• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 saarijas

saarijas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:05 PM

New to the boards, so I guess here i go. I am currently seeing a psychiatrist for a great deal of social anxiety I have. I am a pretty standard case I have discovered so I will spare you any details. The real reason I come to the board is because I really need to get the experiences I had with my Doc off my chest, and I have a few questions about what I can do to prevent what happened to me happening to others. I began seeing my doctor, she seemed very kinda and affectionate, I am a very straight to business person so we were never better then cordial. She begins by prescribing Zoloft. I explain I really don't want an SSRI, and tell her the withdrawals and side effects and such - and she insists that they are exaggerated claims by a loud minority. I follow her advice, she is a doctor after all. I take it for two weeks, and end up becoming a bi-polar maniac before quitting wish wasn't her idea. I should also mention that through these first meetings (I'm 19) she pushed the impression that the problems I have are the fault of my parents, that they don't realize it but their involvement in my life is damaging. It's slow, she makes logical points, but never allows me to respond - she cuts me off, interrupts me, tells me I am just flat out wrong if I disagree with her. But she is the doctor...

Her next idea was Prozac, two weeks later I am maniac again, and I quit again, with her hesitant approval. She puts me on .5 mg Ativan twice daily, which does nothing, so when she insists on putting me on Cymbalta before upping my dose to 1 mg Ativan daily. I agree pointing out the huge list of reasons I don't want it, and pointing out to her that the main reason I am here is to be able to sleep at night, I want to work out my social phobias with a psychologist. She tells me that doesn't work nearly as well, that my life will continue to be miserable if I don't listen to her. Yes I am quoting her there. She told me to my face, as I am crying over my pains and difficulties that's tearing my family apart that "Your life is horrible and it will continue to be horrible unless you do something about it, and this is what you need to do. Do you want to be miserable for the rest of your life?" I had never said my life was horrible - I had insisted I am very happy with my life but not sleeping greatly interferes with my ability to retain information and therefore in school.

The next time I do my research I come to her explaining to her brain zaps, this that, all those issues I am sure everyone here is familiar about. She flat out denies it, she says those are only listed by federal requirements and aren't actually experienced - and I should trust her cause he pharmaceutical rep told her - as she holds a cymbalta clipboard and pen. She scolds me as if I was a misbehaving child (I have never felt so humiliated in my life) and kicks me out of her office unable to even see straight I am so destroyed by how she was treating me. I had to sit in my car in the parking lot for over an hour to calm myself down before I felt able to drive home. The following meeting, I come prepared - I print off the FDA webpage and the Cymablta webpage statistical information in reference to the occurrence of side effects (which agreed with me rather then her) and she tells me she doesn't know who wrote it or if it could have been faked. I instructed her to use her computer in look it up on the URL I had written down and she tells me it's her policy not to use the computer while with a patient. She ups my dosage to 3mg daily, an extremely high dose, and tells me to take it spaced evenly through out the day totally causing me to accidentally OD (as my prescription was so vague) and causing me to be hospitalized. Where the ER doctor told me if what I said was true about just the ativan the doctor was being irresponsible and just trying to get me to stop complaining the cymbalta was causing me problems. My family insisted I desist from taking, but I had been trained to think (I like to use the term brainwashed) that my family was the enemy in this situation, so whilst I agreed with them - their opinion had been reduced to nothing in my eye, a sin in hindsight.

So as I run into her again I tell her I want off the Cymabalta this is why, and I think she is ill-informed. She scolds me again for not trusting her, and reminded me she is the doctor not those random webpages i find or make up myself. And she says no one is making you take this drug, but refused to write me a script to ween me off or give me any of those free sample packets that she had originally given me to ween myself up. I ended up quitting cold turkey and stopped seeing her, on all my drugs. Caused me a great deal of insomnia, but I have been dealing with that since I was little, so I could handle well, and the occasionally dizzy spell but nothing horrific (thank god).

Now I realize that this is an excessively long post, especially for a first time poster it's borderline rude of me to expect the more experienced members to read this and respond, but I feel she endangered my psychological health and fear she may be damaging others using her 'naughty little boy' techniques and playing the I'm the doctor card to cause others pain and harm. So it all simply boils down to this, any advice?

#2 poppylvr

poppylvr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:38 PM

Bad doctor. Sadly, there are many out there just as bad.
My advice: find a new doctor.

#3 jackbency

jackbency

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    i want to know vitamin12

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:25 AM

Hello Saarijas.
I am Jackbency and I would like to give advise that you should find new doctor because you prefered bad doctor. Every patient need full medical support and good adviser as a doctor. Do not worry about it and change the psychiatrist as soon as fast.
Thanks.

#4 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

Sarri,
I don't know how I ever missed this post. This is totally one of the most awful stories I have
ever heard. I am so sorry for you, and the fact that you even ever went back to this person
at all.

I always learned I was to do the interviewing of a therapist, and if I didn't feel comfortable
with them to keep looking until I found the right one. This one had such "CONTROL" issues,
and obviously was not doing what all good therapists do, and that's to be in therapy themselves.

She was taking out on you, and her other patients her own issues, then projecting them onto
you.

I just hope and pray that you now have found someone that is kind, and compassionate that
is willing to listen, and treat you at the same time.

Debbie

#5 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:40 PM

Debbie

You 'missed' the post because it's from Sept 2008 ;-)

Jun

#6 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:34 PM

Debbie I'm still convinced you're trying to follow threads the hard way. :))

On the main page,under the date, you can just go to 'new posts' or , if the day has 'rolled over' as happens to us in AUst, 'view active topics'.

I suspect you're still going in via each thread - hard work!!

You've commented before that the rest of us have been 'elsewhere' - and that's why.

cheers, Maureen.

#7 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:25 AM

OI!! *waves finger* What's wrong with going in via each thread? That's what I do....

#8 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:45 AM

Well I, for one, am having none of it, d'you hear? :))

I completely lost track of where I was up to doing it that way.

All I can say is you've both got better tracking skills than me, then. hmpf.

This way I figure nothing much gets past my beady eyes.

Your horse was a bit disappointin' . Did you go to the races? I've worked every Melbourne Cup day since I started the business over 18 years ago (can't complain - it'd be worse if I could take it off), so have promised myself I'll go when I've sold the business - about 18 months off.

Maureen.

#9 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:34 AM

Maureen

You can press whatever buttons you like. It's your keyboard ;-)

My horse? Got two in a sweep... don't know their names but I know they are both still running. :-I

I've been to two Melb Cups. Once when I was young(er).. with a g/f. Had a couple of wins that day. Ended up with a 100/1 shot on the race before the Cup... (my g/f put the bet on at the bookies while I stayed in our spot .. ready for the next race which was the Cup) and the darn thing won O_O. Went down to collect and found a $50 note on the ground. I figured there was no point waving it around (I was in the bookie ring) and asking if it belonged to anyone .. so it found its way into my pocket =D That was (gasps) 1979. Went again in the mid 80s with hubby. They were both great experiences. I think all Melburnians should try to go at least once.

Cheers
Junior

#10 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:44 PM

Hi you two,
I knew it was old, but still had to respond to her.
I do now go to read first unread post, or what
ever it says in the righthand corner, and then
see what is writen.

The thing is no one really did respond to her, so
I wondered if that is why she never became a
part of the group?

Debbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users