#1 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Up all night laying on the floor screaming, crying and shaking. I thought I was going to die, literally. Saw my endocrinologist this morning. He didn't think it was related to my testosterone. I then saw my psychiatrist. She said that at 5 weeks post cymbalta it could still be withdrawal or even the return of my old symptoms. She did mention that cymbalta was the hardest ssri to get off of. I told her that last night was my first night to try lemon balm and when after 3 hours I still couldn't sleep I took an over the counter sleeping aide, dioxylamine. She said that the two antihistamnes that are used as sleep aides (dioxylamine and diphenhydramine) react with many herbal medications and can cause panic attacks, fainting, drops in blood pressure... No more lemon balm for me and no more otc sleep aides. She wrote me a prescriptin for hydroxyzine pamoate for sleep. I can't take ambien, seroquel or lunesta. She also wrote me a prescription for xanax. She said put one under toungue when I need to and let it dissolve until I get relief then spit out the rest. I put one under my tounque and let the whole thing dissolved and it barely dented the panic/fear. It was really fun seeing the drs while I scream, shake and cry. NOT If this is a reaction with the lemon balm it should subside soon. If it is still withdrawal then it should get better slowly. If it is the return of my symptoms it should get worse. (oh joy) Keep your fingers crossed for me.

#2 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hang in there fishinghat

You can beat it all!

I know you can make it.

#3 goldenneko

goldenneko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:11 AM

Hang in there fishinghat. 

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

Well, I spent the reas of yesterdey still crying, screaming and living in fear. I took the xanax three times yesterday with abolutely no effect. Last night a 7 PM I took my third xanax, my regular clonidine, 2 hydroxyzine sleeping pills, and buspar. By 9 pm, if anything, I was worse.Got into the car and my wife drove me to the ER. They gave me one antvan and said I would be asleep in an hour. At 11:00 still screaming, panicing, crying and pacing. Dr. said "wow, you have a problem". Do you think? They gave be another antivan. I have now been 36 hours without sleep. But the second ativan did the trick and I finally crashed. My panic/fear is much less this morning, probably from left over antivan in my syste. The problem with the bezos for me is they cause this miserable fatiqued feeling. I can barely move this morning. Well guys the question is did teh antivan break the panic/fear cycle and now I can start to calm down or will everything melt down again. Time will tell.

Good news though, I finally got my testosterone replacement therapy going. Imagine, something actually went my way!!! lol

#5 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

I'm glad you got some relief fishinghat

We know that Crapalta withdrawals can cause all the symptoms you have been experiencing so lets just pray that the cycle was broken.

One good thing probably came out of it, your doctor will pay a little more attention to you going forward.

Keep up the fight.

It will get better - I'm sure of it.

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

Thanks lady.My dr is a pretty good egg. She likes to pus the pills but when I started with I told he how I felt about meds and she has been very supportive. I can say that I was supprised how serious her and her staff take cymbalta withdrawal. It is a big thing to them. There ar a lot of facilities and dr who don't thimk that way. I know!! I used to go to some of them before I fired them!

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

Well what a trip. I did a lot better today. My psychiatrist called and checked on me this morning and again this afternoon. I feel like everything in me has been drained away.She said given the severity and the fact it only lasted 24 hours she is convinced that it was a reaction between the diphenhydramine (sleeping pill) and the lemon balm.She said if it was my old symptoms coming back they wouldn't just go away like that.

I hate to give any credit a psychiatrist but it was very nice of her to call and check on my situation.

I still have some withdrawal symptoms (light) but I have to admit this experience has really shook me up. I was a blubbering terrified mess. It is probably going to take a few days to get my mojo back. Anyway, I have some medicine to help me if it comes back.

I hope you all have been doing well while I have been 'busy'. lol

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Oh yea. I forgot to mention that I finally got on my testosterone patchs so many I can start taking care of some of the damage that crapalts caused.

#9 CymbaltaCrap

CymbaltaCrap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:
    To find support and information regarding the weaning off Cymbalta. Also to help and support others in similar situations.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

I hope you're ok fishinghat!! Wow we all have to 'hang in there' don't we!!?? :) It's so hard to know what effects are from the Cymbalta or from other medications (herbal or otherwise!)

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

You are exactly right cymbaltacrap. This stuff can screw you up in soooo many ways. I can tell you are having another one of those nights where it is hard to get to sleep. I wish you the best CymbaltaCrap.

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

GreenMachine - After 12 weeks of fighting with the insurance they FINALLY approved Androderm patchs for my testosterone replacement therapy. My doctor said that my natural t production should begin to phase in any time so only put me on a very low (4 mg/day) dose. He said the lower dose would be less likely to hold back natural production as I recover from cymbalta and also would be less risk of over medicating.

Any words of wisdom about using the patches? Thanks for the help.

#12 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Oh man!  Androderm gave me the nastiest site allergy ever...it left welts on me where I applied it that just itched beyond belief...hopefully it doesn't do that to you, but I just remember clawing and raking my skin without relief  :ph34r:

But, as far as what your doctor says about not holding your natural test production back while on exogenous testosterone...I disagree; in theory it sounds like it may work, but it rarely plays out like that...from what I've seen happen from my own experience and others, any amount of exogenous testosterone will inhibit the negative feedback loop of the hypothalamic-gonadal axis, and the low dose will likely keep your levels where they would be naturally at a subfunctional level resulting in having to increase the dose anyway...in my opinion, TRT should be approached with the plan of forever...just my $.02...

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

I am afaid you are right. I have heard the same thing also. But the only other choice is to do nothing until after 3 months cymbalta free (early May). BY then if my testoserone is going to come back it would have. But like you said it is most likely forever. Time will tell. Thanks for your input.

#14 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

Well I can report that the meltdown that fishinghat had isn't an isolated case. It can happen as a result of Cymbalta withdrawal.

I wasn't going to post this but then as I thought about it today I decided that maybe it will help someone else to know about it just as knowing about fishinghat's experience helped me yesterday.

I was dealing with anxiety and had a few small panic attacks of short duration while tapering off and now I have been off completely for 16 days.

Yesterday I woke up feeling anxious, but I had an appointment with my counsellor who I really like talking to so didn't think much of it.

We met at the hospital as usual, but shortly after we started I went into a full anxiety attack. This lasted for much longer than my previous little panic attacks even with the Ativan that they gave me. When my doctor got there and reviewed my vitals (bp, heart rate etc) that they took during the attack, he finally decided that I couldn't continue like this and has given me an anti-anxiety med and changed my hydroxyzine from as needed to twice a day.

I feel very depressed and disappointed about having to take another drug to deal with the side effects caused by Crapalta, but at this point I don't think there is anything else that I can do.

I was put on Cymbalta for chronic nerve pain for fractures in my spine and Osteoarthritis which it was supposed to help with.

Unfortunately, I am one of those people who never should have been put on Cymbalta, it almost killed me while I was on it and it is still causing me problems.

But I will not give up. I will be healthy and whole again in my mind. No matter what I will get me back!!!!!!

I will be forever grateful to the person(s) who started this site and to all those who have been here already and succeeded in getting off cymbalta. I am especially grateful to the ones who were here when I got here and to all the ones who are here now.

I know that I cannot do it alone and I pray that there is always someone here for the next person until they finally do something about this terrible drug.

#15 Kittencat

Kittencat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCali
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta sucks

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:04 AM

Amen

#16 CymbaltaCrap

CymbaltaCrap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:
    To find support and information regarding the weaning off Cymbalta. Also to help and support others in similar situations.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Wow lady2882Nancy!! I haven't been on here for 2 weeks I think. Just been busy with work/family and feeling pretty good. It was always in the back of my mind to come back on and check how people are going. I can't believe reading your post above because I had an 'episode' 2 days ago, like I've never had before! It wasn't particularily bad, more irritating and unusual (although my husband would probably say it was bad). I had been up to taking only 90 beads in each capsule (that's having 90, not taking 90 out). A tarp had been stolen off the back of his ute a few months ago when I was using it and I still feel bad and he mentioned it and I flipped out!! After I flipped out I got all hot and shaky and really was not myself! It didn't last too long and really wasn't that bad as I said (I've had worse experiences with post natal depression and post traumatic stress disorder) but it's just funny (not) that I come on here and read your story!

Anyway lady2882Nancy you can do it!!! You know you can!! Don't worry that you are now taking something to help with your anxiety, it's because of this evil poison that you're now taking something else! You did it!! You got off it, so good for you girl!!!

Take one day at a time now. We know that it could take months for this cymbalta crap to get out of OUR bodies, so take it easy ok!!??

#17 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Thanks CC

I hope you read the thing about blood sugars as it sounds like that may have been happening for you along with the temper.

I had an allergic reaction to my new anti-anxiety med so am trying to manage without. It was a bit of a set back as I had a return of some of the side effects that had been easing off up til that point.

Today I found out that the L-theanine really helps with anxiety and irritability by forgetting to take mine and making everyone around me miserable lol.

Good to hear from you.

Take care of you

#18 CymbaltaCrap

CymbaltaCrap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Where is the piece about blood sugars lady2882Nancy? And I'm going to get some L-theanine. I think cymbalta wouldn't be cymbalta without setbacks! You are well on your way, you will do it! :)

#19 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

I'm having another absolutely crappy afternoon with mood swings from crying in despair to out of control rage.

I don't know what is worse the mood swings or the knowledge that I have been off for 24 days now and still feel sick.

This drug should not be given to anyone without a complete psychiatric work up first. Any little emotional issue you have ever had in your life, even the ones that you have dealt with, comes back to you 10x's worse than it originally was.

Thank you for the encouragement CC. It couldn't come at a better time.

Here are some links to observations and conclusions about blood sugar levels and the effects on us

https://www.cymbalta...ng-observation/

https://www.cymbalta...ugar#entry29869

https://www.cymbalta...ugar#entry26023

The last one is interesting as the member is diabetic so has been tracking blood sugar levels all the time.

Definitely supports my idea of low blood sugar being part of the problem.

CC - Thanks for asking where these are as I found some that I missed before that are very helpful for me too

#20 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

I can identify with the mood swings. I periodically swing from panic to crying to agitation to anger about every 2 hours and then settle back down to minor agitation til the next two hours is up. Nothing like crying your eyes out while eating dinner!!! lol UGGGHHH

#21 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

Thanks fishinghat, I think I just had my first real good laugh of the day.

I wonder why symptoms that we identify with so completely that are way out there for being strange can seem so hilariously funny.

Do you have problems swallowing the food when crying? I sure do.

#22 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

I am a man Nancy, I wouldn't have trouble swallowing an elephant!!! Just put a some ketchup on it and take a deep breath!!! lol

#23 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hey Nancy, all kidding aside, cymbalta can screw up not only testosterone in men like I have but it can mess up a ladies estrogen as well. Have you had your checked lately to see if it may be contributing to your symptoms?

#24 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

I'm post menopausal, there's not much that can happen that way unless it causes it to increase.

On the other hand, both men and women have testosterone so maybe I need to get him to check both.

Hubbie says "Yes" lol

#25 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

That tells you that things haven't changed in the bedroom yet doesn't it.

No one is allowed to touch me at all as it makes me very uncomfortable and I'm wondering how long this is going to last.

This is also a complete opposite as to the way I was. I come from a family who hugs when we meet and hugs when we part.

These days I don't even want anyone to sit very close to me.

#26 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

I understand. I get so agitated and restless it is hard for my wife to set next to me with out it putting me over the edge.

#27 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

Well, I guess it is time to update everyone. My new numbers show that my testosterone has finally returned to the normal range!! YEA

My estrogen is also normal. YEA    But even with this good news there is still bad. Still absolutely no labido or sexual function. My doctor says that it is quite possible PSSD (permanent loss of part or all sexual function due to having taken an ssri). (If interestedd in PSSD just look it up on wikipedia). The doctors say that I should give it another 8 weeks before I give up hope. They said it would take around 6 weeks for my breast pain to subside now that my estrogen is normal. The low testosterone caused depression (a new experience for me). Even though my testosterone is back to normal they said my depression will fade a little bit more but expect to have some residual depression when it is all said and done. I hope it fades a LOT more. I have feelings of despair, hopelessness, fear and crying nearly all day. My psychiatrist is considering what to do about the situation right now. She knows I can't go back on an SSRI like cymbalta again because of my sore breasts and hormone levels,. She will let me know what she suggests in the next few days.

I don't know if I can explain this clearly but I will give it a try. I have never felt like I was hopeless, lost or worthless in my life. I have always had strong fellings of good self-worth. I STILL feel that way now, especially consciously BUT My emotions are telling me the exact opposite. Even though I KNOW I have value and feel good about myself my subconscious is tell me that I am a worthless idiot in and things are hopeless. It is like two people arguing in my head. My psycholigist says that is mornal for low testosterone males and those bad feeling should improve a little more BUT there will be some residual depression when all is said and done. OH THANK YOU CYMBALTA FOR YOUR MANY WONDERFUL GIFTS!!!! :( For right now I just hope at least the fear and crying subsides.

Thanks for listening everyone and for all your support.

I will update this thread in a few weeks to let you know how it all shakes out.

#28 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

fishinghat

That is real good news and yet bad news at the same time, BUT do not give up hope !!!!!

You have to keep trying and not listen to those emotional voices. I know they are hard to ignore but don't listen to them. You and GreenMachine saved my life and helped me get through this awful experience. It's still awful in some ways, but there is hope now whereas when I first got here I had no hope.

“No one is useless in the world who lightens the burden of it for anyone else.” ~ Charles Dickens

You have helped so many and are still helping. It takes alot of courage and inner strength to keep encouraging others in their struggle when you are still struggling yourself. You have always been here for me and I know how hard that has been.

Do not give up, step back and regroup, but never give up.

You are the best

Take care of you N and your wife

#29 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

Thanks Nancy, I will hang in there and time will tell.

Crapalta...The medicine that just keeps giving and giving!!!  May it rot in hell.

#30 Kittencat

Kittencat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCali
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta sucks

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

Yes! To Hell it must go!

0 user(s) are reading this topic