Photo

New to the site and glad to know I'm not the only one!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 makeitstop

makeitstop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:57 AM

I would first like to say that I am SO glad that I found this site. It is comforting to know that there are others out there that have made it through the withdrawal of this "miracle drug" :evil: ...YEAH RIGHT.

I stopped taking my 60mg daily dose of Cymbalta on Sunday. I have been on it for almost 2 years. I used to take it in the morning, so it has been 72 hours since I have swallowed one of those evil little pills. Here is what I have experienced so far:

Day 1 - Not too bad, just a little disorientation and clumsiness.
Day 2 - Crying for no reason, hot and cold flashes, very scary heart palpitations and chest pain, panic attacks, insomnia.
Day 3 (today) - Electrical jolts through my entire body, feeling like I am going to kick the bucket at any moment, feeling that nobody cares, although I have a wonderful boyfriend that is trying to deal with the monster I have become, feeling hopeless, wanting to go to the ER and have them run tests on my heart because I am paranoid that it somehow became damaged, etc... darkened vision, lack of concentration. There are more, but these are the main ones.

I am hoping that there is light at the end of the tunnel, but I cannot see it right now. I called my psych yesterday, she said the withdrawal symptoms should only last 3-10 days. WHAT!?!? From what I am reading, they last much longer than that...

#2 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:11 PM

Unfortunately, the people who prescribe us Cymbalta don't take it themselves. So their frame of reference is what they read from what Lily gave to them. Nor do they understand the emotional part of Cymbalta withdrawal.

Your experience is pretty much mine. Somehow I have made it to day 30 of no Cymbalta after 3.5 on it. Soon I hope you will get to the "oh my goodness, I am laughing again stage". I still have the "what is going on with me" moments, but they are less frequent.

It does help to have somebody to turn to when you are on the edge and ready to jump out of your skin. Best of luck to you, each day does get easier.

The emotional part of withdrawal is what happens after the drug leaves your system. I have no idea how long it takes for your brains to readjust as I don't feel I am there yet, but I do not regret my decision to stop taking Cymbalta. I have to find out who I am again. Best of luck to you, hang in there.

#3 Norther

Norther

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:38 PM

You might find the following book to be of immediate help: "The Antidepressant Solution" by Dr Joseph Glenmullen.

This was published in 2005 and is all about antidepressant withdrawal - and yes, Cymbalta's in there too. In the table on p.93 is a tapering schedule for Cymbalta, that goes 60mg - 40mg - 20mg - 10mg - 0mg. This is for those who have an uncomplicated withdrawal (it is to be modified as appropriate depending upon an individual's response to withdrawal), and the time spent at each drop is roughly a month. So a standard Cymbalta withdrawal from your dose using this type of schedule, given you experienced only mild symptoms, would be expected to take a few months...

Slower tapering methods are also advocated, with the 10% rule-of-thumb reduction helping many individuals - that's reduce by a maximum of 10% of the current dose.

You may find this checklist of withdrawal symptoms useful: http://www.prozacbac... ... ution.html, just access the Appendix link to get your copy. You might find the opening chapter of immediate help, too.

David Healy's information will give you the nuts and bolts of antidepressant withdrawal, and let you know the difference between withdrawal and 'return of the original problem'... http://paxilsupport.... ... gSSRIs.pdf

You will probably find out, very early during your research into Cymbalta withdrawal, that this is neither a new issue, nor an unexpected one - and that your psychiatrist's response to this matter is also neither a new issue, nor an unexpected one.

Despite the fact that is says very clearly on the Cymbalta drug sheet: http://www.rxlist.co...ymbalta_wcp.htm

"Discontinuation of Treatment with Cymbalta — Discontinuation symptoms have been systematically evaluated in patients taking duloxetine. Following abrupt discontinuation in placebo-controlled clinical trials, the following symptoms occurred at a rate greater than or equal to 1% and at a significantly higher rate in duloxetine-treated patients compared to those discontinuing from placebo: dizziness; nausea; headache; paresthesia; vomiting; irritability; nightmares; insomnia; diarrhea; anxiety; hyperhidrosis; and vertigo.

During marketing of other SSRIs and SNRIs (serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors), there have been spontaneous reports of adverse events occurring upon discontinuation of these drugs, particularly when abrupt, including the following: dysphoric mood, irritability, agitation, dizziness, sensory disturbances (e.g., paresthesias such as electric shock sensations), anxiety, confusion, headache, lethargy, emotional lability, insomnia, hypomania, tinnitus, and seizures. Although these events are generally self-limiting, some have been reported to be severe.

Patients should be monitored for these symptoms when discontinuing treatment with Cymbalta. A gradual reduction in the dose rather than abrupt cessation is recommended whenever possible. If intolerable symptoms occur following a decrease in the dose or upon discontinuation of treatment, then resuming the previously prescribed dose may be considered. Subsequently, the physician may continue decreasing the dose but at a more gradual rate."

#4 marko

marko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:33 PM

Hey makeitstop,
I just read a few other postings on this site that basically confirm my suggestion.
Good luck again.

#5 marko

marko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:27 PM

Dear makeitstop,
My first lengthy comment to you, which I must admit was brilliant, somehow didn't get posted, but you can find the gist of it on the board index of this web site (above left) Click on "Weaning off Cymbalta" and then "IT Worked". The following link is just one recommending this process and an explanation for why it seems to work (read through the entire comment):
http://www.healthier...xp1012901c.html
It has worked for me with little or no symptoms and should at least be attempted by anyone suffering this problem.
Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users