• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 julyingamommy

julyingamommy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:23 AM

I stumbled across this page when looking for the side effects of Cymbalta. My doctor just prescribed this for me as I was just diagnosed with postpartum depression/anxiety. I've been on it for 5 days now. I felt really nauseated the first 3 days, and vomited the first day. I'm taking 30mg at night, and he wants me to go up to 60mg at the end of this week. Aside from the nausea, I've had some constipation, decreased appetite (although that might be due to the nausea), some dizziness, increased sweating (like WHOA!) and I've noticed some issues with my attention span. I've never had a problem concentrating or focusing on things but since starting this medication I've noticed an increase in my attention span. I seem to have become focused on something and ignore everything around me. Example: I was watching television and someone was sitting next to me. I was aware of them next to me, and aware of them getting up to do something. They returned to their spot next to me and I didn't even notice. I was so fixated on the television that I didn't notice someone walking in front of me, making noise, sitting next to me, etc. Is this normal? I'm afraid of this happening while I'm driving!

Has anyone been prescribed this medication for postpartum depression? My doctor made it very clear that if I wasn't happy with this, he would switch me to Lexapro. I have a friend who takes Lexapro and she loves it (although she is not taking it for PPD).

Thanks!

#2 Jenofhearts

Jenofhearts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Locationmilwaukee, wi

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

Please do not take this drug, we don't want to see you end up on this forum in a few months with awful withdrawals, go with something else!!
All the best to you, take care,
Jen

#3 iliao93

iliao93

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCamby IN
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawals

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:40 PM

I am joining my caution with the others here. Please, please don't take it! I wish I had been given the warnings and out your being given here and with your doctor, I wouldn't be going through the terrible things I'm suffering now. I had problems like you describe right from the start 4 yrs ago. My doc wouldn't listen and increased my dosage to 90mgs. He still thinks there isn't any problem with this drug and it's all me!
Run, don't walk to your doctor and take his offer...save yourself a lot of pain and suffering.
You are to be commended for doing your homework, keep up the good work, it's always a good & safe practice to check out any drug before taking it.
Be Well and let us know how your doing,
Bobbie

#4 julyingamommy

julyingamommy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:34 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll definitely take my doctor up on the offer to switch to Lexapro. The last thing I need with an infant in the house is to have withdrawl symptoms like what I've read here. That doesn't sound like a good environment.

Again, I appreciate the responses!

#5 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:16 AM

Mommy,
If it is your OB/GYN prescribing the antidepressants for you, then you should probably find a Psychiatrist before you start taking ANY antidepressant for your PPD. There are potential side effects with all antidepressants, and if you are nursing, you need to be extra careful! Unfortunately, OB/GYNs mean well, but they are not educated about these drugs, and should not be prescribing them. Find a good Psychiatrist, maybe one that specializes in PPD, he/she will be better infomed about which drug is best to treat PPD. Again, there are huge concerns about using antidepressants while breastfeeding, and many doctors are not aware of those concerns. So, be careful! Good Luck!

#6 julyingamommy

julyingamommy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:35 PM

Mommy,
If it is your OB/GYN prescribing the antidepressants for you, then you should probably find a Psychiatrist before you start taking ANY antidepressant for your PPD. There are potential side effects with all antidepressants, and if you are nursing, you need to be extra careful! Unfortunately, OB/GYNs mean well, but they are not educated about these drugs, and should not be prescribing them. Find a good Psychiatrist, maybe one that specializes in PPD, he/she will be better infomed about which drug is best to treat PPD. Again, there are huge concerns about using antidepressants while breastfeeding, and many doctors are not aware of those concerns. So, be careful! Good Luck!

No worries - I went to a counselor first to determine whether or not I had PPD and if talk therapy would be enough. She referred me to a psychiatrist for an official diagnoses and he is the one who prescribed the Cymbalta. Actually, my OBGYN won't be aware until my next appointment on Tuesday. :lol: Also - I'm not nursing, so not worried about that aspect of taking medication. Thank you for your concern though, it is appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users