10 replies to this topic

#1 debs

debs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:04 PM

Hey,

I am new to this site and I can't stop reading. I have been on antidepressants for 2 years and 3 months. The same as my sobriety!! I have had it with them. I have lost all emotions, I feel numb most of the time, tired, and out of touch. I have had enough. This past year I decreased from wellbutrin 300mg. I now take none (yeah). And I was on 120mg of Cymbalta, but now I am on 30mg for the past three months. I am ready for the final plunge! I am scared, I know what withdrawal feels like and I really am afraid. However, I need this. Life is so much better when you can actually feel emotions. I also feel out of sync physically and that is not good. Today is my first day without taking the 30mg. I am going to try the every other day method and them increase to 3 days etc. My doctor said this is pointless to just go cold turkey, but I am not convinced. I already feel the pressure building in my head. I have Zanax if needed. I let you know tomorrow! Good luck everyone.

#2 coco12

coco12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:07 PM

I think that some people (including Drs.) just do not understand what these Meds do our bodies. Reading everyone's comments on here helps me. I'm going to the Drs. tomorrow to see what I can do to help me get feeling better. Today is day 9 without Cymbalta. Eghghghghg I feel crappy!!!!! :roll:

#3 debs

debs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:50 PM

They really don't. Today was day one and so far so good. I know it's gonna be hard but I really think it's worth it. I think drinking tons of water and getting some excercise is important. Let you know how it's going in a few days.

#4 debs

debs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:10 PM

day 2 ----- definitely lots more energy but it's the jittery kind. Getting outside has helped. My head is cloudy and I feel the pressure. Such a crappy feeling. Also, I am starting to have some stomach trouble. Dizziness.

#5 Becky8171

Becky8171

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:10 PM

I was on 40mg of Cymbalta and just switched to Zoloft 50mg. I thought I was going to have severe withdrawal (like I do if I run out for a day) since my doctor didn't taper down the Cymbalta and 50mg Zoloft is a pretty low dose. It's day 5 and I'm happy (and shocked) to say, I haven't had anything except a brief dizziness a few times. Too bad the doctor hasn't listened for a while. I've been saying Cymbalta wasn't doing anything for about a year.
Now I just have to get off lamictal. I'm on 200mg. I didn't take it at the usual time today and was dizzy within 2 hours. :lol:

#6 Susan

Susan

Busy Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:10 PM

Debs~Congratulations on over two years of sobriety. That is terrific. I hit five years on January 1, 2008. Going off Cymbalta has really put a huge strain on my desire to drink, or other things. I broke down and bought a pack of cigarettes. I hate that I picked up anything though.
It has been 39 days at 0mgs of Cymbalta for me. It has and continues to be a bloody nightmare.
I just wanted to comment on the tapering plan you have. From everything I have read and what others have posted, I worry about you choosing the skipping days route. There are some really good suggestions on weaning off Cymbalta on http://www.whatwinne... ... -symptoms/post board. Some people even broke the capsules to wean. The reason I am worried is, because of how Cymbalta works, and the how severe effects the withdrawals can be. It is just my opinion, but I think you would be doing yourself justice to read what others have written about the every other day, into every third day approach. I am just worried that the rebound repercussions will be very intense. I weaned off from 120, 90, 60, to 30mgs and stopped. I has and is still brutal, for me. I wish you luck and keep up the great work on your sobriety.

#7 debs

debs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:00 AM

thanks so much for the info. I will read up on what people have experienced. Today is day 3 and I have not taken a pill the whole time. I am trying the stopping altogether route that everyone has been suggesting. Today was the first day that I felt it as soon as I woke up. Dizzy, short tempered. Also hot flashes. My face gets really hot. I beleive that the end result will be wonderful and I am trying to focus on that. I have a long road. I have been smoking cigs since I stopped drinking! Hate it, but that will be my next vice to quit after the cymbalta nightmare is over. Anything is better than drinking. Be good to yourself. getting off cymbalta is huge. Congrats on 5 years that is amazing.

#8 Susan

Susan

Busy Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:22 AM

Debs~Thank you for replying. Also, thank you on the congrats for 5 years. It has been really hard lately. What with the Cymbalta withdrawals and all. That is why I mentioned my concern. I have been tempted a lot recently. Be strong.
Keep posting. I will look for you.
I agreed with my husband, about a month ago, to quit smoking after this bloody nightmare is over. I just did not realize how long the symptoms would stick around.
It is truly unbelievable.
Good Luck.

#9 debs

debs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:06 PM

OOOHhhh my Goodness. This has been a crazy day. (I am trying to be very positive throughout this whole process) I cannot drive. Absolutely, my reflexes are way off and my dizzy spells are increasing. the brain zaps are taking over. On the positive side. I know that I want to feel again, I want to have emotions again. I started crying when I was listening to a song and it was such a wonderful relief, I don't think I have cried in 2 1/2 years. Crying is good it releases endorphines. So go with it everyone. Think positive. While I am downing my water I imagine that I am flushing this nasty drug out of my system. It is sooo good to be able to log on and express all this. Sharing it with others who understands is helping. And praying. My head is on fire, so I am going to lie down now and think happy thoughts.

#10 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:19 AM

Dear Debs,
After trying the "every other day" method this past fall, I can tell you what it did to me. Every other day I started the withdrawal process. For two weeks. So I went back on and stopped on January 13. Which gives me now 37 days without Cymbalta. Not easy, but I don't feel the need to jump back on the Cymbalta wagon again.

The first couple of weeks, I would take two Omega 3 fatty acids at the same time of day I would take the cymbalta. Trying to give myself the feeling that I took something, so I should feel better. Exercise helps. I go out to pilates classes two nights a week, this helps. My husband and I are working on house projects.

All of my close friends keep telling me what a wonderful, nice, kind person I am. But I feel utterly alone. Two days ago I feel like I hit the absolute bottom, but can still see the top. So, if you can see a top, there is a way out.

I hope you are feeling strong and healthy today.

#11 debs

debs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:51 PM

dear sarah

Thanks so much for your note. I have stopped the every other day method and am back taking my 30mg everyday. I can not believe what a horrible experience this is. I was losing my mind. When I am feeling brave again, I am going to ask the doctor for 20mg. I'll take that for a month and then start cutting it in half. This is horrible. I am so scared to try again. I cannot risk the depression and physical effects of withdrawal. I will keep on looking at the bright side. I will one day be cymbalta free. I will have to be patient and go slow.

I hope you are feeling better, hang in there. That's a huge amount of time to be off it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users