thought why not stop taking it - at least I'll be at home to battle the withdrawal symptoms. Big mistake! I've been having severe night sweats, day sweats, rapid heart beat, strange muscle pain, ferocious heartburn and oh yes, intestinal distress.

My only solice is that I gained 30lbs while on this drug (within 3-5 months) and now I might finally lose this weight. Otherwise I'm scared about what will happen - continued anxiety, extremely vivid dreams (i.e. nightmares) or God knows what else.

Please tell me that this gets better. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users