5 replies to this topic

#1 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:41 PM

Eli Lilly is using its extensive network of Drug Reps to downplay the negative aspects of Cymbalta, and to encourage Doctors to prescribe Cymbalta for off label uses. The American Medical Student Association (AMSA) has launched a campaign called "Pharm Free" with the following mission statement: "Reclaiming the ethics of medicine by removing conflicts of interest, and restoring the sanctity of the patient-physician relationship."

Here is a link to a fact sheet from the organizations website:
http://www.amsa.org/...eCheatSheet.pdf

The info sheet has very interesting facts about the influence of Drug Reps on a Doctor's prescribing decisions.

#2 pharmarunner

pharmarunner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:08 AM

As a rep - I found this to be interesting to say the least. However, the sad but true story: The majority of physicians do not spend time educating themselves after medical school. They don't have time - hence why they are sending their medical students to attend dinner programs to learn about new drugs. Physicians get invitations to multiple dinner programs a week - they don't want to go to all of them and I don't blame them. But ultimately they choose what they want to learn and what they don't. That can't be right either. They are our physicians shouldn't they be required to know all the information on a product before prescribing it??? Don't get me wrong - I agree the Pharmaceutical Industry "MUST" change. But my fear is without good, qualified an educated reps there will be far more uneducated phsicians...

#3 pharmarunner

pharmarunner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:58 PM

Interesting info: (may or may not be helpful...)

If it is an illegal FDA practice (eg off-label marketing), you can call (240) 276-9400 and ask to speak to a Special Agent from the Special Prosecutions Unit, or write to

FDA's Office of Criminal Investigations
MWFO-SPU
11750 Beltsville Drive, Suite 200
Beltsville, MD 20705

#4 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:46 PM

Pharmarunner,
Thanks for the info about the hotline!!

I didn't mean to offend you with my "anti Drug Rep" rhetoric...I know there are good, moral drug reps out there earning a clean living. But, the industry is controlling doctor's through the drug reps. And those drug reps have huge monetary incentives to break the rules (the few rules that actually exist). Let's face it, the chances of a rep getting caught and penalized is very small...the FDA just doesn't have the resources to police them.

And unfortunately, most doctors do not educate themselves beyond the 1-2 minute conversations with the drug rep. This system is broke, and needs to be fixed. Cymbalta is the most recent, and perhaps the most egregious, example of the flaws in the system. Patients are dying and committing suicide because of this drug at a higher rate than other antidepressants, yet that fact isn't mentioned on any of the Cymbalta commercials (or other advertising).

G.P.s and other non-psych docs are prescribing this SNRI drug for every ache and pain presented...and these docs have no idea about the potential for dangerous side effects or withdrawal symptoms. Doctors who prescribe drugs that they have not personally researched are breaching their duty of "...do no harm..."

Maybe if we started prosecuting these prescribing doctors criminally when patients die, they might realize that they have a duty to research thoroughly before prescribing any drug!!

#5 gepe

gepe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    I've had depression off and on for most of my life,I'm 55 now.I'm a real person and my Dr has recently said I should try this Cymbalta.After reading on this site......I'm thinking to forget it! Am I right that Efexxor is like this drug? I've had allot of stress in my life over the last 4 yrs and when I get stressed out too much then I get a panic attack.I felt HORRIBLE on that Efexxor,heart palpations,sweating,nausa, terrible anxiety,felt totally medicated like some kind of "druggie".I don't mean this in a funny way either...this is serious!! My Dr too NEVER told me of any bad effects,of either Rx.I'm scared to try this.If anyone has a suggestion or if my comments are of help.

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:04 PM

I'm glad I found this site.I agree about the drug companies not being forth right with any and all info.I was put on Efexxor last yr,it was horrible.I use to take Paxil and it was bad enough,but this was worse.Now my Dr wants me to take Cymbalta,but after reading the posts it looks like a simular drug.I don't need MORE anxiety or problems.
Thanks for posting your comments,this is helpful to me.

#6 DuneAlia

DuneAlia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:57 PM

Delete my account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users